Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced SEARCH/AUTORECORD Help & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

I tried it again with Show Type, Live and got the same results... when I add NNOT hdtv, no OTA matches show up. I'd check the OTA GUIDE data. If it isn't flagged as "HD", that would explain your results. If it is, then I'd report it as an "issue".

Just my .02. :) /steve

Thanks, I did check guide data last night, and lo and behold the game scheduled for 23-1 says absolutely nothing about being "high def" or "hdtv" which is probably why it was added to the TDL instead of the game on SD channel 23. You were correct, thanks again. :)

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:16 PM

Hello, I'm new to the Boolean searching system. I'm wanting to make sure my enteries are correct.

FIRST:

I'm wanting to record ALL woodworking shows on tv EXCEPT the national PBS channels I don't get and block VOD.

I entered:

"AALL WOODWORKING NNOT VOD #384

For the may Stargate shows I watch I entered:

AANY STARGATE TTITLE NNOT #380-381 VOD MOVIE

I blocked the CBS nationals and VOD and Movies

Is this all correct?

THANKS!
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#163 OFFLINE   Jack_Skellington

Jack_Skellington

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

Gamesearch should work for you in this case. But you could get away with two autorecord searches for this:

CCHAN 14 245 - This takes care of your local, ESPN and TNT. No other channels in between that might carry the game so you're good to go.

CCHAN 684 - that will take care of FSN Utah and the HD version.

I've got two for my Red Wings.
CCHAN 215 604 - takes care of NHL Network and Versus
CCHAN 663 664 - takes care of FSN Detroit and FSN Plus

Here's the problem I've run into during pre-season. I have KJZZ 14 from DirecTV, and KJZZDT 14-1 from OTA. The DirecTV feed is not HD, so I don't want that feed recorded. During pre-season the DVR has recorded the pre and post game shows from both 14 and 14-1, but has not even bothered to attempt to record the actual game. I can't figure that one out. Luckily only 16 of 82 games will be broadcast on KJZZ this year. 60 games will be on FSN Utah, and the remaining 6 games exclusively on TNT. Recording ESPN isn't too vital, though sometimes I like watching on ESPN. Usually it's not blacked out for me on ESPN, so hopefully that continues. I don't trust this gamesearch business. It doesn't seem to have worked too well for recording 49ers games this season, though the DVR may actually be doing me a favor not recording those.

#164 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Hello, I'm new to the Boolean searching system. I'm wanting to make sure my enteries are correct.

FIRST:

I'm wanting to record ALL woodworking shows on tv EXCEPT the national PBS channels I don't get and block VOD.

I entered:

"AALL WOODWORKING NNOT VOD #384

For the may Stargate shows I watch I entered:

AANY STARGATE TTITLE NNOT #380-381 VOD MOVIE

I blocked the CBS nationals and VOD and Movies

Is this all correct?

THANKS!

Both the channel parts of those SEARCHES need a bit of work before they'll work as expected. :) Also, it is not necessary to use AANY and AALL with a single keyword in the first part of the SEARCH statement. You only need them when you have multiple keywords and either all must be in the matched show, or any single one of them. That said, the searches will still work, but why go through the extra typing if you don't have to? :)

For the first SEARCH, try woodworking NNOT VOD. See if that matches the expected shows. The HR shouldn't ultimately schedule a recording on a channel you don't subscribe to, even if it matches it.

For the second search, try stargate TTITLE NNOT vod movie and see what matches you get with that. I'm not in front of an HR right now, and I'm not sure if it's movie or movies, so you may have to try both. If the show is on a national channel, it will also be on your local channel, and that should be the one the HR chooses to record.

Unfortunately, AUTORECORDS are slow to populate the TODO list, so it may be a day or two before you see what actually gets scheduled, if the initial matches look right, you should be OK.

Check back in if you get unexpected results! :)

/steve
/steve

#165 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

Here's the problem I've run into during pre-season. I have KJZZ 14 from DirecTV, and KJZZDT 14-1 from OTA. The DirecTV feed is not HD, so I don't want that feed recorded. During pre-season the DVR has recorded the pre and post game shows from both 14 and 14-1, but has not even bothered to attempt to record the actual game.

What search string were you using?

When I get AUTORECORD matches on 5 and 5-1, e.g., my HR always schedules 5-1. And if I "hide SD duplicates" in system prefs, it will only record the HD channel, if there is a choice.

