Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Neighbor controlling TV2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mbrown2097

mbrown2097

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hi guys,
I was watching TV on tv2 last night and all of the sudden my guide popped up and began rolling. Then a channel was selected. I changed the channel back but then it happend again. It was sort of a rf tug of war. Has anyone else seen this? Can the frequency be changed to stop this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:22 AM

Happens all the time. Look in the user manual and the steps needed to change the remote to a different frequency is clearly described.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

Fortunately you have a large number of channels to choose from in setting up your remote for TV2. In the late 70's I had a garage door opener with a hard-coded freqency that was one of only five freqencies used by that manufacturer. A year after installation the door started opening and closing on its own. A neighbor had installed the same brand opener with the same freqency. Our only solution was to remove the small antenna from the receivers. This cut the range to about 50 feet so neither of us interferred with the other.

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

Happens all the time. Look in the user manual and the steps needed to change the remote to a different frequency is clearly described.

A few years ago Dish was sending out new and refurbished receivers all set to CH 1. Now the channels are randomly chosen. It is much less common to have this interference occur now - but it obviously does occasionally. :lol:

#5 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

Yep - RTFM on changing UHF remote channel.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Am I the only one peeved that DISH doesn't offer a way to use the UHF remote to control TV1?

I'll be using my 722 as a dual tuner HD box, but I wanted to put it somewhere that wasn't line-of-sight.

Alas, without IR repeaters, I can't do that when there's a perfectly good UHF remote for TV2 that will go unused. :(

#7 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:18 PM

You can use a UHF remote to control TV1. Search is your friend :)

#8 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

Just putting the 722 in Single mode lets the TV2 UHF remote control TV1 (Shared View does need to be enabled).

#9 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

In the late 70's I had a garage door opener with a hard-coded freqency that was one of only five freqencies used by that manufacturer. A year after installation the door started opening and closing on its own. A neighbor had installed the same brand opener with the same freqency.

In the late 50's or early 60's one of the first satellites (Sputnik?) broadcast on the same frequency as certain brands of garage door opener, and every time it passed overhead, garage doors all across America opened (or closed).

-Chris
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

Just putting the 722 in Single mode lets the TV2 UHF remote control TV1 (Shared View does need to be enabled).

That's exactly what I do with my 622.

BTW: I have a spare RF remote that was from a 942. When they sent me the 942 they gave me 2 TV-2 remotes and no TV-1 remote (i.e. they are both RF). I called tech support and instead of sending me an IR remote all they sent me was the green plastic "TV-1" insert. The prongs on the insert were different which may reprogram an RF remote to work as a TV-1 remote.

About the same time that the plastic insert arrived, so did my surprise 622. So I never did try the RF TV-1 remote, however I bet it is entirely possible to get an RF remote to work on TV-1 as a TV-1 remote. All the remotes are the latest 6.3 versions.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...