Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How good is the Super Home Node for OTA antenna?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tpcshadow

tpcshadow

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

I would like to use the Super Home Node to combine the outputs of a dual tuner model with an OTA antenna like the attached image. Is the SHN a good option? Or would it be better to go with discreet components (preamp, combiner, splitter)?

Attached Thumbnails

• shn.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   rodent

rodent

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:08 AM

I would like to use the Super Home Node to combine the outputs of a dual tuner model with an OTA antenna like the attached image. Is the SHN a good option? Or would it be better to go with discreet components (preamp, combiner, splitter)?

I currently use the SHN to combine the modulated channel 69 output of my ViP622 DVR for TV2, along with an OTA antenna and get great results, although I had to buy a low-pass filter to keep the amplified antenna from disturbing channel 69.

The low pass filter that I bought was from Solid Signal, the ChannelMaster LPF-750, solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=CPLPF-750 - it passes off-air channels 2-60 (CATV channels 2-116). It does not pass TV 65-69 (CATV 121-125) so you can insert your TV2 output using one of those channels and it should be pretty clear.

Without the low-pass filter, regardless of which modulated channel I chose for TV2 output, it was snowy and grainy on the TV2 TVs after it passed through the SHN. If I unplugged the antenna feed from the SHN, then the picture would improve, so I knew it was the antenna. I was originally under the impression that the SHN had some kind of low-pass filter built in and would make room for the modulated TV2 signal, but that wasn't the case. I am wondering now that depending on how many TVs you need, you might not even need a super home node. Just get a 2-way splitter/combiner and combine the TV2 and antenna feed (put the low pass filter on the antenna line before the splitter/combiner or SHN) and then send that combined feed to a splitter for distribution to the TVs. I'm sure there'd be some signal loss but it might be acceptable. I'm not sure if this would broadcast your TV2 output over your antenna, though the low-pass filter would probably stop it since it doesn't pass channels

Protected By... spam firewall...And...