Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

I tried the LAW ORDER TTITLE CCHAN 2 242 and the guide found a bunch of L&O's on 75 (which should not hit on the first run, but we all know the guide data is suspect) plus the 8x NBC channel I don't get. So I did go with two different recording items. I did save that extra spot by adding AANY CSI NCIS TTITLE NOT MIAMI CCHAN 11. I figure CSI AND NCIS are unique enough that I can combine them in one AANY keyword list. Anyone have a list of any other AANY searches that might be OK? For example, I can't think that AANY MONK PSYCH would be a good idea (but maybe if I add SHOW TYPE SERIES?).

To TAS3968's question, they may not show up until 10/18. The ToDo list is very slow to populate with auto-records. I am not sure why, but that seems to be the case. It also seems that, after the first one is records, the autorecord is better at populating the todo. That may be a wishful thinking observation. As long as the autorecord returns shows, I think you are in good shape. That said, make sure you are around to babysit the first of the shows.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

First off, do you subscribe to 610 and 655? Or any of the channels that had matches over the week-end that didn't record? I ask because even though they typically get ®'d late, they may not have recorded because those channels are blacked-out for you (they are for me). If that's not the case, I'll think some more on it! /steve

Sorry, It was 665 not 655, and Yes, I do get those channels.

Interestingly, these 3 items are #2,3 and 4 in my prioritizer list. #1 is:
"CHICAGO NNOT HUDDLE CCHAN 2 51 $ sports/Football " :D IT WORKS AS EXPECTED:D .

Prioritizer for it is showing:
CHICAGO NNOT HUDDLE CCHAN 2 51 ®* 1 PROGRAM(s)
(Pressing select on this entry yields ...)
Vikings @ Bears [HD] ® Sun 10/19 12:00p 32
Vikings @ Bears [HD] Sun 10/19 12:00p 32-1
and it even is showing in the TODO list on Sunday. ;)

This is exactly what I expect AUTORECORD to do. (Well, I wish that it would let me select "*-1" local channels over the satellite channels, as I believe that the local channels get a slightly better HD picture. But, this is better than nothing! )

These are the only AUTORECORD entries that I have, why don't the other 3 select something to record ?

Steve, you state: "Please remember, if you're posting about an issue you're having (especially missed recordings!) and haven't also reported it in the appropriate "issues" thread, there's no guarantee DirecTV will be made aware of it." Should I be reporting this somewhere else ?

#103 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

Anyone have a list of any other AANY searches that might be OK? For example, I can't think that AANY MONK PSYCH would be a good idea (but maybe if I add SHOW TYPE SERIES?).

Great out of the box thinking! Very clever idea to save SL spots, IMO.

I'd probably do AANY monk psych TTITLE CCHAN 242.

Looking at one of my TODO lists, I'd group them by channels.
  • AANY heroes law trauma leno TTITLE CCHAN 4
  • AANY greys ugly private stars fast TTITLE CCHAN 7
  • AANY CSI NCIS minds mentalist wife TTITLE CCHAN 2
  • AANY closer grace raising TTITLE CCHAN 245
These AUTORECORDS could save up to 17 spots in the PRIORITIZER!

I think you're on to something! Only potential issues with this approach that come to mind are less control over individual show priorities and potentially weird PLAYLIST sorting. /steve

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2009 - 03:16 PM.

/steve

#104 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

Sorry, It was 665 not 655, and Yes, I do get those channels.

Interestingly, these 3 items are #2,3 and 4 in my prioritizer list. #1 is:
"CHICAGO NNOT HUDDLE CCHAN 2 51 $ sports/Football " :D IT WORKS AS EXPECTED:D .

Prioritizer for it is showing:
CHICAGO NNOT HUDDLE CCHAN 2 51 ®* 1 PROGRAM(s)
(Pressing select on this entry yields ...)
Vikings @ Bears [HD] ® Sun 10/19 12:00p 32
Vikings @ Bears [HD] Sun 10/19 12:00p 32-1
and it even is showing in the TODO list on Sunday. ;)

This is exactly what I expect AUTORECORD to do. (Well, I wish that it would let me select "*-1" local channels over the satellite channels, as I believe that the local channels get a slightly better HD picture. But, this is better than nothing! )

These are the only AUTORECORD entries that I have, why don't the other 3 select something to record ?

