Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issue Thread

• Please log in to reply
616 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

Greenville NC
Live well added to 12.2 (missing on guide)WCTI

Bounce TV added to 8.2 (missing on guide) WFXI

Bounce TV added to 14.2 (on guide but wrong freq assigned)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

We currently don’t have enough guide capacity to add additional stations to our off-air guide.

Program Manager- Local Channels
DIRECTV INC.

#463 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

We currently don’t have enough guide capacity to add additional stations to our off-air guide.

DIRECTV INC.

That's a pretty sad situation. I wish they at least let us receive the channels, even though there may not be guide info.

Lame!:mad:

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#464 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

DIRECTV INC.

The thing is, I don't necessarily want/demand guide data for all the OTA stations. I just want my HR20's and AM21's OTA tuners to be able to tune any station it is physically capable of receiving, without needing a database to define the station's existence. No other ATSC OTA tuner implemention is so held captive to an externally downloaded database to to be to physically tune to a channel/subchannel. The OTA stream located on the actual RF channel has all the info needed (virtual channel info, active sub channel definitions, even rudimentary guide info) to provde the device with any channel's specific existence info that is needed. My TVs' ATSC tuners handle this task flawlessly. I don't want to have to split my OTA signal (3 dB loss) so as to have feed both the TV and the AM21.

As to the guide, simply say "digital service" in the guide if there is no guide data provided. This should not be difficult.

I do not believe their guide capacity issue is due to inability to add channels (DirecTV adds/revises satellite channels from time to time, name, internal info to "tune" it, etc)) so that the channels are selectable to the user, so I suspect their issue is around the capacity to add all the programming information. I am willing to forego that. Just let me define and/or the device detect available OTA channels so that I can tune a channel whether or not it is in DirecTV's database.

#465 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

I just want my HR20's and AM21's OTA tuners to be able to tune any station it is physically capable of receiving, without needing a database to define the station's existence.

Then the HR20s must be different than the H20s. I know for Canadian stations you run a scan and it identifies the channel & its listed in the guide..."Regular Schedule" displays. You can tune the channel directly or set a manual recording to an external dvd burner.

#466 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

The thing is, I don't necessarily want/demand guide data for all the OTA stations. I just want my HR20's and AM21's OTA tuners to be able to tune any station it is physically capable of receiving, without needing a database to define the station's existence. No other ATSC OTA tuner implemention is so held captive to an externally downloaded database to to be to physically tune to a channel/subchannel. The OTA stream located on the actual RF channel has all the info needed (virtual channel info, active sub channel definitions, even rudimentary guide info) to provde the device with any channel's specific existence info that is needed. My TVs' ATSC tuners handle this task flawlessly. I don't want to have to split my OTA signal (3 dB loss) so as to have feed both the TV and the AM21.

As to the guide, simply say "digital service" in the guide if there is no guide data provided. This should not be difficult.

I do not believe their guide capacity issue is due to inability to add channels (DirecTV adds/revises satellite channels from time to time, name, internal info to "tune" it, etc)) so that the channels are selectable to the user, so I suspect their issue is around the capacity to add all the programming information. I am willing to forego that. Just let me define and/or the device detect available OTA channels so that I can tune a channel whether or not it is in DirecTV's database.

I couldn't agree more. I remember my old Tivo was able to pickup all the OTA channels even if there was no guide data available.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#467 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

I figured the simplest way for Direct TV to go would be to remove the data for the channels already received by Direct TV satellite. Just leave that info blank. For instance WKYC NBC Cleveland I receive both OTA (3.1) and from Direct (3). Take away the info for 3.1, since it already shows on DTV Ch. 3. They could leave the 3.1 blank, which would open up space for another local OTA not serviced by the AM21 (say Cleveland Antenna TV 8.2). I bet that would open up thousands of slots for everyone all over the country.

Maybe this is too simple.

#468 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

Too bad that stations would just stop remapping, on OTA channels and start designating the frequencies, that they already use. I get 2 remaps of different channel 2's locally.

#469 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Too bad that stations would just stop remapping, on OTA channels and start designating the frequencies, that they already use. I get 2 remaps of different channel 2's locally.

An aside:

I disagree with the whole virtual channel number thing anyway. The FCC actually REQUIRES by policy/reg stations to use their old analog channel number in their mapping, even channels that don' exist anymore, like channel 69 (an Atlanta station). Eventually there will be stations "cross wired", with each's virtual channel number matching the RF channels the other station is actually using. Per FCC mandate. So stupid.

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1312810

I would have preferred all stations been required to use their actual physical RF channel name after the digital transition, "rebranding" considerations notwithstanding. So much cleaner.

