Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

Ah, the old brute-force method. That will work. Thanks for the tip.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

Look at upcoming episodes of Voyager in your guide. Make a keyword that finds them all then just try and find one based on the title. When you find a search that does it switch the title with Equinox and you'll know it will work if that episode ever pops up.

I don't want to appear ungrateful for any help that's offered, because Boolean searching is still a mystery to me -- it's not documented all in one place, it keeps changing, and then it stops working.

But I thought this question deserved a straight answer:

I'm trying to get an episode of Star Trek: Voyager called "Equinox." Will this keyword search work?

EQUINOX TTITLE STAR TREK VOYAGER

Will it work? If not, why not?

To a newbie like me, because TTITLE is in the middle, that query seems more complex than the documentation I've managed to find would suggest. Does it really matter where TTITLE appears? (Aren't EQUINOX and STAR TREK VOYAGER all part of the title?)

From what I've been told, without AALL, bakers12's string will find only titles that contain the words EQUINOX, STAR, TREK and VOYAGER in that particular order. So maybe there should be an AALL at the start, or maybe it would be better to search for TTITLE STAR TREK VOYAGER EQUINOX?

P.S.
I'd like to Autorecord individual eps I've missed, using searches like the above, but of course that would be a waste of precious SL slots. I have only one DVR+, so 50 is my limit.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#23 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

In looking back at the syntax diagram in post #4, I see the TTITLE should follow all the search tokens, so I've almost certainly got this wrong. I'm going to guess that
AALL EQUINOX STAR TREK VOYAGER
would work instead. Since EQUINOX is not a show title (it's an episode title), TTITLE probably won't help at all.

I'll try at home tonight as StevenT suggested and report back.

House #1:
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
AU9 SWM5

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

I believe over 6 months ago, maybe longer. A lot of that is all guide data related stuff so if a network doesn't properly identify a show as "Sci-Fi" then obviously a search isn't going to find it.

I have several complicated sports autorecords that work great. For example:

AALL Red Wings Live NNOT Post CHAN 636

This records all Red Wings games *and* pre-game shows but not the post game shows on channel 636. Guide data provided by FSN Detroit has "live" for the pre-game, game, and post game but only the first showing. Thus it won't record the repeats later in the night.

This actually works better then a Tivo wishlist since it would pick up Red Wings on various other channels as well and might record 3 hours of blank nothing from another sports channel I don't get since it would record on the lowest channel number. With the DVR+ I can specify a channel number or even a range (although we still need the ability to just list out individual channels instead of just a range).

I've gone away from using the word live in my search strings in favor of the word EVENTS. Anytime a game is tape delayed, you miss it, if the guide data is correct. And by padding my sports programs, I can get post game shows at the same time.

#25 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:40 PM

"I was not aware you could put multiple keywords after NNOT"
"I don't think you can use ... NNOT more than once per SEARCH"

These two statements taken together suggest you can't "nnot" more than one keyword, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant. ;)

Actually that is what I meant! :lol: Only one NNOT per query, and one keyword per NNOT.

I finally just got a chance to test, however, and I discovered I was wrong about multiple keywords after NNOT. I just tried a SEARCH with 3 keywords after NNOT, and much to my delight, it produced the expected results. You learn something new every day!

/steve
/steve

#26 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

I tried the search for certain episodes of Star Trek: Voyager. I chose the episode called "The Haunting of Deck Twelve." I found all of the following retrieved the episodes:

AALL STAR TREK VOYAGER HAUNTING
AALL STAR TREK VOYAGER HAUNTING DECK
AALL STAR TREK VOYAGER HAUNTING TTILE
HAUNTING TTITLE (along with plenty of others)

These did not work:

STAR TREK VOYAGER HAUNTING TTITLE
STAR TREK VOYAGER TTITLE HAUNTING
AALL STAR TREK VOYAGER AANY HAUNTING

Also tried AALL STAR TREK VOYAGER SEVEN which worked fine.