Steve, you state: "Please remember, if you're posting about an issue you're having (especially missed recordings!) and haven't also reported it in the appropriate "issues" thread, there's no guarantee DirecTV will be made aware of it." Should I be reporting this somewhere else ?

Yes. If you're running the latest CE, post it in that CE's "issues" thread. Otherwise, if it's the national release, post it in one of the threads found here. You can see the s/w version you're on by pressing and holding the INFO button.

FWIW, I just tried AALL wisconsin live & Sports, Football and found that same @Iowa game, and it didn't ® it either. It will probably get ®'d by the end of the week, but in my case it won't record because it's on 610, which I don't get.

You're bumping into the same issue that many of us have been complaining about for ages (especially Drew2K). The more of us that complain about it in the "issues" threads, the more likely we'll get DirecTV to address this sooner rather than later.

/steve
/steve

#105 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Can I nest AALL's inside of an AANY?

If that's too weird, here's my real question: Is there any way to have it select among AANY multiple-word name choices?

For example, let's say I want it to record anything involving:
  • Bob Dylan (but not other Bob's or other Dylans), and/or
  • Janis Joplin (but not other Janis' or other Joplin's), and/or
  • Brian Wilson (but not other Brian's or other Wilson's), and/or
  • Van Morrison (but not other Van's or other Morrison's.
Can I do this in one AANY autorecord line (to economize on my 50 slots)?
Or does it require 4 of my 50 slots (with AANY and AALL providing no benefit)?

#106 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

Great out of the box thinking! Very clever idea to save SL spots, IMO.

I'd probably do AANY monk psych TTITLE CCHAN 242.

Looking at one of my TODO lists, I'd group them by channels.

• AANY heroes life order medium TTITLE CCHAN 4
  • AANY greys brothers betty private dancing legal TTITLE CCHAN 7
  • AANY CSI without criminal mentalist eleventh TTITLE CCHAN 2
That would save 14 spots in the PRIORITIZER!

I think you're on to something! Only potential issues with this approach that come to mind are less control over individual show priorities and potentially weird PLAYLIST sorting. /steve

The downside is that "AANY Monk Psych..." should pick up Bullet Proof Monk and maybe even something like "The Psychology of...." So you could eat hard drive space like mad.

#107 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

Is there any way to have it select among AANY multiple-word name choices.

For example, let's say I want it to record anything involving:

• Bob Dylan (but not other Bob's or other Dylans), and/or
  • Janis Joplin (but not other Janis' or other Joplin's), and/or
  • Brian Wilson (but not other Brian's or other Wilson's), and/or
  • Van Morrison (but not other Van's or other Morrison's.
Can I do this in one AANY autorecord line (to economize on my 50 slots)?
Or does it require 4 of my 50 slots (with AANY being of no benefit)?

I have not read anything like this. I think you only have 50 characters to write your search anyway. This would take a lot of characters to search using T-SQL, I can't imagine how I would do it in this language. (BOB AND DYLAN) OR (JANIS AND JOPLIN).....

#108 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

The downside is that "AANY Monk Psych..." should pick up Bullet Proof Monk and maybe even something like "The Psychology of...." So you could eat hard drive space like mad.

But Bulletproof Monk isn't on CCHAN 242. :)

Stemming (psy matches psychology) only works on single SEARCH terms that aren't preceded by AANY or AALL. So a search for psy alone would have lots of matches, but a search for AANY psy would show no matches (at this time). And a search for psy and another word would look for the literal phrase "psy word".

Point taken tho. You have to pick your keywords carefully so as not to yield too many results :). I think in the cases I listed above, I'm pretty safe, because the odds of those words appearing multiple times in titles on a single channel are pretty slim.

