Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

RACJ2: Steve, I have this same problem, for example it finds 10 matches and only sets 2 of them up to record. Was there ever a fix found for this?

Steve: Unfortunately not, AFAIK. I stopped reporting it, after doing so for a couple of CE's with no response.

I don't seem to have the problem. I'm not aware of any missed recordings -- even though I check regularly -- and I've had up to 12 AANY autorecords, encompassing 45 shows. But my total number of SLs hovers around 30.

We should try to discover what triggers the bug. Too many SLs? A specific HR2x model? Having an AR21?
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

RACJ2: Steve, I have this same problem, for example it finds 10 matches and only sets 2 of them up to record. Was there ever a fix found for this?

Steve: Unfortunately not, AFAIK. I stopped reporting it, after doing so for a couple of CE's with no response.

I don't seem to have the problem. I'm not aware of any missed recordings -- even though I check regularly -- and I've had up to 12 AANY autorecords, encompassing 45 shows. But my total number of SLs hovers around 30.

We should try to discover what triggers the bug. Too many SLs? A specific HR2x model? Having an AR21?

See post #204 above for my theory on why it may be happening.

Any help or insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated! :)

If you'd like to try to duplicate my issues locally, here are the two AUTORECORDS that are failing. They both match lots of shows, but don't reliably schedule them, if at all. Right now, e.g., neither AUTORECORD is showing any scheduled shows, in spite of 5 current matches for the first SEARCH and 3 for the second. None of these shows are in 28-day history and the AUTORECORD is set for episode type "both". This unit is in a guest room and hasn't been touched since a reboot on Friday night to download the latest CE, after which the AUTORECORDS were re-entered. (I start fresh with them every week).

AANY heroes life law 30 office kim TTITLE CCHAN 4

AANY csi cold minds hour trace TTITLE CCHAN 2

and 4 are my CBS and NBC MPEG-4 locals, respectively.

Also none of the matched shows that were already missed this week are showing in HISTORY as "not recorded", probably because they never made it to the TO DO list to begin with!

Last time I reported this as an issue was back in December.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated!

TIA. /steve
/steve

#223 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

Too many SLs? A specific HR2x model? Having an AR21?

BTW, it's not too many SL's. There are only 5 total on that machine. And its an R22, but running the same software release as the HR2x's, that also have the same issue (well at least I know the HR21-700 and HR20-700 share the issue). /steve
/steve

#224 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:44 PM

Here are my Autorecords for CBS and NBC. (Lots of shows!)

AANY Bang Cold CSI Ghost Half NCIS TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY Mentalist Minds Numb3rs Trace TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY Eleventh Minutes Survivor Unit TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY Chuck Heroes Life Medium TTITLE CCHAN 11
AANY Office Order Rock Matthews TTITLE CCHAN 11

4 and 11 are my CBS and NBC MPEG-4 locals, respectively.

All these Autorecords seem to work. One thing that jumps out at me is that all of them (except the last one) have their keywords in alpha order. Of course it shouldn't matter, but WTF, why not try it? (Grasping at straws here.)

P.S.
Also, ROCK may occur more rarely in episode titles than 30,
ORDER is probably rarer than LAW, and
ELEVENTH is definitely rarer than HOUR.

Edited by Syzygy, 06 February 2009 - 12:09 AM.

Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010

#225 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:15 AM

Here are my Autorecords for CBS and NBC. (Lots of shows!)

AANY Bang Cold CSI Ghost Half NCIS TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY Mentalist Minds Numb3rs Trace TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY Eleventh Minutes Survivor Unit TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY Chuck Heroes Life Medium TTITLE CCHAN 11
AANY Office Order Rock Matthews TTITLE CCHAN 11

4 and 11 are my CBS and NBC MPEG-4 locals, respectively.

All these Autorecords seem to work. One thing that jumps out at me is that all of them (except the last one) have their keywords in alpha order. Of course it shouldn't matter, but WTF, why not try it? (Grasping at straws here.)

P.S.
Also, ROCK may occur more rarely in episode titles than 30,
ORDER is probably rarer than LAW, and
ELEVENTH is definitely rarer than HOUR.

Good thoughts. Thanks! I'll give them a try, but obviously it would just be stop-gap, because this isn't how it's supposed to work, as you know.

I believe my post #204 theory is correct, meaning this area of the HR2x software really needs some serious attention. Apparently it's not high on DirecTV's priority list because there are no longer a lot of complaints about AUTORECORDS and SCHEDULING. It's unfortunate, because at least in my case, I've stopped complaining out of frustration! :)

/steve
/steve

#226 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

From Steve's 12-06-08 problem report:

... There is apparently no problem with the SEARCH part of AUTORECORD, since the correct shows are being found. The problem is with whatever part of the code is supposed to get these matches onto the TODO LIST.

