From Steve's 12-06-08 problem report:
... There is apparently no problem with the SEARCH part of AUTORECORD, since the correct shows are being found. The problem is with whatever part of the code is supposed to get these matches onto the TODO LIST.
I've reported this issue several times in the past, so I'm pretty sure that DirectTV knows about it and apparently either feels it is not an issue, or has decided that addressing it is not a high priority...
There are other possibilities. What if oldfantom
is right, that Boolean search is a single programmer's pet project? (It seems likely.) Maybe s/he's not capable of fixing the problem. Or maybe s/he has been told not to work on it any more. Or both.
I think it's the recently imposed (last couple of months) 500 search match limit.
• Fact 1: A search for HOUSE TTITLE found 500 shows, all in the next 5 days, but none of which was on channel 13.
• Fact 2: A search for HOUSE TTITLE CCHAN 13 found 0 shows even though one existed, more than 5 days out.
• Theory: An autorecord search may be rerun so infrequently that it never catches the HOUSE on channel 13 that it's supposed to record.
Steve, I just got around to analyzing your theory, and I reread your problem report. Some thoughts:
• Did your test searches start with AANY? I seem to recall that, without AANY or AALL, HOUSE would match "houses", "outhouse", and so on.
• Your theory requires that autorecord searches be rerun very
infrequently, like every 5 days.
• Your problem report says, "the correct shows are being found." This is inconsistent with any theory that supposes a desired show is not being found. Can you reconcile the report and the theory?
(I don't know if I'd have the perseverance to go through a list of 500 matches again; I did it a few times in the beginning, during my short honeymoon period with the +DVR, and often got kicked back to the start of the list by spontaneous refreshes. In fact, that's what ended the honeymoon.