Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

Oh God. I am supposed to create, test and debug advanced search queries to properly record my Patriots games? That will take weeks of trial and error to cover all the use cases that change from week to week. I am so sick of this!

If this product was properly designed it would bet smart enough so I could say "Record the Patriots Games". Instead, my DVR decides to record everything BUT the game:

- east coast network feeds that don't work here in la
- shortcuts
- pre-games
- specials

Maybe someone will be kind enough to post an NFL search string. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to bother with this.

-- pete

Try setting up this KEYWORD SEARCH as an AUTORECORD:
patriots & Show Type, Events

It finds several instances of just next Sunday's Pats @ Jets game, and nothing else. If you want an HD version and DirecTV doesn't default to it (which it usually does), you can add HDTV to the search as follows:

AALL patriots HDTV & Show Type, Events

Use with care,l though, because if there is no HD version available, you'll miss the game completely.

/steve

AALL Patriots HD CCHAN 700 750 is how i have it...but didn't hit today's Pats/Chiefs game, since HD isn't in the description. had another search AALL Patriots CCHAN 700 750 to pick & choose manually. funny thing is the Pats/Chiefs was available in HD (i'm taping from the NFL ST HD channel). this seems to be a guide updating problem they should ensure they fix (IMO)

On shows that are HD, I haven't found hd to be a reliable keyword. I think it's safer to use hdtv instead.

Also, I wouldn't worry about using CCHAN. If the first "hit" is on a channel you don't receive, the GAMESEARCH function should find the same game on a channel you do receive.

And if you further qualify the search as Show Type, Event, you should only get the games.

/steve

I'd actually attack this from a slightly different direction... I'd use...

AALL PATRIOTS EVENTS & Sports & Football

That way you are sure to get nothing but games, and you don't need to worry about any program that isn't football... I hear you on the east coast feeds... They need to get the stupid East Coast DNS feeds correctly working in the CIG. They are the only ones left that ever cause any havoc with any of my ARSL's... I know Gamesearch has worked every time I have needed it, but I haven't ever needed it on a dns feed. It seems like it should work, but because its network channels, it might give a channel not available response rather than a game not autorized one, so I do not know if it will work... a simple option would be to create 3 searches as follows if you do not want to rely on gamesearch, and want to give some priority over where your unit records...

AALL PATRIOTS EVENTS CCHAN 1 69 & Sports & Football
AALL PATRIOTS EVENTS CCHAN 200 299 & Sports & Football
AALL PATRIOTS EVENTS CCHAN 600 999 & Sports & Football

That would cover any channel in the system that shows football, and excludes any and all DNS feeds...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

AALL PATRIOTS EVENTS & Sports & Football

That way you are sure to get nothing but games, and you don't need to worry about any program that isn't football...

I guess technically my prior suggestion of patriots & Show Type, Events could also pick up a live broadcast of a "Patriots Day" parade, but the odds are pretty slim. :) /steve
/steve

#43 OFFLINE   jtcameron

jtcameron

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

On shows that are HD, I haven't found hd to be a reliable keyword. I think it's safer to use hdtv instead.

/steve

thought about that, but thought HD was going to be seen more often than HDTV. problem is today's Chiefs / Pats game was broadcast in HD, but it didn't say HD or HDTV anywhere in the description, so neither would have worked. :nono2:

any thoughts to my MLB / NESN dilemma. i realize you are a yankee fan, and may not want to help a bosox fan, but hey, you definitely seem to have some great insight here. :D

#44 OFFLINE   jtcameron

jtcameron

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

I guess technically my prior suggestion of patriots & Show Type, Events could also pick up a live broadcast of a "Patriots Day" parade, but the odds are pretty slim. :) /steve

AALL New England Patriots & Show Type, Events solves that potential issue, though.

#45 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

Oh God. I am supposed to create, test and debug advanced search queries to properly record my Patriots games? That will take weeks of trial and error to cover all the use cases that change from week to week. I am so sick of this!

If this product was properly designed it would bet smart enough so I could say "Record the Patriots Games". Instead, my DVR decides to record everything BUT the game:

- east coast network feeds that don't work here in la
- shortcuts
- pre-games
- specials

Maybe someone will be kind enough to post an NFL search string. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to bother with this.

-- pete

Well, that's just the way it is. No different then a Tivo Wishlist. Sometimes trial and error are the only way to get these complicated searches which depend on unpredictable guide data to work the way you want them.

#46 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

any thoughts to my MLB / NESN dilemma. i realize you are a yankee fan, and may not want to help a bosox fan...

:lol: Even though I'm a Yank's fan, based on your post, I actually I played around for some time this morning trying to solve your issue and couldn't come up with a way to pin down the NESN broadcast. As you noted, the program descriptions are the same. And since the NESN channel is not a fixed one (so you can nail it down with the CCHAN operator), I believe you're out of luck until the GUIDE data gets better.

That said, I'd love someone to prove me wrong! :)

/steve
/steve

#47 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

AALL New England Patriots & Show Type, Events solves that potential issue, though.

Good point. Actually, AALL is not really necessary in that search. When there's no AALL or AANY preceding multiple keywords, the HR2x assumes you want that literal phrase (as if you enclosed that phrase in quotes in a Google search). So new england patriots & Show Type, Events will only find the literal phrase "New England Patriots" and not a "live" show about "The Patriots of New England", e.g.