Given that experience, if you have "SD dupes hidden" and OTA, I'm not sure why jazz & Show Types, Events isn't all you need to get just the games in HD. You could further insure only HD if you said AALL jazz HDTV & Show Types, Events, but then you run the risk of missing the 14 and 14-1 games if the 14-1 data isn't tagged properly as HD, the problem MercurialIN had above with her Colts games.

Under no circumstances should it be autorecording games on channels that aren't part of your subscription package. If it does, that's an "issue" that needs to be reported loudly. And if you do get a channel and the game is blacked-out, GAMESEARCH is supposed to handle that. What I don't know is if GAMESEARCH favors HD over SD if there's a choice. My guess is it would favor HD, just like it favors OTA over MPEG-4 for my locals.

/steve
/steve

#166 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

Here's the problem I've run into during pre-season. I have KJZZ 14 from DirecTV, and KJZZDT 14-1 from OTA. The DirecTV feed is not HD, so I don't want that feed recorded. During pre-season the DVR has recorded the pre and post game shows from both 14 and 14-1, but has not even bothered to attempt to record the actual game. I can't figure that one out. Luckily only 16 of 82 games will be broadcast on KJZZ this year. 60 games will be on FSN Utah, and the remaining 6 games exclusively on TNT. Recording ESPN isn't too vital, though sometimes I like watching on ESPN. Usually it's not blacked out for me on ESPN, so hopefully that continues. I don't trust this gamesearch business. It doesn't seem to have worked too well for recording 49ers games this season, though the DVR may actually be doing me a favor not recording those.

What search string were you using?

When I get AUTORECORD matches on 5 and 5-1, e.g., my HR always schedules 5-1. And if I "hide SD duplicates" in system prefs, it will only record the HD channel, if there is a choice.

Given that experience, if you have "SD dupes hidden" and OTA, I'm not sure why jazz & Show Types, Events isn't all you need to get just the games in HD. You could further insure only HD if you said AALL jazz HDTV & Show Types, Events, but then you run the risk of missing the 14 and 14-1 games if the 14-1 data isn't tagged properly as HD, the problem MercurialIN had above with her Colts games.

Under no circumstances should it be autorecording games on channels that aren't part of your subscription package. If it does, that's an "issue" that needs to be reported loudly. And if you do get a channel and the game is blacked-out, GAMESEARCH is supposed to handle that. What I don't know is if GAMESEARCH favors HD over SD if there's a choice. My guess is it would favor HD, just like it favors OTA over MPEG-4 for my locals.

/steve

Not sure about this one... Have youy tried CCHAN 14-1? Are the games on 14-1 labeled HD? Out of curiosity, when your in the guide, what are the call signs of 14 and 14-1? For example, in LA CBS has the follwing call signs... sd Sat feed... LA2 The HD sat feed is listed as KCBS and the OTA HD feed is KCBSDT.... I wonder if the different call signs have anything to do with what the unit recognizes as the same channels or not.... ANd if so, how does one adjust for it? I will ponder...

#167 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:06 PM

Not sure about this one... Have youy tried CCHAN 14-1? Are the games on 14-1 labeled HD? Out of curiosity, when your in the guide, what are the call signs of 14 and 14-1? For example, in LA CBS has the follwing call signs... sd Sat feed... LA2 The HD sat feed is listed as KCBS and the OTA HD feed is KCBSDT.... I wonder if the different call signs have anything to do with what the unit recognizes as the same channels or not.... ANd if so, how does one adjust for it? I will ponder...

In NY, F0X 5 SD is NY5, Fox 5 MPEG-4 is WNYW and Fox 5-1 OTA is WNYWDT. With "SD dupes off", and matches for 5 and 5-1, my HR21-700 schedules 5-1. /steve
/steve

#168 OFFLINE   Jack_Skellington

Jack_Skellington

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

The search I tried originally was just a keyword search for Jazz filtered by category for Sports/Basketball. One of the problems with this that I'm not sure I touched on, is that it was recording games off NBA TV. I don't subscribe to NBA TV. I just recently decided to try the CCHAN filter to see if it would provide better results. In the guide there are two listings for the channel. The first is 14 SC14 (DirecTV feed with no HD), followed by 14-1 KJZZDT (OTA feed with HD).

So far the only HD programming from KJZZ has been the the Jazz games in the playoffs last year. I have heard that they plan to broadcast all 16 of their regular season games in HD this year. It looks like there is no HD label in the guide for the games. The search I have set for CCHAN 14-1 is only showing that it will record the pre and post game shows on both 14 and 14-1, but not the actual games. Just like happened during pre-season.

