Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Direct TV and NBC Olympics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dstorm

dstorm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

So we're basically 2 weeks out from Olympic Coverage starting and I still have yet to see any news on this from Direct TV, other than the VOD service available only to those with the latest and greatest VOD DVR through in-demand.

Will there be an Olympics Mix Channel?

Will those of us without HD or the latest DVR be able to see the Olympic Soccer Channel and Basketball Channel?

For those with HD, what will the offerings be and will it include any coverage not available for those watching SD with older DVRs?

I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of news in regards to this, especially considering the schedules are set, NBC has made all their announcements. etc.

Any insider news or at least time-frame when we can expect to hear anything? The Soccer group play kicks off 2 weeks from today.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

I bet NBC does not let DirecTV do anything
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#3 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

They have a new DOD channel just for NBC Olympics... 1008
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#4 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

My Verizon Fios service is showing two HD channels
in my program guide for Olympic Soccer and Basketball.

Fios is in the middle of its big HD rollout. My area has not yet received the new HD channels, but USA HD and CNBC HD were also added to my program guide with the two soccer and basketball HD channels.

So I am also surprised that D* is not doing anything. I suspect that both D* and E* will add the two olympic channels.

#5 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Be patient, you may yet be surprised..........

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#6 OFFLINE   Darkscream

Darkscream

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

In a wild guess - I would assume you will see big news on this subject when D11 goes live ( July 30 is my guess ) and then a press release with the expanded interactive coverage like we had for the Winter Olympics ( Mix channels et al).

So we're basically 2 weeks out from Olympic Coverage starting and I still have yet to see any news on this from Direct TV, other than the VOD service available only to those with the latest and greatest VOD DVR through in-demand.

Will there be an Olympics Mix Channel?

Will those of us without HD or the latest DVR be able to see the Olympic Soccer Channel and Basketball Channel?

For those with HD, what will the offerings be and will it include any coverage not available for those watching SD with older DVRs?

I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of news in regards to this, especially considering the schedules are set, NBC has made all their announcements. etc.

Any insider news or at least time-frame when we can expect to hear anything? The Soccer group play kicks off 2 weeks from today.

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

If you can get NBC OTA, you should be getting the subchannel that is playing live and tape delayed events all day. I watched water polo and mountain biking the other day.

For those of us in Los Angeles DMA, you can get this channel OTA on 4-4.

#8 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

My Verizon Fios service is showing two HD channels
in my program guide for Olympic Soccer and Basketball.

Fios is in the middle of its big HD rollout. My area has not yet received the new HD channels, but USA HD and CNBC HD were also added to my program guide with the two soccer and basketball HD channels.

So I am also surprised that D* is not doing anything. I suspect that both D* and E* will add the two olympic channels.

Dish has already announced the Basketball HD channel on 98/395 and Soccer HD on 99/396.
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#9 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

the local cable co in my area has a "ZONE" (mix channel) channel for the Olympics and i think there adding a few dedicated OLYMPIC HD channels.

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#10 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

The Euro HDTV broadcasters certainly are ready. Just watching Biz China on CCTV9 and the unloading of 58 trailer-truck mobile remote control centers for HDTV telecasts for the Olympics was one of the features on this afternoon's program.

They're driving up to Beijing, tomorrow.

#11 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

If you can get NBC OTA, you should be getting the subchannel that is playing live and tape delayed events all day. I watched water polo and mountain biking the other day.

For those of us in Los Angeles DMA, you can get this channel OTA on 4-4.

That's Universal Sports (formerly WCSN -- see http://www.wcsn.com/); and is only available in a handful of markets as of yet.

KNBC is streaming it on the net during "off hours" on their News Raw subchannel (KNBC-DT4) -- http://www.knbc.com/newsraw/index.html
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#12 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

It has been announced that they will be on channels 750-756. I saw the ad on GSN.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...