Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intallation Verification

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   NYCEGUY01

NYCEGUY01

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:51 PM

Im sure on a self install getting the waiver will be no problem. After the waiver is issued they will activate the reciever on the same call.

As far as the roll back DTV wont send a truck unless the customer agrees to pay the svc fee or an upgrade fee.

The only exception is if the customer has the PP.

I roll on PP svc calls weekly and find splitters etc.. and a new IRD from bestbuy.
At that point its custom labor or they call in and get the Upgrade WO from DTV.

The only real problem I see coming is time. Ive gotten spoiled with these new recievers compared to the old Tivos that seemed to take forever to get running.

Any descent tech ( of which there is a shortage unfortunatly) checks sig. levels etc.. long before getting on the phone to activate etc.. For those guys this wont be a problem at all. IMO

#22 OFFLINE   EricJRW

EricJRW

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts
  • LocationKeller, TX

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

Very interesting read, as I continue my wanderings in these forums...

This thread made me wonder something, is there a do it yourself guide for checking the install? I played, briefly, with the signal stength screen and what I saw looked good, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at, or if I'm even looking at everything.

Thanks and sorry if that was a bit off-topic.

Eric

DTV: SIR-TS360 7/25/2004
DTV: HR21-200 7/05/2008

DTV: AM21-700 7/10/2008
DTV: HR22-100 5/15/2009

FTV: QIP6416/QIP2500 4/25/2013

#23 OFFLINE   looney2ns

looney2ns

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

Sounds like the beginning of a horror story. :eek2:

#24 OFFLINE   jimht

jimht

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

There are some hacks that are hacks because they haven't been trained. This process *should* help identify individual installers and sites that are need of more/better/any training. If a particular sites trainer is a bum and doesn't do anything and the data supports that (lots of waivers from all techs, etc) they won't blink an eye about replacing him. Same with an individual that has to get waiver after waiver after waiver. He either gets retrained or replaced.

Then their are hacks because they simply do not or no longer care. These guys, just need to go, period. Nothing will fix a bad attitude.

As an installer, I'll defend by brethern when they are thrown under the bus unjustly until I'm blue in the face. By the same token, when they deserve it, I'll be in the drivers seat of said bus.

OK. "Firing up the weed whacker" sounded pretty brutal. Most people given the opportunity and ability will do a good job.

#25 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

Robert - Very enlightening post and follow-up discussion.

I have a question about the "lock" situation if the box fails IV - what if the customer has a 6 month old system, two spare ports on their WB68, and picks up a new receiver at Costco for self-installation, and it fails IV? Will the customer still be able to get a "waiver" to activate the receiver? Or is the box locked and a roll is needed?

The reason I ask is that when my Slimline was installed in early 2007 it was perfect, but around 4 months I started having problems and it took numerous truck rolls and 2 more months for the LNB assembly to be replaced, eliminating my problems. If the IV was in place in 2007 and I tried to add a new receiver in month 4 or 5, who knows if it would have passed IV?

The back end processes are a bit different when a tech activates a box vs a customer. Those are the same back end processes are what prevents customers from using the STB Self Activation system as well.

If by some chance a customer fell through the cracks and managed to lock the box, well a truck roll would be needed anyway. First to fix whatever is causing the IV to fail, second to "unlock" the box.

As a side note, I don't yet know what sort of limitations, if any, a locked box has over an unlocked box. That software was rolled out this morning. The IV will also be tested in three markets to work out "issues" before going national.

While at first any change is met with resistance, I see this as a good thing in the long run.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#26 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:35 AM

OK. "Firing up the weed whacker" sounded pretty brutal. Most people given the opportunity and ability will do a good job.

But it's those that don't want to do it right that need to go. This process will make that process easier. Lots of processes. :)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#27 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,678 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

The back end processes are a bit different when a tech activates a box vs a customer. Those are the same back end processes are what prevents customers from using the STB Self Activation system as well.

If by some chance a customer fell through the cracks and managed to lock the box, well a truck roll would be needed anyway. First to fix whatever is causing the IV to fail, second to "unlock" the box.

As a side note, I don't yet know what sort of limitations, if any, a locked box has over an unlocked box. That software was rolled out this morning. The IV will also be tested in three markets to work out "issues" before going national.

While at first any change is met with resistance, I see this as a good thing in the long run.

Thanks Robert. I think this is a great idea and should eliminate a lot of problems, especially in fringe areas where a customer is told a signal of 65 is acceptable...

I guess I'm still confused about how the receiver will know if it's a tech activating it or a customer doing self-install. You mentioned back-end processing, so I'm guessing that when a tech does an install, the RID is already associated with the customer through the HSP, so when activated, the receiver is somehow notified that the activation was "expected" so it will do the IV test, versus if a customer activates a receiver, the RID is NOT already associated with the customer?

#28 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

Thanks Robert. I think this is a great idea and should eliminate a lot of problems, especially in fringe areas where a customer is told a signal of 65 is acceptable...

I guess I'm still confused about how the receiver will know if it's a tech activating it or a customer doing self-install. You mentioned back-end processing, so I'm guessing that when a tech does an install, the RID is already associated with the customer through the HSP, so when activated, the receiver is somehow notified that the activation was "expected" so it will do the IV test, versus if a customer activates a receiver, the RID is NOT already associated with the customer?

Close.