This is starting to frustrate me. It was so much easier to accomplish this task on TiVo. I was able to edit my Channels I Receive list, set the AutoRecord WishList, and forget it. So incredibly simple. Now look at all this work and hassle I'm going through to try to set it up. At this point I think I'd be better off forgetting the autorecord search, and manually recording the games this season. Hopefully I'll have the new HD TiVo by next season, and can forget this annoying HR-21.

#169 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:34 AM

The search I tried originally was just a keyword search for Jazz filtered by category for Sports/Basketball. One of the problems with this that I'm not sure I touched on, is that it was recording games off NBA TV. I don't subscribe to NBA TV. I just recently decided to try the CCHAN filter to see if it would provide better results. In the guide there are two listings for the channel. The first is 14 SC14 (DirecTV feed with no HD), followed by 14-1 KJZZDT (OTA feed with HD).

So far the only HD programming from KJZZ has been the the Jazz games in the playoffs last year. I have heard that they plan to broadcast all 16 of their regular season games in HD this year. It looks like there is no HD label in the guide for the games. The search I have set for CCHAN 14-1 is only showing that it will record the pre and post game shows on both 14 and 14-1, but not the actual games. Just like happened during pre-season.

This is starting to frustrate me. It was so much easier to accomplish this task on TiVo. I was able to edit my Channels I Receive list, set the AutoRecord WishList, and forget it. So incredibly simple. Now look at all this work and hassle I'm going through to try to set it up. At this point I think I'd be better off forgetting the autorecord search, and manually recording the games this season. Hopefully I'll have the new HD TiVo by next season, and can forget this annoying HR-21.

If your jazz & sports, basketball is picking up the pre- and post-game shows ans isn't picking up the game, then most likely the GUIDE data for the game isn't tagged "basketball". Take a look at the games INFO screen and see what categories they're using. Most games are usually tagged "events", among other things.

If so, I would try running a SEARCH for jazz & Show Type, Events. If you like the matches, then select AUTORECORD. /steve
/steve

#170 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,243 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

I tried searching AALL 24 DAY 4 search results netted nothing when in deed there is

JACK,

#171 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:19 PM

I tried searching AALL 24 DAY 4 search results netted nothing when in deed there is

I'm not at home, but I checked directv.com and the only thing I could find were six episodes of 24 Day 5 on channel 275, 2 each on the 28th, 29th and 30th. If those should be "Day 4", maybe a GUIDE data issue? /steve
/steve

#172 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

I just submitted this issue for v290:

http://www.dbstalk.c...7&postcount=193

Has anyone else had this problem? The hockey searches are the only ones I use
cchan for and they populate the todo list out of priority.

#173 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:26 AM

I just submitted this issue for v290:

http://www.dbstalk.c...7&postcount=193

Has anyone else had this problem? The hockey searches are the only ones I use
cchan for and they populate the todo list out of priority.

Fascinating issue. So if I understand it, what's not happening is that when the Islanders and Devils games are finally "found", the TODO list is not being re-prioritized and previously scheduled lower priority shows are not being bumped. No excuse for that, IMO. A flat out bug. /steve
/steve

#174 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Yes, that's it exactly. Last year I did not have this problem because I manually programmed the games from VS Network and didn't record much from NHL Network. I also did not have an auto record for the Devils. With 4 total DVRs in the house I would like them to be more automated.

#175 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

Fascinating issue. So if I understand it, what's not happening is that when the Islanders and Devils games are finally "found", the TODO list is not being re-prioritized and previously scheduled lower priority shows are not being bumped. No excuse for that, IMO. A flat out bug. /steve

I reported that problem a while back to explain why some people didnt get the shows they expected to be recorded.

Someone will be along shortly to explain why this is a beneficial feature...

Of course, the good question is what to do when someone has scheduled something and the recording slot is available, and then an autorecord materializes that invalidates that recording. I know the to-do list will show it with a red circle with an 'x' in it, but since autorecords seem to populate not very far out and on an unpredictable schedule. I guess you'd need to check your to-do list every day just to be sure.

Complain about that 'please wait' when you redid your tivo to-do list, but that long look ahead through 12-14 days of recordings to make sure everything was set to record properly and you knew about conflicts maybe wasnt such a bad thing.

#176 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

IComplain about that 'please wait' when you redid your tivo to-do list, but that long look ahead through 12-14 days of recordings to make sure everything was set to record properly and you knew about conflicts maybe wasnt such a bad thing.

Not a bad thing at all. And with the 6.x DirecTiVo software upgrade, that wait was reduced to 15-30 seconds for my 35+ Seasons Pass list. That was on a box with a slower CPU with less memory, so I don't see this as a "lack of horsepower" issue on the HR2x platform, but rather a database programming algorithm issue.

