Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

I would shorten it to "AALL OFFICE CHUCK CCHAN 4" or something like that. It doesn't have to have all of the Words in a Title just enough so it can find it on that Channel.

Did something change and "TTITLE" is now assumed? In the past we had to include the keyword "TTITLE" in the autosearch or it would record ANY match that had the search terms in the title and/or description...

So if it's not automatic now that TTITLE is assumed, be sure to include that in the search phrase to limit to titles only.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

So I just read Steve's post and he points out use of TTITLE as still being necessary to limit to program titles, so factor that into the length of your search phrase!

#543 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,477 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

I would shorten it to "AALL OFFICE CHUCK CCHAN 4" or something like that. It doesn't have to have all of the Words in a Title just enough so it can find it on that Channel.

Just noticed this one as well. If the intent is to record either Office or Chuck, then you want to say AANY chuck office TTITLE.

AALL chuck office requires both words be present for a match, and looks through all the show's GUIDE data. It's likely that search will come up empty, unless a show's title or description is something like: "Chuck has a bad day at the office."
/steve

#544 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

Did something change and "TTITLE" is now assumed? In the past we had to include the keyword "TTITLE" in the autosearch or it would record ANY match that had the search terms in the title and/or description...

So if it's not automatic now that TTITLE is assumed, be sure to include that in the search phrase to limit to titles only.

Look at his original search, he has ttitle in there. However, you have to wonder how important it is since he is also limiting the search to one channel. How many shows could have those other words in them anyway? But I would use it too, and he may need to just break up each of his searches into two, so that he will be under the limit. :)

#545 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Look at his original search, he has ttitle in there.

Yeah, but the response removed TTITLE from the string, so it's going to have a much different result and I just wanted to make sure that the impact was considered...

However, you have to wonder how important it is since he is also limiting the search to one channel. How many shows could have those other words in them anyway? But I would use it too, and he may need to just break up each of his searches into two, so that he will be under the limit. :)

This is actually a tried and true method of using a single ARSL to take up one slot of the 50 available slots in the Series Manager to record more than one show from single channel. Consider that someone may record The Office, Community, and Parks & Recreation on NBC, all of which are sitcoms. An ARSL of AANY OFFICE COMMUNITY PARKS TTITLE CCHAN 4 with a category of "Genre/Comedy" could effectively record three shows from NBC but only take up one slot in the Series Manager...

The problem is ensuring you fit within the search string limits and key it in correctly since you can't see all of the letters!

#546 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,768 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

I got into Boolean Searches because I was reaching the SML limit. Then the cutback to 30 characters limited the number of Show Tittles I could enter. So I was back to making more Searches.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#547 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

Yeah, but the response removed TTITLE from the string, so it's going to have a much different result and I just wanted to make sure that the impact was considered...

This is actually a tried and true method of using a single ARSL to take up one slot of the 50 available slots in the Series Manager to record more than one show from single channel. Consider that someone may record The Office, Community, and Parks & Recreation on NBC, all of which are sitcoms. An ARSL of AANY OFFICE COMMUNITY PARKS TTITLE CCHAN 4 with a category of "Genre/Comedy" could effectively record three shows from NBC but only take up one slot in the Series Manager...

The problem is ensuring you fit within the search string limits and key it in correctly since you can't see all of the letters!

Oh, I know many like it for that purpose. I use them to catch all kinds of movies and all my sports.

My point is simply, if you used

AANY OFFICE COMMUNITY PARKS CCHAN 4 with a category of "Genre/Comedy"

I have to think that you wouldn't catch to terribly many superfluous shows. Yes some, but not to many, and if that one word disappearing made the difference in getting you under the 30 character limit, that I hope is temporary, then I'd run with it for the moment.

#548 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

I got into Boolean Searches because I was reaching the SML limit. Then the cutback to 30 characters limited the number of Show Tittles I could enter. So I was back to making more Searches.

Yes, but several per is still better than one per SL. I continue to hope that eventually they will fix it and put it back where it was.

#549 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Yes, but several per is still better than one per SL. I continue to hope that eventually they will fix it and put it back where it was.

The more the First HDGUI gets out, the more complaints they will receive. The Q - Does D listen?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#550 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

I moved all my Boolean searches to my HR34 for several reasons:
1. It still has the blue UI so it allows 50 characters.
2. It has 5 tuners so there is less chance of a recording conflict.
3. It has a 100 Series Limit so I can have more auto record SLs set up.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#551 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

The more the First HDGUI gets out, the more complaints they will receive. The Q - Does D listen?

I highly doubt that. The vast majority of people who know about these searches are right here on this board, so they already know, and again, this only affects new creations. He often does someone create this kind of search? Not often at all I don't think, usually only a couple times a year.

#552 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

For those that would like about as detailed an explanation as possible on advanced searches, check the advanced searches PDF in the new Tips & FAQ's thread.

Tips & FAQ's

#553 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

For those that would like about as detailed an explanation as possible on advanced searches, check the advanced searches PDF in the new Tips & FAQ's thread.

Tips & FAQ's

Good info, but these two . . .

AALL CLIPPERS EVENTS CCHAN 692 695 & Sports & Basketball
AALL JENNIFER ANISTON NNAME NNOT FRIENDS

. . . . will no longer work in the HDGUI 30 character limit..

Edited by Drucifer, 23 December 2011 - 07:35 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#554 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

The character limit being dropped to 30 is a bug in the first nr with the new hdgui. I expect it to be fixed soon. So those will work again soon, and still do now for anyone not on the hdgui.

#555 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,477 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Even with a 50 character limit, that last search could be shortened to jennifer aniston NNOT friends, or perhaps even aniston NNOT friends, IMHO.
/steve

#556 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

or perhaps even aniston NNOT friends, IMHO.

Jennifer's father is John Aniston, an actor on "Days of Our Lives", so you MAY want to keep "Jennifer" in the search string... unless you don't mind recording the daily sudser when John is credited! ;)

#557 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Jennifer's father is John Aniston, an actor on "Days of Our Lives", so you MAY want to keep "Jennifer" in the search string... unless you don't mind recording the daily sudser when John is credited! ;)

Could it be shorter, yes, but having the full name as you say allows it to be a little more specific, especially adding the NNAME filter. Plus, it makes the folder in the playlist show her full name too.

#558 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,477 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

Could it be shorter, yes, but having the full name as you say allows it to be a little more specific, especially adding the NNAME filter. Plus, it makes the folder in the playlist show her full name too.

Ya. Depends if you're AUTORECORDING, or just SEARCHING.

Just for SEARCHING, it may ultimately take the same amount of time, but it sure feels faster to simply ignore some extraneous matches than having to triple-tap or bingo-board all those extra characters (Jennifer and NNAME, in this case). Now if we had a real keyboard, that would be a different story. :P

How I wish I could Google my DirecTV GUIDE data on this PC, e.g, and simply manage my WHDVR SLs and TDLs from here. Maybe someday. :)
/steve

#559 OFFLINE   jamsys

jamsys

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hr34 and hr24's

On the old dumb search I could find all season premiers... When I searched for this issue it said to put a space and I will get the catagory listing, doesn't work. I would like to get directly to the category listing

????

#560 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,477 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hr34 and hr24's

On the old dumb search I could find all season premiers... When I searched for this issue it said to put a space and I will get the catagory listing, doesn't work. I would like to get directly to the category listing

????

I would Smart Search for premiere<space>, and pick the premiere "Keyword" result over on the right. You can then pick a category, or go with ALL and scan through the matches.

You could also try a Smart Search for season premiere and pick ALL on the category screen.
/steve

spam firewall