Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#201 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

Please let us know how it works out. I've been fighting with a bug since the 0x0290 software was released where my "multiple keyword" AUTORECORDS are matching all the shows I expect them to match, but are not all being scheduled to RECORD.

At first, I didn't worry too much about this because we know it takes forever for AUTORECORDS to populate the TO DO LIST. But after tracking this closely, I'm seeing after the record time has passed that some shows are recording and some aren't. I've been complaining about this in the issues threads for about 3-4 weeks now, but so far there hasn't been a fix.

/steve

I will have to set it up on Discovery or Sci-Fi multiples to get any conclusive results. I think the only show still in season is Sarah Silverman. I will post when I do another one.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

Please let us know how it works out. I've been fighting with a bug since the 0x0290 software was released where my "multiple keyword" AUTORECORDS are matching all the shows I expect them to match, but are not all being scheduled to RECORD.

At first, I didn't worry too much about this because we know it takes forever for AUTORECORDS to populate the TO DO LIST. But after tracking this closely, I'm seeing after the record time has passed that some shows are recording and some aren't. I've been complaining about this in the issues threads for about 3-4 weeks now, but so far there hasn't been a fix.

/steve

I am having no issues with my CSI, NCIS keyword, nor my NBC AANY words. But my PBS autorecord is not working at all. I thought that maybe it was due to the fact, for some reason, that it was PBS. The keyword search was mightly confused by the fact that I had both the antenna and D* locals defined. So I turned off the antenna channels. Could the issue be related to mirrored HD and SD channels? Maybe it has something to do with the search limits on the number of returns on a keyword. My successful multis are rather unique words. My failures are on "House" and "Yankee" on PBS. Could the returns on searches be weighted to return network shows first? I think this might be the most likely scenario. I can't think of any way to test the hypothesis.

#203 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

So I have had the following ARSLs set up on various HR2X's for either me or at my folks house, across 10 different units, and all have been recording exactly as planned and as expected... following every rule properly. Just thought I'd post all these so others might be able to get some ideas... You will notice that I generally break out most of the sports into groups of 3 or more ARSLs... this is because I prefer to have my local announcers rather than national ones when they are available... in some cases, it was more about also creating an intensive set of ARSLs and seeing if they all worked properly... Most of these have been in place since July or earlier, so a couple haven't been used too much in their current wording, yet (college basket has barely begun, but I expect my success will continue...)

If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know!

AALL USC EVENTS CCHAN 2 11 & Sports & Football
AALL USC EVENTS CCHAN 692 694 & Sports & Football
AALL USC EVENTS CCHAN 12 691 & Sports & Football

AALL UCLA EVENTS CCHAN 2 11 & Sports & Football
AALL UCLA EVENTS CCHAN 692 694 & Sports & Football
AALL UCLA EVENTS CCHAN 12 691 & Sports & Football

AALL UCLA EVENTS CCHAN 2 11 & Sports & Basketball
AALL UCLA EVENTS CCHAN 692 694 & Sports & Basketball
AALL UCLA EVENTS CCHAN 12 691 & Sports & Basketball

AALL USC EVENTS CCHAN 2 11 & Sports & Basketball
AALL USC EVENTS CCHAN 692 694 & Sports & Basketball
AALL USC EVENTS CCHAN 12 691 & Sports & Basketball

AALL GALAXY EVENTS CCHAN 692 694& Sports & Soccer
AALL GALAXY EVENTS CCHAN 1 691 & Sports & Soccer

AANY USC UCLA GALAXY CCHAN 208

ALL OPEN FLUSHING HIGH-DEF EVENTS & Sports & Tennis

AALL DODGERS EVENTS CCHAN 694 & Sports & Baseball
AALL DODGERS EVENTS CCHAN 9 & Sports & Baseball
AALL DODGERS EVENTS CCHAN 11 & Sports & Baseball
AALL DODGERS EVENTS CCHAN 247 & Sports & Baseball
AALL DODGERS EVENTS CCHAN 206 & Sports & Baseball