Whenever a tech brings out a box for a new install, upgrade or just an additional receiver, a box type (SD, SDDVR, HD, HDDVR, etc) is listed as "pending". When the box(es) get activated all the information SN/RID/CAM is given to the IVR/CSR. The box gets activated and changed from pending to active. If a box type isn't listed as pending, the STB self activation won't work either. Thats one of the items that prevents customers from fooling around with that screen. :)

When a customer gets one from somewhere, nothing is listed as pending. You call up, give the info and the box just goes straight to active.

#29 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,678 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Thanks again, Robert. Knowledge is power, and you, sir, are powerful indeed. :)

#30 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:48 AM

Is there a guide to walk a customer through verifying proper installation?

My house was re-roofed this week and after wards when the dish was put back in place I had no signal. I called DirecTV and explained that my slimline dish had been removed and reinstalled by the roofers and I could no longer watch TV. I was told if it needed to be realigned it was covered by my protection plan (which I didn't expect because this was my own doing) but first I still needed to go through all of their troubleshooting steps to reset the receiver and swap the satellite inputs on the back of my HR21. I knew none of this would work because you could look at my dish and see that it was no where close but I happily accepted whatever I was asked to do after learning the service call would not cost me.

Fast forward to Saturday. DirecTV tech on-site, dis assembles dish and reinstalls properly. Asks me to reset receiver and check a channel. Was leaving but I asked him to show me signal strength. We went the the main signal page and he said "see the 100's, your good". I didn't press further but I would like to know what should be checked. I assume his signal meter outside showed good reading for the three satellites I get but I sill would have liked for the tech to have checked on my receiver.

So when I look at the signal meters I see readings in the 90's and some 100's for the three satellites, 101, 110, and 119 for both tuners and most transponders. Transponder 23 is down in the 10-20% range though, Is that okay? Are there certain channels I will have problems with? What should the minimum signals be?

On a side note the installer was very curious about my AM21. Said he hadn't seen or heard of it before and had been doing installs for a while. He looked at the back to see how it was hooked up. Said DirecTV has lost a lot of customers around here because of lack of built in OTA on the HR21.

#31 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

Close.

Whenever a tech brings out a box for a new install, upgrade or just an additional receiver, a box type (SD, SDDVR, HD, HDDVR, etc) is listed as "pending". When the box(es) get activated all the information SN/RID/CAM is given to the IVR/CSR. The box gets activated and changed from pending to active. If a box type isn't listed as pending, the STB self activation won't work either. Thats one of the items that prevents customers from fooling around with that screen. :)

When a customer gets one from somewhere, nothing is listed as pending. You call up, give the info and the box just goes straight to active.

While I can tell you with 100% honesty it only happens that way about 65% of the time, this new system is still bad ass.

In regards to system activations, and Drew2K, 'The System (generally) Knows' whether its a tech install/self-install.

When techs have to call in, they usually say they're techs, when customers call in they don't say anything, etc.

#32 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

An update with some more vague information for all of you. :grin:

10 more markets will go live with the IV (installation verification) on or about Aug 4. I can't/won't tell you which ones (unless I'm given the go ahead to do so), but their may be some Cowboys flying on some Jets to round up some Lions, Bears and vicious Cardinals. Subtle huh?

So far DirecTv is please with the results. This process has reportedly reduced initial service calls on new installs by nearly double digit %. That has to help the bottom line in both $$$ and customer satisfaction. :)

Nationwide roll out is estimated for early Sept.

#33 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

Anyone who can't figure out that hint needs their man card taken away =)

I'm also glad to hear this has been useful in improving the quality of installs. With this and DirecTV buying some of the HSPs it looks like installs might get much better.

#34 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

some Jets to round up

Oh dear. That is going to be a mess. Then again that could be both sides of that river. :lol:
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#35 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:48 AM

So the box is now determining whether dish is pointed in the right direction or not, whether cable is proper grade and whether multiswitch is good...... Had a new box, new cable, new dish, points south......the machine tells me 13 volt on 110 sat and 18 volt on 103 sat failed. Hmmm makes a lot of sense I definitely misaligned certain polarities while on the roof. Despite all failed items box activated just fine and picture was great as usual.

#36 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:50 AM

RobertE,

Just turned on my crap detector. This is a way to get the phones connected. The last number I saw was one in six households have no landline or a plan to ever get one.

So we have the phones connected and then the "road crews" that do such good work each winter will continue to be great until the leaves come out.

So what is the pay rate for connecting the phones to the verification .....scam?

Joe

:) That thought was the first thing that crossed my mind.

#37 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:49 PM

The national roll out date has now been moved up to 8/20. For now, the IV process will only be available on the HR20, HR21, HR22 & R22. More will be added at a later date.

#38 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:08 AM

An update with some more vague information for all of you. :grin:

10 more markets will go live with the IV (installation verification) on or about Aug 4. I can't/won't tell you which ones (unless I'm given the go ahead to do so), but their may be some Cowboys flying on some Jets to round up some Lions, Bears and vicious Cardinals. Subtle huh?

So far DirecTv is please with the results. This process has reportedly reduced initial service calls on new installs by nearly double digit %. That has to help the bottom line in both $$$ and customer satisfaction. :)

Nationwide roll out is estimated for early Sept.

I talked to some FOM's about the invalid fails(101) and they said oh tech's found a way around it.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#39 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

I talked to some FOM's about the invalid fails(101) and they said oh tech's found a way around it.

Yes sir there's a way around it:grin:

#40 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,678 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

Interesting that there are technicians willing to usurp the mechanisms DIRECTV is putting in place to ensure a quality installation ... or am I reading too much into the "way around it"? :rolleyes:

spam firewall