Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:21 AM

... AANY life TTITLE only shows results out to the 23d. I think the HR reaches a limit of how many matches on the word "life" it can display in the results (500 by my estimate). Apparently, DirecTV is filtering by the word first and channel second, so there are no instances of Life in an NBC title within the first 500 matches...

I'm trying to understand...

I'm assuming & Show Type, Series is appended to the search...

Do you mean that there (apparently) are no instances of Life in an NBC (series) title within the first 500 matches on the word Life (including VOD titles and channels I can't get)?

What makes you think it's 500 rather than 100 or 1000 or... ?
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:42 AM

What makes you think it's 500 rather than 100 or 1000 or... ?

I did a rough count of the results of life TTITLE.

I'm assuming & Show Type, Series is appended to the search...

Never assume. :) I don't use that, because it relies on the data to be properly tagged. My testing shows that just a word from the title and the channel is usually sufficient to avoid any bad matches.

Do you mean that there (apparently) are no instances of Life in an NBC (series) title within the first 500 matches on the word Life (including VOD titles and channels I can't get)?

That was the case, at least on Sunday night and Monday AM. /steve
/steve

#143 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:30 AM

As of 9AM this morning:

chuck TTITLE CCHAN 4 matched 1 show.

heroes TTITLE CCHAN 4 matched 1 show.

AANY heroes chuck TTITLE CCHAN 4 matches 2 shows.

AANY chuck heroes america life TTITLE CCHAN 4 matched "0" shows.

Looks like the 500 result limit is the sum of all results from all keywords combined. So if there are 500 instances of life and america in titles before a Chuck or Heroes is found, they won't show in the results.

I'm guessing they will eventually be scheduled, but not until they can be found within the first 500 hits from all keywords.

/steve
/steve

#144 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

Sorry it didn't work for you Melody. If you haven't already, you may want to follow up your "Issues" post with what actually happened yesterday.

RE: the Titan's game, I actually believe the Colts can win that game and bring the Titans down to earth. As you can imagine, I'm a Manning fan. :) /steve

I do appreciate your help. This has been a vexing issue for me for a couple of years now, not being able to auto record the Colts games.

PS. It probably didn't sound like it but I'm still a loyal Colts fan, my previous post was a bit tongue in cheek, I'm just really, really frustrated with the Colts right now. In all honesty though, with the way they are playing, I'd be beyond shocked if they could beat the undefeated Titan's. I'm a Manning fan too, as well as a Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark and Jeff Saturday fan. :)

Back to topic, I will continue trying to create a workable keyword auto record for the Colts, if I am successful I'll report back on the thread. :)

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#145 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:54 AM

... I'm a Manning fan too, as well as a Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark and Jeff Saturday fan. :)

Great players all (even though I'm now a Vikings fan who bleeds purple). But, having been born and bred in Baltimore, it's always been hard for me to watch the Colts ever since the elder Irsay packed up the Baltimore Colts' stuff in a Mayflower moving van and stole away in the middle of the night.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#146 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:39 AM

I will continue trying to create a workable keyword auto record for the Colts, if I am successful I'll report back on the thread. :)

I was fooling around trying to construct an SD-only GIANTS AUTORECORD. I noticed that if I said NNOT hd, I'd still get an occasional "HD" show in the results, so I tried both NNOT hdtv and NNOT high (as part of "High-Def"), and both worked. There were no "HD's" in the results.

So why not try colts NNOT hdtv CCHAN 2 100 & Show Type, Events and see what matches you get for next week? Play with the channel range as appropriate.

/steve
/steve

#147 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

I was fooling around trying to construct an SD-only GIANTS AUTORECORD. I noticed that if I said NNOT hd, I'd still get an occasional "HD" show in the results, so I tried both NNOT hdtv and NNOT high (as part of "High-Def"), and both worked. There were no "HD's" in the results.

So why not try colts NNOT hdtv CCHAN 2 100 & Show Type, Events and see what matches you get for next week? Play with the channel range as appropriate.

/steve

I have tried the auto record alternating between using nnot "high def" or nnot "hdtv" both netted the same results. I either get HD returns or the game on local OTA channels like say, 23-1 which still runs up way too much space on the hard drive.

