Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   rayzor1211

rayzor1211

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

I see some references to CCHAN 4-1 above implying that the CCHAN filter can distinguish between OTA and Satellite. My own attempts to use this fails and it looks like the “-1” is ignored.

So far all I get is simultaneous duplicate recordings making the command worse than useless. I have the guide set to not display HD duplicates though that is a very different meaning from OTA and Satellite.

Has anyone actually (as opposed to theoretically) got the auto search and record to distinguish between Satellite and OTA with the same number?

Or has anyone any details on the exact syntax useage of X for CCHAN N-X ?

I have not been able to figure out how to make this work. I'm trying to record football on the local HD channels (X-1) due to ST blackout rules. One thing I have noticed is that the station callsigns are different. KCBS (D*) vs. KCBSDT (Local -1). I have tried adding this to the search but cannot make it work. :hair:

Anyone else ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

I see some references to CCHAN 4-1 above implying that the CCHAN filter can distinguish between OTA and Satellite. My own attempts to use this fails and it looks like the “-1” is ignored.

So far all I get is simultaneous duplicate recordings making the command worse than useless. I have the guide set to not display HD duplicates though that is a very different meaning from OTA and Satellite.

Has anyone actually (as opposed to theoretically) got the auto search and record to distinguish between Satellite and OTA with the same number?

Or has anyone any details on the exact syntax useage of X for CCHAN N-X ?

Finally got a chance to test this and, IMHO, you have uncovered a "bug" in the CCHAN logic I was not aware of.

I tried setting up keyword AUTORECORDS for both csi CCHAN 2 and csi CCHAN 2-1 and got identical SEARCH results and scheduled recordings for both, with both the "2" and "2-1" episodes scheduled to record when two tuners are available.

I'm running the latest CE, so I'll report this as an "issue" in the appropriate thread. If you are running the current national release, would be great it you could report it in the appropriate "issues" thread as well. TIA.

/steve
/steve

#83 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

I have not been able to figure out how to make this work. I'm trying to record football on the local HD channels (X-1) due to ST blackout rules. One thing I have noticed is that the station callsigns are different. KCBS (D*) vs. KCBSDT (Local -1). I have tried adding this to the search but cannot make it work. :hair:

Anyone else ?

2-1 and 2 are the same... you won't have any blackout issues on one that you wouldn't have on the other. And sense we are in USC DMA, you should never have any blackout issues on CBS :D

The only time you could have blackout issues is on actual ST channels in the 700's... but that should never be a problem either with game search, because if its blacked out there, then it should automatically find it on 2 if the game is being broadcast on 2...

#84 OFFLINE   carrot

carrot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:55 PM

Finally got a chance to test this and, IMHO, you have uncovered a "bug" in the CCHAN logic I was not aware of.

I tried setting up keyword AUTORECORDS for both csi CCHAN 2 and csi CCHAN 2-1 and got identical SEARCH results and scheduled recordings for both, with both the "2" and "2-1" episodes scheduled to record when two tuners are available.

I'm running the latest CE, so I'll report this as an "issue" in the appropriate thread. If you are running the current national release, would be great it you could report it in the appropriate "issues" thread as well. TIA.

/steve

I already reported this a couple of CE releases ago. In addition the Guide does not reflect duplicate recording (showing just one - can't remember which) is taking place while and when it really is two so there is more to this issue and it is very confusing to unravel as you stop the recording only to discover there is another one still going on! Seems part of the system thinks only one is being recorded when actually both are?

#85 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

I already reported this a couple of CE releases ago. In addition the Guide does not reflect duplicate recording (showing just one - can't remember which) is taking place while and when it really is two so there is more to this issue and it is very confusing to unravel as you stop the recording only to discover there is another one still going on! Seems part of the system thinks only one is being recorded when actually both are?

I didn't check the GUIDE "®" status after I set up the AUTORECORD, but I ran the KEYWORD SEARCH again and saw in the results that episodes on both 2 and 2-1 were scheduled to record.

/steve
/steve

#86 OFFLINE   rayzor1211

rayzor1211

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

The only time you could have blackout issues is on actual ST channels in the 700's... but that should never be a problem either with game search, because if its blacked out there, then it should automatically find it on 2 if the game is being broadcast on 2...

I don't subscribe to the D* locals. It never seems to find 2-1 during the search.

#87 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

I don't subscribe to the D* locals. It never seems to find 2-1 during the search.

You wouldn't see any "-1" local channels on a hi-def DVR+ unless you have OTA input, say from either an HR20 or the HR21+AM21 combination.

If you're saying you do have OTA input, and there is a local digital channel 2, and you never see "2-1", then something very weird is going on.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#88 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

OK, I have read several pages of theory and I am trying to set my auto record for common shows like CSI and Law & Order. So I have tried several different options. I can't get anything to show in my t do list. They just won't show up in my to do. I did get one to work.

CCHAN 11 TTITLE NEWS - This did record news on channel 11 and 11-1. But after the 6 O'clock news, nothing is in the To Do. It does show several shows match the request, but nothing in my to do.

Similarly, none of these place any items in my to do.