I've reported this issue several times in the past, so I'm pretty sure that DirectTV knows about it and apparently either feels it is not an issue, or has decided that addressing it is not a high priority...

There are other possibilities. What if oldfantom is right, that Boolean search is a single programmer's pet project? (It seems likely.) Maybe s/he's not capable of fixing the problem. Or maybe s/he has been told not to work on it any more. Or both.

I think it's the recently imposed (last couple of months) 500 search match limit.
[Paraphrasing:]
• Fact 1: A search for HOUSE TTITLE found 500 shows, all in the next 5 days, but none of which was on channel 13.
• Fact 2: A search for HOUSE TTITLE CCHAN 13 found 0 shows even though one existed, more than 5 days out.
• Theory: An autorecord search may be rerun so infrequently that it never catches the HOUSE on channel 13 that it's supposed to record.

Steve, I just got around to analyzing your theory, and I reread your problem report. Some thoughts:
• Did your test searches start with AANY? I seem to recall that, without AANY or AALL, HOUSE would match "houses", "outhouse", and so on.
• Your theory requires that autorecord searches be rerun very infrequently, like every 5 days.
• Your problem report says, "the correct shows are being found." This is inconsistent with any theory that supposes a desired show is not being found. Can you reconcile the report and the theory?

(I don't know if I'd have the perseverance to go through a list of 500 matches again; I did it a few times in the beginning, during my short honeymoon period with the +DVR, and often got kicked back to the start of the list by spontaneous refreshes. In fact, that's what ended the honeymoon. ;))

#227 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

There are other possibilities. What if oldfantom is right, that Boolean search is a single programmer's pet project? (It seems likely.) Maybe s/he's not capable of fixing the problem. Or maybe s/he has been told not to work on it any more. Or both.

I'm afraid that's the case as well, but hopeful we're dead wrong!

• Did your test searches start with AANY?

Yes. My current searches are exactly the ones I listed above:
AANY heroes life law 30 office kim TTITLE CCHAN 4
AANY csi cold minds hour trace TTITLE CCHAN 2

• Your theory requires that autorecord searches be rerun very infrequently, like every 5 days.

Perhaps not, in the case of the word "life" or the word "house", depending on which data they start with (the VOD data, e.g.), there could never be a time when either word is found within 500 matches on one of those channels, even if the search is run every 30 minutes! Someone really need to take a course in SEARCH 101 and narrow the data pool down by the most specific parameters first. Just my .02.

• Your problem report says, "the correct shows are being found." This is inconsistent with any theory that supposes a desired show is not being found. Can you reconcile the report and the theory?

I should have been more specific. Many of the correct shows are being found, but none are being scheduled. E.g., when I posted yesterday, I ran the two searches above and they resulted in 8 hits total, including last night's CSI, Office and Kath & Kim. Not one of the three was in the TODO LIST yesterday, and none are in the PLAYLIST or HISTORY today.

I don't know if I'd have the perseverance to go through a list of 500 matches again

I know. It's a PITA, requiring about 125 clicks of channel down.

/steve
/steve

#228 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

... depending on which data they start with (the VOD data, e.g.), there could never be a time when either word is found within 500 matches on one of those channels, even if the search is run every 30 minutes!

Hmmm, an amendment to the theory. What if VOD shows are sought first, before any normal shows? That would explain why some autorecords never work. But why do mine work? What's different about my HR21-200? Is it that I've never, ever even considered buying any PPV or VOD? (I have downloaded free VOD. And PPV & VOD do clutter up my search results.)

#229 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hmmm, an amendment to the theory. What if VOD shows are sought first, before any normal shows?

I'm pretty sure that's the case. Unfortunately, the 50 character limit prevents me from adding NNOT VOD. Also, to your previous observation, that's the same reason I'm using 30 and law instead of rock and order... simply to save characters! :lol: /steve
/steve

#230 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

That would explain why some autorecords never work. But why do mine work?

BTW, I think if DirecTV simply went back to unlimited SEARCHES, which was the case 2 or 3 National Releases ago, this problem might be solved. I'm not sure why they decided to cap it, because there haven't been any obvious SEARCH, scheduling or general performance improvements that resulted from it, as far as I can tell. /steve
/steve

#231 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

Steve, I did a Search for Golf as you recommened and between what you said and I said worked. The Search Arument as follows:
AALL PGA TOUR LIVE NNOT NATIONWIDE EUROPEAN.

However, if The Golf Channel repeats the showing at say 7:00 P.M. then I get another duplicate recordings which I have to delete. I believe we have asked Directv to fix this problem by looking at the Time & Date to determine which one is the Original "FIRST" Airing of a particular show.