House #1:
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
AU9 SWM5

#27 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:54 PM

This report by bakers12 indicates:
• Both the series name and the episode name are part of the TTITLE.
• Even though the series name precedes the episode name as you read the description, they aren't actually stored in that order (internally) -- as evidenced by the failure of STAR TREK VOYAGER HAUNTING TTITLE.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010

#28 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:39 AM

These did not work:

STAR TREK VOYAGER HAUNTING TTITLE

This didn't work because without AALL or AANY, you requested a literal string of the words "Star Trek Voyager Haunting", like using quotes in a Google search... all the words must appear in exactly that order for the search to match.

Had you used this search instead, it would have worked:

AALL star trek voyager haunting TTITLE

This is asking that all the words be present in the show title, but in no particular order.

STAR TREK VOYAGER TTITLE HAUNTING

I believe this didn't work because the parser didn't know what to do with the word "haunting after TTITLE . When you use TTILE or NNAME, all keywords must be entered before either of those operators (and after AANY , AALL and/or NNOT, if you're using them too).

AALL STAR TREK VOYAGER AANY HAUNTING

Unfortunately, you can only use one AALL or AANY per SEARCH at this time. I'd love to be able to mix and match the two operators to create more powerful SEARCHES. Maybe in the future? :)

/steve
/steve

#29 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Steve said, "... without AALL or AANY, ... [it's] like using quotes in a Google search. All the words must appear in exactly that order for the search to match."

That makes it clearer. To clarify still further: Punctuation in the text being searched is ignored (even dashes). Just as in a Google search.

Using episodes of Two and a Half Men as examples for keyword searches:

SPIT COVERED
SPIT COVERED TTITLE
SPIT COVERED TTITLE & Hi-Def
... all found "Spit-Covered"

YES MONSIGNOR
YES MONSIGNOR TTITLE
YES MONSIGNOR TTITLE & Hi-Def
... all found "Yes, Monsignor"

#30 OFFLINE   tstone

tstone

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:17 AM

Is there a way to record only on one channel when there is both a HD and standard version of a channel and the programming isn't explicitly noted as being HD?

For exaple say I want to record a show that is coming on both "Sports South" and "Sports South HD" simultaneusly. Both channels are 649, but in the channel guide one is called "SS" and the other is called "SSHD." The show is NOT a HD show according to the description. According to the scheduler the DVR is going to record both shows at the same time on both channels. I can manually stop the recording of one of those shows, but is there a way to search to only ever record from the "SSHD" channel and ignore the "SS" channel?

Thanks and my apologies if this isn't clear.

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:20 AM

Is there a way to record only on one channel when there is both a HD and standard version of a channel and the programming isn't explicitly noted as being HD?

For exaple say I want to record a show that is coming on both "Sports South" and "Sports South HD" simultaneusly. Both channels are 649, but in the channel guide one is called "SS" and the other is called "SSHD." The show is NOT a HD show according to the description. According to the scheduler the DVR is going to record both shows at the same time on both channels. I can manually stop the recording of one of those shows, but is there a way to search to only ever record from the "SSHD" channel and ignore the "SS" channel?

Thanks and my apologies if this isn't clear.

I believe if you select "Hide SD duplicates" under Menu, Setup, System Setup, Display only the HD channel will be recorded.

/steve
/steve

#32 OFFLINE   tstone

tstone

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

I believe if you select "Hide SD duplicates" under Menu, Setup, System Setup, Display only the HD channel will be recorded.

/steve

I think that worked. Thanks! :)

#33 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

Now that there's a 50-character limit on Boolean search expressions, I'd like to suggest allowing, for example:

• "-VOD" as a synonym for "NNOT VOD"
• "#501" as a synonym for "CCHAN 501"
• "TT" as a synonym for "TTITLE"
• "NN" as a synonym for "NNAME"

#34 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

I've gone away from using the word live in my search strings in favor of the word EVENTS. Anytime a game is tape delayed, you miss it, if the guide data is correct. And by padding my sports programs, I can get post game shows at the same time.

I tried the EVENTS keyword last year and didn't work because they weren't consistent with that keyword on FSN Detroit but they were with Live. None of the Red Wings games are ever tape delayed so no worry there. They are *the* most important thing on that channel for obvious reasons. ;) Probably not the case in most other parts of the country in terms of they hockey team I'd guess.

And yes, I pad by an hour typically, which is why I don't also want it to record the post game separately because I'll get it anyway with the pad.

#35 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:47 PM

None of the Red Wings games are ever tape delayed so no worry there.

