Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any way to *not* see live TV when powering up?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Patent geek

Patent geek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

One Tivo feature that I miss on the 722 is that with Tivo, if you hit the Tivo button prior to turning on your TV, you'd see the menu rather than what was on live TV at the time. I found this to be incredibly useful when I was recording sporting events for delayed viewing while they were still on, and didn't want any spoilers as to the current score.

On the 722, though, when you hit the DVR button, whatever's on the current channel continues showing in the PIP box. More often than not, it's whatever is recording at the time, which is exactly what I want to avoid.

Is it possible to disable the PIP display from showing in the DVR menu? I've poked around but haven't figured out a solution.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

You have two issues there:
1) Turning on the TV and seeing live
2) Viewing DVR menu and seeing live in PIP

The solution to both is to tune to another channel before turning on the TV.
If you're recording on both channels, and don't wish to see either of them, then you're out of luck. Unless you have an antenna hooked up, in which case you could tune to that. Unless you're recording that too...

Long answer to say 'no' you can't turn off the PIP.
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,274 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

Turn your tv OFF before you power on your tivo. :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:40 PM

If I don't want what is "on" (a previous recording, Live, some delayed Live) to continue in the window, I hit Pause before the DVR button. No guarantee that Select (or power on) to 722, Pause, then power on the TV won't have a score on the screen, but it will kill audio of the announcer spoiling that (or the other) game.

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

If I don't want what is "on" (a previous recording, Live, some delayed Live) to continue in the window, I hit Pause before the DVR button. No guarantee that Select (or power on) to 722, Pause, then power on the TV won't have a score on the screen, but it will kill audio of the announcer spoiling that (or the other) game.

I usually just press Mute and don't look at the PiP.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

I usually just press Mute and don't look at the PiP.

+1

#7 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

I thought there was a guide that had no PIP? Found it. http://www.dbstalk.c...iP622Review.pdf
Page 7 says 3 hours of guide data for 9 channels without video preview window.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#8 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:40 AM

I thought there was a guide that had no PIP? Found it. http://www.dbstalk.c...iP622Review.pdf

Good answer - wrong question. He's talking about the "Tivo" (DVR) Button. :grin:

There is no way to eliminate the picture when you hit the Tivo (DVR) Button.

#9 OFFLINE   Patent geek

Patent geek

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

Excellent catch. Here it is (pp. 94-95, chapter 11 of the 722 user's guide):
http://www.dishnetwo...2/Chapter11.pdf

Menu 8-2, extended guide, no video.

Not a perfect solution (which would be a similar option on the DVR main menu), but adequate.

#10 OFFLINE   Patent geek

Patent geek

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

Good answer - wrong question. He's talking about the "Tivo" (DVR) Button. :grin:

True, but at least tweaking the EPG this way gives me a safe screen to look at on power up without fiddling with mute, averting my eyes, etc.

I wonder if this box is hackable.

#11 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

True, but at least tweaking the EPG this way gives me a safe screen to look at on power up without fiddling with mute, averting my eyes, etc.

I wonder if this box is hackable.

We do not allow Hack Talk here. Please do not digress the discussion into that direction.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

One Tivo feature that I miss on the 722 is that with Tivo, if you hit the Tivo button prior to turning on your TV, you'd see the menu rather than what was on live TV at the time. I found this to be incredibly useful when I was recording sporting events for delayed viewing while they were still on, and didn't want any spoilers as to the current score.

Avert the eyes is the solution I use ... the only other thing I can think of is pressing select (to turn on the box) then the REWIND button four times and waiting a couple of minutes before turning on the TV.

I was thinking of a different problem when I first saw the thread (seeing a movie channel or whatever you were watching last when you next turn on the receiver). I record The Daily Show and Colbert Report on TV2 in the early morning and it ticks my wife off to find TV2 pointed to Comedy Central when she turns on the set ... so now I have an auto tune at 2am to change to the weather channel. :)

For live events recording in progress that isn't an option.

#13 OFFLINE   Legolas

Legolas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

You could configure your Harmony remote to turn DVR on, go to guide (or whatever) and then turn-on the TV.

Problem Solved. :)

#14 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

The solution to both is to tune to another channel before turning on the TV.

This is what I do. Works very well.

But ... any of y'all notice this? My 722 does this as well as the 522 SD DVR I had prior: You're recording a sports event. You power up the TV with the DVR set to another channel to avoid looking at the score. ;) You find the sports event in the DVR list, and then choose Start (view from beg). Both boxes, the 522 and 722 do this: for an instant, less than one second, it will show the sports program live, *then* start it from the beginning. So I am now conditioned to avert my gaze for that instant after choosing start to when the recording actually starts playing back from the beg! :D

#15 OFFLINE   poyzin

poyzin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:43 AM

Avert the eyes is the solution I use ... the only other thing I can think of is pressing select (to turn on the box) then the REWIND button four times and waiting a couple of minutes before turning on the TV.

I was thinking of a different problem when I first saw the thread (seeing a movie channel or whatever you were watching last when you next turn on the receiver). I record The Daily Show and Colbert Report on TV2 in the early morning and it ticks my wife off to find TV2 pointed to Comedy Central when she turns on the set ... so now I have an auto tune at 2am to change to the weather channel. :)

For live events recording in progress that isn't an option.

Are you sure you're worried about Comedy Central and not something in the range just below 500? :D

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

Are you sure you're worried about Comedy Central and not something in the range just below 500? :D

Locked and hidden twice. My EPG goes from 478 to 500. (I have all of the shopping channels locked and hidden as well.)

#17 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

Avert the eyes is the solution I use ...

Ditto; if I'm coming in on a sporting event I don't want to see the end, I just mute the sound before turning on, and cover half the screen with my hand over my eyes until I can get to the recorded programs, and "start over" on the program. Looks goofy probably, holding out my hand to cover my vision, but hey, it works. :D

Edit; forgot, if I can't get it muted in time, I just mutter "la la la la la la la" really loud until I get the sound off, haha.

Edited by ZBoomer, 24 March 2009 - 10:23 AM.

Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#18 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

Edit; forgot, if I can't get it muted in time, I just mutter "la la la la la la la" really loud until I get the sound off, haha.

Wouldn't it be easier to just hit the Pause button first?

#19 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

Sometimes, just depends on the situation. I do whatever it takes to keep from seeing or hearing live TV when a sporting even is on, and I'm delayed.

I'm talking about if I walk into the room and the event is already on, volume going. There is a few seconds it takes to find the remote, mute/pause, whatever.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

I use all the various techniques suggested here. But it's almost impossible not to get some glimpse of something recording after you delete a recording you just watched.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...