Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Closed captions controlled by tv instead of 612?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   douga

douga

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hello:

This is my first post, so...hope this is appropriate.

When I had a 625, it seemed as if the closed captioning could be controlled by the TV (the TV remote, anyway). With the 612, it seems as if only the 612 can control closed captioning.

Is there anyway to "pass through" tv commands so that the tv remote controls closed captioning. Failing that, is there a shortcut key for closed captioning so that I don't have to go through the menu to get captions?

Thanks for your advice.

Doug

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

This is actually a HD delivery issue and from what I know all HD DVRs have to handle CC internally. With the SD, the CC was passed through on the signal and the TV decoded it. This is no longer the case with HD... Well atleast not now.

As far as I know.. there is no way to do this.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

This is actually a HD delivery issue and from what I know all HD DVRs have to handle CC internally. With the SD, the CC was passed through on the signal and the TV decoded it. This is no longer the case with HD... Well atleast not now.

As far as I know.. there is no way to do this.

I stand to be corrected but I don't think it's an HD or DVR issue. Has to do with how your TV is hooked to your Sat Reciver or other means of program delivery. If the TV is fed by composite or rf normally the captioning is passed through and is controlled by the tv. If fed by HDMI or component (not sure about the component) it controlled by the sat receiver, DVD player etc. Personally I like the latter as it allows you to change the text style, background color, translucent/transparent/solid etc. White lettering on a black translucent background looks nice to me and allows you to see whats behind the captioning.

#4 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

That's because composite and RF are SD only feeds. They will not carry HD and therefore what Ron suggested still holds.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#5 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

Well, just try watching an HD program from an HD receiver on as SD tv once with the captions on the tv turned off. :-) The point I was trying to get across is that on an SD tv (composite/rf) or even an HD TV if connected via composite/rf is that the tv controls the captioning. The HD receiver adds the captioning to the composite/rf feed whether the HD recievers captioning is on or off.

This whole HD/SD HDMI vs composite deal when talking about captioning reminds me of all the confusion with picture formatting and screen ratios.

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

Yep.. GravelChan.. Good points.. I was mainly talking about the delivery of it through the HD outputs (Component/HDMI) as ChuckA eluded to. Thanks for filling in the details guys.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   douga

douga

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for all the clarification.

My second question was: is there a shortcut key to turn CC on and off on the 612?

I'm assuming the answer is no, simply because no one brought it up.

Thanks.

Doug

#8 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

I don't have a 612, but this is a frequent complaint of the 622/722. On those receivers there is no short cut way to turn CC on/off, so I only assume that is the same case with the 612.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#9 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:02 AM

Accessing CC on the 612 is just as cumbersome as it is on the 622.

Menu-8-7-1-Left-ON or OFF/Right/Done/View Live TV

David

Protected By... spam firewall...And...