Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issue Thread

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

I have been using a HR24 with an AM21 for a while now and have quite a few OTA listings on the guide.

Zip Codes: Primary = Peoria-Bloomington and Secondary = Champaign-Springfield-Decatur.

I just recently added a HR34 to my account and attached an AM21 to it, just like my HR24... the thing is, the HR34 has a lot of the local OTA channels missing in the guide info. Probably 10 fewer than the HR24. Is this a problem with the HR34...?

Some of the missing stations numbers:

15.1 - WICD-DT
20.1 - WICS-DT
27.1 – WCCU
47.1 - WTVP-DT
47.2 - WTVP-DT
47.3 - WTVP-DT
59.1 - WAOE-DT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

Update: On Friday night I set up a manual recording to record KFLA on Saturday morning. To make sure it was set, I checked my To-Do list and it appeared as scheduled. When I looked in my Now Playing list the next afternoon, it was not there. I checked my Recording History list, it said it was not recorded because the channel was removed from my Channel List. I checked my Channel List and it was listed under channels I receive, although it had an asterisk by it. I checked the manual and the asterisk means there is no guide information available I think that because there is no program guide information, the DVR is not recording. I can view the channel with no problem. Hopefully now that KFLA has got their transmitter problem straightened out, it can provide the necessary info to the TiVo service.

Well that does not seem to make much sense if doing a manual recording!

#483 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Here's a real mystery - Installed a new HR34 (F/W 4C9; SD GUI) along with a AM21N OTA adapter. Selected St. Louis, MO/E. St. Louis, IL "market" and HR34 IDed most (but not all) OTA channels. Next, installed a AM21N on a previously activated HR24 (F/W 57B; HD GUI) and selected the same "market". HOWEVER, the HR24 IDed a completely DIFFERENT list of OTA channels. The HR24 list is valid for this "market" but it omits a couple of the low-power channels listed in the HR34 list and includes a valid sub-channel not contained in the HR34 list.

Can anyone explain why two receivers would ID a completely different list of available OTA channels for a given market? Thanks!

#484 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,709 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

Here's a real mystery - Installed a new HR34 (F/W 4C9; SD GUI) along with a AM21N OTA adapter. Selected St. Louis, MO/E. St. Louis, IL "market" and HR34 IDed most (but not all) OTA channels. Next, installed a AM21N on a previously activated HR24 (F/W 57B; HD GUI) and selected the same "market". HOWEVER, the HR24 IDed a completely DIFFERENT list of OTA channels. The HR24 list is valid for this "market" but it omits a couple of the low-power channels listed in the HR34 list and includes a valid sub-channel not contained in the HR34 list.

Can anyone explain why two receivers would ID a completely different list of available OTA channels for a given market? Thanks!

HR34+AM21 actually scans for off-air channels. HR2x+AM21 uses a Guide Database.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#485 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

HR34+AM21 actually scans for off-air channels. HR2x+AM21 uses a Guide Database.

If thats true I need a HR34. Local Fox HD channel is one DirecTV refuses to include in the AM21 database but if I can do a scan it will be picked up and , presumably, be included in the guide.

#486 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Could you please list the channels they picked up? I live in the STL area and I'm very curious as to the difference. Thanks.

#487 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have been using a HR24 with an AM21 for a while now and have quite a few OTA listings on the guide.

Zip Codes: Primary = Peoria-Bloomington and Secondary = Champaign-Springfield-Decatur.

I just recently added a HR34 to my account and attached an AM21 to it, just like my HR24... the thing is, the HR34 has a lot of the local OTA channels missing in the guide info. Probably 10 fewer than the HR24. Is this a problem with the HR34...?

Some of the missing stations numbers:

15.1 - WICD-DT
20.1 - WICS-DT
27.1 – WCCU
47.1 - WTVP-DT
47.2 - WTVP-DT
47.3 - WTVP-DT
59.1 - WAOE-DT

It's been mentioned that the HR34 + AM21 "scans" for OTA channels and does not rely on the Tribune Media Service's Data Base. If this is so, it's news to me and a much needed improvement over using the data base.

I recently had to install a replacement HR24 and in the process "lost" 29 OTA stations. DirecTV had no answer! I even contacted Tribune - no help at all!!!

Every day I re-downloaded the OTA Date Base and after the 4th attempt,
all 29 stations reappeared. Why they weren't there from the get go, who knows?

