Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bay Area Folks: Audio drops on Fox and ABC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   INHUMANITY

INHUMANITY

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

I searched the forums for previous posts, but could not find anything.

I have been experiencing this problem for the past few weeks. I will DVR The Simpsons, Family Guys, American Dad and the audio drops on playback every few seconds. It also happens on commercials, but not as much as the TV shows.

A couple DVR'ed episodes of Hell's Kitchen showed no problems.

I also noticed it on ABC. A couple episodes of Eli Stone had the audio drops and they seemed to be even worse.

Before I send off an e-mail to dishquality, I wanted to see if it is just me or are others experiencing the same problem.

Thanks! :)
Vizio 47" 1080p LCD (GV47LF) - Motorola DCP501 Receiver - DN ViP622 - Philips DVP5960 - Xbox 360 Elite (All Connections via HDMI)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RTCDude

RTCDude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:39 AM

I have been experiencing this problem for the past few weeks. I will DVR The Simpsons, Family Guys, American Dad and the audio drops on playback every few seconds. It also happens on commercials, but not as much as the TV shows.

I also noticed it on ABC. A couple episodes of Eli Stone had the audio drops and they seemed to be even worse.

Before I send off an e-mail to dishquality, I wanted to see if it is just me or are others experiencing the same problem.

Yep! This started occurring with 5.11 on my 722. It only happens with the HD feeds, not the SD versions. It's worse when there is a static video image, such as a seven day forcast during the weather. Also, this doesn't happen on ANY other HD channel, just FOX (2) and ABC (7).

#3 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

This is a little off topic but my brother is going to go E* this fall. I would like to know what dish is working well in the area now. Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug E

Doug E

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

I have a 722 and am also experiencing audio dropouts on ABC (channel 7) on their HD feed. I don't watch FOX (channel 2) except for NFL, so no experience there. I do find that the sound on channel 11 (NBC) is true surround, and their HD picture is dazzling. Also, don't you hate the change in volume levels when changing between the stations? I purchased a "volume regulator"....it proved to be worthless.

#5 OFFLINE   barenjager

barenjager

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

I also have noticed the sound drop outs on ABC. I especially notice it during the ABC National News. I am learing how to be a good lip reader. It is very annoying since it may occurr every couple of seconds. I also noticed it when I received 5.51 on my two 622's. I only watch recorded shows so don't know if it also occurs on live broadcast. It will be very annoying once Lost returns.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

Since I'm not watching much broadcast network TV, I haven't had much of it. But what I did experience I chalked up to the local station having problems. This sounds a bit more than that, though.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   INHUMANITY

INHUMANITY

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

So, this may warrant an e-mail to dishquality.
Vizio 47" 1080p LCD (GV47LF) - Motorola DCP501 Receiver - DN ViP622 - Philips DVP5960 - Xbox 360 Elite (All Connections via HDMI)

#8 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:13 PM

Yep, I have experienced the same issues with the same channels.

#9 OFFLINE   bobl

bobl

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

Me too, both channels!

#10 OFFLINE   vis_vis

vis_vis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

So, this may warrant an e-mail to dishquality.

I began having major audio issues with ViP622 about 5-6 weeks ago (and reported them in the forum in another thread) when 5.11 was installed. I did not have major problems with this receiver after subscribing the HD package (15 months ago) but now it is slowly turning into an unpleasant experience.

After 5.11 (and now 5.12) all HD local channels are unwatchable due to the above mentioned audio issues. KTVU (FOX2), CBS5, ABC7 and NBC11 (in Bay Area) all have drastic audio interruptions, of 1-2 seconds for 2-3 minutes, then it would work for another minute then start again to drop, etc...

Live TV works fine, delayed and recorded have the issues. Standard feed of the same channels does not have the issue, only the HD feed.

A few days ago I setup an antenna and scanned for the OTA channels in the area. All channels that have audio issues with the feed coming from Dish -KTVU (FOX2), CBS5, ABC7 and NBC11, DO NOT have any problem when watched in OTA, I can pause, skip, record, etc.. without audio interruptions.

Needless to say that calls, chat with Dish Tech support were a waste of time. Here is what I got from them last week after I called, sent email and chatted with a tech support lady.

"Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. They are currently working towards a resolution for this issue. Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time. Generally these issues are resolved via software information sent directly to the receiver. Please remember to turn off your receiver when you are not watching TV, so that it can receive the update when it becomes available."

ViP622, LCD TV with HDMI and Antenna out to another TV - sharing the tuner. Both TVs exhibit the same behavior.

Regards,

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

While I'm sure Dish is "working on it" I sent a message to KGO 7 from their web site advising them of the problem so that they put pressure on Dish through their own engineering folks. KGO has always been responsive to my input.

Edit: received the following response about an hour after my message:

Your email has been forwarded to our Engineering Department.
Carol Mc Elroy
KGO-TV/DT ABC7

#12 OFFLINE   INHUMANITY

INHUMANITY

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

As of this past weekend the problem is still there. Both on ABC and FOX.

#13 OFFLINE   Jak Crow

Jak Crow

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

I've got a VIP622 and the audio on ABC/KGO is dropping sporadically. I reported it to Dish and the woman I got in TS tried to say it was my hardware, but clearly it's not. It shouldn't be alien there's an issue with one of the feeds.

#14 OFFLINE   INHUMANITY

INHUMANITY

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

I thought the drops had lessened in the past few weeks, but after watching Eli Stone it's still there.

Fox is still dropping terribly.

No response from Dish Quality or the local ABC affiliate. I haven't e-mailed KTVU.

#15 OFFLINE   RTCDude

RTCDude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

I thought the drops had lessened in the past few weeks, but after watching Eli Stone it's still there.

Fox is still dropping terribly.

No response from Dish Quality or the local ABC affiliate. I haven't e-mailed KTVU.

Please post back any responses you get. Channel 7 and 2 are now at times unwatchable with this audio staccato.

#16 OFFLINE   SteveinDanville

SteveinDanville

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

I am seeing the same thing as of Monday, 8/18 on KGO (don't really watch Fox). It is unbelievable, and it's been going on at least a month now? Unwatchable. I now have to watch KPIX-5 for news...at least they finally went Hi-Def. What's up, Dish?

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

Go to this web page, fill out the form (select "other" from the pulldown menu). Describe the problem with the Dish Network feed. I have always gotten a response that the message is being passed on to engineering and usually get a followup from engineering saying they are contacting Dish to work out a solution to the problem. KGO is interested in getting their channel viewed, and the upcoming fall season is important. The more people they receive "expressions of concern" from, the more likely they are to work it out with Dish.

#18 OFFLINE   Doug E

Doug E

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:23 PM

Thanks phrelin.....I just wrote them. Sure hope they correct it SOON.

#19 OFFLINE   SteveinDanville

SteveinDanville

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

I just wrote them also.

#20 OFFLINE   Doug E

Doug E

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

An engineer responded promptly to my email. He advises that the problem is with the DISH and not the station. How do we complain to DISH??

spam firewall