Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

... Stemming (psy matches psychology) only works on single SEARCH terms that aren't preceded by AANY or AALL. So a search for psy alone would have lots of matches, but a search for AANY psy would show no matches (at this time). And a search for psy and, say, spy would look for the literal phrase "psy spy". /steve

Warning: Try to avoid (accidentally) using stemming; it seems to take forever for such a search to complete. I tried searching for NIGHTLY, forgetting that the stupid software would assume I meant NIGHTLY* -- and I had to cancel the search.

BTW, cancelling a search failed for me at least once. It locked up the machine and I had to pull its plug. (I was not running, and had never run, a CE version on this particular HR2x.)
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

The only time you could have blackout issues is on actual ST channels in the 700's... but that should never be a problem either with game search, because if its blacked out there, then it should automatically find it on 2 if the game is being broadcast on 2...

Are you saying the game will record on both the ST channel and the local channel 2, and that one will just have the message or are you saying it will "intelligently" pick up the channel to record?

#123 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

Are you saying the game will record on both the ST channel and the local channel 2, and that one will just have the message or are you saying it will "intelligently" pick up the channel to record?

Oh, I think I understand what you mean by GAMESEARCH now...

#124 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

Isn't there a 50-character limit on Boolean search expressions?

There may be. Haven't put these in yet, but I heard there was a limit too... If we could use wildcards, I'd be able to truncate the words. Unfortunately, it appears stemming only works on single entries, not preceded by AANY or AALL. Not sure if that's a bug or by design. /steve

I hope it's a bug, and they fix it, because stemming-by-stealth (and taking forever) is very user-grouchy behavior.

There is a 50-character limit on Boolean search expressions. I tried to enter AANY Desperate Legal Mars Pushing Sexy TTITLE CCHAN 5 (53 chars) and got a "bong" as I tried to enter the N in CCHAN. I'm using the 0x255 national release.

AANY Desperate Legal Mars Pushing TTITLE CCHAN 5 found the movie Desperate Hours (Sun 10/19 12:05a). I'm tempted to redo the search with High Def as an added criterion, but I don't trust the guide data to apply the HD designation appropriately in all cases. I could use AANY Housewives Legal Mars Pushing TTITLE CCHAN 5 if necessary.

Edit: I realized belatedly that I should add & Show Type, Series to prevent matches on movies, etc.

Anyway, I moved my new combo SL to the top of the priority list and deleted these items (netting a saving of 3 slots):
Boston Legal
Desperate Housewives
Life On Mars
Pushing Daisies
I'll wait and see if the SD movie Desperate Hours (having no "episodes") gets recorded. More shrinking of my Prioritizer list is coming. Maybe the UI will get more responsive after all the shrinking is done -- or maybe my new, complex AANY Autorecords will help to keep it as slow as molasses.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010

#125 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

And if you further qualify the search as Show Type, Event, you should only get the games.

/steve

I am a bit confused by where i see &, used in these expressions around category names...Is there a fixed format to indicate category names?

#126 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

I am a bit confused by where i see &, used in these expressions around category names...Is there a fixed format to indicate category names?

Sorry for the confusion. "&" is just a shortcut we use to indicate moving to the next search screen, where you can further refine the search by selecting DirecTV's "canned" categories and sub-categories. /steve
/steve

#127 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

I wanted to post a couple very successful autorecord searches so far for NHL hockey.

Red Wings games - AALL Red Wings Live NNOT Post Pre CCHAN 663 664

This gets me all Red Wings games live broadcast but not the Pre and Post game shows (which are called "Red Wings Live" thus why I need to exclude them) on FSN Detroit and FSN Plus. Default 1 pad at the end. This has recorded every game so far.

Red Wings Pre-game shows: AALL Red Wings Live Pre CCHAN 663 664
This gets the pre-game shows. What's funny is that they don't seem to appear in the ToDo list until the day of. Not sure why.

Save search for all Red Wings games - AALL Red Wings Live CCHAN 215 664
This will pull up all games and live programs from NHL Network, Versus and FSN Detroit. No autorecord on this one.

#128 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:38 PM

I wanted to post a couple very successful autorecord searches so far for NHL hockey.

I too, have had great and immediate success with searches that include NNOT and CCHAN. The seem to populate immediately, and and set recording option in a very short time.

( Notre Dame is still showing no events this week. Illinois is showing 3, but only one is set to record ! I'm running out of time again. Can I be that it is detecting the other 2 games as duplicates of ILLINOIS, even though one is Northen Illinois @ .... and the other is (U of) Illinois @ ....... ???? Time will tell !)

#129 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:44 AM

Red Wings games - AALL Red Wings Live NNOT Post Pre CCHAN 663 664

This gets me all Red Wings games live broadcast but not the Pre and Post game shows (which are called "Red Wings Live" thus why I need to exclude them) on FSN Detroit and FSN Plus. Default 1 pad at the end. This has recorded every game so far.

