Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Use of existing smart card on new Dish box

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   garyparriott

garyparriott

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

I currently use a Dish 721 DVR. If I were to purchase a Vip722 will my existing smart card work with it? Is there some other steps that need top be taken to make the new DVR functional? I'd like to maintain my current SD plan and go to HD some time in the future.

Any suggestions on the scenario outlined, other then why etc, etc.

Thanks,
Gary

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

I currently use a Dish 721 DVR. If I were to purchase a Vip722 will my existing smart card work with it? Is there some other steps that need top be taken to make the new DVR functional? I'd like to maintain my current SD plan and go to HD some time in the future.

Thanks,
Gary

No. The Smart Card is built inside the 722. Although there is an exterior slot for a smart card on the 722, it is inactive.
Once you have your new 722, just call DISH to have it activated.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

I'd like to maintain my current SD plan and go to HD some time in the future.

As Ken says, you have to activate the new receiver and it will use its "internal card". You might as well spring for the $10 HD programming though since activating a VIP receiver on an "SD Plan" will add $7/month for failure to subscribe to HD Programming. $3 more gets you the HD programming. I was able to activate a VIP receiver electronically (no CSR), but it was a replacement and DISH knew the R00..., S19... that they had sent me.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

Even though the 722 has an internal card, it can use an inserted card, but not the one out of your 721.

Dish is planning to replace ALL cards in the future to foil signal theives, you'll get one in the mail from Dish.

The card and the receiver must be"married" or matched by Dish or it will just shut down everything.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:24 PM

I currently use a Dish 721 DVR.
If I were to purchase a Vip722 will my existing smart card work with it? --->No.
Is there some other steps that need top be taken to make the new DVR functional? --> No. Just add it to your existing subscription.
I'd like to maintain my current SD plan and go to HD some time in the future. ---> You could, but you'll pay $7/mo for HD DVR if not subscribe to any HD package.

Thanks,
Gary

No suggestions. ;)

#6 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Depending on what package you have it may be better to pay the $7 HD enabling fee. The Family package works best for me so adding the HD would require $13 to upgrade to the AT100 plus $10 for the HD addon.

spam firewall