Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issue Thread

• Please log in to reply
616 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

H20-100 ... Scan for local channels with program data AND/PLUS the option of entering a primary & secondary zip code to retrieve program guide data for two over-the-air markets.

Anything besides the H20?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

The HR34.

#523 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

I was just curious as to the response from DirecTV the poster got that reference doing an OTA scan. No receiver model was mentioned.

#524 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

It is definitely a feature that Directv should tout. Far better than the data available on DISH receivers.

One of the drawbacks of the DIRECTV's "functionally identical" receiver recycling model is that they can't tout any feature that they don't all have. If you don't claim a feature, you can remove it at a later date with a lot better deniability.

With the WHDS installation model being the rule, DIRECTV really doesn't want to talk about what the H20 could do that WHDS capable models cannot.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#525 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

I was just curious as to the response from DirecTV the poster got that reference doing an OTA scan. No receiver model was mentioned.

I have an HR22-100. I've reset/rescanned thrice now and still no WPXD-DT2 or WPXD-DT3, even though they come in great when I wire directly into the TV.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#526 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Not that it'll probably do anybody any good, but:

Albany, Georgia (Network #513, Market #2) - Zip Code: 31768

• WSWG-DT3 (The CW - #44-3) - missing from guide data
  • WSWG-DT2 (MyNetworkTV - #44-2) - missing logo

Columbus, Georgia (Network #558, Market #47) - Zip Code: 31909
  • WLTZ-DT2 (The CW - #38-2) - missing logo

Tallahassee, Florida (Network #695, Market #184) - Zip Code: 32309
  • WCTV-DT2 (MyNetworkTV - #6-2) - missing logo
  • WTXL-DT3 (#27-3) - missing from guide data
  • WTWC-DT3 (#40-3) - missing from guide data
  • WTLH-DT2 (The CW - #49-2) - missing logo
  • WTLH-DT3 (MeTV - #49-3) - missing from guide data

Made changes to the above.

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 17 August 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#527 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Does anybody know contact information for someone at Tribune that might actually work on getting guide data straightened out?!

Thanks!
~Alan

#528 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Does anybody know contact information for someone at Tribune that might actually work on getting guide data straightened out?!

Thanks!
~Alan

Posted on Zap2it's Facebook page. That always gets CentruyLink's attention! :D (It doesn't look like TMS has a Facebook page)

Say, all of us post on their wall that their that (fill in the DMA) OTA guide data for DirecTV receivers needs updating/corrections. I would not be surprised if we all get a quick response.

https://www.facebook...it/102661123858

#529 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Posted on Zap2it's Facebook page. That always gets CentruyLink's attention! :D (It doesn't look like TMS has a Facebook page)

Say, all of us post on their wall that their that (fill in the DMA) OTA guide data for DirecTV receivers needs updating/corrections. I would not be surprised if we all get a quick response.

I'm not sure there's much use in attempting to get channels missing from the DirecTV OTA database added. I was shocked when WFXL-DT2 (BounceTV) was added to the OTA lineup in my market. If it hadn't been for that, I wouldn't have even known it was available. :eek2: While my neighboring market of Tallahassee, FL is missing THREE (3) sub-channels, I'm lucky in that my market of Albany, GA is only missing ONE sub-channel (The CW)... and DirecTV currently carries it via LiL. I can't receive the OTA signal anyway, but my hope is that DirecTV add the sub-channel listing prior to it going HD for those who can.

Tribune knows the sub-channel exists. They also know that the CW affiliates without a logo are CW affiliates, and that the MyNetworkTV affiliates are MyNetworkTV affiliates. The ball is in DirecTV's court with those...

I'm more interested in getting the channels that I do have guide data for correct.

I can receive an IND station OTA and via DirecTV. It's 480i SD via OTA and DirecTV, yet both the OTA listings and the DirecTV LiL listings have HD tags attached. This is ANNOYING... My market also has a CBS station whose HD newscasts are imported from the Tallahassee, FL market, but no HD tags. They also have a MyNetworkTV sub-channel whose programming has HD tags even though it's 480i SD only. One of the two statewide PBS station's OTA guide data I receive does not have HD tags on their programming, and the market that DirecTV remaps my PBS from does not have HD tags either.

Three of the big four networks in Tallahassee, FL have HD newscasts, yet only one of those four networks have HD tags on their programming. Two of that market's sub-channels that are 480i SD have HD tags on their programming.

WTVM-DT in Columbus, GA just started local HD newscasts, yet they do not have HD tags on their newscasts.

MULTIPLE stations have HD tags on their syndicated programming when they do not have the ability to offer syndicated HD programming at this time.