AALL NEWS CCHAN 11
AALL CSI TTITLE CCHAN 11
CCHAN 11 TTITLE CSI

SCRUBS CCHAN 2 499 did not record scrubs on 249 at 6:30.

While I like figuring things out. Can someone give me the string that will record the CSI's on my local CBS (11) and the Law and Orders on my local NBC (2)? Will they show up in my to do list?

#89 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:24 PM

While I like figuring things out. Can someone give me the string that will record the CSI's on my local CBS (11) and the Law and Orders on my local NBC (2)? Will they show up in my to do list?

Try these, and make sure the SEARCH results are correct. It will take a while before they all populate your TODO list.

csi CCHAN 11
law order CCHAN 2

You can further refine them with TTITLE to limit the search to the title, but in practice you don't have to.

csi TTITLE CCHAN 11
AALL law order TTITLE CCHAN 2

Not sure why your scrubs search didn't work. Should have. Did it show up in the initial search results but just not record? Or did it not even show in the search results?

And I'm surprised your CCHAN 11 TTITLE news worked! It's my understanding you should have done
news TTITLE CCHAN 11. I'm not able to test now, but I'll try it later to see if you've uncovered some new capability! :)

/steve
/steve

#90 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

Also note that it can take up to 24 hours for the ToDo list to populate beyond the first couple days. This is common with any new series link which an autorecord is just another variety of.

#91 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

And I'm surprised your CCHAN 11 TTITLE news worked! It's my understanding you should have done
news TTITLE CCHAN 11. I'm not able to test now, but I'll try it later to see if you've uncovered some new capability! :)

Well I tried CCHAN 2 TTITLE news and I was surprised to see it worked! The search found all the CBS (2) shows in my GUIDE data with the word "news" in the title.

The search syntax guidelines provided in the software release notes specify that TTITLE should be after the keywords, and I never thought to try it in another location in the query. Now I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board to see if this gives me any new SEARCH capabilities. :)

Thanks for showing me another way to skin a cat!

/steve
/steve

#92 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

It did record the CSI New York from last night, but never sad it was going to. The To Do list still does not show any upcoming results. But I will be patient I suppose. I don't actually watch Miami, so if it misses, such is life.

#93 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

It did record the CSI New York from last night, but never sad it was going to. The To Do list still does not show any upcoming results. But I will be patient I suppose. I don't actually watch Miami, so if it misses, such is life.

The first two episodes of CSI:Miami have been so poorly written and acted, IMO, that I may just modify my standing AUTORECORD:

csi NNOT Miami CCHAN 2

Glad you got CSI:NY. When you run the SEARCH that leads to the AUTORECORD screen, as long as you see the episodes you want listed in the results, don't worry if they're not in the TODO list immediately. They'll get there. That said, the fact they don't get there right away is an issue that we've been complaining about for months. Forces you to look at your TODO list every day to make sure the shows you want aren't going to be bumped by conflicts.

/steve
/steve

#94 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:44 AM

I have the following keyword search item entered into my HR21-100/ver 0x255 prioritizer more than 2 weeks ago:

AALL NOTRE DAME LIVE EVENTS with the category SPORTS & Football.

Today this finds 5 items (correctly): among them, Notre Dame @ North Carolina.

The search is set to autorecord with the following options:
Episode Type: Both
Keep at Most : 5 Programs
Keep Until: Disk is Full
Start: On-time
Stop:On-Time

Problem: None of the shows are selected to be recorded.

The Search has no problems in finding the correct games. The problem is that it will not record them, even though AUTORECORD was activated :mad: .
In Prioritizer the Notre Dame item says Nothing Selected, yet when you select that Item it shows 5 items that could have been, and should have been recorded.

There are no other programs in the to-do list during the game time frame. There is no indication in the to-do list of anything regarding this game. Nothing exists in the history file either.

It appears that autorecord is not selecting something to be recorded.

Same happens for a similar ILLINOIS and WISCONSIN setup. Lots of items in the list, but nothing highlighted to record.

What am I doing wrong?

#95 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

I have the following keyword search item entered into my HR21-100/ver 0x255 prioritizer more than 2 weeks ago:

AALL NOTRE DAME LIVE EVENTS with the category SPORTS & Football.

Today this finds 5 items (correctly): among them, Notre Dame @ North Carolina.

The search is set to autorecord with the following options:
Episode Type: Both
Keep at Most : 5 Programs
Keep Until: Disk is Full
Start: On-time
Stop:On-Time

Problem: None of the shows are selected to be recorded.

The Search has no problems in finding the correct games. The problem is that it will not record them, even though AUTORECORD was activated :mad: .
In Prioritizer the Notre Dame item says Nothing Selected, yet when you select that Item it shows 5 items that could have been, and should have been recorded.

There are no other programs in the to-do list during the game time frame. There is no indication in the to-do list of anything regarding this game. Nothing exists in the history file either.

It appears that autorecord is not selecting something to be recorded.

Same happens for a similar ILLINOIS and WISCONSIN setup. Lots of items in the list, but nothing highlighted to record.