Having to check the TODO list daily (or in some cases more than once a day) gets tired real fast, IMHO, even assuming folks have the time to do it. While I believe it should be automatic every time a new SL or single record is scheduled, a future recording is deleted, or the PRIORITIZER is re-ordered, we have a request on the Wish List for the option to force an immediate rebuild of the TODO list using all available GUIDE data. For those that like this idea and haven't already voted for it. please do so at the link below. TIA. /steve
/steve

#177 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

I did vote for the feature in the survey a while back. I agree 100% with t_h. Before I schedule any one off recordings on the HR20 I go to the prioritizer, check up coming episodes of auto records, and write them down.

This method assures me the time slots are left open for the things I expect the recorder to pick up on its own.

#178 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

I do not subscribe to any of the movie stations. I have Total Choice Plus and HD. I have tried some auto records for movies in the past to keep a stock on hand. What I find is the DVR is constantly recording. I wouldn't mind, but my wife is not much of a DVR gal. She just likes to flip a few channels and find something to watch.

Is there any way to only record movies over night or only once a day?

I did try "cchan 242 249" to limit the selection. That helped but there were still too many recordings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#179 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

I do not subscribe to any of the movie stations. I have Total Choice Plus and HD. I have tried some auto records for movies in the past to keep a stock on hand. What I find is the DVR is constantly recording. I wouldn't mind, but my wife is not much of a DVR gal. She just likes to flip a few channels and find something to watch.

Is there any way to only record movies over night or only once a day?

I did try "cchan 242 249" to limit the selection. That helped but there were still too many recordings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That's a head scratcher. No way I can think of to limit the "window" for an AUTORECORD. You could further limit the AUTORECORD by movie genre, though you'd probably have to set up one each for "drama", "mystery", etc. Still no guarantee there wouldn't be something recording when your wife wants to watch LIVE TV, however.

Maybe the solution is to add a second receiver for her? Or, assuming you have more than one DVR, when MRV comes along, maybe you can make the main recording unit one she doesn't normally watch LIVE TV on.

Just some random thoughts. /steve
/steve

#180 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

Prioritizer is showing:
CHICAGO NNOT HUDDLE CCHAN 2 51 $ sports/Football (2) Autorecord
AALL NOTRE DAME LIVE EVENTS & sports/football (0) Autorecord
AALL WISCONSIN FOOTBALL EVENTS LIVE (0) Autorecord
AALL ILLINOIS EVENTS LIVE & sports/football (1) Autorecord
Jon & Kate Plus 8 [HD] & first-run (1) 280 TLCHD

(Pressing select on these entry yields ...)
Chicago:
Lions @ Bears [HD] ® Sun 11/12 12:00p 32
Lions @ Bears [HD] Sun 11/12 12:00p 32-1

Notre Dame:
Pittsburg @ Notre Dame [HD] Sat 11/1 1:30 5
Pittsburg @ Notre Dame [HD] Sat 11/1 1:30 5-1
Pittsburg @ Notre Dame [HD] Sat 11/1 1:30 82
Pittsburg @ Notre Dame [HD] Sat 11/1 1:30 382
Pittsburg @ Notre Dame [HD] Sat 11/1 1:30 383
Pittsburg @ Notre Dame [HD] Sat 11/1 1:30 392
Pittsburg @ Notre Dame [HD] Sat 11/1 1:30 393

Wisconsin:
There are no matching programs at this time.

Illinois:
College Football Sat 11/8 11:00a 50
College Football® Sat 11/8 11:00a 50-1

Jon and Kate Plus 8:
Episodes: 6 First Run / 50 Total
"legos & sa [HD]® Mon 11/3 8:00p 280 TLCHD
"Carpeting the Hos....[HD] Today 6:00p 280 TLCHD
...48 other non-recording entries like the above....

Questions:
  • Chicago prioritizer shows (2). There are 2 entries in the selection list. 1 set to record.
  • Jon and Kate prioritizer shows (1). There are 50 entries in the selection list. 1 is set to record.
  • Illinois prioritizer shows (1). There are 2 entries in the list. 1 is set to record.
  • Notre Dame

prioritizer shows (0). There are 2 entries in the list. 0 are set to record.[/INDENT]
What do the (#) numbers mean in the priotizer lines?
Why is Notre Dame not being selected to record?
If there are 6 First Run Jon ANd Kate dates, why is only 1 recording?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...