AALL CLIPPERS EVENTS CCHAN 694 & Sports & Basketball
AALL CLIPPERS EVENTS CCHAN 5 & Sports & Basketball
AALL CLIPPERS EVENTS CCHAN 245 & Sports & Basketball
AALL CLIPPERS EVENTS CCHAN 7 & Sports & Basketball
AALL CLIPPERS EVENTS CCHAN 206 & Sports & Basketball

ALL DODGERS CCHAN 208 & Sports & Baseball
ALL CLIPPERS CCHAN 208 & Sports & Basketball
AALL ANGELES EVENTS CCHAN 692 & Sports & Baseball
AALL ANGELES EVENTS CCHAN 11& Sports & Baseball
AALL ANGELES EVENTS CCHAN 247& Sports & Baseball
AALL ANGELES EVENTS CCHAN 13& Sports & Baseball
AALL ANGELES EVENTS CCHAN 206& Sports & Baseball

AALL DUCKS EVENTS CCHAN 692 & Sports & Hockey
AALL DUCKS EVENTS CCHAN 694 & Sports & Hockey
AALL DUCKS EVENTS CCHAN 56 & Sports & Hockey
AALL DUCKS EVENTS CCHAN 4 & Sports & Hockey
AALL DUCKS EVENTS CCHAN 604 & Sports & Hockey
AALL DUCKS EVENTS CCHAN 306 & Sports & Hockey

ALL ANGELES CCHAN 208 & Sports & Baseball
ALL DUCKS CCHAN 208 & Sports & Hockey

AALL LAKERS EVENTS CCHAN 692 & Sports & Basketball
AALL LAKERS EVENTS CCHAN 9 & Sports & Basketball
AALL LAKERS EVENTS CCHAN 245 & Sports & Basketball
AALL LAKERS EVENTS CCHAN 7 & Sports & Basketball
AALL LAKERS EVENTS CCHAN 206 & Sports & Basketball

AALL KINGS EVENTS CCHAN 692 & Sports & Hockey
AALL KINGS EVENTS CCHAN 694 & Sports & Hockey
AALL KINGS EVENTS CCHAN 604 & Sports & Hockey
AALL KINGS EVENTS CCHAN 4 & Sports & Hockey
AALL KINGS EVENTS CCHAN 306 & Sports & Hockey

AALL LAKERS CCHAN 208 & Sports & Basketball
AALL KINGS CCHAN 208 & Sports & Hockey

AALL LAKERS EVENTS & Sports & Basketball

AALL USC EVENTS & Sports & Football

AALL USC EVENTS & Sports & Football

AALL USC EVENTS & Sports & Basketball

AALL USC EVENTS & Sports & Basketball

In case anyone is wondering.. All 4 of the following ARSLs are grouped into one folder, since they all have the same keywords... I created them the same on purpose to see if that would happen, and it did, as I prefered it to... I set each ARSL to save up to 5, and therefore you can find as many as 20 shows in this folder)

AANY HDTV CCHAN 200 600 & Movies & Comedy

AANY HDTV CCHAN 200 600 & Movies & Romance

AANY HDTV CCHAN 200 600 & Movies & Biography

AANY HDTV CCHAN 200 600 & Movies & Musical

#204 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

I am having no issues with my CSI, NCIS keyword, nor my NBC AANY words. But my PBS autorecord is not working at all. I thought that maybe it was due to the fact, for some reason, that it was PBS. The keyword search was mightly confused by the fact that I had both the antenna and D* locals defined. So I turned off the antenna channels. Could the issue be related to mirrored HD and SD channels? Maybe it has something to do with the search limits on the number of returns on a keyword. My successful multis are rather unique words. My failures are on "House" and "Yankee" on PBS. Could the returns on searches be weighted to return network shows first? I think this might be the most likely scenario. I can't think of any way to test the hypothesis.

I think it's the recently imposed (last couple of months) 500 search match limit.