I am looking to get the games stictly on an SD channel, the game will be listed on the SD channel in the guide but gets repeatedly ignored as far as the game actually being scheduled on the TDL.

I either didn't realize or had forgotten you could set for a range of channels, not really sure exactly how to do that. The games here are generally on 8, 13, 59 or even a primetime ESPN 206 game or the occasional primetime NFL Network game.

I have had better luck going with "Show Types>Live" rather then Events, events seems to give me other Colts oriented shows such as NFL Reply or games on the NFLHD network or ESPNHD. Using "Live" seems to narrow it down to games on my local affiliates in SD the DVR just won't acknowledge them as far as recording them. Anyway thank you again very much for the ideas. I will keep trying. :)

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#148 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

I have tried the auto record alternating between using nnot "high def" or nnot "hdtv" both netted the same results. I either get HD returns or the game on local OTA channels like say, 23-1 which still runs up way too much space on the hard drive.

Ahhh. More information! :) I didn't realize OTA was involved. It seems from another test I ran that when an OTA channel is available in SEARCH results, the HR "assumes" that's what you want, probably since it's the highest quality recording you can make on an HR2x.

I'm not sure if the decision to always choose OTA is a "bug" or a "feature". I suspect the latter. If so, then what's needed is a way to specify an SD channel in the search. NNOT HDTV should do that. Since it doesn't, you might want to again report it as a bug by replying to my HDTV post in the current issues thread. I ran that test on an HR that wasn't connected to an OTA antenna.

As far as channel ranges go, CCHAN 2 100 will only match channels between 2 and 100, so in your case, you probably want to specify CCHAN 8 59, or better still make one AUTORECORD for each channel, since you can't say CCHAN 8 13 59. The search parser won't understand it the way you meant it. They still have some work to do on that front. :)

/steve
/steve

#149 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

Ahhh. More information! :) I didn't realize OTA was involved. It seems from another test I ran that when an OTA channel is available in SEARCH results, the HR "assumes" that's what you want, probably since it's the highest quality recording you can make on an HR2x.

I'm not sure if the decision to always choose OTA is a "bug" or a "feature". I suspect the latter. If so, then what's needed is a way to specify an SD channel in the search. NNOT HDTV should do that. Since it doesn't, you might want to again report it as a bug by replying to my HDTV post in the current issues thread. I ran that test on an HR that wasn't connected to an OTA antenna.

As far as channel ranges go, CCHAN 2 100 will only match channels between 2 and 100, so in your case, you probably want to specify CCHAN 8 59, or better still make one AUTORECORD for each channel, since you can't say CCHAN 8 13 59. The search parser won't understand it the way you meant it. They still have some work to do on that front. :)

/steve

Last night I tried the following search: Colts nnot hdtv cchan 8 212 Show Types, Live, finally it netted me at least some of the results I am hoping for.

It still scheduled the Colts vs Titan's game on the OTA channel 23-1 which eats up too much hard drive space, but for the upcoming Colts vs Patriots game it DID actually schedule it for the local NBC affiliate on the SD channel, which is what I have wanted right along! I was extremely pleased that it put both recordings on the TDL immediately. Which it had not been doing. Now if I could get it to pick up the Colts vs Titan's game on channel 23 instead of 23-1 it would be perfect.

All in all this is the most progress I've seen in the two years I've had the HR20-700 so I am pleased. Thank you so much for all of your help, if you hadn't mentioned the channel range part of the search I'd have never remembered it was even possible. Thanks again, so much. :)

PS. It did take putting in hdtv as opposed to high def to get it to stop listing the game on NFLHD.

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#150 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

Last night I tried the following search: Colts nnot hdtv cchan 8 212 Show Types, Live, finally it netted me at least some of the results I am hoping for.

It still scheduled the Colts vs Titan's game on the OTA channel 23-1 which eats up too much hard drive space, but for the upcoming Colts vs Patriots game it DID actually schedule it for the local NBC affiliate on the SD channel, which is what I have wanted right along! I was extremely pleased that it put both recordings on the TDL immediately. Which it had not been doing. Now if I could get it to pick up the Colts vs Titan's game on channel 23 instead of 23-1 it would be perfect.

