Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issue Thread

• Please log in to reply
611 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Metro Detroit change:

WPXD-31 (ION) (not carried in HD by DirecTV) has been operating with the following subchannels from Chelsea, Michigan (fairly far from much of metro Detroit):

31.1/31.1 ION (HD)
31.2/31.2 qubo (SD)
31.3/31.3 ION Life (SD)

Yesterday, WPXD began transmitting on real channel 50 from Southfield, putting a much stronger signal over all of metro Detroit on these subchannels:

50.1/31.1 ION (HD)
50.2/31.2 qubo (SD)
50.3/31.3 ION Life (SD)

The Chelsea transmitter is still operating (perhaps as a fill-in transmitter), so we currently have two sets of these channels active.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#502 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Remember DirecTV has stopped adding new Over the Air guide data.
Existing data is still there if the channel was up and in there system since July of 2011.

There is no need to request new channels as they simply CAN NOT ADD IT.

If you have the new HR34 5 tuner model you can SCAN for these channels, it will show in the guide, but you will not get guide data show what is on, but you can still watch the channel.

Currently there is NO scan option in the older HR2x Dual tuner models and there are not known plans to add it due to memory constraints.

For those with issues of getting different guide data for OTA when setting up.

You need to reset the data.

Step 1. Remove all OTA settings also known as reset
Step 2 Reboot box (REQUIRED)
Step 3 confirm there is NO OTA guide data if not repeat
Step 4 wait 5 mins for the queue to clear up
Step 5 Re run setup again
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#503 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I've come up with two different solutions. Neither of which make me happy, but they work. In Phoenix, the channel that carries MeTV and RTV is not available in the guide. I purchased a USB TV adapter for my Win7 machine and a DLink Windows Media Extender on EBay. (Note...an XBox will work as an extender as well).

I also purchased a stand-alone Tivo. The special they were running (which may still be vailid) is $9.99/month if you only use an antenna for the source. Use keyword "ANTENNA" when creating your account. So the Tivo is in the living room and Media Extender in my bedroom for content that I can't (but should be able to) record on my DirecTV DVRs.

#504 OFFLINE   EricJRW

EricJRW

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts
  • LocationKeller, TX

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Mike, I think we are getting ready to go your route. Build my own PC based OTA DVR and use a media extender. Most content we want is on-line, so the monthly cost for DTV does not justify the cost any longer. DTV is nearing its end in our household.

Why did I BUY the AM21 if it's not going to be fully supported?

DTV: SIR-TS360 7/25/2004
DTV: HR21-200 7/05/2008

DTV: AM21-700 7/10/2008
DTV: HR22-100 5/15/2009

FTV: QIP6416/QIP2500 4/25/2013

#505 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Direct TV ADDED Cleveland WEWS 5.2 Live Well TV in Nov, 2011
So, it show me they CAN ADD if they want to.

#506 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Interesting;

Because my local FOX O&O outlet KTTV 11 creates an SD duplicate of its main HD telecast (11-1) on a secondary sub-channel 11-2, by actually broadcasting it from its owned station local KCOP 13 (MyN TV) so KTTV does not have to sacrifice any its bandwidth to do so.

This has resulted in a somewhat confused situation in the OTA channel guide, where both a sub-channel 11-2 and 13-2 appear in the guide with the same KTTV program information. However 13-2 I assume is spurious and thus formally received no picture (792 SFS error).

Now with the recent launch of "Bounce TV," it serendipitously appears on 13-2, but of course with the wrong program info since this sub-channel was never intended for it as its a spurious offshoot of the creation of sub-channel 11-2. Though it seems the AM21 has locked onto Bounce TV for it.

EDIT: The CG is now displaying programming correctly for Bounce TV on KCOP sub-channel 13-2, even though 13-2 wasn't purposely created for it.

Kudos to DIRECTV anyhow for the correction. :)

Now if I could only get them to add KTLA sub-channel 5-3, THIS TV.

