Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Guide Issues

• Please log in to reply
681 replies to this topic

#651 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Cleveland NBC WKYC 3.3 (weather radar) now appears on AM21.

Another channel added to the "We can`t add any channels" database.

Still no AM21 in Cleveland-Akron-Canton for

LAFF TV WEWS 5.3

Antenna TV WJW 8.2

GRIT TV WUAB 43.3

UniMas WQHS 61.2

GET TV WQHS 61.3

Escape TV WQHS 61.4

WVPX 23.4, 23.5, 23.6 (shopping)

Movies! WBNX 55.3

All on the air before WKYC weather radar 3.3

By running 5 secondary zips you can gain 9 of the 10 channels listed, with 5.3, 8.2, and 55.3 having the correct guide info. 23.4 is in the database for Cleveland. 43.3, 23.5, 23.6, 61.2, 61.3, and 61.4 will have incorrect guide info, but you will be able to view the channels. Run Nashville TN (37201) to get 5.3. Run Davenport IA (52801) to get 8.2. Run Wausau WI (54401) to get 43.3 and 55.3. Run Philadelphia PA (19101) to get 61.2-4. Run Louisville KY (40201) to get 23.5 and 23.6. I just noticed that 5.3 in Nashville is still carrying THIS. They are switching to LAFF, but that hasn't occurred, yet. So currently, 5.3 would have an incorrect listing, with it being changed in the near future.

Edited by coconut13, 16 July 2015 - 07:28 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#652 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

You don't need to worry about getting 23.5 and 23.6, it's just QVC and HSN carried by the local Ion station. QVC is available in HD via DirecTV, while even in SD, DirecTV's HSN looks a lot better than the bit-starved versions your Ion affiliate carries.

#653 OFFLINE   billraff

billraff

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

Admitting up front I'm not very good at this so hoping someone could guide me for setting up ota channels for the Austin, Tx area. There were a couple of new adds recently. I tried once before by adding a Detroit zip and the guide is wrong. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#654 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

Admitting up front I'm not very good at this so hoping someone could guide me for setting up ota channels for the Austin, Tx area. There were a couple of new adds recently. I tried once before by adding a Detroit zip and the guide is wrong. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

What channels in the Austin TX area, are you looking to add? It's pretty hard to determine how to help you without the specific channels that you want to add.

#655 OFFLINE   billraff

billraff

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

Thanks. I am most interested in seeing 7.2 Movies! and 7.3 Buzzr TV showing in the guide and hopefully with the correct time zone. Also 24.3 Justice Network.

36.2 COZI TV.

#656 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

Thanks. I am most interested in seeing 7.2 Movies! and 7.3 Buzzr TV showing in the guide and hopefully with the correct time zone. Also 24.3 Justice Network.

36.2 COZI TV.

24.3 and 36.2 are in D* database of channels for Austin TX and your AM21 will receive them. Your antenna signal has to be strong enough to be picked up, for the AM21 to receive them. Detroit MI (48201) works to get 7.2 and 7.3, albeit with the wrong guide info. No way to match zips to get the correct guides on those channels with the way D*'s database is currently configured. You should be able to view the channels with the wrong guide info. There are some ways to get (for instance) the Movies guide on the wrong channel. But it can be a complicated process and you just have to experiment with it.

Edited by coconut13, 24 July 2015 - 08:37 AM.

#657 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

Here's a process you can try. If you already have 7.2 and 7.3 established by running Detroit as a secondary zip, you will have to do a double reboot by unplugging the DVR for both reboots. This is the only way to truly clear the AM21. Then run Austin as your primary zip and Las Vegas NV (89101) as your secondary zip. Your AM21 will put 7.2 KLAS and 7.3 KLAS in your guide. 7.2 will have METV as it's guide. 7.3 will have MOVIES as its guide. One channel off for you, but you can at least reference the guide for MOVIES. No way to get the BUZZR guide. It's an entailed process, but it works if you want to spend some time monkeying around with your DVR/AM21.

Edited by coconut13, 24 July 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#658 OFFLINE   billraff

billraff

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking to 'future proof' this I'll just hook an antenna up to the TV directly and let it scan. I won't be able to record but I can watch by switching inputs. Thanks for the assistance.

#659 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

That works very well, too. It's just how you want to configure your system and how much you're willing to put up with in the operation of the system.

#660 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

Is anyone at DirecTV aware of the primary and secondary zip code bug on (at least the HR24 using an AM21) ?
When the two markets are merged into one list of channels you can select, some of the channels are missing and never appear in the guide. I'm not referring to sub-channels that are not in DirecTVs database, but channels that are available but 'disappear' after they are selected.