#470 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Then the HR20s must be different than the H20s. I know for Canadian stations you run a scan and it identifies the channel & its listed in the guide..."Regular Schedule" displays. You can tune the channel directly or set a manual recording to an external dvd burner.

Have you noticed if the H20 ever automatically picks up on additional subchannels or subchannel deletions like a normal ATSC tuner does? Some Atlanta market station frequently mess around with their mix.

I have read on the forum before that only the H20 does scanning. Apparantly DirecTV decided to take a different path with the rollout of the HR20 and subsequent models, (even through my HR20 user manual mentions OTA scanning... :) ) The fact that the H20 does/can scan and display the channel as available in the guide tells me DirecTV could in all likelihood easily allow the same with all the other H and HR receivers. Why they choose not to enable such is beyond my comprehension. :confused:

#471 OFFLINE   onefunpun

onefunpun

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

Call Sign: WBRC
Channel: 6-2
Issue: Channel missing from HR20 guide

#472 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Call Sign: WBRC
Channel: 6-2
Issue: Channel missing from HR20 guide

funpun,

Checking the current TPN Map (OTA tab) WBRC / Birmingham shows up just fine. Perhaps a reboot will clear your HR20's brain?

#473 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Maybe if they'd clear out some of the non-existent channels from the stupid database, they'd have more room. For example, both of our local CBS stations here have CBS on the .1 and another channel on the .2, but both have .3's and .4's in the AM21 database.
WFMY 2.1 CBS
WFMY 2.2 Weather
WFMY 2.3 doesn't exist yet AM21 thinks it does
WFMY 2.4 doesn't exist

WRAL 5.1 CBS
WRAL 5.2 ThisTV
WRAL 5.3 doesn't exist
WRAL 5.4 doesn't exist

There are many other subchannels that they have in there that aren't real (at least in my DMAs) yet some are missing. MAKES NO SENSE!!

#474 OFFLINE   weaver6

weaver6

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Washington DC Change:

9-2 now Bounce
9-3 added to now be weather radar
AU9 5 LNB Dish
HR21-100 with AM-21 to Sharp LC-60E79U using HDMI, optical to Harmon/Kardon AVR-247, 2 TB external hard drive
HR21-700 to 31" Mitsubishi CRT, 2 TB external hard drive
Westell 7500 Router, Hardwired to HR21-100, 7500 hardwired to Netgear switch to HR20-100

#475 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Each NC market can get rid of UNC .5 channels, UNC dropped down to just 3 digital channels. Directv dropped the .4 channel but didnt get rid of the .5

Also all the ION channel stations dropped a channel last year. There were 4 now only 3.
(ion, qubo and ion life)

#476 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

I kinda wish they had left the .4 (I assume that was the MX channel that is now Time Warner exclusive.) Since I still have the MX channel on QAM, i would like to have a guide for it somewhere! (Of course, I would gladly give it up for legit subchannels!)

#477 OFFLINE   healthycityboy

healthycityboy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

I live in the Los Angeles area and just got a new DirecTV TiVo receiver. In conjunction with an AM 21 tuner, I am able to get some but not all of the OTA channels I would like to see. For instance, I can pick up KFLA and all it's digital sub channels, but there is no program information in the guide. You have to set up manual recordings, but that is no big deal. I do not pick up THIS TV though. Go figure.

#478 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

I live in the Los Angeles area and just got a new DirecTV TiVo receiver. In conjunction with an AM 21 tuner, I am able to get some but not all of the OTA channels I would like to see. For instance, I can pick up KFLA and all it's digital sub channels, but there is no program information in the guide.

Horrors! (sarcasm) :sure:

I would like this option with non-TIVO receivers + the AM21

#479 OFFLINE   healthycityboy

healthycityboy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Update: On Friday night I set up a manual recording to record KFLA on Saturday morning. To make sure it was set, I checked my To-Do list and it appeared as scheduled. When I looked in my Now Playing list the next afternoon, it was not there. I checked my Recording History list, it said it was not recorded because the channel was removed from my Channel List. I checked my Channel List and it was listed under channels I receive, although it had an asterisk by it. I checked the manual and the asterisk means there is no guide information available I think that because there is no program guide information, the DVR is not recording. I can view the channel with no problem. Hopefully now that KFLA has got their transmitter problem straightened out, it can provide the necessary info to the TiVo service.

Edited by healthycityboy, 02 January 2012 - 01:30 PM.
Added info, corrected typos.

#480 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Cleveland WUAB 43.2 Changed from THIS TV to Bounce TV today.
Available on AM21, has been since it was THIS TV.

Cleveland WUAB 43.3 new today (THIS TV), not available on AM21.

Wasn`t Bounce TV going to be carried by Direct TV?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...