Red Wings Pre-game shows: AALL Red Wings Live Pre CCHAN 663 664
This gets the pre-game shows. What's funny is that they don't seem to appear in the ToDo list until the day of. Not sure why.

Save search for all Red Wings games - AALL Red Wings Live CCHAN 215 664
This will pull up all games and live programs from NHL Network, Versus and FSN Detroit. No autorecord on this one.

To avoid the pre and post game shows, and any other shows that are not an actual game but have the word lakers in them, (like specials, etc) I use the word events as part of my AALL, and that gets rid of the other programs for me...

#130 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:29 AM

I've reduced my SLs from 48 to 30 using an idea suggested by oldfantom. I added Cathouse and Football Night In America. Would've saved more slots but for the fact that I had previously applied two other SL-saving tactics which I had to stop using.

These tactics are noted belatedly in a separate post, 3 posts below: http://www.dbstalk.c...4&postcount=133

The general form of oldfantom's idea is:

AANY <a series of unique keywords> TTITLE CCHAN n & Show Type, Series

My CBS keywords:
• Bang Cold CSI Ghost Half NCIS
• Mentalist Minds Numb3rs Trace
• Eleventh Minutes Survivor Unit
My ABC keywords:
• Desperate Legal Mars Pushing
My NBC keywords:
• Crusoe Law Office Rock Worst
• America Chuck Heroes Life
My Fox keywords:
• Bones Break Fringe House Sarah
My HBOwHD keywords:
• Blood Cathouse Maher Norton
My SHOwHD keywords:
• Californication Dexter NFL

BTW, searching for plain old FIRST TASTE crashed twice in a row. Searching went on for a while, but then the screen filled with the current program, and none of the remote buttons or front-panel buttons would work. Had to do an RBR or pull the plug.

Since this is happening under 0x255, which is about to be superseded, I don't suppose there's any use in submitting a report -- especially because that's hard to do under 0x255.

#131 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:42 AM

BTW, searching for plain old FIRST TASTE crashed twice in a row. Searching went on for a while, but then the screen filled with the current program, and none of the remote buttons or front-panel buttons would work. Had to do an RBR or pull the plug.

Since this is happening under 0x255, which is about to be superseded, I don't suppose there's any use in submitting a report -- especially because that's hard to do under 0x255.

FYI. Just tried "first taste" on an HR20-700 under the current CE. I got "no matches" after about a 1-second wait, so hopefully they already fixed what was wrong. /steve
/steve

#132 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hmm. I think we're in agreement. What am I missing? :) /steve

OK, I read your statement to mean the opposite. I mistakenly thought you wrote that "at islanders" and "islanders at" would find the same results.

BTW with the new CCHAN filter addition I cut my search down to a single entry and it works great!. I can now use "ISLANDERS CCHAN 634 639", SHOW TYPE, EVENTS. This only records games and allows recording of the overnight replays in the event of a conflict.

#133 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

I've reduced my SLs from 48 to 30 using an idea suggested by oldfantom... The general form of oldfantom's idea is:

AANY <a series of unique keywords> TTITLE CCHAN n & Show Type, Series

The quoted post is 3 posts above. Here's why I saved only 18 SLs rather than 30:

I added 5 SLs: My Own Worst Enemy, Letterman, Cathouse, Norton and Football Night In America. And I would've saved 7 more slots but for the fact that I had previously applied other SL-saving tactics which I had to stop using:

1. Three CSI series were being recorded with one CSI TTITLE.

2. Five shows were being recorded by extending the preceding shows each by one hour:
• The Big Bang Theory + Two And A Half Men
• Cold Case + The Unit
• House + Fringe
• NCIS + The Mentalist
• Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles + Prison Break

Piggybacking like that turned out to be not such a good idea for three reasons:
• Sometimes a show (like Cold Case) ends one minute past the hour.
• The Guide gives no indication that the extra show will be recorded.
• The Playlist offers no clue about the existence of an extra hour.

#134 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

As suggested to me, I am posting an issue here that I've been battling for a long time, in hopes it might be resolved. This was also posted in the issues thread:

I have a keyword auto record set up for the Colts, I don't pick Sports and Football for the category and sub category because to do so, gets me all the local sports talk shows on the Colts, which I don't want.

So I set up Colts NNOT High Def>Show Types>Live, because as I mentioned before, this is a DVR that's hooked up to an SDTV.

For the upcoming Colts vs Packers game it finally added an auto record this afternoon, for the SUNDAY TICKET game, I don't have Sunday Ticket, until this latest software the same keyword search wasn't even bringing up the ST games, now it is again.

While it continues to list the SD version scheduled on my local CBS affiliate for tomorrow, it ignores it as far as adding it to the TDL. By listing the game I mean the search shows the game available on my local CBS station in SD.

It just won't add it. It did however add the Colts vs Titan's game that's upcoming but on a local MPeg 4 OTA station. Again I set it up for SD auto records. HD recordings take up way too much disk space and with an SDTV they are unnecessary. An hour long HD show is fine but a football game (which I normally add an hour to an hour and a half to anyway) can run the disk space to 6% or lower since my DVR normally only averages about 17% disk space available.