Let's say you set up a KEYWORD search for house TTITLE CCHAN 13 (my PBS affiliate). The HR2x first goes through all the GUIDE data and finds any shows with "house" in the title. I just tried it, and it finds 500 shows by 12/6 (5 days) and then stops searching. And none of the matches between now and 12/6 include a show on channel 13 in my area, so the search results in "0" matches.

I don't know how often the search is re-run, but let's say it's every "n" hours. If "house" on "channel 13" isn't found within 500 matches within whatever the minimum "lead time" the HR2x needs to put something on the TO DO LIST, it never gets scheduled. And I think any other keywords that are part of that same search suffer the same fate, because the # of matches for house TTITLE use up all the available matches for all the requested keywords.

Make any sense? Just my .02. /steve
/steve

#205 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

So maybe the search logic is returning values based upon TITLE like '%House%' and doing an ORDER BY on the return by channel then date (which could be the default based upon the index). What makes no sense is if I am constraining the search by CHANNEL = x. I work with TSQL, so I have that bias when I am thinking about this. But it seems like they are dropping the results to a temporary table with a size limitation of 500 rows then doing additional filtering rather than doing all filters from the get go. This might make some sense based upon indexing when you are returning certain fields. But I would think you would design the process to reduce your search limits to their smallest sub - group before working the more costly portions of your search. If you are limiting the rows, you always have to order search results by the start datetime field as a condition of returning values. Wouldn't you index your schedule based upon CHAN then START DATE?

WHERE CHANNEL = x AND
(
TITLE LIKE ... OR
TITLE LIKE....
)

Is always going to be more efficient than

WHERE (
TITLE LIKE ... OR
TITLE LIKE....
) AND
CHANNEL = x

I am starting to think this feature is a single programmers pet project. It does not seem to be ready for prime time.

#206 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:19 AM

So maybe the search logic is returning values based upon TITLE like '%House%' and doing an ORDER BY on the return by channel then date (which could be the default based upon the index). What makes no sense is if I am constraining the search by CHANNEL = x. I work with TSQL, so I have that bias when I am thinking about this. But it seems like they are dropping the results to a temporary table with a size limitation of 500 rows then doing additional filtering rather than doing all filters from the get go. This might make some sense based upon indexing when you are returning certain fields. But I would think you would design the process to reduce your search limits to their smallest sub - group before working the more costly portions of your search. If you are limiting the rows, you always have to order search results by the start datetime field as a condition of returning values. Wouldn't you index your schedule based upon CHAN then START DATE?

WHERE CHANNEL = x AND
(
TITLE LIKE ... OR
TITLE LIKE....
)

Is always going to be more efficient than

WHERE (
TITLE LIKE ... OR
TITLE LIKE....
) AND
CHANNEL = x

I am starting to think this feature is a single programmers pet project. It does not seem to be ready for prime time.

Ya. If I was programming SEARCH, I'd filter by the narrowest filters first, and then apply the broader filters. Especially if I was constrained to a 500 row limit. So channel first, then title.

I agree that it appears that SEARCH is being left to the engineers, which is always a risky thing to do, based on my 30 years of application development experience. And by no means am I trying to slight the engineering team with that comment. It's just that most engineers think like engineers, and not like the target audience.

/steve
/steve

#207 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Sounds like Computer Programmers talking COBOL or some other programming language!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#208 OFFLINE   BAG

BAG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

Is there one current authoritative source for all Advanced Keywords that can be used?

#209 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

Is there one current authoritative source for all Advanced Keywords that can be used?

See posts 1 and 4 of this thread. That's about it. :) /steve
/steve

#210 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

Ya. If I was programming SEARCH, I'd filter by the narrowest filters first, and then apply the broader filters. Especially if I was constrained to a 500 row limit. So channel first, then title.

I agree that it appears that SEARCH is being left to the engineers, which is always a risky thing to do...

I'm a retired computer programmer; sometimes my job title included the word engineer.