What am I doing wrong?

Not sure you're doing anything wrong. I tried your search AALL notre dame live events and found only one match, a Woman's Soccer game on 10/19. (I purposely left off Sports, Football to get more results.) I selected AUTORECORD, but it did not immediately populate the TODO list, which is normal bad behavior by the HR2x that we've been complaining about for ages. That said, I have no doubt that as the week goes on, that showing will make it into the TODO list prior to 10/19.

Then I tried a more streamlined version of your search: notre dame & Show Type, Events. "notre dame" when not prefaced by AANY or AALL will only match shows containing the literal phrase "notre dame", and not a show that may contain the words in a different order. I could have also used "events" as a keyword, and since "notre" is such a rare word, AALL notre events works just as well in this case

Either of those two searches produces the same 6 results. 2 games today... Women's College Volleyball at noon on 614. Notre Dame @ North Carolina at 11:30PM on 640. Neither was immediately flagged to RECORD. Next Sunday's Women College Soccer game was, in this case! Go figure. Three subsequent showings of Women's Soccer were unchecked, probably because they are repeat episodes.

In my case, none of these will record, because I don't subscribe to 613, 614 or 640. Another one of our long-standing complaints. We'd like to only see channels we receive show up in SEARCH results.

So in summary. Don't make your searches too specific, and be patient with the TODO list until DirecTV addresses another one of our Wish List items... the ability to force an immediate update to the TODO list so it populates with all matching shows in the GUIDE data.

/steve
/steve

#96 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

OK, moving on. I want Law and Order, but I won't all three. So I need first runs on Channel 2 (NBC) and 242 (USA). I have my season pass to only get first runs. So I should do

LAW ORDER TTITLE HD CCHAN 2 242

Has anyone done this. How many of those extra bad program data Law & Orders do you get off the channels in between?

#97 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

OK, moving on. I want Law and Order, but I won't all three. So I need first runs on Channel 2 (NBC) and 242 (USA). I have my season pass to only get first runs. So I should do

LAW ORDER TTITLE HD CCHAN 2 242

Has anyone done this. How many of those extra bad program data Law & Orders do you get off the channels in between?

If Bravo and TNT are outside that channel range (I never can remember the numbers), you shouldn't get any you don't want. BTW, I don't think you need the HD. law order TTITLE CCHAN 2 242 would probably work as well. I would try that SEARCH and see if it matches channels you don't want.

I don't trust the existing GUIDE "First Run" data... it's not reliable at all, IMO. That said, you could also try this: law order & Show Type, First-run, and see what it gets you. No need for channels in this case.

If they implemented the DDATE request we put on the Wish List, you could simply say law order DDATE 2008, but that's just a pipe dream right now. :)

/steve
/steve

#98 OFFLINE   RandCfilm

RandCfilm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

but that's just a pipe dream right now. :)
/steve

The programmers at DirecTV might want to know what's in that pipe based on some of our wish list requests. :D
(2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
(1) HR10-250 800GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.3f
(3) HR21-100
...(1) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
...(1) with AM21 & internal 1TB Seagate
...(1) Stock
RandCfilm

#99 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

OK, here'e the results from this weekend:
No Notre Dame, Wisconsin nor Illinois programs recorded.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now For Next Week:

AALL Notre Dame Live Events & Sports/Football Now currently Shows no Events.
AALL Wisconsin Live Events & Sports/Football Now Shows 1 10/18 game on 610
AALL Illinois Live Events & Sports/Football Now Shows 2 10/18 games on 610 and 665

The Prioritizer screen shows " ®* NONE SCHEDULED" for all of these.
None of the games show a ® indicating that they are selected for recording.
There is nothing in the TODO list for 10/18.

When Should I expect a ® symbol to start appearing in the games?
Selecting AUTORECORD means that these shows/games should be recorded, correct??
=======================================
For the LAW ORDER TTITLE HD CCHAN 2 242
I suggest two entries, one for cchan 2 and the other for cchan 242.

#100 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

OK, here'e the results from this weekend:
No Notre Dame, Wisconsin nor Illinois programs recorded.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now For Next Week:

AALL Notre Dame Live Events & Sports/Football Now currently Shows no Events.
AALL Wisconsin Live Events & Sports/Football Now Shows 1 10/18 game on 610
AALL Illinois Live Events & Sports/Football Now Shows 2 10/18 games on 610 and 655

The Prioritizer screen shows " ®* NONE SCHEDULED" for all of these.
None of the games show a ® indicating that they are selected for recording.
There is nothing in the TODO list for 10/18.

When Should I expect a ® symbol to start appearing in the games?
Selecting AUTORECORD means that these shows/games should be recorded, correct??
=======================================
For the LAW ORDER TTITLE HD CCHAN 2 242
I suggest two entries, one for cchan 2 and the other for cchan 242.

First off, do you subscribe to 610 and 655? Or any of the channels that had matches over the week-end that didn't record? I ask because even though they typically get ®'d late, they may not have recorded because those channels are blacked-out for you (they are for me). If that's not the case, I'll think some more on it! /steve
/steve

spam firewall