All in all this is the most progress I've seen in the two years I've had the HR20-700 so I am pleased. Thank you so much for all of your help, if you hadn't mentioned the channel range part of the search I'd have never remembered it was even possible. Thanks again, so much. :)

PS. It did take putting in hdtv as opposed to high def to get it to stop listing the game on NFLHD.

Good to hear. You could "uninstall" your OTA antenna if you're not routinely using it for space reasons. That would remove those channels from the available pool SEARCH could match. I realize that's a pain though, and then you won't have it as back-up for weather issues.

I'm going to test this and if I get the same results, report NNOT HDTV not being respected by OTA channels as an "issue".

RE: HDTV. Yes, that works. I could have sworn that "HD" used to work, tho. I'm always looking for ways to shave characters where I can, because of the 50 limit. :) /steve
/steve

#151 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

Good to hear. You could "uninstall" your OTA antenna if you're not routinely using it for space reasons. That would remove those channels from the available pool SEARCH could match. I realize that's a pain though, and then you won't have it as back-up for weather issues.

I'm going to test this and if I get the same results, report NNOT HDTV not being respected by OTA channels as an "issue".

RE: HDTV. Yes, that works. I could have sworn that "HD" used to work, tho. I'm always looking for ways to shave characters where I can, because of the 50 limit. :) /steve

Thank you for the suggestion but I normally leave that particular DVR on the local CBS affiliate's sub channel 8-2 (called LWS) that's a 24/7 local weather channel.

I am a weather "buff" being terrified of thunderstorms I always want to know "where they are". So uninstalling the OTA would definitely not be an option for me. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

I suspect that I will simply "weed out" games it schedules on an OTA channel and just add them from the guide on the SD version. At least it is adding some SD games for me so I think that's something to be happy about at this point. Again, thanks so much! :)

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#152 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

I'm going to test this and if I get the same results, report NNOT hdtv not being respected by OTA channels as an "issue".

Well interesting results, here. I enabled "show SD duplicates" and ran some searches.

A SEARCH for giants & Show Type, Events matched 12 shows for Sunday, 5 on HD channels, inlcuding 5 WNYW (MPEG-4 HD), 5-1 WNYWDT (OTA HD) and 5 NY5 (SD).

A SEARCH for giants NNOT hdtv & Show Type, Events matched the 7 shows that were not tagged "HD", including 5 NY5.

So NNOT hdtv worked for me as expected by filtering out all the HD channels, including the OTA channel. Not sure why it's not working for you. As a result, I can't report it as an issue, but you may still want to. Is it possible your GUIDE data for the OTA showing does not include an "HD" tag?

/steve
/steve

#153 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

Well interesting results, here. I enabled "show SD duplicates" and ran some searches.

A SEARCH for giants & Show Type, Events matched 12 shows for Sunday, 5 on HD channels, inlcuding 5 WNYW (MPEG-4 HD), 5-1 WNYWDT (OTA HD) and 5 NY5 (SD).

A SEARCH for giants NNOT hdtv & Show Type, Events matched the 7 shows that were not tagged "HD", including 5 NY5.

So NNOT hdtv worked for me as expected by filtering out all the HD channels, including the OTA channel. Not sure why it's not working for you. As a result, I can't report it as an issue, but you may still want to. Is it possible your GUIDE data for the OTA showing does not include an "HD" tag?

/steve

Not near my DVR at the moment so I can't check on that, but I did notice in your searches you went with "Show Types, Events", whereas I go with Show Types, Live. When I had used events it included some other Colts oriented programs that I wasn't interested in. Can't remember specific programs at this moment. But Show Types, Live filtered those out for me.

Melody

HR24-100*
HR24-500*

#154 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

Not near my DVR at the moment so I can't check on that, but I did notice in your searches you went with "Show Types, Events", whereas I go with Show Types, Live. When I had used events it included some other Colts oriented programs that I wasn't interested in. Can't remember specific programs at this moment. But Show Types, Live filtered those out for me.

I tried it again with Show Type, Live and got the same results... when I add NNOT hdtv, no OTA matches show up. I'd check the OTA GUIDE data. If it isn't flagged as "HD", that would explain your results. If it is, then I'd report it as an "issue".

