Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issue Thread

• Please log in to reply
611 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   bobkatF

bobkatF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Call Sign: WPME
Channels: 35-1 & 35-2 - Searching for Signal

WPME 35-1 was on channel 28, but has now moved to its permanent assignment at 35.

Could someone let DIRECTV know, so they can update their channel assignments?

I am including a response to me from Doug Fink, Manager WPXT, WPME.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting in touch. We've made some changes recently and are working on the best way to communicate to our viewers.

As you know, the conversion from analog to digital TV is underway. TV stations were assigned second channels on which to begin broadcasting digitally. WPME's second channel assignment was for channel 28. Two years ago we began broadcasting digitally on channel 28. Because the FCC wanted viewers to be able to find their existing stations, the digital technology allowed the stations to label their new digital channels by their existing analog numbers. The first time a digital TV or digital converter box is plugged in, it scans all frequencies and saves the ones with a strong enough signal. It then labels those signals by the old analog numbers. So for WPME, a digital TV would scan, find a strong signal on channel 28 and then save it and display it as channel 35 (WPXT is digital 43 even though it's labeled as channel 51, WCSH is digital channel 44 even though it's labeled as channel 6, etc.).

The final part of the digital conversion for some stations involves switching from the assigned digital channel back to the original analog frequency. That is what has been going on with WPME. After two years of being on digital channel 28, we are now back on digital channel 35. That is our final FCC-assigned frequency.

Over the last few weeks (and especially the last week) we have been on and off the air as the tower climbers move antennas, make connections, then the transmitter company has been switching our frequency.

Fortunately that is now done. We are operating on channel 35 with a stronger signal than we had on channel 28. You'll need to have your TV or converter box re-scan (or maybe simply delete channel 28 and add channel 35. Once you do you'll find our signal is there!

Doug Finck
General Manager WPXT-TV (The CW)
Station Manager WPME-TV (MyTV)
4 Ledgeview Drive
Westbrook, ME 04092
207.774.0051 x155
207.774.6849 (fax)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

Call Sign: New Jersey Network (PBS)
Channel: 23-1 thru 23-5
Issue: Incorrect guide data for all channels ever since NJN changed their subchannels last month.

#63 OFFLINE   tek428

tek428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

Since it was brought up in another thread about who to contact, I though I would started a dedicated thread for posting OTA Channel Guide Issues.

Please keep this thread dedicated to posting only issues without commentary.:)

I will start:

Call Sign: WOWK
Channel: 13-2
Issue: Channel missing from HR20 guide.

This was the first post in this thread, and this issue is still not corrected. :(

Channel 13-2 is not in the guide, nor is it on zap2it.com

#64 OFFLINE   sore_bluto

sore_bluto

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

Update: WYES-DT3 channel 12-3 (Create) is now available on HR20. All New Orleans digital subchannels are now available.
HR20-700 + OTA, HR20-700, HR24-200, R15-300, 5LNB Ka/Ku AU9-S

#65 OFFLINE   srrndhound

srrndhound

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

KTVZ Bend, OR

Update to Post 18

The DTV Guide now correctly shows Ch 39-1 FOX KFXO. :goodjob:
21-1 NBC and
21-2 CW are also shown correctly. Amazing!

Still incorrect:
21-3 listed as Telemundo, but broadcasting FOX
39-2 (a new entrant) listed as CW, but broadcasting Telemundo

My solution--leave these two off my favorites--so only correct channels appear.

#66 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

OTA Channel Missing in HR20-700 Guide (and maybe others)

Channel Call and Channel: WCAU 10.3
Outcome: 10.3 Channel doesn't exist in guide or setup.

Does D* read these this thread to find out what OTA channels are missing?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#67 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

OTA Channel Missing in HR20-700 Guide (and maybe others)

Channel Call and Channel: WHTM 27.3
Outcome: 27.3 Channel doesn't exist in guide or setup.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#68 OFFLINE   bcrab

bcrab

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

oops double post
HR22-100
HR20-100
HR20-700
AM-21

SWM-8
Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V665
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-37PX60U
Samsung PN63B550

#69 OFFLINE   bcrab

bcrab

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

Hi everyone:

Actually, if you take a look at the FCC data, you will see this station's COL is Boise. Not Twin Falls.

OBTW....The Channel number is 7.1 Not 7.7 as you have it above.
This would be Channel 7.2. Not Channel 7.8 as you have it above.

Just a couple corrections....

Cheers :)

Nope.

Shows up on my TV as 7.7 and 7.8. Don't know what to tell ya.
And yes I get KTVB in Twin Falls.

Cheers
HR22-100
HR20-100
HR20-700
AM-21

SWM-8
Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V665
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-37PX60U
Samsung PN63B550

#70 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

KTVZ Bend, OR

Update to Post 18

The DTV Guide now correctly shows Ch 39-1 FOX KFXO. :goodjob:
21-1 NBC and
21-2 CW are also shown correctly. Amazing!

Still incorrect:
21-3 listed as Telemundo, but broadcasting FOX
39-2 (a new entrant) listed as CW, but broadcasting Telemundo

My solution--leave these two off my favorites--so only correct channels appear.

I.m also in Bend and glad they finally fixed the station information. It seems that since the new channels are showing up I am getting a lot of breakup which we never had before, are you finding that as well? Are you able to get the new local CBS station? I have not found it yet - I know it's channel 7 on cable.

#71 OFFLINE   chicoatc

chicoatc

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hi everyone:

Actually, if you take a look at the FCC data, you will see this station's COL is Boise. Not Twin Falls.

OBTW....The Channel number is 7.1 Not 7.7 as you have it above.
This would be Channel 7.2. Not Channel 7.8 as you have it above.