/steve
/steve

#109 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

FWIW, I just tried AALL wisconsin live & Sports, Football and found that same @Iowa game, and it didn't ® it either. It will probably get ®'d by the end of the week, but in my case it won't record because it's on 610, which I don't get./steve

:lol: :lol: :) My Wisconsin @ Iowa game is now showing as ® !!! Maybe it takes a few weeks to start working ??

I'll continue to be patient. Steve, thanks for all of your help and support.

#110 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

:lol: :lol: :) My Wisconsin @ Iowa game is now showing as ® !!! Maybe it takes a few weeks to start working ??

I'll continue to be patient. Steve, thanks for all of your help and support.

Great to hear! If you haven't already voted for it, please visit the Wish List and help get this request bumped-up! TIA. /steve

An "UPDATE NOW" option to immediately populate the TO DO LIST with all matching programs in the GUIDE, after scheduling a SL, AUTORECORD, or re-ordering the PRIORITIZER.
/steve

#111 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:19 PM

That would save 14 spots in the PRIORITIZER!

That was indeed a great idea to combine searches like that, but Steve's "catch" is a big one in that when conflicts arise, the Prioritizer will decide what to record or skip based on the search position, not based on a position for each individual show. However, for someone with multiple DVRs who splits recordings across them may not ever run into this problem. For example, someone could record only CBS and NBC on one DVR, and record only FOX and ABC on another DVR. Then multiple recordings via ARSL based on channels really won't cause conflicts ... but how many people split up their recordings this way?

#112 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

Yes. If you're running the latest CE, post it in that CE's "issues" thread. Otherwise, if it's the national release, post it in one of the threads found here. You can see the s/w version you're on by pressing and holding the INFO button.

FWIW, I just tried AALL wisconsin live & Sports, Football and found that same @Iowa game, and it didn't ® it either. It will probably get ®'d by the end of the week, but in my case it won't record because it's on 610, which I don't get.

You're bumping into the same issue that many of us have been complaining about for ages (especially Drew2K). The more of us that complain about it in the "issues" threads, the more likely we'll get DirecTV to address this sooner rather than later.

/steve

Yeah, definitely a pet peeve of mine. I want the DVR to instantly find all matches from a new SL or ARSL and instantly add them ALL to the To Do List, conflicts included. I want to be able to moe a SL or ARSL up or down in the Prioritizer and go to the To Do list and instantly see updates based on the new positions: Did it create conflicts? Resolve conflicts? The engine and methodology currently used needs some tweaking, because it be scheduling recordings for search matches for up to two weeks, for however much guide data exists, yet it seems to haphazardly go out maybe only 4 to 7 days, especially on searches that have "daily" hits ...

#113 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

If you're a Daily To Do'er like I am, that wouldn't be that much of a problem, and I'd wager that folks using advanced searches generally do tend to check out their To Do Lists more often simply because they DO want to see what the search is finding and take the opportunity to cancel any undesired matches BEFORE they are actually made. Consider it pruning ... :P

#114 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:58 PM

... Looking at one of my TODO lists, I'd group them by channels.

• AANY heroes life order medium TTITLE CCHAN 4
  • AANY greys brothers betty private dancing legal TTITLE CCHAN 7
  • AANY CSI without criminal mentalist eleventh TTITLE CCHAN 2
That would save 14 spots in the PRIORITIZER! /steve

Isn't there a 50-character limit on Boolean search expressions? Channel 7's string has 62 characters and channel 2's string has 59.

Still, I'm going to try this approach (testing the 50 character limit if I don't get an answer on it).
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#115 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:29 AM

Isn't there a 50-character limit on Boolean search expressions? Channel 7's string has 62 characters and channel 2's string has 59.

Still, I'm going to try this approach (testing the 50 character limit if I don't get an answer on it).

