Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The April Charlie Chat Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 04:43 PM

Next Charlie Chat:

Monday, April 8th
9:00 p.m. ET live
Channels 101, 251, & 490

Suppose they will mention anything about a Dishplayer upgrade? :lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 04:53 PM

I certainly hope he mentions something regarding the dishplayer.

I hope we here more on the 721.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 05:15 PM

What's a dishplayer? :rolleyes:

How about any preliminary info about the 921? When will the 501 get the search function?
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 11:21 PM

Be ready for 30 minutes of Merger information complete with e-mail adresses, web sites and Congressmen's names.

At least one mention of YES (still can't get solid info on this other than they're still talking).

CC Autopay! :)

Calls about PBS National and why you can't get it any more in areas with local channel availability.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

#5 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 11:49 PM

How about a mention of this "exciting" new OpenTv channel that will allow us to (presumably) do many of the account management functions which can be done at dishnetwork.com but do them on the receiver?

I bet that one of the primary functions is (of course) a large button (some will say it's an AD) to sign up for CREDIT CARD AUTOPAY right from the remote control! :P

It'd be nice, though, if they could actually offer locals info and signup thru this app. Seems like it might be something that would reduce CSR calls for those that don't have a computer.

Also some info on the roll out of the Customer Support App. Will it essentially be in the same order they rolled out DISH Home? In that case, I'll probably get it fairly quickly once they start sending it. I own an early 4900 (actually IS a 4900 though, always has been. It didn't become one via software.).

#6 OFFLINE   edward bruzek

edward bruzek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 03:47 PM

I wouldn't expect any news on the Dishplayer. On the last retailer chat Charlie mentioned the problems he is having with Micosoft. Seems they have lost interest in the Dishplayer.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 March 2002 - 05:01 PM

They will probably have a big big announce a multi-year carriage contract with ABC, thus ensuring continued carriage of ABC's channels and the return of ESPN Classic. Of course, we would know for about a week already.

Also, a YES update....
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#8 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 05:54 PM

What is up with Credit Card Autopay? It seems like E* is hell-bent on promoting this. They force you to enroll in it if you want to participate in any of their deals/discounts. It's mentioned every 5 seconds on the Info channels or Charlie Chats. Is CCAP something that D* doesn't have and E* is trying to boast about it in order to compete?

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 06:59 PM

Both E* and D* offer CC auto pay

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2002 - 09:24 PM

The search feature has already been added to the DishPVR501. I was surfing my guide, and a little search thing popped up and went back to my guide again. I checked my menu, and sure enough. "Themes and Search" is there now. Too bad no keyboard with this one, but we can't have it all. :)

http://www.geocities...tomer/Dish.html

#11 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 31 March 2002 - 09:30 PM

I'm sure you could tell who that unregistered guy was. :) I REALLY hope Charlie adds at least one high-quality basic channel soon. There are MANY that could please many customers, and a couple that need to be added BACK.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#12 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 09:03 AM

I would like to see the local channels renumbered to their actual numbers. I was at a friend's who has Directtv and it sure made it easy to use the local channels when DirectTv has them listed under their normal numbers. (Local Channel numbers were < 100)

Yes I know this isn't a very important change just a nicety :)

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 09:19 AM

Actually it was mentioned on the last Charlie Chat they are currently working on software which will remap your local channels to their proper local channel numbers.

Sounds like a cool idea, I just hope that feature can be turned off on my Dish 6000 because my local HD stations map themselves to stations as well.

#14 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Actually it was mentioned on the last Charlie Chat they are currently working on software which will remap your local channels to their proper local channel numbers.

Sounds like a cool idea, I just hope that feature can be turned off on my Dish 6000 because my local HD stations map themselves to stations as well.

In reverse, I was at my in-laws who have E* and it drove me crazy the our local channel 4 was actually channel 719. On D*, channel 4 is channel 4.

At least they are there, just some extra numbers to try to remember.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#15 OFFLINE   slojim

slojim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 04:21 PM

AutoPay also generates a lot of money to E*.
Anyone ever cancels, switches to D, etc. there are absolutely no refunds of money credits due.
Jim

#16 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 11:24 AM

Actually, I thought what happened was that E* would keep that money in your account with them, should you ever return. I agree though, that it is shady that they won't refund it by sending someone a check or similar type idea.

I wonder how much interest they collect simply from these customers' funds that are just sitting in an E* interest-bearing account?

#17 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 07:53 AM

For those of you who cant see the chat, our Transponder Chart God, TNGTony will post his world famous Charlie Chat recaps here after the chat is complete. (At least I hope he will) :D

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:16 PM

I hope that Charlie says Dish is adding Trio and Goodlife Television. (B-Mania tv is way too much to ask for)

#19 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:44 PM

I want info on the 721, the return date of ESPN Classic, information on the Dishplayer Upgrade and no mention of Credit Card autopay. :D

#20 OFFLINE   psecic

psecic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:57 PM

Originally posted by DBSOgre
I'm sure you could tell who that unregistered guy was. :) I REALLY hope Charlie adds at least one high-quality basic channel soon. There are MANY that could please many customers, and a couple that need to be added BACK.

Like BBCWorld. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

spam firewall