Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

Ya. Depends if you're AUTORECORDING, or just SEARCHING.

Just for SEARCHING, it may ultimately take the same amount of time, but it sure feels faster to simply ignore some extraneous matches than having to triple-tap or bingo-board all those extra characters (Jennifer and NNAME, in this case). Now if we had a real keyboard, that would be a different story. :P

How I wish I could Google my DirecTV GUIDE data on this PC, e.g, and simply manage my WHDVR SLs and TDLs from here. Maybe someday. :)

Oh I agree. If it was just a search, I'd type it in..

What I really want is the dtv iphone and ipad apps to have remote controls that will allow you to type in the numbers with voice command! Yeah, I want to be lazy!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

Anyone else notice that keyword autorecord is seriously hiccuping with the new UI?

What's happening to me is that for a number of series starting this month, the first episode of the new season is set to record, but subsequent episodes don't show up under the keyword search and thus won't record. This is happening for Shameless and Californication on SHOeHD and Face Off on SyFy HD. In addition, the first few showings of the first episode of the second season of Being Human on SyFy are invisible to the keyword search and autorecord, so it doesn't show up until next Thursday... the premier is next Monday.

Any thoughts?

#563 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Anyone else notice that keyword autorecord is seriously hiccuping with the new UI?

What's happening to me is that for a number of series starting this month, the first episode of the new season is set to record, but subsequent episodes don't show up under the keyword search and thus won't record. This is happening for Shameless and Californication on SHOeHD and Face Off on SyFy HD. In addition, the first few showings of the first episode of the second season of Being Human on SyFy are invisible to the keyword search and autorecord, so it doesn't show up until next Thursday... the premier is next Monday.

Any thoughts?

In the past, ere has been problems with the autorecord episodes not showing up in the todo list, but recording correctly anyway. Have you actually missed episodes, or are you assuming that you will miss them because they don't show up?

I'm not saying that it is still not a bug. Just trying to clarify what type of bug it is.
DogLover

My Setup

#564 OFFLINE   CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Not sure! I know this isn't the first time it's happened, contrary to my originally blaming the new UI. ;)

When I first discovered keyword autorecords a few years ago, it worked for a while and stopped picking up episodes of House on my local Fox OTA as well as the first season of Face Off when originally broadcast: setting up keywords including "face" or "off" refused to find any episode of Face Off! Strangely, it worked fine when SyFy re-ran parts of the first season...

#565 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

ARSL shows don't always show in the to do list, but till you actually see the dvr missing recordings, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

#566 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Nevermind...problem solved!

Now if only DTV would let me enter in more than 30 characters!!

Edited by DrummerBoy523, 17 January 2012 - 10:45 PM.

• Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#567 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Trying to record just the Andy Griffith Shows with Andy Griffith and Don Knotts (none of the newer shows in color).

My ASRL = "AALL GRIFFITH KNOTTS NNAME"

For some reason, it returns both Andy Griffith and Matlock, yet Don Knotts isn't in Matlock.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

He is in some Matlock as a guest star,
quite a few as I remember.

#568 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

add "NNOT Matlock" to the search. Matlock should show up in every description of the show.

#569 OFFLINE   jprosiak

jprosiak

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

So I have a few keyword auto recording I am trying to get to work. When ever I set them up I get all episodes recorded.

Good luck Charlie:
AALL GOOD LUCK CHARLIE TITLE Type first run <-- this returns no episodes
GOOD LUCK CHARLIE <-- (Type All) setting auto record to first run records all episodes of this show

Game of Thrones:
AALL GAME OF THRONES Type first run <-- this returns episodes from last week for some reason

I am also struggling with a keyword recording for recording only packer football on our local stations only.

Any advice?
:confused:

#570 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

So I have a few keyword auto recording I am trying to get to work. When ever I set them up I get all episodes recorded.

Good luck Charlie:
AALL GOOD LUCK CHARLIE TITLE Type first run <-- this returns no episodes
GOOD LUCK CHARLIE <-- (Type All) setting auto record to first run records all episodes of this show

That first search is failing because of "TITLE". It should be TTITLE.

You don't really need the AALL or the TTITLE. Your second search will only find shows when the words "Good Luck Charlie" appear exactly in that order, so it should be fine. As to why "first run" is not working, it's likely an issue with the GUIDE data not reliably identifying the show status or the proper first aired date.

Game of Thrones:
AALL GAME OF THRONES Type first run <-- this returns episodes from last week for some reason

Same with Game of Thrones. You don't need the AALL. If you've never recorded a Game Of Thrones before you set up the AUTORECORD, it might still consider a show from last week "first run".

BTW, curious why you're using AUTORECORDS for two specific shows that are currently in the GUIDE data. Seems like a lot of work when you can also set them by doing a normal SMART SEARCH or via the GUIDE.
/steve

#571 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

I am also struggling with a keyword recording for recording only packer football on our local stations only.