Edited by HoTat2, 18 March 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#507 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Greenville NC

WYDO-DT 14.2 has finally been fixed on the Directv ota guide. WYDO changed freq. after the digital transition from RFch 14 to RF ch 47. But Directv only updated 14.1 to 47.
But now Directv has update 14.2 as well, now we can get Bounce TV on 14.2

#508 OFFLINE   jdgohus

jdgohus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Would like to see Fox8-2 Antenna TV and Cleveland 19-2 Me TV added to DirecTV, great classic TV, any chance?

My Equipment: HR44-200 with AM21N, HR24-500, H21-100, Slimline 3 Dish, Samsung Smart 3D LED UN55ES8000F, Sony Bravia LCD KDL-32XBR6, Samsung 22" LCD TV

#509 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

My LG 47LV5500 has a OTA DVR built in. The draw back is you can't record OTA and use another input simultaneously.

#510 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

In Manhattan, NY, the guide containing local stations has been incorrect for way too long.

I've reported the problems to both DirecTV and Tribune Media Services.

First, WNBC stopped broadcasting Universal Sports over 4.4, but 4.4 continues to show up on the guide.

This next one is confusing.

Channel 55 (RF 47) in the New York DMA, WLNY was recently sold to CBS.

Before the sale, the previous owner had three translators in the the market - two of which have been listed on the local guide. These two translators both have used the same call sign, WLIG-LD. One of them was licensed to
Merrick, Long Island, NY and transmitted over 45.1 from the Trump World Tower building in midtown Manhattan.

The other translator also called WLIG-LD was licensed to Morristown, NJ - almost 40 miles from Manhattan, over Channel 17.1.

Both of those translators since their sale are now dark - off the air, they have been for months, yet they continue to be listed.

As an aside, DirecTV was so mixed up, in providing a listing and reception for Channel 17.1 it isn't and never was WLNY's signal, but in Manhattan, I continue to receive over 17.1, WEBR-CD, low power Korean/Religious station transmitting from the Empire State Building. Again, have reported this a number of times - nothing was done.

Here are 3 local OTA slots that DirecTV/Tribune continue to list - 2 of which are totally gone, and the other, 17.1 is providing the wrong programming.

This all brings me to that WCBS, in the past few months has added Channel 2.2, CBS New York+ and it's absent from the guide. With 3 slots available, surely you would think that 2.2 would be added - but "No."

So glad that the new HR34 has the ability to scan for channels. even if many won't be seen on the guide, wish my HR24 and HR21 had this capability.

The DirecTV/Tribune Media Services system is terribly flawed and frustrating!

#511 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Would like to see Fox8-2 Antenna TV and Cleveland 19-2 Me TV added to DirecTV, great classic TV, any chance?

If you have the AM21 converter, you can receive ME TV 19.2, 43.2 Bounce TV, but not 8.2 Antenna TV. (Direct TV never bothered to add it to their database, same with THIS TV 55.3.)

You`ll also be able to pick up both 43.1 WUAB MY TV and 23.1 ION TV in HD NOT CARRIED by Direct TV, as well as all the local PBS substations and countless religious subchannels that are (for some reason) in Direct TV database.

#512 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,016 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Have a little problem with Tribune guide data.
In OKC KOCO 5-1 & 5-2 no longer appear in the channel list when setting up an AM21 using an HR2x DVR which uses Tribune guide data for setup.
The HR34 picks them up on the channel scan, and for that DVR programming data does appear in the guide.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#513 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Have you tried multiple downloads of Tribune guide data?

I have found, at least on my two receivers here in New York City, that it can take an average of 5 attempts to get the correct number of stations listed. The majority of downloads only gives me 25 stations when the number should be 59!

What an inept system!!!!

#514 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Yes, I've noticed that, many times, it takes a number of successive resets followed by re-entry of the two zip code entries to get all OTA stations to properly show up in my on-screen guide. Haven't had the chance to experiment much with it yet, but I also suspect that the OTA stations present in your "Favorites" menu and/or the number of OTA stations selected (or "check-boxed") in the resulting OTA stations setup menu (for being included in the on-screen guide) may influence the situation as well.

