Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dvi Hdcp To Hdmi

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   indyblues

indyblues

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

I wondered if anyone can help. I have a Toshiba 51h83 it is a projection TV. On the back of the TV it says DVI HDCP. I was wondering which cable I need so I can hook this up to my Direct TV HD receiver and does anyone recommend anybody to where I should get this from?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

You need an HDMI-to-DVI cable, available at many places online.

Here's one from Monoprice for under $10 ...

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

In case you'd like a confirmation, I have the monoprice.com cable as described by Drew2k, which has been working great on my rear projection monitor for over 2.5 years.

#4 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

I'm using the same monoprice cable on my LCD at home, as well.

Can't beat the price/quality of monoprice!
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#5 OFFLINE   indyblues

indyblues

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

Thanks everyone I ordered one today. I am currently using the component, blue, green and red cables, will there be a lot of difference when I get the HDMI cable?

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

In case you'd like a confirmation, I have the monoprice.com cable as described by Drew2k, which has been working great on my rear projection monitor for over 2.5 years.

Working great here now for several years too....
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:15 AM

Thanks everyone I ordered one today. I am currently using the component, blue, green and red cables, will there be a lot of difference when I get the HDMI cable?

Less chance of interference so potentially better picture.

#8 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

Remember that you'll need an optical cable as well. DVI doesn't give you the audio.

Some people have said the component looks just as good to them as HDMI. I haven't ever checked, so I can't say from personal experience.

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

Remember that you'll need an optical cable as well. DVI doesn't give you the audio.

Depends on the HD receiver you have, but
newer ones have both optical and coax digital out, so either one can work if the OP is even using digital audio out from the HD receiver.

#10 OFFLINE   indyblues

indyblues

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:41 AM

Well I have received my cable and I have no audio. I just read the last two posts on here before I plugged the cable in last night. The picture is really not better so I am disappointed at the moment, and now I try to switch back to the components cable and some for some I reason I still have no sound at all. I am now confused what I really need, I did look in my tv manual and I think I have all the cables connected properly, all it asks for is red and white audio cables which I plugged in but no audio.

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

Well I have received my cable and I have no audio. I just read the last two posts on here before I plugged the cable in last night. The picture is really not better so I am disappointed at the moment, and now I try to switch back to the components cable and some for some I reason I still have no sound at all. I am now confused what I really need, I did look in my tv manual and I think I have all the cables connected properly, all it asks for is red and white audio cables which I plugged in but no audio.

Are you using your TV for audio, or an A/V Receiver? Check that the input you have plugged red/white RCA calbes into on the TV is the same input as the DVI. For example, on my TV I have two sets of component ports with each set having their own audio inputs. For my two HDMI ports only one has Optical audio input, the other has no audio inputs, and neither has RCA audio inputs. In my case the HDMI carries the audio, but if for some reason I was going from DVI to HDMI (ex: PC to TV), I'd have to put the audio in through the HDMI's optical audio input on my TV.

(Also check that your TV speakers are not disabled in your TV menu.)

#12 OFFLINE   indyblues

indyblues

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

I have regular red and white audio cables pluuged from my direct tv receiver plugged into the back of the TV. I checked the audio speakers on my tv settings they were switched to on. So do I really need another an optical cable also. At the back of my it has the HDCP then audio holes below that they are red and white regular audio sockets.

#13 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

As mentioned make sure they're in the corresponding inputs.
I would keep using the DVI cable since you have it anyways.

#14 OFFLINE   indyblues

indyblues

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:38 AM

I now have sound there was a switch set to sound off on the back of the TV maybe hit accidentially knocked it when entering cables. I have not put my DVI cables back in because I am sure I will have no sound, the picture did not make difference from components to HDMI anywhere which was disappointing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...