Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk First Look: Slimline3 ODU

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

Back at the end of March, Earl opened a thread about the Slimline 3 aka SL3 after it showed up in the CE releases. See thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=124403

Well, now more information is available about the Slimline 3.

So, I’m presenting you all with a Sneak Peak/Preview of the Slimline 3.

First I’ll go over known items then I’ll go into some personal speculation.

SL3 LNB. “Sees” 3 orbital locations 99/101/103. Does not and will not see 110/119 locations.

Four outputs on the LNB. Just like today’s Phase III, AT9 & AU9 ODUs.

Fully compatible with the WB68, WB616 & SWM5/8 switches. Also compatible with current receivers. Note: You will need a H20, HR20 or R22 or newer receiver to get any programming from the 99/103 locations. A future D series receiver may or may not be released that will see 99/103.

Installation is nearly identical to that of the AT9/AU9 with the exception that the tilt is preset on the ground based on zip code. There is no “need” to adjust the tilt after installation. That is of course predicated on the mast being plumb.

Update 7/24
Beginning on 7/31, HSPs in 72.5 and SD Local markets will start seeing Work Order Activities with the SL3

The SL3 began shipping this week to the affected HSP offices.

Now for my speculation/educated guesses.

This dish is set to be the standard installation dish for both SD & HD installs in markets where locals are beamed from the 99/101/103 locations. In those markets where locals come from 110/119, you will still get the AU9.
This should simplify and reduce the number of dishes that should have to be stocked and carried daily by techs. DirecTv will go from four ODUs being installed: 18”, Phase III, World Direct, & Ka/Ku ODUs down to just two: SL3 & AU9. I’m assuming that at some point international programming will be moved either to 99/103 or to 110/119 or both. My bet will be 99/103. You can put a good number of SD channels on a few Ka transponders. DirecTv 12 maybe?

While I don’t have exact measurements of the ODU itself, from the material I do have, it appears to be identical in size and shape of the current Slimline. So for those of you (me included) hoping for a smaller lighter ODU, sorry.

The LNB is pretty simple as well. Take the AT9 LNB, remove the 110/119 sidecar jumpers and there you go. The illustration looks very similar. At this point, don’t assume that you can re-run the sat setup and select the Slimline 3 from the setup and expect things to work ok. It is unknown at this point as to what changes, if any, have been made to the control signals.

I do also believe there will be a SWM version of the LNB as well.

I do not have a time frame for availability or cost.

The pictures were photoshopped to add the DBSTalk.com Text. Other than that, they are as they appear in the training materials.

Enjoy & discuss.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

So will it still use 2" mast and require monopoles ? I think that is the main concern from techs.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

So will it still use 2" mast and require monopoles ? I think that is the main concern from techs.

From what I can tell, yes. :(

The only difference that I've been able to discern so far is that it's just a different LNB. Everything else is the same.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

The dish, base, and mast are identical to the other Slimline units, as far as I know.

(And anyone with a sidecar, please don't unplug your sidecar. It will not work the same as the Slimline 3.)

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

Before anyone brings it up...yes...it also includes HR21 series HD DVR support...

Great Job Robert!
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

Meh, That really is a bummer. Many of us hoped that once this dish came out it would use the same OD as the phase 3 / 18" so upgrades would be dish off dish on. Oh well as long as HD jobs get extra pay it makes not that much difference.
So where's he pics at ?

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

Well done Robert! I'm pleased to change the title of this thread and include it with other first looks!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

Robert,

Thanks again for all the information. As always it's a big help
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#9 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Formerly AirRocker

• Moderators
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

Nice job Robert! Thanks for the info.!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

Robert,

Thanks again for all the information. As always it's a big help

Nice job Robert! Thanks for the info.!

These two beat me to it but still good job. Keep us updated.

#11 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

Nice job Robert and thanks for the info!!!

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Robert, thanks for the update.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

This really looks rather quickly done. With the viewing angle so vastly reduced I don't see why they don't work on a smaller reflector.

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

This really looks rather quickly done. With the viewing angle so vastly reduced I don't see why they don't work on a smaller reflector.

Somewhat surprised myself that it's doesn't appear smaller.

While I'm no engineer, I imagine the kept it the same size for a couple of reasons. One they need as much space as OTARD will allow to get the most gain from the Ka beam. Then they already have the design & manufacturing process in place for everything other than the LNB. Some minor tweaks to the AT9 LNB and presto, a cheaper dish.

#15 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

(And anyone with a sidecar, please don't unplug your sidecar. It will not work the same as the Slimline 3.)

Cheers,
Tom

Can you provide any info on why you say this now that the slimline is released? My assumption is it has to do with the guide data and the simplest solution I see for the Slimline 3 is to just put 101 on both the no tone and tone sides of things.

#16 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

So is this going to be as simple as an LNB swap out if we already have a peaked AU9 dish?

#17 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:05 PM

So is this going to be as simple as an LNB swap out if we already have a peaked AU9 dish?

I would assume so, but I don't see any reason why one would want to do so. You won't gain anything.

#18 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

I doubt any swaps will be done as all existing Ka/Ku dishes are already getting 99 / 101 / 103.

This is just a new product for markets with SD locals on 101 that have no need for 110/119.

#19 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

I doubt any swaps will be done as all existing Ka/Ku dishes are already getting 99 / 101 / 103.

This is just a new product for markets with SD locals on 101 that have no need for 110/119.

They get our local CW in HD on D11, I have no more use for 110 or 119.

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

Can you provide any info on why you say this now that the slimline is released? My assumption is it has to do with the guide data and the simplest solution I see for the Slimline 3 is to just put 101 on both the no tone and tone sides of things.

You choose wisely... ;)

spam firewall