Just my .02. :) /steve
/steve

#155 OFFLINE   Anaisa

Anaisa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

Is the todo list populating faster with this new release? I did a search for fun trying to produce a smart query, pressed autorecord and went to my todo list. At least some of the results I had in the search were already in the todo list, it use to take ages!

I will do some more research before getting too happy...

#156 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

For the First time in three weeks, Notre Dame, Illinois and Wisconsin games are not only showing in the Prioritizer lists, but the LIVE EVENT games are scheduled to record. :) :hurah:

It looks to me like 290 has fixed my record problem.

Thanks to all that have helped me with this issue.

It is finally working as I expect.

#157 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Is the todo list populating faster with this new release?

For the First time in three weeks, Notre Dame, Illinois and Wisconsin games are not only showing in the Prioritizer lists, but the LIVE EVENT games are scheduled to record. :) :hurah:

It looks to me like 290 has fixed my record problem.

Yes. I noticed with some of my own searches that SL's and AUTORECORDSa are populating a bit faster with this release, but still not in all cases, so I wouldn't call it fixed just yet. :) That said, it's good to know DirecTV is apparently working on it. I'm hopeful that at some point in the near future, we'll see (or have the option to "force") immediate population of the TODO list with all matches in the current GUIDE data.

/steve
/steve

#158 OFFLINE   Jack_Skellington

Jack_Skellington

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:53 AM

Ugh I hate this. I'm in Utah trying to have this dang DVR auto record Utah Jazz games. This used to be exceedingly easy on TiVo, since I could edit the friggin channels I receive list. Now it looks like I'm going to have to set FIVE separate auto record searches using the CCHAN filter to make sure this stupid DVR records the Utah Jazz games on the channels I ACTUALLY get. If I keep my current search that is not filtered, it will try to record the following channels that I either don't get or will have the games blacked out:
NBA TV 601
Altitude 681
The NBA League Pass channels

I need it to only record the following channels:
KJZZ 14-1
ESPN 206
TNT 245
FSN Utah 684
FSN Utah HD 684-1

I guess I might be able to get away with setting four searches by combining 684 and 684-1 into one search. Maybe even three searches if I combine 206 and 245 into one search. It's still lame that I have to do it this way rather than being able to edit the channels I receive list or use a favorites list as a search filter. I really can't wait to get TiVo back next year.

#159 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:00 AM

Ugh I hate this. I'm in Utah trying to have this dang DVR auto record Utah Jazz games. This used to be exceedingly easy on TiVo, since I could edit the friggin channels I receive list. Now it looks like I'm going to have to set FIVE separate auto record searches using the CCHAN filter to make sure this stupid DVR records the Utah Jazz games on the channels I ACTUALLY get. If I keep my current search that is not filtered, it will try to record the following channels that I either don't get or will have the games blacked out:
NBA TV 601
Altitude 681
The NBA League Pass channels

The GAMESEARCH feature is supposed to take care of that for you. If a recording is scheduled on a channel you don't get or that is blacked-out, it should find the same game on a channel you do get. IIRC, it doesn't happen until the time of the recording, however, so you won't see it in the TODO list in advance. (Others may correct me on this point.)

So in theory, if you don't care which channels get recorded, as long as you get the game, a single search for jazz & Show Type, Events might be all you need. I'd give that a try first, and if it doesn't work, we can go back to the drawing board.

/steve
/steve

#160 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

I need it to only record the following channels:
KJZZ 14-1
ESPN 206
TNT 245
FSN Utah 684
FSN Utah HD 684-1

I guess I might be able to get away with setting four searches by combining 684 and 684-1 into one search. Maybe even three searches if I combine 206 and 245 into one search. It's still lame that I have to do it this way rather than being able to edit the channels I receive list or use a favorites list as a search filter. I really can't wait to get TiVo back next year.

Gamesearch should work for you in this case. But you could get away with two autorecord searches for this:

CCHAN 14 245 - This takes care of your local, ESPN and TNT. No other channels in between that might carry the game so you're good to go.

CCHAN 684 - that will take care of FSN Utah and the HD version.

I've got two for my Red Wings.
CCHAN 215 604 - takes care of NHL Network and Versus
CCHAN 663 664 - takes care of FSN Detroit and FSN Plus

Protected By... spam firewall...And...