Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CSR Bashing

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

Churn rate at this company is 1.5% per MONTH. That translates to 18% a year. One in every 5 customers switches to competitors. Question is who are those people. How many of them had minor or major problems but never had a chance/time/patience/phone number to call and get help. Instead of giving them few minutes of help CSRs have to spend hours and hours with customers-who-are-always-right but in a sense customers-abusing-the-system.

There must be a set limit to how much customer is right. If there is no limit bottom line will suffer tremendously. You paying close attention to a select group of active customers while there is a huge number of regular folks fleeing the company and taking their subscriber fees to the competitor.

First off... there are alot of other factors involved in churn. Sure, some portion of the "churners" will leave because they had a bad customer service experience.

Churn numbers are pretty consistent across all the different providers (roughly in that 1.5 - 2.5% range). That, to me, suggests that there is a portion of the population that is going to switch every few years to take advantage of whatever the latest, greatest deal is.

As far as a SET limit to how much the customer is right. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Is there a limit? Yes.... somewhere. I've run my own business for 9 years now, and I've only reached that limit once and asked a customer to leave and not come back. There comes a point when you've done everything you possibly can and you know the customer will never be satisfied. I reached that with this woman. She wasn't seeking satisfaction as much as she just wanted things given to her. There are some who would seek to "abuse the system" (as you pointed out). Those people though are A) the ones likely to jump at a better offer and B) not really looking for "satisfaction". They just want concessions. There should be a set limit on concessions (that's a discussion for another thread, I think). There should NOT be a set limit on how long you treat the customer with respect.

And, finally.... Frankly, I don't think that having the "customer is always right" ATTITUDE (or, perhaps, better stated, the customer is most important attitude) is going to hurt the bottom line as much as it will help it. Will it result in spending more time on a customer? Probably. Will you lose some customers who are aggravated with long wait lines on the phone lines? Possibly, yes. But, IMHO, you'll keep more customers than you lose, which is good for the bottom line.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,382 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:48 AM

“The customer is always right” has caused quite a bit of harm as well, especially when you are dealing with a credit-hound.

Like Richard King and hdtvfan0001 I have never really had a reason to call a CSR other than changing services or adding/removing a receiver.

However, to be fair I did have a CSR double-bill me after I deactivated the primary receiver on my account. I was on directv.com so I caught it immediately and had the CSR correct it and felt no need to post it online.

#23 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

First off... there are alot of other factors involved in churn. Sure, some portion of the "churners" will leave because they had a bad customer service experience.

Churn numbers are pretty consistent across all the different providers (roughly in that 1.5 - 2.5% range). That, to me, suggests that there is a portion of the population that is going to switch every few years to take advantage of whatever the latest, greatest deal is.

As far as a SET limit to how much the customer is right. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Is there a limit? Yes.... somewhere. I've run my own business for 9 years now, and I've only reached that limit once and asked a customer to leave and not come back. There comes a point when you've done everything you possibly can and you know the customer will never be satisfied. I reached that with this woman. She wasn't seeking satisfaction as much as she just wanted things given to her. There are some who would seek to "abuse the system" (as you pointed out). Those people though are A) the ones likely to jump at a better offer and B) not really looking for "satisfaction". They just want concessions. There should be a set limit on concessions (that's a discussion for another thread, I think). There should NOT be a set limit on how long you treat the customer with respect.

And, finally.... Frankly, I don't think that having the "customer is always right" ATTITUDE (or, perhaps, better stated, the customer is most important attitude) is going to hurt the bottom line as much as it will help it. Will it result in spending more time on a customer? Probably. Will you lose some customers who are aggravated with long wait lines on the phone lines? Possibly, yes. But, IMHO, you'll keep more customers than you lose, which is good for the bottom line.

From what I've seen majority of people dont have time to wait for answer from 800-DIRECTV. They come home at 6pm and watch TV from 8 to 10. THey just too tired to wait on hold. They have a minor problem which is aggravating but they can live with it. After contract is up they switch.

Then you have people who have that extra time and who learned a quick way to get to right people on the phone. One lady told me she had HER own case manager. She was abusing the system and case manager was dumb enough to see that.

#24 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

I don't deny that there is room for improvement in the DirecTV customer service system. There are good CSRs and there are not so good CSRs. THere are some systems in place which seem to not work well, and there are other things that seem to work as designed....

However, from what I've seen (granted, entirely different industry, but..)

