Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issue Thread

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

DMA -Raleigh NC

Missing
Ch 22.2 Country
Ch 30.3 TFT Family

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   healthycityboy

healthycityboy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

DMA - Los Angeles

Missing Channels from DirecTV OTA database:

5.3 - This TV. We used to be able to get it when it was on 5.2, but it was moved to 5.3 on 1-1-11.
8.1 - RTV. KFLA moved their transponder to make the signal stronger and more available to Los Angeles viewers. I can pick it up with my OTA antnenna, but not with my HR20.
8.3 - TUFF TV

I hope someone at DirecTV reads this thread and can help!

Edited by healthycityboy, 08 May 2011 - 10:22 AM.
Added KFLA digital sub channels 8.2, 8.3, 8.8

#403 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Call Sign: WATL
Channel: 36-2
Issue: Channel missing from guide.

May 10th, and it is still missing despite having been live since late 2010.

Please, just let us scan.

#404 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

WSMH 66.2 (The Cool TV) Flint, MI

Guide data is off by an hour, i.e. 80s at 8 [PM] comes on at 9.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#405 OFFLINE   computersecguy

computersecguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

I am wondering if the rumors that have been showing up in some of the other threads might actually be correct. The rumor is that D* is running out of space to carry local guide information with the increasing number of digital over the air channels, and namely the subchannels.

I have been working with the Customer Advocacy Team (Customer Service's VP Office) for a month now to get our local 9.1 CBS channel added to the guide information, which has been broadcasting for the better part of nine months now. After a month, I was finally able to speak to an engineer who verified that it is in fact a station that I should be receiving and said that they would have the guide information and the channel grid updated to reflect the new channel within a couple of days.

After another week, it seems that I am back to square one in trying to convince D* that it is a digital channel, that I am using a digital antenna, that I cannot scan for channels, etc etc. In otherwords, I am back in the same loop that I was a month ago.

So with this and the silence of those in the know in this forum on the inner workings of D*, does this mean that "Houston we have a problem?":(

#406 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

Makes you wonder....

Next time, if you get that far, try to get the name and maybe email or phone of the engineer/tech. Not to post here, but to have for your own use.

#407 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Rochester, MN DMA
KXLT
Missing 47-2 MeTV

#408 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

HR20-700
8.2 WJW "Antenna TV"
Cleveland, Ohio

Won't tune to 8.2, channel missing from guide.

On my trusty Hr10-250, the channel appears in guide, but no guide data.

#409 OFFLINE   quadgirl

quadgirl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

I just re-hooked up my trusty 10-250 and it gets our local 25-4. I re-initiated the HR-20-700 and still no channel 25-4. This makes no sense unless Directv is truly out of bandwidth or whatever it is called. They know about these issues, but we still don't get the channels. This might prompt me to finally just be done with Directv and go back to Tivo with antenna and maybe use the cable card if I need other channels. I would simply like someone at Directv to just say what is happening, give a possible date when they can add the channels to the guide or something rather than be condescended to as they tell me I have to contact my rooftop ChannelMaster antenna installer which has less than zero to do with this. Sorry to vent, but this just seems so ridiculous. Happy weekend to all!

#410 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

I just re-hooked up my trusty 10-250 and it gets our local 25-4. I re-initiated the HR-20-700 and still no channel 25-4.

I noticed the same thing. My old 10-250 would pickup any channels that are strong enough, granted there may not have been any guide data, but at least you could see the channels.

The newer HR-20 uses the guide data to determine which channels it can receive. I wish DirecTV would all the unit to just receive the channels and sub-channels with need for the guide data.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#411 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

jal, make your secondary zip code 27401.

It`s Greensboro, NC, but it has a channel 8.2 which is Antenna TV. Just uncheck all the other Greensboro stations.
Your AM21 will think it`s receiving Greensboro 8.2 even though it will really be Cleveland WJW 8.2.
The shows, times, etc. match up.
I live in Kent and it`s what I did.
I removed Youngstown as my secondary zip (for now, till football)
Sure would be nice if Direct TV got their sh*t together on this stuff.
Cleveland WOIO is adding 2 more subchannels soon, and I can pick up a low power station from Canton-Massillon that switched to digital (out of your range in Cleveland)
Plus there is another low power station (WAOH 29 Retro TV) that is switching to digital soon and you will be able to pick that up in Cleveland.

