Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issue Thread

• Please log in to reply
616 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

Here is a fresh OTA Listing, using data of 9/8/11.

Please provide your feedback - it is a tremendous help in making the data useful and ensuring its validity.

EDIT: 9/21/11
Please note that the OTA data is now included in the TPN MAP Excel provided in the TPN MAP thread.

Edited by gct, 21 September 2011 - 06:00 PM.
removed standalone OTA data

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

Beavs,

i am sorry about the errors. We had moved to new binary interpreter software - and as often happens, it had some bad hiccup problems.

I replaced last week's TPN MAP with one that was created with an earlier software version. And the present, 9/8 TPN MAP has been created with an earlier software version too. The problems in that new software were also reflected in the OTA data.

NOW: doctor j just this morning (9/9) has re-run the binary data using yet more updated (and hopefully corrected) software. I hope later today or tomorrow to have a whole new run, in a little different format, ready to post.

And truly - thanks very much for your help!
gct

No need to apologize. You guys do a tremendous job!

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#443 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

KUBEDT5 57.5 is now airing in the Houston, TX market, but, of course, is nowhere to be found via the AM21.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#444 OFFLINE   knoxbh

knoxbh

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

We recently had an OTA antenna installed. Live in Winter Haven, Fl which is about 50 miles from Tampa and 40 miles from Orlando. The antenna picks up all of the stations in both cities (when connected directly to the TV) but only Tampa when connected to our HR20. I know that Tampa is our DirectV DMA but we actually live closer to Orlando as far as news and weather are concerned. Does Directv block our reception thru the HR20 for Orlando?
Finally made 86 - looking forward to 87!!

#445 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

We recently had an OTA antenna installed. Live in Winter Haven, Fl which is about 50 miles from Tampa and 40 miles from Orlando. The antenna picks up all of the stations in both cities (when connected directly to the TV) but only Tampa when connected to our HR20. I know that Tampa is our DirectV DMA but we actually live closer to Orlando as far as news and weather are concerned. Does Directv block our reception thru the HR20 for Orlando?

Re-run your antenna setup and use a Tampa zip code as your primary market and then use an Orlando zip as the secondary. That will allow the HR20 to see both markets OTA.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#446 OFFLINE   knoxbh

knoxbh

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Many thanks for your assistance. Followed instructions and can now see both Orlando and Tampa stations (plus Sarasota & one other on the East Coast)!!!. Well worth the cost of antenna & installation.
Finally made 86 - looking forward to 87!!

#447 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

Market 591 Greenville Washington New Bern NC
Missing

WITNDT3 7.3 RF32 WITN WEATHER (not listed in guide)
WCTIDT2 12.3 RF12 LIVE WELL NETWORK (not listed in guide)

WYDODT2 14.2 should be RF47

#448 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

Here is a fresh OTA Listing, using data of 9/8/11.

This is hopefully much more consistent than the previous issue.

Please provide your feedback - it is a tremendous help in making the data useful and ensuring its validity.

Now, since DirecTV will not update this database any more :mad:, can you figure out how for us to update it for them? :sure: :)

#449 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

Ive had several new channels added but directv will not update the guide.
They should atleast let us scan channels.

#450 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

Please note that OTA data is now included with other LIL information within the Excel posted in the TPN MAP thread.

That OTA data will be updated fresh each week and grouped along with the LIL channels for each DMA.

You have only one place to look for the data, and it will always be the most current.

#451 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

Bad news

Just got off the phone with a Sr Rep in the rentions deptarment as to why I bought the AM21 OTA tuner and I cant get my Sub Channels for THIS TV, or COOL TV both digital sub channels.

The Ansnwer:

DirecTV will no longer be ADDING guide data for new OTA SubChannels. Just the main channels. Any subchannels in there now are grandfathered.

All I can say is they should at least do what Dish does, let the channel work but with no guide data, then at least we can watch it. Dish can Scan OTA.'

With DirecTV it is locked down so you can ONLY watch channels that are in the ZIP code lookup table when you set it up.

I am thinking if many call or email in there concern maybe they will change there minds.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#452 OFFLINE   computersecguy

computersecguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

Interesting, but doesn't quite jive with what everyone is seeing here. It isn't just sub channels, but all channels. For our DMA it is no CBS, or PBS, and not just subs. If you know another zip code with the same channel number, you can add that zip as a secondary market. Then select only the sub channel that you want, and you should see the channel. The only downside is no accurate guide information.

Moderators, the information keeps coming in that D* is/has abondoned updating this. Time to lock and close.

#453 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

More like time to abandon Direct TV.

#454 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

My new LG 47LV5500 has a DVR built in. I'm going to activate it and see if it records HDMI as well as OTA.

#455 OFFLINE   boogie

boogie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

I live in the Los Angeles DMA and there are at least 100 subchannels listed in the guide. I contacted D* and asked if they could ever review the current list and possible delete some of the existing duplicate sub-channels (4 PBS stations that show the same programs on each of their 4 subchannels), multiple foreign language subchannels, and subchannels that are just a SD feed of the main channel. I'm hoping that my removing a few of these subchannels they could add This TV (Channel 5-3) and RetroTV (Channel 8-1). I got a response that said someone would contact me within 24 hours to discuss the proposition. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be a workaround of the argument that there's no room for more subchannels in the data stream.

#456 OFFLINE   Jeffro

Jeffro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:44 AM

Call Sign: KIMT WX
Channel: 3-3
Issue: Channel missing from HR20 guide and H20 Guide

Call Sign: KXLT Me-TV
Channel: 47-2
Issue: Channel missing from HR20 guide and H20 Guide

#457 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

I had the office of the president call me, the lady really didnt have a clue about over the air tuners on the recievers. She said that she would pass along the info on the missing channels but said she couldnt promise anything. Thats been months ago.

#458 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Tampa Bay folks should be aware that Channel 10 (CBS) has completed the move of their transmitter from Holiday to Riverview, so now all local OTAs are coming from the same direction. Should make like easier.

WTSP 10 News: Transmitter move

Edited by bwaldron, 02 October 2011 - 09:42 AM.

#459 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

Note to Topeka, KS DirecTV subscribers with HD DVRs: (not HD TiVos)

As you know, the DirecTV HD DVR doesn't have the ability to scan for digital OTA stations. So we're limited to whatever DirecTV has in the database of digital stations, which doesn't get updated very often, if ever. However, if you want to be able to watch FOX HD on the new digital 43.1 (launched last week), there is a work-around.

Under Sat & Antenna, Antenna Setup, do Initial Setup. It will ask you for the zip code of your primary area (TV market). Enter your Topeka zip. It may take several minutes, but eventually it will figure out Topeka. For your secondary zip, enter 63101, which is St. Louis. St. Louis has a FOX station which is also located on channel 43. The local programming listings will be incorrect in the guide, but the FOX national programs should show up in the right times. NFL games will probably mostly show up as Rams games, but your DVR will record whatever game KTMJ is showing.

The only bad thing about this workaround is that if your antenna picks up KC stations, you probably already have claimed KC as your secondary market. I noticed that StL also has stations on channels 4, 5, and 9, but I don't know if the networks align with those in KC.

#460 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

JUST ADDED
Cleveland WEWS 5.2 Live Well.
WEWS 5.2 didn`t even exsist till about a month ago.
So much for that bullsh*t that DTV won`t be adding anymore subchannels.
Meanwhile Cleveland WJW 8.2 Antenna TV STILL doesn`t appear in the guide, even though it went live 1-1-11. (been listed on zap2it since day 1, also)
I don`t trust anything DTV says anymore.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...