#661 OFFLINE   sticketfan

sticketfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:13 PM

How come my local cw in Vermont is available on dish but not directv? I also can't get it come up on my am21

#662 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:35 PM

How come my local cw in Vermont is available on dish but not directv? I also can't get it come up on my am21

If you're in Burlington, CW is on a subchannel of the local NBC affiliate. DirecTV will likely add it next time the contract for that channel is up for renewal.

5-2 is in the database for the AM21, are you picking up 5-1?

#663 OFFLINE   mpie314

mpie314

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationWaco, TX

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

Not really an issue but KWTX 10.2 was added to the guide in Waco, TX (channel 12) instead of having the generic CW channel. Doesn't look like the same quality HD as the OTA 10.2 channel but at least it was finally added.

#664 OFFLINE   sticketfan

sticketfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

If you're in Burlington, CW is on a subchannel of the local NBC affiliate. DirecTV will likely add it next time the contract for that channel is up for renewal.5-2 is in the database for the AM21, are you picking up 5-1?

. I get 5-1 and 5-2 but it won't show cw programming in the guide

#665 OFFLINE   ca1996

ca1996

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

I just bought an AM21 from 3rd party (since DTV doesn't sell the anymore).  I have it set up and I'm trying to find the right combination of primary and secondary zip codes.  I'm pretty close but I'm confused by a few things...

When people say "double reboot" (to clear out the AM21 completely), what exactly does that mean.  I've seen references to unplugging the DVR to do the double reboot.  So does that mean:

1. Unplug the DVR

2. Unplug the AM21

3. Plug in the AM21, wait a minute for it to reboot

4. Unplug the AM21

5. Plug in the AM21 and the DVR?

If not, could someone clarify?  Thanks.

Also, what order to the secondary channels (and their guides) overlay each other (if the have the same channel number), FIFO or LIFO?  I have 4 total zips to use to get everything I need but I'm having trouble figuring out which order to put them in via multiple initial setups.

Thanks.

#666 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,842 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:23 AM

A double-reboot is done by restarting a receiver twice within 30 min. of one another which flushes the guide cache. Easiest shortcut procedure for a D-R is to go the the Smart Search menu and do a keyword search on the expression "CLEARMYBOX", then wait for the receiver to begin the D-R itself instead of pulling the plug or using the Red-Button-Reset.

As for entering multiple zip codes in the AM21 OTA setup, start by entering the code for the largest number of stations as the primary and the next largest as the secondary one. Then after you complete the first setup and make sure all available channels that are carried in DIRECTV's database for the first two zip codes appear in the guide. Run the OTA setup again on the top of the initial one and keep the same primary zip code, but enter the third largest code as the secondary. Do the same procedure for the fourth zip.

Remember though that the AM21 was really designed for just two zips. The method of adding more was a discovered hack. So should there be a receiver reboot for any reason, only the initial primary and secondary zip code channels will be retained in the channel lineup. The channels for the third and fourth zips will have to be re-entered again by the setup procedure just described.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#667 OFFLINE   ca1996

ca1996

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

A double-reboot is done by restarting a receiver twice within 30 min. of one another which flushes the guide cache. Easiest shortcut procedure for a D-R is to go the the Smart Search menu and do a keyword search on the expression "CLEARMYBOX", then wait for the receiver to begin the D-R itself instead of pulling the plug or using the Red-Button-Reset.

As for entering multiple zip codes in the AM21 OTA setup, start by entering the code for the largest number of stations as the primary and the next largest as the secondary one. Then after you complete the first setup and make sure all available channels that are carried in DIRECTV's database for the first two zip codes appear in the guide. Run the OTA setup again on the top of the initial one and keep the same primary zip code, but enter the third largest code as the secondary. Do the same procedure for the fourth zip.

Remember though that the AM21 was really designed for just two zips. The method of adding more was a discovered hack. So should there be a receiver reboot for any reason, only the initial primary and secondary zip code channels will be retained in the channel lineup. The channels for the third and fourth zips will have to be re-entered again by the setup procedure just described.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Thanks.  The problem I was having was figuring out the right order to add the secondaries.  For instance, I'm in the Denver market.  Our zip contains 3 of the 8 channels I want -- 2.2 KOTI (This TV), 6.3 KRMA (Create), and 20.2 KTVD (Me TV).  Antenna TV is 31.2 in my market but is missing from the Denver DTV guide, but it is in the DTV database as 31.2 in Medford OR. 