Is that true?

#232 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

Steve, I did a Search for Golf as you recommened and between what you said and I said worked. The Search Arument as follows:

However, if The Golf Channel repeats the showing at say 7:00 P.M. then I get another duplicate recordings which I have to delete. I believe we have asked Directv to fix this problem by looking at the Time & Date to determine which one is the Original "FIRST" Airing of a particular show.

Is that true?

Good question. If there is absolutely no difference in the GUIDE data between the two airings, I would think the "28-day rule" should prevent the same episode from being recorded twice.

And yes, we have a long-standing request on the Wish List to use "First Aired Date" to determine First Run/Repeat status when it is unknown, which implies knowing if there was a second episode on the same day.

This sounds like exactly the same issue the folks who record The Daily Show, Colbert Report and a some of the kids shows have been complaining about for quite a while. IOW, not so much an AUTORECORD issue as a general SL logic issue.

I'd report it in the "issues" thread so it gets picked up by the folks that work on the "28-day rule". They may not be the same folks who work on SEARCH.

Just my .02. /steve

PS: Glad the search is workin' for you! :)
/steve

#233 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the case. [VOD shows are sought first.] Unfortunately, the 50 character limit prevents me from adding NNOT VOD.

Well, it certainly doesn't prevent a test search, done with and without NNOT VOD, where the title of interest is many days off.

Now, everyone, don't hurry off and do the tests, because there's a pretty good chance that NNOT VOD is applied after the result table has been filled. (Judging from experience with the +DVR. :D)

#234 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

Well, it certainly doesn't prevent a test search, done with and without NNOT VOD, where the title of interest is many days off.

Now, everyone, don't hurry off and do the tests, because there's a pretty good chance that NNOT VOD is applied after the result table has been filled. (Judging from experience with the +DVR. :D)

Actually you beat me to the punch. I tried it earlier, and AANY life TTITLE NNOT VOD will still return the same VOD hits as AANY life TTITLE, so apparently VOD is an excluded SEARCH term. /steve
/steve

#235 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

Forgive me for being slow AND lazy but can someone help me setup an autorecord for Utah Jazz Games only on NBA League Pass Channels (750-7??) and HD, ie 751-1 as being a priority? Can this be done?

#236 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

Is that true?

Take a really close look at the guide data for both the first showing and the repeat and see if there is anything different. For example my Red Wings games on FS Detroit have "live" listed on the first airing and "repeat" instead listed for the later showing. Thus I have a similar search to yours with LIVE and it always ignores the later showings because the word live isn't in the repeat airing.

So check these golf tourney and see if the Golf channels has anything similar. I think the only reason why it's picking up the 2nd airing is because they must still keep the keyword "live" in the guide data. But look for anything different. Example: If they leave "live" in the 2nd airing but add something like "repeat" then you can add a NNOT REPEAT to your search string.

Good luck!

#237 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

I will say there is something odd about the GUIDE data for that SEARCH, at least for one of the result days. When I just ran it, SEARCH results included 2 IDENTICAL matches for a showing on the same time, the same day and the same channel! This Saturday, at 3PM EST on CBS channel 2 in NY. I ran it on an R22 and both matches were for channel NY2. Weird!

Otherwise, with the current GUIDE data, I was unable to find a day similar to the one Rich mentioned above, where the same showing with the same listing was on more than once in a day. I have the SEARCH saved now, so if it happens again, I can look for it. /steve
/steve

#238 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

Forgive me for being slow AND lazy but can someone help me setup an autorecord for Utah Jazz Games only on NBA League Pass Channels (750-7??) and HD, ie 751-1 as being a priority? Can this be done?

I think the only way you can make 751-1 the priority is to save two AUTORECORDS in your PRIORITIZER, with the 751-1 AUTORECORD higher than the second one.

So, e.g.:

AALL jazz live CCHAN 751-1

higher in the prioritizer than:

AALL jazz live CCHAN 700 800 (or whatever range the NBA channels are)

Might want to give that a try. /steve
/steve

#239 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

To answer your question, it happens on my HR22-100. I only have 3 basic autorecords set up and here is one of them AALL SABRES . It finds 20 games and only set up 3 to record.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#240 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

And yes, we have a long-standing request on the Wish List to use "First Aired Date" to determine First Run/Repeat status when it is unknown, which implies knowing if there was a second episode on the same day.

This sounds like exactly the same issue the folks who record The Daily Show, Colbert Report ...

Currently, the only issue with "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" involves the Monday daytime reruns, which have no original air date in the guide data, so this wouldn't help in that situation. (Those repeats are of an episode from the previous week, but Comedy Central apparently doesn't decide which one to show until the very last minute, and thus, there's nothing in the guide data that would help a DVR figure it out.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

spam firewall