The customers who say they are unhappy, but who feel that it's too inconvenient to wait and have the problem fixed, are the customers who are going to find something to be unhappy about. They just have to pick nits, regardless of what's going on.

Right now, they're saying "I can't wait 30 minutes on hold to get through to a CSR to fix this".

Change the system, and they'll be saying "I can't wait 10 minutes on hold to get through to a CSR".

Change it further, and it'll be a complaint about the menu structure, or having to talk to a computer to get through to a CSR.

Those particular people are not the ones who are going to benefit from an improved customer service experience, IMHO. The ones who will benefit the most are the ones who spend HOURS on the phone trying to troubleshoot a legitimate issue.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#25 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:27 AM

It goes both ways. If everyone who talked to a CSR was as knowledgeable as the people here, it would probably make the CSR's job a lot easier. Could companies train their employees better? Of course they could. But people could also educate themselves about the equipment/programming/technical side of things.

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,007 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

It goes both ways. If everyone who talked to a CSR was as knowledgeable as the people here, it would probably make the CSR's job a lot easier. Could companies train their employees better? Of course they could. But people could also educate themselves about the equipment/programming/technical side of things.

I blame companies 100% for poor CSR training. Most companies do seem to train poorly or not at all. Other companies do try and train, but do not weed out the people who can't seem to learn. Either way, the company is to blame.

That said... while customer knowledge is helpful, if the CSR doesn't know what he/she is doing then it only adds to the frustration for the customer. Imagine going into surgery and finding out that you were more knowledgable than your surgeon about the operation you were about to undergo... NOT a good feeling!

Also, those same CSRs could "educate themselves" as well... independent of the proper training they are clearly not receiving.

I recently spent over a half hour with a nice guy in the Phillipines regarding a DSL problem I was having the other night. I knew it was not my problem (a system failure) but he only knew how to go down his checklist. Ultimately AT&T fixed the problem while I was on the phoneline independent of anything he was asking me to do... I told him at the end of the call that it would really help him out if AT&T would inform their frontline TSRs of a system problem so they wouldn't have to waste time diagnosing problems that are not theirs to diagnose. I noted to him that suddenly within the last 10 minutes their phones had been slammed (the wait time was 5+ minutes when I called) with customers, so it's not like we all suddenly were running Windows wrong or something... He thanked me for being patient and courteous.. and I told him he had been friendly as well and that in this case I understood it was a lack of communication from the company that resulted in all that time diagnosing a problem that was systemic.

Anyway, the gyst here is I put the blame where it is due.. but in the meantime, it doesn't help anyone just knowing where the blame is.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

I'm not interested in blaming anyone...I'm interested in answers. So far, so good.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

3 months ago I called Dtv to sign up for the three month free HD extra pack. The CSR put me on hold for a minute or two and came back and said I was eligable for 6 months. Great.
Well two days ago it was gone (3 months after activation). I was going to keep it anyway but I really wanted it for Olys so I called Dtv and got a very pleasent CSR. I explained what happened, she put me on hold for a minute or so and came back and told me she reactivated it for another free 3 months.
Even though I told her I was planning on keeping it she went ahead with the free months. Ya can't beat that.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#29 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

Here's an example of a bad CSR (and a bad CSR experience). I came home to find the 771 on Tuner 2 message and it had not rained in our area. I did a bit of searching and found that the software for my HR20 had been updated earlier that day. My other HR20 worked just fine with no problems on Tuner 2. The CSR took me thru about an hour of diagnostic efforts with no resolution. He then suggested a service call (to cost me $69) to find the problem. I said, before the update, that I had no problems at all and suggested perhaps the software update caused the 771 problem. He replied that the software update DID NOT cause the problem; the software update simply uncovered a PRE-EXISTING CONDITION. I informed him that the pre-existing condition was that everything worked just fine. No amount of persuasion on my part could convince him that the software update had introduced a "bug" to my HR20. I asked to speak with a supervisor; he said there's no need...he was a supervisor. Named Darryl.

I hung up and unplugged the HR20, let it sit for 5 minutes, and plugged it back in. Of course it booted back up with no 771 problem on Tuner 2. And I haven't had a problem since. Thanks for the fine support, Darryl.

I would have to say Darryl is a little to blame on this on, he should have told you to unplug the receiver but, then again I am not going to call unless I have already tried a soft and hard reset and still can't get the problem fixed myself.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

spam firewall