Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,414 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

What do the (#) numbers mean in the priotizer lines?
Why is Notre Dame not being selected to record?
If there are 6 First Run Jon ANd Kate dates, why is only 1 recording?

You've identified a couple of "known" issues with the HR2x scheduler. The numbers in the PRIORITIZER lines are supposed to show how many shows are actually scheduled to RECORD. This broke under 0x0290, and I reported it as an issue during beta. You might want to report this as well in the National Release 0x0290 "issues" thread.

The Notre Dame and Jon and Kates should eventually be scheduled. This is a longstanding AUTORECORD issue.It sometimes takes days for AUTORECORDS to properly populate the TODO list. The good news is that 99% of the time, they will populate and record, but sometimes you won't see them scheduled until the day of the recording. If you read back in this thread, you'll see several complaints about this.

I'm hopeful that DirecTV is working on new software that will allow us to immediately see the results of our recording scheduling actions or PRIORITIZER changes in the TODO list, but I have no first-hand knowledge that this is the case.

/steve
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:50 AM

That's a head scratcher. No way I can think of to limit the "window" for an AUTORECORD. You could further limit the AUTORECORD by movie genre, though you'd probably have to set up one each for "drama", "mystery", etc. Still no guarantee there wouldn't be something recording when your wife wants to watch LIVE TV, however.

Maybe the solution is to add a second receiver for her? Or, assuming you have more than one DVR, when MRV comes along, maybe you can make the main recording unit one she doesn't normally watch LIVE TV on.

Just some random thoughts. /steve

:) :) Listen to me, I am complaining because it works too good:) :)

What I might try is to use cchan and pick a local station that shows a variety of movies, just not all the time. I think some of my locals show a movie at midnight or something like that.

#183 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

:) :) Listen to me, I am complaining because it works too good:) :)

What I might try is to use cchan and pick a local station that shows a variety of movies, just not all the time. I think some of my locals show a movie at midnight or something like that.

You might to do a search once a week for specific movie keywords based upon tv listings. Or go with channels that don't show movies during your wife's watching times. Like TBS does not show movies during the late afternoon. Or teach your wife to record and delete what she wants to watch so it does not switch channels on her. If there are channels that show movies every night at midnight, you could manual record, say 242 every weeknight from 12 - 2. Unfortunately no magic bullets.

#184 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

I finally found a search that shows what I have been hoping for, just the SD feed of the upcoming Colts games, it lists all the upcoming games for the Colts in SD, yet the autorecord will not add either game to the TDL.

I have canceled the autorecord and set it up again still, it lists exactly the games I want it to record, but refuses to put them on the TDL. I am really puzzled.

BTW the keyword autorecord I set up was "Colts cchan 8 212 nnot high def >show types>events.

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#185 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,414 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

I finally found a search that shows what I have been hoping for, just the SD feed of the upcoming Colts games, it lists all the upcoming games for the Colts in SD, yet the autorecord will not add either game to the TDL.

I have canceled the autorecord and set it up again still, it lists exactly the games I want it to record, but refuses to put them on the TDL. I am really puzzled.

BTW the keyword autorecord I set up was "Colts cchan 8 212 nnot high def >show types>events.

Sounds like the classic AUTORECORD's not being scheduled in a timely fashion problem that we've referenced often in this thread. It sometimes takes days for a show to populate the TODO list. Good news is that 99% of the time, the show does eventually get scheduled and recorded, so it's a matter of "taking it on faith" at this point. /steve
/steve

#186 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:23 PM

Sounds like the classic AUTORECORD's not being scheduled in a timely fashion problem that we've referenced often in this thread. It sometimes takes days for a show to populate the TODO list. Good news is that 99% of the time, the show does eventually get scheduled and recorded, so it's a matter of "taking it on faith" at this point. /steve

For me its been % of the time for the last 9 months or more...

I'd say set it up and let it go... it will record your games...

By trhe way.. Not HD? I'm so confused...

#187 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

For me its been % of the time for the last 9 months or more...

I'd say set it up and let it go... it will record your games...

By trhe way.. Not HD? I'm so confused...

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that it does eventually add the game or that it doesn't? As for the not HD it's my HR 20-700 that's hooked up to a SDTV so no need for the game being in HD when all it does is eat up too much hard drive space.

Also when I record the game in HD to watch on the SDTV I have to crank the sound all the way to the max to even begin to hear the game.

If it was a HDTV then I'd feel differently. The TV is on its' last legs once it finally goes, hopefully it will be replaced with a HDTV.

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#188 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

I haven't tried the "leap of faith" with football games, not usually that trusting, since I've had other auto records in the past simply ignored altogether. I will give it until Sunday morning to see if the game is added. Thanks again.

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#189 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,414 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

With every new software release, I hope that they'll finally get TODO list updating right. It really surprises me that in a product that just celebrated it's second birthday, such a basic "DVR 101" expectation (immediately seeing the results of any of your recording management actions in the TODO list) is still unaddressed.

I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for the average user, nor can I imagine that there's a another company's DVR out there that exhibits this same design flaw. If anyone knows of one, it would probably make me feel better about this seemingly obvious gaffe on DirecTV's part.

/steve
/steve

#190 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

Well, unfortunately the keyword autorecord that finally showed just the results I was hoping for, now lists no games at all.

I don't know what happened, it had them listed just not on the TDL, now they aren't listed after a search at all. They are however already listed in the program guide, so it's not missing guide data. I guess I'll have to go back to simply adding the games via the guide, one at a time. Disappointing.

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#191 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,414 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

Well, unfortunately the keyword autorecord that finally showed just the results I was hoping for, now lists no games at all.

