Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local HD Channels Yellow Screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

We recently had local HD channels come on-line. About once per day one of them will go to a solid yellow screen, the audio can still be heard. It has never happened on any other channels or happened before the local HDs came on-line. This is using a VIP622. I am using a wing dish pointed for 61.5 for the locals and signal strength is about 50. After a bit the video is visible again. Not sure if it is happening on more then one channel as I haven't paid attention to that... will have to look next time it happens.

Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

We recently had local HD channels come on-line. About once per day one of them will go to a solid yellow screen, the audio can still be heard. It has never happened on any other channels or happened before the local HDs came on-line. This is using a VIP622. I am using a wing dish pointed for 61.5 for the locals and signal strength is about 50. After a bit the video is visible again. Not sure if it is happening on more then one channel as I haven't paid attention to that... will have to look next time it happens.

Any ideas?

I have seen the exact same thing, but only with the 722, never with the 222, and just as you affecting only the local (digital) OTA channels.

It does not occur often. Perhaps 2~3 times a week

What I see occurring prior to the yellow screen is perfectly timed momentary pixelation happening at approx 29.5 second intervals. The 722 will occasionally report momentary signal loss, other times it will give the yellow screen, still other times it will do nothing except miss a frame or two of both video and audio. Also seems to occur on just that one channel (UHF digital channel 31, remapped to 11.1) CBS (KHOU Houston, TX)

#3 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:51 AM

As a follow-up to this, the bottom line of what is occurring is that the OTA signal is actually being lost, ie, dropping out completely, as in the station going off the air (or something wrong with your OTA antenna or the cable coming from it)

We witnessed this again last night except this time it was on the local ABC affiliate (KTRK) - Their entire digital system went down, the main channel and all the sub channels along with it. All came up with the yellow screen. In our case audio was lost too, but I've also seen it where only video was lost.

Further, this time the signal loss lasted several minutes, long enough for me to go in the bedroom and check the other receiver (222). It too had a yellow screen, but also had a banner overlay explaining what the problem was.

The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...