There may be. Haven't put these in yet, but I heard there was a limit too. If so, I can change the CBS search to AANY csi trace minds mentalist hour TTITLE CCHAN 2

For the ABC search I can change "betty" to "ugly", "brothers" to "sisters" and "dancing" to "stars", but that's about it, I think. Guess it'll have to be chopped up into two searches. For example purposes, AANY greys ugly private stars legal TTITLE CCHAN 7 will do.

If we could use wildcards, I'd be able to truncate the words. Unfortunately, it appears stemming only works on single entries, not preceded by AANY or AALL. Not sure if that's a bug or by design.

/steve
/steve

#116 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:08 AM

For example, someone could record only CBS and NBC on one DVR, and record only FOX and ABC on another DVR. Then multiple recordings via ARSL based on channels really won't cause conflicts ... but how many people split up their recordings this way?

I do! :D I started doing it this season because of a couple triple conflicts. So I do CBS and FOX on one and NBC with OTA backups and cable shows on the other.

I did CBS and FOX on one because there is only one night with a conflict between the 2 and this allows me to record hockey on that DVR as well.

#117 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

Then I tried a more streamlined version of your search: notre dame & Show Type, Events. "notre dame" when not prefaced by AANY or AALL will only match shows containing the literal phrase "notre dame", and not a show that may contain the words in a different order. I could have also used "events" as a keyword, and since "notre" is such a rare word, AALL notre events works just as well in this case

/steve

I have found the above is not true. Last hockey season I was using two autorecords for Islander games. "AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS" AND "ISLANDERS AT". The "AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS" would only find Islanders home games, "ISLANDERS AT" only found away games. For comparison the HR10 using "AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS" finds both home and away games.

It seems the HR20 uses the exact order of the words in a search to produce results. The HR10 will produce matches that are out of order.

#118 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:16 AM

I have found the above is not true. Last hockey season I was using two autorecords for Islander games. "AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS" AND "ISLANDERS AT". The "AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS" would only find Islanders home games, "ISLANDERS AT" only found away games. For comparison the HR10 using "AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS" finds both home and away games.

It seems the HR20 uses the exact order of the words in a search to produce results. [...]

Hmm. I think we're in agreement. What am I missing? :) /steve
/steve

#119 OFFLINE   tsanga

tsanga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

I have the following keyword search item entered into my HR21-100/ver 0x255 prioritizer more than 2 weeks ago:

AALL NOTRE DAME LIVE EVENTS with the category SPORTS & Football.

Today this finds 5 items (correctly): among them, Notre Dame @ North Carolina.

The search is set to autorecord with the following options:
Episode Type: Both
Keep at Most : 5 Programs
Keep Until: Disk is Full
Start: On-time
Stop:On-Time

Problem: None of the shows are selected to be recorded.

The Search has no problems in finding the correct games. The problem is that it will not record them, even though AUTORECORD was activated :mad: .
In Prioritizer the Notre Dame item says Nothing Selected, yet when you select that Item it shows 5 items that could have been, and should have been recorded.

There are no other programs in the to-do list during the game time frame. There is no indication in the to-do list of anything regarding this game. Nothing exists in the history file either.

It appears that autorecord is not selecting something to be recorded.

Same happens for a similar ILLINOIS and WISCONSIN setup. Lots of items in the list, but nothing highlighted to record.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a very similar problem, although I'm not even using any advanced search features.

All I have is a search for MINNESOTA WILD, category Sports/Hockey. The search results all pull up fine, but nothing is marked to record even with auto-record turned on (and I have checked to make sure the auto-record entry is prioritized highly).

The only thing I could come up with is the recent Center-Ice free-view might have screwed it up a bit - perhaps shows were tagged to record on channels that were only available temporarily. Does the HR2x re-run its index of things to record periodically?

#120 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

Does the HR2x re-run its index of things to record periodically?

Yes, but how frequently, I don't know. It sometimes takes 2-3 days for things in my AUTORECORD to show up, and sometimes they show up instantly. There's no rhyme or reason I've been able to put my finger on, to date.

For this question, I defer to Drew2k and inkahauts, who may have a better idea of what's actually happening. /steve
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...