I don't know what happened, it had them listed just not on the TDL, now they aren't listed after a search at all. They are however already listed in the program guide, so it's not missing guide data. I guess I'll have to go back to simply adding the games via the guide, one at a time. Disappointing.

I'm not sure what DirecTV captures in the diagnostic reports, but this might be a good one to capture a "snapshop" of and report in the issues thread.

Based on Inkahauts experience, I still wouldn't give up on this AUTORECORD. If you can wait, it might be interesting to see what happens by the AM before you schedule it manually. /steve
/steve

#192 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

I'm not sure what DirecTV captures in the diagnostic reports, but this might be a good one to capture a "snapshop" of and report in the issues thread.

Based on Inkahauts experience, I still wouldn't give up on this AUTORECORD. If you can wait, it might be interesting to see what happens by the AM before you schedule it manually. /steve

Just seems so odd that the search I did Friday evening showed the Colts games in SD only, as I wanted it to. But it wouldn't add them to the TDL. Now this evening it no longer even comes up with the games period. Yet they are in the guide. I wish I knew what the answer was to this, it's really vexing. I think I have it resolved and it falls apart again. :(

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#193 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

Both the channel parts of those SEARCHES need a bit of work before they'll work as expected. :) Also, it is not necessary to use AANY and AALL with a single keyword in the first part of the SEARCH statement. You only need them when you have multiple keywords and either all must be in the matched show, or any single one of them. That said, the searches will still work, but why go through the extra typing if you don't have to? :)

For the first SEARCH, try woodworking NNOT VOD. See if that matches the expected shows. The HR shouldn't ultimately schedule a recording on a channel you don't subscribe to, even if it matches it.

For the second search, try stargate TTITLE NNOT vod movie and see what matches you get with that. I'm not in front of an HR right now, and I'm not sure if it's movie or movies, so you may have to try both. If the show is on a national channel, it will also be on your local channel, and that should be the one the HR chooses to record.

Unfortunately, AUTORECORDS are slow to populate the TODO list, so it may be a day or two before you see what actually gets scheduled, if the initial matches look right, you should be OK.

Check back in if you get unexpected results! :)

/steve

Thanks I'll give that a try.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#194 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:16 AM

You might to do a search once a week for specific movie keywords based upon tv listings. Or go with channels that don't show movies during your wife's watching times. Like TBS does not show movies during the late afternoon. Or teach your wife to record and delete what she wants to watch so it does not switch channels on her. If there are channels that show movies every night at midnight, you could manual record, say 242 every weeknight from 12 - 2. Unfortunately no magic bullets.

Thanks, that's kind of what I did. I use cchan 55, they play some movies on the weekends and overnight.

#195 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

I am building a boolean search to free up prioritizer space. First search will be to consolidate the Comedy Central channel. Gong Show, Lewis Black, Sarah Silverman, and Reno 911. How would I do this without picking up CC movies that include any of the above. All the shows are 30min. Is there a request for time limit?

#196 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:49 AM

Is The Gong Show still available for viewing???

That had to be one of the CRAZIEST SHOWS ever made for TV!!!

I did a Search on The Comedy Channel and then a General Search but nothing showed up!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#197 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

Is The Gong Show still available for viewing???

That had to be one of the CRAZIEST SHOWS ever made for TV!!!

I did a Search on The Comedy Channel and then a General Search but nothing showed up!!!

Its the new one with Dave Attell. Season one is over. Futoncritic shows it on hiatus or fate to be determined.

#198 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,414 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:22 PM

I am building a boolean search to free up prioritizer space. First search will be to consolidate the Comedy Central channel. Gong Show, Lewis Black, Sarah Silverman, and Reno 911. How would I do this without picking up CC movies that include any of the above. All the shows are 30min. Is there a request for time limit?

There's no time limit AFAIK, but you might want to try adding NNOT movie.

See what AANY gong reno TTITLE NNOT movie CCHAN 249 gets you, along with AANY silverman black NNAME NNOT movie CCHAN 249.

Or you could go for broke and try a single AANY gong reno silverman lewis NNOT movie CCHAN 249. I don't know if "lewis" will match too many shows that aren't "lewis black", however. /steve
/steve

#199 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

There's no time limit AFAIK, but you might want to try adding NNOT movie.

See what AANY gong reno TTITLE NNOT movie CCHAN 249 gets you, along with AANY silverman black NNAME NNOT movie CCHAN 249.

Or you could go for broke and try a single AANY gong reno silverman lewis NNOT movie CCHAN 249. I don't know if "lewis" will match too many shows that aren't "lewis black", however. /steve

Thanks Steve, I set it up with root in lieu of Lewis. Your right, Richard, Jerry, I can't imagine all the Lewis choices.
Right away it is picking up rerun Reno's that my Reno SL did not have, even though I set it to first run. But they are SD and won't be a risk of filling up the drive before I can delete them.

#200 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,414 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Steve, I set it up with root in lieu of Lewis. Your right, Richard, Jerry, I can't imagine all the Lewis choices.
Right away it is picking up rerun Reno's that my Reno SL did not have, even though I set it to first run. But they are SD and won't be a risk of filling up the drive before I can delete them.

Please let us know how it works out. I've been fighting with a bug since the 0x0290 software was released where my "multiple keyword" AUTORECORDS are matching all the shows I expect them to match, but are not all being scheduled to RECORD.

At first, I didn't worry too much about this because we know it takes forever for AUTORECORDS to populate the TO DO LIST. But after tracking this closely, I'm seeing after the record time has passed that some shows are recording and some aren't. I've been complaining about this in the issues threads for about 3-4 weeks now, but so far there hasn't been a fix.

/steve
/steve

spam firewall