#412 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Albany, GA (DMA #147 - 39842):
WSWG-DT3 (CW) (44-3): WSWG-DT3 is carried by DirecTV in the locals package (channel #17), but no OTA data exists for that channel.

Tallahassee, FL (DMA #105 - 31601):
WTWC-DT3 (40-3): WTWC-DT3 has guide information on my TiVo Series 3, but not on my HR20-700 or HR23-700/AM21.
WTLH-DT3 (49-3): This is a ME-TV affiliate.

Edited by Alan Gordon, 31 May 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#413 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

I just reran the initial setup hoping 58-1 KBFX would now, at long last, be correctly pulled by the D* software. NO SUCH LUCK. To make matters worse 23-1 KERODT has now disappeared from the channel lineup. The AM21 does not function as advertised in this market.

Just ran initial setup again for the AM21. KBFX 58.1 (Bakersfield, CA DMA 125) still missing. They went live with the HD signal in Sept. 2010. No help from the Help Desk.

#414 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

Please - can SOMEONE actually at DirecTV that also frequents this forum get a real definitive answer as to why DirecTV is no longer reliably adding OTA channels to the guide?

#415 OFFLINE   computersecguy

computersecguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

I am thinking that the capacity issue is in fact the issue. One month ago, while talking with Engineering, they noted that I should be receiving the channel that I had requested. They were working with the broadcasting group and the information should be added in a couple of days. It took a month to get that far. I call weekly to the number that connects to a particular individual, and I get the same status, that they are working on it and have no other updates. As others have said, the silence from those who should be in the know is deafening.

#416 OFFLINE   Vinny*

Vinny*

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

Missing OTA Channels via AM21 Richmond VA

8.2 WRICDT2
35.3 WRLHDT3

These channels are in the Zap2it guide and on TV when scanned.

#417 OFFLINE   computersecguy

computersecguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

Please - can SOMEONE actually at DirecTV that also frequents this forum get a real definitive answer as to why DirecTV is no longer reliably adding OTA channels to the guide?

I think I just got the closest thing to an answer that we will get. The customer advocacy team just called and after two and a half months, wanted to let me know but they are sorry. The ticket is still in engineering, but there is no estimated time to fix. While I can still call and continue to ask for updates, the impression I got was, we can't fix it, we can't add your station, sorry. The recommendation from them, visit the stations website to view know what and when things are on tv. Since they can't help me, maybe Shauna in the Customer Advocacy team or Travis in Engineering can help.

Kinda sucks, I could have gone with Dish and at least received my only local CBS station.

Sorry D* the OTA as a viable means to receive local stations that are not available via sat is a big fail.

#418 OFFLINE   BakeBarry

BakeBarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Just ran initial setup again for the AM21. KBFX 58.1 (Bakersfield, CA DMA 125) still missing. They went live with the HD signal in Sept. 2010. No help from the Help Desk.

I noticed on my HR20-700 that my 29.1 CBS recordings of Craig Ferguson & Letterman this week recorded black screen / keep:delete stuff showing that it was recorded on 58.1.

58.1 still isnt in the antenna setup, so I guess this is a mapping issue from CBS 29.1 since they also own 58.2 (.1) Fox.

#419 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

This could be fixed by allowing the DVR and AM21 to scan channels and download the actual program data from the station. My old Samsung HD D* receiver could do this.

#420 OFFLINE   sbelmont

sbelmont

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

I noticed on my HR20-700 that my 29.1 CBS recordings of Craig Ferguson & Letterman this week recorded black screen / keep:delete stuff showing that it was recorded on 58.1.

58.1 still isnt in the antenna setup, so I guess this is a mapping issue from CBS 29.1 since they also own 58.2 (.1) Fox.

It is messed up on my Tivo and HR20 boxes also. My Tivo lists 58-1 twice. One as the correct Fox feed and one incorrectly as CBS. I checked zap2it and they also have it wrong. That means that Tribune did something in their listings. I've contacted the person at the station that handles this. Hopefully they can get it cleared up tomorrow. It's a bummer that it happened over a long weekend.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...