East and mid west people!

Here in LA, they for some reason think its ok to tape delay the lakers when they play in the eastern time zone half the time!!! Screw the fact people are in there cars at 4:30pm... just replay the game after it ends so they can catch it in prime time if you need to!!!

#36 OFFLINE   jtcameron

jtcameron

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

i have a unique one...

I'm a re-located Boston Red Sox fanatic, who subscribes to the MLB Season Ticket. It was always frustrating to me that I couldn't find a good way to tape all the games properly. Now that we have these special advanced search functions, i was able to use the AALL and CCHAN conditions to be able to finally ensure i can tape all Boston Red Sox games from MLB Season Ticket (channels only in the 700 range). As I don't subscribe to the superfan, I only tape the SD versions by using the NNOT HD condition. What this does is record the 1st show in the list it finds.

However, with MLB, at least for the Red Sox, they always have two broadcasts, one from the Sox home station (NESN) and the other from the other team's channel. The advanced search using auto-record always records the 1st condition it finds. Does anyone know any logic surrounding which feed is listed 1st? Unfortunately, the station name is nowhere in the description of the games, so I cannot simply add NESN to the search.

Perhaps adding broadcast networks to the description would be a potential 'wish list' (at least for home town fanatics)?

#37 OFFLINE   pmauro

pmauro

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

Oh God. I am supposed to create, test and debug advanced search queries to properly record my Patriots games? That will take weeks of trial and error to cover all the use cases that change from week to week. I am so sick of this!

If this product was properly designed it would bet smart enough so I could say "Record the Patriots Games". Instead, my DVR decides to record everything BUT the game:

- east coast network feeds that don't work here in la
- shortcuts
- pre-games
- specials

Maybe someone will be kind enough to post an NFL search string. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to bother with this.

-- pete

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

Oh God. I am supposed to create, test and debug advanced search queries to properly record my Patriots games? That will take weeks of trial and error to cover all the use cases that change from week to week. I am so sick of this!

If this product was properly designed it would bet smart enough so I could say "Record the Patriots Games". Instead, my DVR decides to record everything BUT the game:

- east coast network feeds that don't work here in la
- shortcuts
- pre-games
- specials

Maybe someone will be kind enough to post an NFL search string. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to bother with this.

-- pete

Try setting up this KEYWORD SEARCH as an AUTORECORD:
patriots & Show Type, Events

It finds several instances of just next Sunday's Pats @ Jets game, and nothing else. If you want an HD version and DirecTV doesn't default to it (which it usually does), you can add HDTV to the search as follows:

AALL patriots HDTV & Show Type, Events

Use with care,l though, because if there is no HD version available, you'll miss the game completely.

/steve
/steve

#39 OFFLINE   jtcameron

jtcameron

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Try setting up this KEYWORD SEARCH as an AUTORECORD:
patriots & Show Type, Events

It finds several instances of just next Sunday's Pats @ Jets game, and nothing else. If you want an HD version and DirecTV doesn't default to it (which it usually does), you can add HDTV to the search as follows:

AALL patriots HDTV & Show Type, Events

Use with care,l though, because if there is no HD version available, you'll miss the game completely.

/steve

AALL Patriots HD CCHAN 700 750 is how i have it...but didn't hit today's Pats/Chiefs game, since HD isn't in the description. had another search AALL Patriots CCHAN 700 750 to pick & choose manually. funny thing is the Pats/Chiefs was available in HD (i'm taping from the NFL ST HD channel). this seems to be a guide updating problem they should ensure they fix (IMO)

#40 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

AALL Patriots HD CCHAN 700 750 is how i have it...but didn't hit today's Pats/Chiefs game, since HD isn't in the description. had another search AALL Patriots CCHAN 700 750 to pick & choose manually. funny thing is the Pats/Chiefs was available in HD (i'm taping from the NFL ST HD channel). this seems to be a guide updating problem they should ensure they fix (IMO)

On shows that are HD, I haven't found hd to be a reliable keyword. I think it's safer to use hdtv instead.

Also, I wouldn't worry about using CCHAN. If the first "hit" is on a channel you don't receive, the GAMESEARCH function should find the same game on a channel you do receive.

And if you further qualify the search as Show Type, Event, you should only get the games.

/steve
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...