If you only want the WTMJ games (not pregame or anything else), you might try:

AALL packers football CCHANS 4

CCHANS with the "s" is correct, BTW. They apparently changed it. I updated this post to reflect that.
/steve

#572 OFFLINE   jprosiak

jprosiak

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

That first search is failing because of "TITLE". It should be TTITLE.

You don't really need the AALL or the TTITLE. Your second search will only find shows when the words "Good Luck Charlie" appear exactly in that order, so it should be fine. As to why "first run" is not working, it's likely an issue with the GUIDE data not reliably identifying the show status or the proper first aired date.

Same with Game of Thrones. You don't need the AALL. If you've never recorded a Game Of Thrones before you set up the AUTORECORD, it might still consider a show from last week "first run".

BTW, curious why you're using AUTORECORDS for two specific shows that are currently in the GUIDE data. Seems like a lot of work when you can also set them by doing a normal SMART SEARCH or via the GUIDE.

I am using them because I want to record the next available airing of the show regardless of the channel it is on. When we have conflicts, sometimes I have to wait multiple days to record the show on the same channel, when I could watch it the next day because it airs an hour later on another channel.

Setting up a keyword recording for "GOOD LUCK CHARLIE" selecting "Type all" and autorecord of firstrun records every episode of "Good Luck Charlie". However, if I select "Good Luck Charlie" from the guide and select "First Run", it works fine, but only records on that one channel.

#573 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

I am using them because I want to record the next available airing of the show regardless of the channel it is on. When we have conflicts, sometimes I have to wait multiple days to record the show on the same channel, when I could watch it the next day because it airs an hour later on another channel.

Setting up a keyword recording for "GOOD LUCK CHARLIE" selecting "Type all" and autorecord of firstrun records every episode of "Good Luck Charlie". However, if I select "Good Luck Charlie" from the guide and select "First Run", it works fine, but only records on that one channel.

I didn't realize it ran on multiple channels. That fact may be what is confusing the "first run" logic. You might want to report that as an issue, especially if "first run" works properly for that show when you select it from the GUIDE. The work-around for now may be to just set up two SLs via the GUIDE, one for each channel.
/steve

#574 OFFLINE   jprosiak

jprosiak

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

I didn't realize it ran on multiple channels. That fact may be what is confusing the "first run" logic. You might want to report that as an issue, especially if "first run" works properly for that show when you select it from the GUIDE. The work-around for now may be to just set up two SLs via the GUIDE, one for each channel.

I finally got these to work. It appears as though for some reason I have to supply something under genre or some other search criteria for the results to be what I need. Here is what I ended up doing:

GAME OF THRONES CCHANS 501 509 (genre fantasy)
GOOD LUCK CHARLIE (genre family)

Both are using auto record and first run. So far so good. It seems like the auto record feature is rather buggy since GAME OF THRONES (type all) auto record first run should work just fine, but doesn't.

It also sucks that the grouping of the auto record in the playlist is the name of the auto record you setup. Seems ugly to see "GAME OF THRONES CCHANS 501 509" in the playlist.

#575 OFFLINE   vega

vega

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

since the search has been limited to 30 characters, can partial words be used?

Nascar Racing nnot qual prac

I tried this, but practice and qualifying episodes are still scheduled.

#576 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

since the search has been limited to 30 characters, can partial words be used?

Nascar Racing nnot qual prac

I tried this, but practice and qualifying episodes are still scheduled.

Actually it's 50 characters, but unfortunately you can't use partial words, AFAIK.
/steve

#577 OFFLINE   kenkahn

kenkahn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I set up the following Boolean search expression

AANY PSYCH PAIN BURN SUITS COLLAR TTITLE CCHAN 242

I specified SHOW TYPE = SERIES

The autorecord list I got back was

Suits

White Collar

NCIS

Psych

Burn Notice

Why is NCIS on this list?  Why didn't it find "Royal Pain"

#578 OFFLINE   kenkahn

kenkahn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

I think I can answer my own question.  It's "Royal Pains" (left off the 's').  Also, I checked and there are at least two episodes of NCIS on 242 with the word "Psych' in the title.

#579 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I set up the following Boolean search expression

AANY PSYCH PAIN BURN SUITS COLLAR TTITLE CCHAN 242

I specified SHOW TYPE = SERIES

The autorecord list I got back was

Suits

White Collar

NCIS

Psych

Burn Notice

Why is NCIS on this list?  Why didn't it find "Royal Pain"

There is also another problem with your search, CCHAN needs to be CCHANS, CCHAN no longer works correctly.  It was changed to CCHANS a update or 2 ago.  Unfortunately unless I mis-counted that would put your search at 52 chars after you correct the PAINS one as well.  I recently started using the show type=series choice as well and it does help eliminate some unwanted matches.

Edited by CCarncross, 24 April 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#580 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I don't subscribe to MLB channels, but occasionally The Tigers are on regular channels (ESPN, FOX, etc.).

What would I set up to record the Detroit Tigers games that happen to be shown Nationally?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

spam firewall