In would be very helpful if others could verify the "scan" capability of the
HR34 + AM21 combination.

#488 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

It's been mentioned that the HR34 + AM21 "scans" for OTA channels and does not rely on the Tribune Media Service's Data Base. If this is so, it's news to me and a much needed improvement over using the data base.

I recently had to install a replacement HR24 and in the process "lost" 29 OTA stations. DirecTV had no answer! I even contacted Tribune - no help at all!!!

Every day I re-downloaded the OTA Date Base and after the 4th attempt,
all 29 stations reappeared. Why they weren't there from the get go, who knows?

In would be very helpful if others could verify the "scan" capability of the
HR34 + AM21 combination.

It's already been stated many times you just need to search. However it remains to be seen if this functionality stays or not. The H2/HR2 series used to as well and it was removed.

#489 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

"It's already been stated many times you just need to search."

I have no idea what you mean - "you just need to search."

If you would, please clarify.

#490 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Could you please list the channels they picked up? I live in the STL area and I'm very curious as to the difference. Thanks.

You can get what looks like a good, up-to-date list for the St. Louis, MO/E. St. Lous/IL "market" by going to:

www.rabbitears.info

and then selecting "Listings", "Web Listings", scroll down to and click on the "Name" (St. Louis) and then click on "Print All".

In my case, the HR34/AM21N combination creates a Guide Listing for the channels/subs (e.g., 7-1) that are NOT contained in the DirecTV "Guide Database" by simply showing "Regular Schedule". Also, the fact that the HR34/AM21N combination apparently performs an actual scan means that channels/subs with a weak signal at your location/antenna will NOT be listed. For example, the Mt. Vernon, IL-based WPXS IS listed in my HR24 Guide even though I can't receive it at my location BUT the HR34 Guide does NOT contain either the 13-1 or 13-2 Guide data contained in the DirecTV "Guide Database".

It's sort of confusing but I guess it makes sense. Ideally, the H2x/HR2x F/W will be changed to conform to the HR34 "model" and create a consistent Guide list for all OTA-capable receivers at a customer's location. If this is done, the only other issue is how they (or the receiver) can "update" the OTA list in response to station changes.

Edited by denpri, 15 January 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#491 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

"It's already been stated many times you just need to search."

I have no idea what you mean - "you just need to search."

If you would, please clarify.

Top of the page there's a tab that says Search with an arrow next to it. All decent forums have this ability.

#492 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

WATL 36
Atlanta

36.2 - Bounce
36.3 - Antenna TV

AM21: Channels are missing from AM21

AM21N: Guide Data is missing is for these channels (Guide shows "Regular Programming"). Additionally, channels do not appear in a 'Custom' guide. The channels can be selected during the set-up process but just do not show-up when using the guide itself.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#493 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

WATL 36
Atlanta

36.2 - Bounce
36.3 - Antenna TV

AM21: Channels are missing from AM21

AM21N: Guide Data is missing is for these channels (Guide shows "Regular Programming"). Additionally, channels do not appear in a 'Custom' guide. The channels can be selected during the set-up process but just do not show-up when using the guide itself.

what model receivers are they connected to?

#494 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

You can get what looks like a good, up-to-date list for the St. Louis, MO/E. St. Lous/IL "market" by going to:

www.rabbitears.info

and then selecting "Listings", "Web Listings", scroll down to and click on the "Name" (St. Louis) and then click on "Print All".

In my case, the HR34/AM21N combination creates a Guide Listing for the channels/subs (e.g., 7-1) that are NOT contained in the DirecTV "Guide Database" by simply showing "Regular Schedule". Also, the fact that the HR34/AM21N combination apparently performs an actual scan means that channels/subs with a weak signal at your location/antenna will NOT be listed. For example, the Mt. Vernon, IL-based WPXS IS listed in my HR24 Guide even though I can't receive it at my location BUT the HR34 Guide does NOT contain either the 13-1 or 13-2 Guide data contained in the DirecTV "Guide Database".

It's sort of confusing but I guess it makes sense. Ideally, the H2x/HR2x F/W will be changed to conform to the HR34 "model" and create a consistent Guide list for all OTA-capable receivers at a customer's location. If this is done, the only other issue is how they (or the receiver) can "update" the OTA list in response to station changes.

