Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Overpopulated SWM symptoms

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

I recall reading in another thread that the internal diplexer didn't work very well with VHF-low OTA signals. Perhaps that loss could affect the internet connection.

I saw the same posts but the OP came back and said it turned out to be (I think) an antenna issue, the diplexer was fine with VHF-lo..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

I saw the same posts but the OP came back and said it turned out to be (I think) an antenna issue, the diplexer was fine with VHF-lo..

"Many" have said/posted that the SWM diplexer is "a bit lossy" compared to other diplexers.
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

"Many" have said/posted that the SWM diplexer is "a bit lossy" compared to other diplexers.

Yes, but I think many people are not taking into account that the OTA signal is already split once in the SWM so the signal on each SWM output is already 3db down before it leaves the SWM. If you have multiple OTA tuners and drive half your tuners from one SWM output and half from the other I think you will see the same results as diplexing OTA in after the SWM onto a single split line. At least it looks that way to me (on a sample of one!)

#24 OFFLINE   Bkegg

Bkegg

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:32 AM

When a SWM capable receiver is connected to the SWM and powered on, the SWM assigns one/two of it's available channels to that tuner (or tuners if the receiver is a dvr) If a receiver is connected that would supass the capability of the SWM, the SWM simply doesn't assign an output channel to that tuner. So, only the first 8 tuners connected and powered on would work. There would not be an intermittent issue.

To me, this sounds more like either a potential grounding issue or possibly a power inserter going haywire. Just my $.02

I asked this question on my last post then read another and got the answer. Thank you for that input.

I just got into the MDU a month or so ago. I have one complex in the Houston area. 15 customers one service call that was of no fault of the system itself. The system along with the flexability of the SWM8 makes this maybe the most awesome thing I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...