Just a couple corrections....

Cheers :)

Boise, ID is the home of KTVB 7.1 and 7.2. KTVB runs KTFT analog channel 38 (NBC) in Twin Falls, ID. Here in Twin Falls, we do not get locals over the satellite, so we are left with OTA locals. In August, KTVB started to broadcast 7.7 and 7.8 in Twin Falls as the NBC affiliate, HD alternative to analog channel 38. KTVB/KTFT will not approve the D* waiver to receive the LA NBC channel. The only way for me to watch NBC is to get behind my TV and undo my coax antenna cable from the D* receiver and plug it directly into my TV, then change it back when I am done.

I don't know what FCC data says, I'm just telling you our situation here in Twin Falls.

#72 OFFLINE   timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

Boise, ID is the home of KTVB 7.1 and 7.2. KTVB runs KTFT analog channel 38 (NBC) in Twin Falls, ID. Here in Twin Falls, we do not get locals over the satellite, so we are left with OTA locals. In August, KTVB started to broadcast 7.7 and 7.8 in Twin Falls as the NBC affiliate, HD alternative to analog channel 38. KTVB/KTFT will not approve the D* waiver to receive the LA NBC channel. The only way for me to watch NBC is to get behind my TV and undo my coax antenna cable from the D* receiver and plug it directly into my TV, then change it back when I am done.

I don't know what FCC data says, I'm just telling you our situation here in Twin Falls.

You can split your antenna cable between your TV and STB to avoid swapping cables.

To all having this issue:

Check on tvfool.com, copy the chart to your clipboard and email it to zap2it.com to inform Tribune about your situation. Tribune is the guide provider to DTV. Also, as mentioned above, try contacting the local broadcaster's engineer and see if he can light a fire under Tribune to show the right info for your area.

It can take a little while, but these are the steps I did and it worked in our area.:)
Phil B.

I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue! :D

My Setup

#73 OFFLINE   Gilsway

Gilsway

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

WHA-TV
Madison, WI
Channels 21-1 to 21-5

I haven't checked in a few days, but only 21-1 to 21-3 were being displayed in the guide. All were shown in the antenna setup menu, but the two were missing from the guide.

#74 OFFLINE   srrndhound

srrndhound

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

I.m also in Bend and glad they finally fixed the station information. It seems that since the new channels are showing up I am getting a lot of breakup which we never had before, are you finding that as well? Are you able to get the new local CBS station? I have not found it yet - I know it's channel 7 on cable.

I'm having no breakup issues, and I have seen no change in signal quality over time with any of the locals. I didn't know that CBS local started. I checked my off-air tuner scan and it did not find it. I'm getting my CBS HD from LA (ch 391), so I'm happy.

Here are my AM21 readings:
Ch 3-1,2,3,4 = 95%
Ch 21-1,2 = 100%
Ch 39-1 = 80%
Ch 51-1 = 100%

#75 OFFLINE   bobemac

bobemac

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:45 AM

KENS Channel 5-1, in San Antonio, has been coming in with a strong signal OTA for over three years on both my Tivo 10-250, and my D HR 21-700 AM 21.
Two weeks ago I completely lost my 5-1 channel.

It seems the KENS engineers are ahead of the curve for the February 2009 conversion. They are sending a Multiplexed signal which combines all three of their stations.

San Antonio KENS is transmitting 5-1, 41-1, and 41-2 on the same signal.
My AM 21 can bring in a great picture on both 41 channels, but it is completely unable to recognize 5-1.

Channel 5-1 is the CBS affiliate, and the other two are national Hispanic
programming.

I tried four hard reboots, and OTA station rescans, but 5-1 is not available.

A signal strength test on all three channels gives me a 97 for all three.

According to the engineers at the station, this signal multiplexing
is cutting edge technology, and will be used by many more local stations
going forward.

The AVS site has a report that both D and E OTA receivers fail when
more than three channels are multiplexed on one signal.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

I'm dedicated to OTA reception, because of picture quality, and programming
variety.

#76 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

Traverse City market

Lost 7-1 and ability to tune... which is the HD digital signal for WPBN-TV. Channel 7

#77 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

Call Sign: WFUM
Channel: 28-1
Issue: WFUM has switched early from its temporary digital channel assignment (on channel 52) to its permanent digital assignment (on channel 28). Due to this change, my AM21 is unable to receive WFUM, until DirecTv resets 28-1 to correspond to physical channel 28.

#78 OFFLINE   Maverickster

Maverickster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

Call Sign: WGVK-DT
Channel: 52-1
Issue: Channel 52-1 is a simulcast of WGVU-DT (35-1), but is displaying the guide data from the 52-2 Subchannel (which is incorrect). The station is broadcasting both the content and the program info correctly (confirmed by switching to direct antenna input and checking the programming information), but the guide data appearing in the DirecTV guide for 52-1 is incorrect. Rather than showing the correct guide data identical to the WGVU-DT 35-1 guide data (which would be correct since it's a simulcast), it is showing the guide data from the 52-2 subchannel (which is incorrect).

#79 OFFLINE   o00kool

o00kool

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

Call Sign: KCWI (CW)
Channel: 23-1
Issue: Incorrectly listed in guide as KDMI-DT instead of KCWI. Other subchannels at 56-1, 34-1 come in correctly.

#80 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

If we are missing several subchannels in our area for OTA reception, would the reason lie with D* for not adding them in our IRD software or would the problem lie with Tribune for not providing guide data for them?

We are missing:
WHTM 27.3 Harrisburg, PA
WCAU 10.3 Philadelphia, PA

These extra subchannels are not in the OTA setup or IRD guide.

spam firewall