It is indeed confusing. I have done back to back OTA setups (HR20 and HR24 + AM-21) and gotten different OTA channel mixes resulting.

#495 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

WDAF Subchannel 4-2 (carries Antenna TV) in Kansas City, Mo.

Subchannel missing from DTV guide but Tribune Media Services (which supplies DTV listings) has listed it for quite some time. Why doesn't DTV pass it along so I can toon to it on the AM21?

#496 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,709 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

WDAF Subchannel 4-2 (carries Antenna TV) in Kansas City, Mo.

Subchannel missing from DTV guide but Tribune Media Services (which supplies DTV listings) has listed it for quite some time. Why doesn't DTV pass it along so I can toon to it on the AM21?

Because DirecTV has pretty much stopped adding sub-channels to their channel database. Supposedly there's no more memory capacity to handle all of the new sub-channels being added across the country. You can email DirecTV and request the addition, but it's unlikely to be added.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#497 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

It is indeed confusing. I have done back to back OTA setups (HR20 and HR24 + AM-21) and gotten different OTA channel mixes resulting.

I have an HR24/AM21N, and I get different OTA listings just about every time I re-run the OTA zip code entry setup, and this is the case whether I first do a reset to clear the OTA listings or not. I know it's also important to actually re-enter each zip code digit in the entry process, even if the zip code digits are already there from your previous setup. By about the third time re-running the OTA setup, all of the channels usually finally appear in my channel listing. Based on some things I've noticed, it's also possible that the OTA zip code setup is interacting in some way with whether you have certain OTA channels selected or not selected in a "Favorites" list that you routinely use for your station lineup on-screen. I have to experiment with this more, but it's possible that you might have to somehow manipulate/clear/select all, some or none of the OTA entries in your "Favorites" list in combination with the OTA zip code entry setup to get it to show all available OTA stations. In any event, anyone having unusual or deficient OTA listings might try re-running the OTA zip code entry setup a few times and/or checking how their OTA stations are selected in their "Favorites" list and see if that helps to get all stations included.

#498 OFFLINE   EricJRW

EricJRW

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts
  • LocationKeller, TX

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, but I'm trying to understand the AM-21's vs. my scanning television's channel list. I know my HR22/AM21 pair downloads the channel list. This list is 10 channels short (not counting subs, that brings the total to about 41) of what my TV picks up via scanning.

Also, in some cases, the AM21 has subs that no longer exist, in other cases it is missing subs. In one case it shows the wrong sub (4-2) but the content is correct for the actual (4-1), meaning I watch broadcast 4-1 on the AM21's 4-2.

Looking at Zap2it.com, I see 5 of the missing (from the AM-21) channels, but oddly, 5 channels from the TV are not listed at Zap2it (zip 76248). I live in Fort Worth, so I figure any zip should get me the DFW market, but perhaps not.

For the channels that are at Zap2it, but not in the AM21, it's my understanding that the only recourse is to contact DirecTV. If this thread is any indication, that action is unlikely to change anything.

So I guess what I'm asking (sorry it took so long to get to the point), is there a way to figure out which secondary market my 5 missing channels might be in? I don't see an easy way to this at Zap2it. Does DTV publish their OTA channel list anywhere? There is one channel (55) that we would like to see on the AM21, and perhaps finding the right zip would do it. I figure this might might also get some of the others channels into the guide too.

Thanks for your help.

DTV: SIR-TS360 7/25/2004
DTV: HR21-200 7/05/2008

DTV: AM21-700 7/10/2008
DTV: HR22-100 5/15/2009

FTV: QIP6416/QIP2500 4/25/2013

#499 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

What are the call signs/call letters of the 5 missing stations?

This might allow some of us to help you.

It took me daily downloading, over nearly a week to reinstall the 29 stations that were missing on my replacement receiver.

It's a lousy system that DirecTV/Tribune Media Service have concocted.

I look forward to getting a HR34 that brings back the ability to scan for stations - the way my old Sony DirecTV receiver operated.

#500 OFFLINE   EricJRW

EricJRW

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts
  • LocationKeller, TX

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Good tip on the call signs... I will pursue that. Thank you.

DTV: SIR-TS360 7/25/2004
DTV: HR21-200 7/05/2008

DTV: AM21-700 7/10/2008
DTV: HR22-100 5/15/2009

FTV: QIP6416/QIP2500 4/25/2013

Protected By... spam firewall...And...