Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issue Thread

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

Does Directv actually look at this page? Any proof?
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

Does Directv actually look at this page? Any proof?

The truth is.....they could care less about OTA

I still don't understand why they do not build a unit that SCAN's.....it would be so easy to do

#343 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

I still don't understand why they do not build a unit that SCAN's.....it would be so easy to do

Yep I think you are correct. The AM21 is not bad WHEN it works properly. But yeah it would be nice if it would simply scan! That (it seems) would solve a lot of AM21 issues! :)

#344 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

The H20 scans, but none of the HR's.

If the new TiVo is a really a reality, I hope its included in it like SA TiVo's.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#345 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Call Sign: WATL
Channel: 36-2
Issue: Channel missing from guide.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#346 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Call Sign: WSMH
Channel: 66.3

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#347 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Call Sign: WXYZ
Channel: 7.3
Issue: It still shows up. Channel was discontinued by station.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#348 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Call Sign: WXIA
Channel: 11.2
Issue: Channel technically does not exist anymore. It is still live but is now just a place card telling viewers to turn to WATL 36.2 for weather.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#349 OFFLINE   sbelmont

sbelmont

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

This needs to be fixed. The software in the boxes has the channel still as 58.2 but the guide has the data as 29.2. All the recordings are fouled up.

This is getting worse. The guide is now showing the information for THIS under 58.2. The Series Manager has all the shows set to record under 29.2 and the antena setup has 58.2. Total mismatch of information.

Tribune has he guide information mixed up. The station has contacted them but to no avail so far.

#350 OFFLINE   sbelmont

sbelmont

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

My thoughts exactly.

#351 OFFLINE   sore_bluto

sore_bluto

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

Call Sign: WGNO
Channel: 26-2

This subchannel (Antenna TV) has been listed with TMS for weeks and still has not made it into the database.
HR20-700 + OTA, HR20-700, HR24-200, R15-300, 5LNB Ka/Ku AU9-S

#352 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Yep apparently so what is the point in posting in this thread. Why offer the AM21 if they don't support it? I have yet to find anyone at Directv that really knows "anything" about the am21, beyond "have you tried resetting it?".

#353 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:05 AM

I;m starting to wonder if there was like one person, or one competent person, who used to manage the OTAs at DirecTV and they retired or something.......

#354 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

I;m starting to wonder if there was like one person, or one competent person, who used to manage the OTAs at DirecTV and they retired or something.......

The latest reply I have from DirecTV hasn't given me a lot of hope, "We are still waiting to hear back from the department assigned to this issue. We will contact you again as soon as we hear from them."

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#355 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

The latest reply I have from DirecTV hasn't given me a lot of hope, "We are still waiting to hear back from the department assigned to this issue. We will contact you again as soon as we hear from them."

That is almost a verbatim quote of the response I got from them. The appropriate department is the description I received. Maybe the support for the AM21 is outsourced.

#356 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

With Dish they also have guide issues at times as well from what I have read... BUT that does not mean you cannot tune the channel as they provide scan and manual tune functionality. I think that a better setup. For me, the lack of being able to manually tune a channel is what is most annoying. Missing guide info issues are another problem of their own.

3-4 year ago, before HD LILs were as available, perhaps it made more sense for DirecTV to control the OTA guide database and channel availability, because they probably viewed as a bit more core to their overall HD package. As such, I sense they were doing a better job of managing it then. But times have changed. Yet there is still a lot of value to some/many in being able to connect and view OTA locals through your receiver/DVR. Nowadays it is more for backup against storm rain fade (not a big issue), and also for being able to view the subchannels that are now more common. Also, it is one less cable split (~3dB loss) required if there is no need to also hook up to the TV directly.

All that said, given (from all the user reports) that it appears DirecTV no longer has the level of commitment as they once did on configuring the guide (and thus tuners) for new channels and sub channels to I think the time has come for DirecTV to seriously consider a firmware update that would (again) allow for OTA scanning and even manual true RF channel input for manual setup. (I say "again", as my HR20 users manual actually discusses OTA scanning). My proposal would be that if the guide data is not supported/available through DirecTV, that the guide would show the line for that channel in a different color, or maybe actually pickup on the guide data contained in ATSC data stream, or show a remark to the effect: DirecTV provided guide data unavailable for this channel.

Just throw us a bone and less us tune and scan independent of the guide. Pretty please?

Edited by tkrandall, 09 February 2011 - 11:28 AM.
added a bunch of stuff......

#357 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Can any MOD here confirm that once Tribune Media Services has updated their local markets database, that Directv MUST also update their local markets database before you can receive those channels via the AM21?

#358 OFFLINE   sbelmont

sbelmont

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

OK, now this has gotten worse. Tribune has not fixed the guide data, which is driving the station crazy trying to find out why. It is not just affecting D* but cable also.

Issue: Tribune has the guide data for the SD signal for KBFX- FOX which should be 58.2 as 29.2. D* remapped the OTA boxes to match the Tribune information. The problem is that 29.2 is the THIS network and that is what you see when you tune to that channel.

The fix, keeping 29.2 mapped, Tribune fixing the guide data so that we now get the THIS channel and D* mapping 58.1, which is the HD version of FOX in Bakersfield. The guide data is correct for 58.1 and that is the station people want to watch.

Come on D*. help fix this mess. If you would contact the engineer and/or programming department you could help get this corrected.

If you look at Zap2it, 29.2 is listed twice. What a mess.

#359 OFFLINE   rahchgo

rahchgo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

DMA: Chicago
Channel: 26-5
Callsign: WCIU
Receivers Impacted: AM21, HR20, H20
Issue: WCIU 26-5 (RF 27) not showing up in guide

Tribune Media is already updated for WCIU and the subchannels. WCIU 26-1, 26-2, 26-3, 26-4 are all showing up in the guide
26-5 says "channel not available" and you cannot even manually tune it. The AM-21 box won't let you. D*'s channel mappings are out of sync with Tribune Media.

DMA: Chicago
Channel: 24-1
Callsign: WPVN
Receivers Impacted: AM21, HR20, H20
Issue: WPVN 24-1 (RF 20) not showing up in guide. Please add. Tribune Media is already updated for WPVN and the subchannels.

+1
Rich - Chicago, IL (Tri-Taylor neighborhood) HR44-500

#360 OFFLINE   sore_bluto

sore_bluto

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

Can any MOD here confirm that once Tribune Media Services has updated their local markets database, that Directv MUST also update their local markets database before you can receive those channels via the AM21?

I had issues with 2 channels missing from the TMS database. One channel was posted weeks ago and still hasn't appeared via DIRECTV and the other was posted days ago and it appeared in the guide within HOURS of appearing in the TMS database. Clearly, while DIRECTV relies on the TMS database, there is some step (review by a human being?) that has to occur on the DIRECTV side before the process is complete.
HR20-700 + OTA, HR20-700, HR24-200, R15-300, 5LNB Ka/Ku AU9-S

Protected By... spam firewall...And...