#515 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

I just got a Winegard AP8275 preamp for my (southeast pointed) Channel Master CM4228HD installed yesterday. I can receive WPXD-DT1 much better now, but for some reason, WPXD-DT2 and WPXD-DT3 (which both show up on my EPG) won't come in at all. When I hook the coax directly into the TV though they both come in great. What gives?? I want to record He-Man and the Masters of the Universe from qubo night owl. :(

Edit: I also reset the OTA guide, same results as above.

What do the signal strengths say? Where exactly did install the amp in terms of distance from the antenna?

#516 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Two antennas transmitting at the same time and not using a DTS - special multiple transmission scheme?

Can't find any DTS filings with the FCC. Only thing that I'm seeing is a different antenna than the one listed in the CP.

Doubtful that if there were a new transmitter location that the old one would still be hot.

Very strange!

#517 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

I emailed D* a few hours ago. I doubt the CSR will do anything but send a canned response though. It'd be nice to be able to record He-Man, they run the exact same commercials over and over and over, in the same order and everything. I get enough of that on FS Detroit.

Canned response as expected:

Thank you for writing. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to access WPXD channel on your DIRECTV service. I understand that you were able to get it using your high powered outdoor antenna.

I know how important it is for you to watch programming that you desire.

Now that all stations have transitioned to digital broadcasts, the digital sub-channels may be in new locations. By following the steps below you can re-scan for the digital sub-channels:

- Press "MENU" button
- Select "Parental Fav's & Setup" and press "SELECT"
- Select "Sat. & Ant." Press "SELECT"
- Select "Antenna Setup" press "SELECT"
- Select "Scan for Channels" press "SELECT"
- Wait for scan to complete

Once the scan is complete the digital sub channels should appear in your on screen guide. You can periodically repeat these steps to check for new digital sub-channels.

We have developed advanced technology throughout the years making our state-of-the-art equipment, as well as the television reception on your highly reliable system.We assure you that we will continue to invest in the quality of your viewing experience by bringing you more new features on your receiver and more new programming.

Again, thank you for writing, Mr. CCK. We value your long time business with us.

Sincerely,

Raem M. - 100542422
DIRECTV Customer Service

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#518 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Now that all stations have transitioned to digital broadcasts, the digital sub-channels may be in new locations. By following the steps below you can re-scan for the digital sub-channels:

- Press "MENU" button
- Select "Parental Fav's & Setup" and press "SELECT"
- Select "Sat. & Ant." Press "SELECT"
- Select "Antenna Setup" press "SELECT"
- Select "Scan for Channels" press "SELECT"
- Wait for scan to complete

Once the scan is complete the digital sub channels should appear in your on screen guide. You can periodically repeat these steps to check for new digital sub-channels.

Sincerely,

Raem M. - 100542422
DIRECTV Customer Service

What receiver model has the option "scan for channels"??

#519 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

What receiver model has the option "scan for channels"??

H20-100 ... Scan for local channels with program data AND/PLUS the option of entering a primary & secondary zip code to retrieve program guide data for two over-the-air markets. It is definitely a feature that Directv should tout. Far better than the data available on DISH receivers.

The Advanced Program Guide surpasses any guide I've been able to find on the internet. I wish there was a way to access the same data on the internet perhaps via Directv.

#520 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

Not that it'll probably do anybody any good, but:

Albany, Georgia (Network #513, Market #2) - Zip Code: 31768
  • WSWG-DT3 (The CW - #44-3) - missing from guide data
  • WSWG-DT2 (MyNetworkTV - #44-2) - missing logo

Columbus, Georgia (Network #558, Market #47) - Zip Code: 31909
  • WLTZ-DT2 (The CW - #38-2) - missing logo

Tallahassee, Florida (Network #695, Market #184) - Zip Code: 32309
  • WCTV-DT2 (MyNetworkTV - #6-2) - missing logo
  • WTXL-DT3 (#27-3) - missing from guide data
  • WTWC-DT3 (#40-3) - missing from guide data
  • WTLH-DT2 (The CW - #49-2) - missing logo
  • WTLH-DT3 (MeTV - #49-3) - missing from guide data

Edited by Alan Gordon, 17 August 2012 - 01:56 PM.

spam firewall