/steve
/steve

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:43 AM

:lol: Even though I'm a Yank's fan, based on your post, I actually I played around for some time this morning trying to solve your issue and couldn't come up with a way to pin down the NESN broadcast. As you noted, the program descriptions are the same. And since the NESN channel is not a fixed one (so you can nail it down with the CCHAN operator), I believe you're out of luck until the GUIDE data gets better.

That said, I'd love someone to prove me wrong! :)

/steve

I don't have any sports subs, but can someone tell me if the individual RSNs are available for games at the same time the station is available in the 700's for any given game? If so, you shoul dbe able to create one ARSL for NESN specifically, and then a second for any channel, so you won't miss games that aren't on it.

#49 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:46 AM

Quick note... Gamesearch does not work for games on stations when you are not authorized to receive a channel. It only works on channels where you are not authorized for a game. So until CIG is finished, gamesearch is meaningless on the East and west coast HD DNS feeds, so I suggest everyone create at least 2 ARSLs for their sports teams if they are regularly on national TV on one of the DNS channels. (channels are 390 thru 399) (the DNS feeds in the 70's are in CIG properly.

#50 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:48 AM

Ok, so I have made a bunch of posts for a suggestion of a new gui / wizard for creating any kind of search string.... I posted them in the Wishlist thread here...

http://www.dbstalk.c...324#post1783324

Thoughts?

#51 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

Actually, this wouldn't always work either. I've seen the listing show "Patriots", "NE Patriots", "NWE Patriots", "Pats" in addition to your "New England Patriots". Nothing like consistency to make these searches managable.
LVR: HR34 - Anthem MRX 700 - Mits L75-A94
FMR: HR21 - Angstrom 200/205 - 47-LG50

#52 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

And all this just points out that no matter how good the search engine is, even the Tivo wishlist, it's only as good as the guide data. My Red Wings search never worked right until FSN Detroit added "live" to their guide data and remained consistent at it. Hopefully that will continue this year.

#53 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

Actually, this wouldn't always work either. I've seen the listing show "Patriots", "NE Patriots", "NWE Patriots", "Pats" in addition to your "New England Patriots". Nothing like consistency to make these searches managable.

Then how about AANY patriots pats & Show Type, Events? Because of the "events" qualifier, the number of "false positives" that may be recorded will be minimal, if any, and a simple matter to just delete them from the PLAYLIST.

Doing so would be easier than setting up multiple search strings to cover all possibilities, IMHO.

/steve
/steve

#54 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:39 AM

Then how about AANY patriots pats & Show Type, Events? Because of the "events" qualifier, the number of "false positives" that may be recorded will be minimal, if any, and a simple matter to just delete them from the PLAYLIST.
/steve

That looks about right. You seem to have answered a question I've had. Is the search Case sensitive. There I times when it seems it is. But, I can't proove it one way or the other as I don't use search very often.

#55 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

That looks about right. You seem to have answered a question I've had. Is the search Case sensitive. There I times when it seems it is. But, I can't proove it one way or the other as I don't use search very often.

There's no way to enter lower case characters in the SEARCH keypad (or via TRIPLE-TAP), so to answer your question, it must not be case sensitive.

I just use lower case in my posts to differentiate keywords form Boolean operators. :) /steve
/steve

#56 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

There's no way to enter lower case characters in the SEARCH keypad (or via TRIPLE-TAP), so to answer your question, it must not be case sensitive.

I just use lower case in my posts to differentiate keywords form Boolean operators. :) /steve

Oh yeah, Now that you mention it I guess they are all upper case. Weird the things you don't notice.

EDIT: And by "you", I mean me :)

#57 OFFLINE   pmauro

pmauro

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for sharing your ideas guys. It's no surprise that this functionality is limited by the guide data and unless there is a direct effort by DirectTV to fix this a custom search will never be reliable.

I am paying $300+ for the NFL package so in my opinion DTV should do whatever it takes to properly support "Season Pass" type auto-record functionality for my favorite team. They can work with the people licensing the guide data or amend it themselves each week. I don't care how!

It seems like a lot of people here are very tolerant - maybe I expect too much from a Sat company. :)

#58 OFFLINE   kraemerr

kraemerr

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

Has anyone had any luck with a string to find all new shows?

My system doesn't allow the space as a keyword any longer.

I tried AANY A AND THE TO CCHAN 4 99 show type season premiere and

AANY A AND THE TO CCHAN 4 99 show type series premiere and

SERIES CCHAN 4 99 show type series premiere (and season premiere)

This used to be easy on my TiVo?

PILOT CCHAN 4 99 caught the pilots of a few new shows?

Any ideas, suggestions?

#59 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

Has anyone had any luck with a string to find all new shows?

My system doesn't allow the space as a keyword any longer.

I tried AANY A AND THE TO CCHAN 4 99 show type season premiere and

AANY A AND THE TO CCHAN 4 99 show type series premiere and

SERIES CCHAN 4 99 show type series premiere (and season premiere)

This used to be easy on my TiVo?

PILOT CCHAN 4 99 caught the pilots of a few new shows?

Any ideas, suggestions?

Any show type can also be used as a keyword.

Try premiere CCHAN 4 99 & Show Type, Season Premiere (or Series Premiere)

premiere CCHAN 4 99 alone should work as well and find both types in one search (Season and Series Premieres), but might also pick up unwanted shows.

/steve

EDIT: Just tried premiere CCHAN 2 11 for my NY locals, and it happened to work flawlessly. It even picked up tonight's network premiere of Batman Begins on ABC.
/steve

#60 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:20 AM

Try:
2008 cchan 2 99>show type>premier

Protected By... spam firewall...And...