Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Set up new rear projection DLP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   duffytoo

duffytoo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

My 2002 57" Sony rear projection just went bad a couple of weeks ago. There are some great deals available on large screen rear projection TVs, so I'm considering sticking with the rear projection.

It will probably be a Samsung or a Mitsubishi as most everyone else has left (or will be leaving) the rear projection business.

When I bought the Sony, 6 years ago, I was working and had it delivered and set up for us. My wife, as with many wives, has no idea what was done (if anything) to get it going.

My question is: Is there really anything to setting up these TVs? Is it just a matter of hooking it up to my Dish Network receiver and reprogramming the remote?

I hate to offset a good deal with a setup charge of $150 (or more). I live 65 miles from San Antonio where I will be buying. Or perhaps I will have to order it from Best Buy or Circuit City as it may not be available in a SA store.

Thank you in advance for any reply.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

There is nothing to setting up a DLP set. Just take it out of the box, put it on whatever it will sit on, plug into power plufg into source, enjoy.

There is absolutely no way I'd pay some moron (generally) from one of the big box stores $150 to do this.

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

Assuming that the old television was a three tube projector, as most were back then, the tubes need to be aligned when first installed to get the best picture. This CAN take some time to do. A DLP has only one projection element so no alignment is necessary. It's pretty much plug and play. To get the absolute best picture they can be aligned by someone with the right equipment, but I don't think any of the big box stores offer this service nor have the equipment to do it right.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

Nope. No real setup is required unless you have a Harmony or other programmable remote. I replaced my aging Toshiba lamp driven model with one of those Sammy LED driven models and I love it. No noise from the spinning color wheel and no $300+ lamp to replace every 2yrs. or so. I guess you could invest in one of those setup disks if you a real perfectionist.

#5 OFFLINE   duffytoo

duffytoo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

Thank you all. Just as I suspected.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...