Let me assure you that programmers and engineers are not typically that dense. I wouldn't like to think that the stupid behavior you have deduced to exist (and your deduction does makes sense) can be blamed on one or more of them.

But this detail is but one of many awful choices made by the workers at DirecTV who are messing around with the +DVR software. I think most of them didn't even have any applicable experience before being thrown into this doomed project. Maybe there are a lot of Wallys and pointy-haired bosses (a la Dilbert).
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#211 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

I'm a retired computer programmer; sometimes my job title included the word engineer.

Let me assure you that programmers and engineers are not typically that dense. I wouldn't like to think that the stupid behavior you have deduced to exist (and your deduction does makes sense) can be blamed on one or more of them.

But this detail is but one of many awful choices made by the workers at DirecTV who are messing around with the +DVR software. I think most of them didn't even have any applicable experience before being thrown into this doomed project. Maybe there are a lot of Wallys and pointy-haired bosses (a la Dilbert).

Ya, whatever the reason, it's certainly not the fault of the individuals who are trying to fix it. Support and resources to fix what's wrong here needs to come from the top down. /steve
/steve

#212 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

Ya, whatever the reason, it's certainly not the fault of the individuals who are trying to fix it.

I think you're just being super nice to those folks.

Support and resources to fix what's wrong here needs to come from the top down.

That I agree with completely. What I fear they are getting from the top down is marketing-based dogma that intentionally cripples the software.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010

#213 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

I think you're just being super nice to those folks.That I agree with completely. What I fear they are getting from the top down is marketing-based dogma that intentionally cripples the software.

It's surprising, because you'd think that after seeing the kind of hay Google made with search, the DirecTV marketing folks would understand better than most that being able to declare that the HR2x is the DVR industry's "Autorecord" / "Wish List" leader could provide a competitive advantage. /steve
/steve

#214 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

It's surprising, because you'd think that after seeing the kind of hay Google made with search, the DirecTV marketing folks would understand better than most that being able to declare that the HR2x is the DVR industry's "Autorecord" / "Wish List" leader could provide a competitive advantage.

Good. Maybe TiVo Inc can win with that argument when DirecTV tries (as I'm confident they will try) to foist their foul dogma onto TiVo's software as well as their own.

Edited by Syzygy, 04 January 2009 - 02:40 AM.
spelling

#215 OFFLINE   ncsercs

ncsercs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

I want to get listings for channels 200-299 without PPV, Movies, any shopping, church, DirecTv content.

I'm definitely not a programmer. :D

TIA
Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

#216 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

It's surprising, because you'd think that after seeing the kind of hay Google made with search, the DirecTV marketing folks would understand better than most that being able to declare that the HR2x is the DVR industry's "Autorecord" / "Wish List" leader could provide a competitive advantage. /steve

Lo and behold, TiVo compared themselves to Google this morning in this press release, bragging about their new search capabilities!

http://i.gizmodo.com...kyline=true&s=i

/steve
/steve

#217 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:31 AM

I want to get listings for channels 200-299 without PPV, Movies, any shopping, church, DirecTv content.

I'm definitely not a programmer. :D

TIA

In this case, why not just make a custom favorites list with the channels in that range that aren't PPV, religious, etc., and scan through them using the GUIDE?

I say that because I'm not sure how that will be any different than a SEARCH that lists every show available on those channels, even if they're filtered by PPV, movies, etc.

If you're looking for something specific, that's when SEARCH comes in handy.

Just my .02. /steve
/steve

#218 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:28 AM

Just so you know, NipTuck matches Nip/Tuck -- as in:

AANY Damages NipTuck Rescue TTITLE CCHAN 248 & Show Types, Series

#219 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

/steve

Steve, I have this same problem, for example it finds 10 matches and only sets 2 of them up to record. Was there ever a fix found for this?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#220 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Steve, I have this same problem, for example it finds 10 matches and only sets 2 of them up to record. Was there ever a fix found for this?

Unfortunately not, AFAIK. I stopped reporting it, after doing so for a couple of CE's with no response. /steve
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...