I am wondering if this is happening because it is an HD DVR, yet last year it scheduled some football games in SD for me, via auto record.

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#135 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

As suggested to me, I am posting an issue here that I've been battling for a long time, in hopes it might be resolved. This was also posted in the issues thread:

I have a keyword auto record set up for the Colts, I don't pick Sports and Football for the category and sub category because to do so, gets me all the local sports talk shows on the Colts, which I don't want.

So I set up Colts NNOT High Def>Show Types>Live, because as I mentioned before, this is a DVR that's hooked up to an SDTV.

For the upcoming Colts vs Packers game it finally added an auto record this afternoon, for the SUNDAY TICKET game, I don't have Sunday Ticket, until this latest software the same keyword search wasn't even bringing up the ST games, now it is again.

While it continues to list the SD version scheduled on my local CBS affiliate for tomorrow, it ignores it as far as adding it to the TDL. By listing the game I mean the search shows the game available on my local CBS station in SD.

It just won't add it. It did however add the Colts vs Titan's game that's upcoming but on a local MPeg 4 OTA station. Again I set it up for SD auto records. HD recordings take up way too much disk space and with an SDTV they are unnecessary. An hour long HD show is fine but a football game (which I normally add an hour to an hour and a half to anyway) can run the disk space to 6% or lower since my DVR normally only averages about 17% disk space available.

I am wondering if this is happening because it is an HD DVR, yet last year it scheduled some football games in SD for me, via auto record.

You might try colts NNOT HD & Show Type, Live and let it schedule the game on 713. When it comes time to actually record, since that's a channel you don't get, see if the GAMESEARCH function kicks-in and finds the SD local for you. If not, then you may have an issue. I say "may" because I don't know if GAMESEARCH is "smart enough to look for HD vs. SD. Only one way to find out. :) /steve
/steve

#136 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

You might try colts NNOT HD & Show Type, Live and let it schedule the game on 713. When it comes time to actually record, since that's a channel you don't get, see if the GAMESEARCH function kicks-in and finds the SD local for you. If not, then you may have an issue. I say "may" because I don't know if GAMESEARCH is "smart enough to look for HD vs. SD. Only one way to find out. :) /steve

Thanks for the idea. I may try that if I am available when the game starts, in case gamesearch wouldn't work. I don't want to risk missing the game. Although with the way the Colts have been playing most games, it might be better if I did miss it.

Anyway thank you again for your help. :)

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#137 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

If the Colts are always on your local then limit the autorecord to just your locals and ignore the 700s.

So

colts NNOT HD CCHAN 2 50

would only look at your locals. If it's always on the same one station, say channel 3, then just put CCHAN 3

#138 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

If the Colts are always on your local then limit the autorecord to just your locals and ignore the 700s.

So

colts NNOT HD CCHAN 2 50

would only look at your locals. If it's always on the same one station, say channel 3, then just put CCHAN 3

The Colts games are usually on local channel 8 CBS, or on local 23 or rarely if ever, Fox 59.

The way the Colts are playing, scheduling to record their games may be a moot point soon. :(

Thank you for the suggestion though, I tried every possible search I could think of last night, none of them showed the game scheduled for today on CBS so that makes me think, since the game was clearly listed in the program guide that it was a guide error. It was causing the HR20 to not even find the game. So I just set up a one time record through the program guide for today's loss.

For the Colt's loss to the Titan's a week from Monday, that game is on the TDL already but again the DVR scheduled the HD version, a local OTA channel, channel no. 23-1 instead of just the SD channel 23. Even though I specified nnot high def.

I'll keep trying. Again, thank you.

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#139 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

From another thread, FYI:

AANY heroes life order medium TTITLE CCHAN 4

I just tried this search and I got no results returned. I changed the CCHAN to 11 which is my local NBC affliliate. I have a HR20-100 running the current software. I am not part of the CE program.

I believe I discovered what's causing the problem. I tried AANY heroes life law TTITLE CCHAN 4, and got matches for Heroes and L&O:SVU, but not Life on the 25th.

AANY life TTITLE only shows results out to the 23d. I think the HR reaches a limit of how many matches on the word "life" it can display in the results (500 by my estimate). Apparently, DirecTV is filtering by the word first and channel second, so there are no instances of Life in an NBC title within the first 500 matches.

Good news is that it should record... it just won't get scheduled until it's closer to the date and the AUTORECORD SEARCH can "find" it in the first 500 results.

Reporting this as an "issue" as well.

/steve
/steve

#140 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

For the Colt's loss to the Titan's a week from Monday, that game is on the TDL already but again the DVR scheduled the HD version, a local OTA channel, channel no. 23-1 instead of just the SD channel 23. Even though I specified nnot high def.

Sorry it didn't work for you Melody. If you haven't already, you may want to follow up your "Issues" post with what actually happened yesterday.

RE: the Titan's game, I actually believe the Colts can win that game and bring the Titans down to earth. As you can imagine, I'm a Manning fan. :) /steve
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...