Jump to content

Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
Guest Message by DevFuse


Connector Cover - Where do you get these?

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tedb3rd



  • Registered
  • 357 posts
Joined: Feb 02, 2006

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:24 PM

I have looked all over the internet for the RG-6 connector covers that come on (at least) the DPP-44 switch. Does anybody know what the 'technical' name of these things are/what you call them? Even better, where can I order some. See the attachment to see what I'm talking about. Thanks to anybody who can provide any information!!! --Ted

Attached Thumbnails

  • endcover.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k


    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 14,514 posts
Joined: Aug 16, 2006

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:39 AM

Try searching for RF connector protector/protective/dust caps or similar ...

Not sure what they're called either, but if you're really desperate to find some and don't mind spending a few extra unnecessary bucks to get them, you can pick up some cheap splitters, and usually each RF connector will have one of these caps on it within the packaging.

#3 OFFLINE   tedb3rd



  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 357 posts
Joined: Feb 02, 2006

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the ideas, but no luck. I can find lots of surge protectors, waterproof 'boots' (that go over the male end of this connection'), but nothing what I'm looking for. I'm going to try to call some local installers to see if they might be able to shed some light.

...still open to ideas if anybody else can point me in a direction!

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE


    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts
Joined: Jun 09, 2006

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

Those caps only help protect the ports/threads during shipping, nothing more.

They do nothing to keep out moisture and do slightly better on dirt/dust.

I throw lots of them away weekly. They come on all DirecTv 6x8 & 4x8 switches.

My cat does like to bat them around from time to time though.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol


    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 7,130 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
Joined: Oct 01, 2003

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

You can try using some electrical tape.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

    Lifetime Achiever

  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,331 posts
Joined: Nov 15, 2005

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:18 PM

If this is to seriously seal a switch, I would put the switch in a weather proof box with cables entering from the bottom.

If that isn't feasible, I would get a number of terminators, cut out the center conductor, and put them on as caps with a good sealant. (And perhaps some electrical tape as well.)

Good luck,

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; 6! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, M, C (Plus 1 in the oven!)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...