Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Analyst on ZDNet.com really upset with blank recordings on his hr-20 & 21

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   monetnj

monetnj

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Don't know how many of you read ZDNet, but this was posted on their site today:

"DIRECTV, what about “Make the products work” and “Keep the customers happy” do you not understand?"

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9171

#2 OFFLINE   alv

alv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

He is not the only one. Fortunately mine have been working but my brother's have been behaving like those in the article

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

The experience he details sounds very much like what we live through and a lot of the stories here. I wish he had contacted DirecTV as a member of the press to see if they would comment.

#4 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the new avatar I love it.

His D* experience sounds better than mine, I have 2 years of crappy customer service around the HR20.

Love this first line.

"Well, I was going to write my post-mortem of the iPhone launch and go into an entire diatribe on crappy customer service and the perils of early adoption, but then I found myself with a much better target than AT&T Wireless and Apple — the jackasses at DIRECTV."

#5 OFFLINE   vansmack

vansmack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:20 PM

I wish he had contacted DirecTV as a member of the press to see if they would comment.

Name calling, such as "jackasses" is a clear sign that he is not, in fact, a member of the press, but instead just a blogger.

#6 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

Name calling, such as "jackasses" is a clear sign that he is not, in fact, a member of the press, but instead just a blogger.

Not sure there is much difference anymore, regardless of how he states it, it all rings the bell of truth. Nice to see the bell being rung more in other places rather than the fanboy mantra of everything is fine just wait a month until the next release. I have been waiting for 2 years for the next release.

#7 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

vansmack,

You're probably right although much that I read in the newspapers makes you wonder if that's just the level to which journalism in the United States has fallen.

#8 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:36 PM

If I had two years of what I considered to be unacceptable software I certainly wouldn't be giving that company my business anymore.

#9 OFFLINE   justlgi

justlgi

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

I'm sure I'll get flamed into oblivion for even saying this, but .... the fact is that the in spite of what any D* sympathizer here will say the Tivo software was vastly superior what D* is now developing in-house. It's better than what Comcast was doing and that's why they are rolling out the tivo stuff on their boxes.

I know this has been beat into the ground over and over again, but how many times do people have to start out with "I used to have a tivo, now I have this HR20 piece of crap."

I consider myself an early adapter and am willing to put up with more to get more (HD in this case). But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't willing to put up with a large amount of BS.

Comcast has their problems and I’ve mentioned so in other threads. But these DVRs have not been good for D* (along with crappy installs). They will only remain on top as long as they have the most channels. As soon as the others catch up people will jump ship.

#10 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

I'd say, I'd have to agree with justlgi. I find the HR20 to be superior to the TIVO platform. It wasn't when it cameout, but it is now.

The only thing missing is the MRV and hopefully, we'll have that by Christmas.

I symthazise with the blank recordings, but having 5 HR2x's in the house and not having it happen to me ever, I don't think it's as wide spread as others are lead to believe. Now I have the tuner 2 searching for signal bug on one of my receivers, but DirecTv is replacing that box and we'll see if that fixes it.
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#11 OFFLINE   rmbrown15

rmbrown15

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for the new avatar I love it.

I proudly resized it, uploaded the image to a Web site, and was going to proudly present it for all to behold........You beat me to the punch. :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

Are you guys serious? You care enough to create a custom avatar making some kind of "statement" about how bad your receivers are but you won't take your business elsewhere? :nono2:

#13 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

Are you guys serious? You care enough to create a custom avatar making some kind of "statement" about how bad your receivers are but you won't take your business elsewhere? :nono2:

That's my question... if you guys are so miserable then why are you still a client? I'll be Danged if I would be giving a company $150+ of my money every month if I hated them that much! If your experience is so bad, cut your losses and go elsewhere, it makes no sense whatsoever for you to make yourselves this miserable.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#14 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

It takes 30 seconds to resize a picture and change the avitar.

#15 OFFLINE   Nicholsen

Nicholsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

I have actually been surprised that nobody in the "media " (Cnet, the WSJ, a blogger etc.), has reported on this story before. It's an interesting story and the media loves reporting about problems with a product rollout.

Like the blogger, I am stunned that D* has been this cavalier about the HR2x roll-out problems. I had hoped that they would get their act together over the summer, as more of these boxes were rolled out to the Sunday ticket subscribers.

If the boxes lock up on a Sunday or Monday in the fall, you will begin to hear true weeping and wailing from customers. I will continue to run the Tivo HR10-250 as my primary DVR while I wait for the dust to settle.

#16 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

Methinks you missed the point.

#17 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#18 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

and 10 minutes to end your misery once and for all (but maybe new misery elsewhere)..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#19 OFFLINE   justlgi

justlgi

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

1. Currently D* has the most HD
2. Most people are stuck in a contract and loved D* when the had a tivo.

#20 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

1. Currently D* has the most HD
2. Most people are stuck in a contract and loved D* when the had a tivo.

If you've had an HR2x for two years (as above) you're not in a contract... unless of course you were dumb enough to re-up the contract by getting another crappy HR2x. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...