I have been in contact with several of the stations, but most have either replied back with a complete misunderstanding of what I was asking them to do, implied they were already doing this, or simply ignored my e-mails. I have gotten one person who works for two of the stations to actually attempt to correct this information.

Some may say it doesn't matter, but I'm on a mission to correct some of this data anyway. I just need to know someone who will listen...

~Alan

#530 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Oh yeah... speaking of logos:

I was recently told that DirecTV provides MyNetworkTV logos for their LiL provided MNT channels, but does DirecTV provide any MNT logos for the OTA versions?!

~Alan

#531 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

I got the impression from Directv that the issue was "space"...that they weren't updating-adding to the ota guide data info for the Advanced Program Guide. I have however noticed at least 1 addition, so its either space or they don't want to pay someone to do it.

#532 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

LA has WAY more OTA channels listed than most DMAs, I understand LA or one of the other DMAs that have a lot of OTA channels but they can at least update the other DMAs with fewer OTA channels

#533 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

LA has WAY more OTA channels listed than most DMAs, I understand LA or one of the other DMAs that have a lot of OTA channels but they can at least update the other DMAs with fewer OTA channels

I think the Guide info is on CONUS transponders, so I don't think it matters as to how many one market has compared to another.

As I stated, I'm good in my market except for one channel. One of my neighboring market's is complete, and the other is missing three.

I'm just interested in knowing if there is SOMEONE at Tribune who will actually take an interest in getting corrections to their data.

~Alan

#534 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

I think the Guide info is on CONUS transponders, so I don't think it matters as to how many one market has compared to another.

As I stated, I'm good in my market except for one channel. One of my neighboring market's is complete, and the other is missing three.

I'm just interested in knowing if there is SOMEONE at Tribune who will actually take an interest in getting corrections to their data.

~Alan

Posting on TMS' Zap2it FB page can't hurt. you can also send a message via their FB page.

#535 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Direct TV claimed they "Didn`t have the space" to add Cleveland WJW 8.2Antenna TV to the OTA database back almost 2 years ago (Even though they had enough space to add every other Antenna TV subchannel owned by Local TV LLC)

But suddenly last Fall, there appeared Cleveland WEWS 5.2 Live Well.
So I quit believing anything that Direct TV tells me.

What was last month, ION HD? Oops.
Blah, blah, blah. Soon, soon, soon.

#536 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

What was last month, ION HD? Oops.
Blah, blah, blah. Soon, soon, soon.

That was never announced as coming last month... heck, that was never announced as coming at all... aside from DirecTV accidentally listing it on their website and promptly taking it down, DirecTV has never mentioned it at all.

~Alan

#537 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'm more interested in getting the channels that I do have guide data for correct.

It took long enough, but Tribune is finally starting to make some corrections.

My local CBS had HD tags next to their local newscasts today.

My PBS now has HD tags on their programming...

My local FOX affiliate now has HD tags on their network programming only...

I'm still waiting on some other changes, but YAY!!!

~Alan

#538 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

In Youngstown, the AM21 still lists WKBN 27.3, which hasn`t had any programming on it since day one of the digital transition.
27.1 is CBS, 27.2 is Fox, and 27.3 is still nothing, (They recently boosted their power, so I thought something might happen, but it didn`t)
I wonder how many other open spaces are out there on AM21?

#539 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

Sometime between yesterday (10/22/12) late morning and this (10/23/12) morning, DirecTV changed the guide parameters on the local Seattle, WA, channel 22 subchannels designation, from 22-3 (and others) to 25-3, resulting in that channel no longer being received (there is no channel 25 in our DMA).

What is interesting is that channel 22 is owned by the FOX affiliate in town (channel 13) and ever since they first went up on uhf 18 digital to originally do HD broadcasts (since the last of the digital changeover they've moved everything back to VHF13) they have been using a subchan (22-2) to 'simulcast' the FOX HD programming (the station is the only Seattle affiliate to NOT have a broadcast tower in downtown Seattle), so it helped them 'cover' the main metro area.

That subchan has not been affected. But at least two other SD ones have been changed to the aforementioned 25-x designation.

This has been reported to DirecTV upper technical management today. We'll see how long it takes them to 'change things back' the way it was, where it worked for years.

Exactly how or why it got changed should, to the management, prove enlightening, IF they're really interested in 'no mistakes'.

#540 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I saw here on dbstalk in a topic I can no longer find that you can add secondary markets to your receiver to get OTA channels not on D*'s list. I really want to get local channel 35-1 here in Boise which is not on D*'s list so I added a neighboring market that also has a channel 35-1. The frequencies must be different since this didn't work for me although I did get a couple of other Boise local channels using this method, although they were on different channel numbers than what the channels are. How can I find a secondary market that has a channel on the same frequency as my local channel 35?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...