The next best set of channels I could find was NYC, which has LAFF on the right channel for me (7.3).  They also have some missing channel numbers I need (4.2 and 25.3), but with wrong guide info.  I can't find guide info for Decades on 4.2 anywhere (even in Miami, Minneapolis, Boston, and Fargo which are the other Decades 4.2 markets).  Or COZI on 25.3.  So I'll just have to live with those 2 with wrong guide info.

The problem was that NYC also has it's own 31.2 for the wrong network and it was trumping the good 31.2 from Medford.  But after lots of trial and error I finally figured out the order.  I had to load Denver (primary) and Medford (secondary), then follow it up with NYC as the 2nd secondary.  Medford 31.2 stuck that way, so it must be loaded in FIFO manner.

I'm still searching for a 28.4 somewhere (doesn't matter the network since it's a local channel) just to activate the channel number.  But at least I have all the others with a good guide on 5 of them.

There's one other big problem I'm having though.  Even though I do the EDIT to check the channel numbers to display, I still end up with tons of extras in the guide, and one that fails to show up in the guide.  I can't figure out why the EDIT list and the channels appearing in the guide aren't syncing up.  I've tried changing the guide filter for both ALL CHANNELS and CHANNELS I GET, but I still can't get 7.3 to show up (even though it's X'd in the EDIT list).

Any ideas?

#668 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

Nashville TN (37201) would give you 28.4. On the problem with a lot of extra channels. Your antenna is maybe picking up translator (repeater) stations in Colorado. As I know Co. has many of them. This might be causing your problems. Translator stations are stations broadcasting the same channel on different RF channels. If you're  picking up 2 feeds of one channel, this would put a lot of extra channels in your guide and might block some channels that you should receive for this reason.

Edited by coconut13, 02 November 2015 - 01:04 PM.

#669 OFFLINE   ca1996

ca1996

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Nashville TN (37201) would give you 28.4. On the problem with a lot of extra channels. Your antenna is maybe picking up translator (repeater) stations in Colorado. As I know Co. has many of them. This might be causing your problems. Translator stations are stations broadcasting the same channel on different RF channels. If you're  picking up 2 feeds of one channel, this would put a lot of extra channels in your guide and might block some channels that you should receive for this reason.

Cool. Thank you!  That got me 28.4.

I managed to get 7.3 to appear in the guide this time too.  There were 2 of them showing up in the EDIT list so I tried the other one and it seems to work.

All those extra channels were showing up in the guide (like 6.1 and 6.2 even though I'd only check 6.3 in the EDIT list), but I ended up using a custom favs list in the guide to weed them out.

So all is good now. I have all 8 channel numbers I was looking for, and 5 of them have the correct guide info. Probably as good as I could hope. 

#670 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

Yes, I have a lot of duplicate channels also. I have to leave ALL the channels checked on the AM21 list of channels and create a custom list on the DVR. This lets me keep the channels I want. I have 2 or 3 of the same channel, because of translator stations. For instance, I have three 5.3 channels (each with a different RF channel). If I don't leave all 3 checked on the AM21 list, my DVR won't show any of them. So if you leave all the channels checked on your AM21 list, they should show on your DVR and you weed them out with a custom list on the DVR.

Edited by coconut13, 02 November 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#671 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:52 AM

It is in there, try again. If you want MeTV 5-3, add the zip for Westlaco TX and their MeTV guide will show up. It is correct 95% of the time (only exceptions I know of are the 10pm news and ACC Network games.) That zip will also give you CBFT Montréal on 2-1 if you receive it OTA. The guide will show Spanish programming from a Mexican channel but tuning there will be SRC CBFT.

Edited by ejbvt, 19 November 2015 - 12:57 AM.

TV: Directv HR44/SL5/AM21, Terk HDTVo, Comcast Broadcast, LG 42" 3D 1080p, Samsung 1080p.
Internet: Xfinity/Comcast 
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6, Verizon
Other: Denon AVR591, Panasonic 3D BluRay, Panasonic DVD w/tuner, Phillips VCR

#672 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

As suggested, the TPN Map Excel now includes "DMA Prime Zip Code" information on the OTA tab.  I hope this helps!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

#673 OFFLINE   techguy88

techguy88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:21 AM

Wondering if someone could help me on this. I just recently got two AM21N from a friend. I've been reading on the thread about the issue where if the Tribune ID is higher than a certain number then a digital sub-channel won't appear. My primary market is the Huntington/Charleston, WV DMA (Zip 25570). I'm looking for a way to get the following digital sub-channels on my guide

Station: WCHS

Digital: 41

Virtual: 8

Subchannels needed: 8.3 Grit TV | 8.4 GetTV

Station: WVAH

Digital: 19

Virtual: 11

Subchannels needed: 11.2 ZUUS Country | 11.3 Comet

If there is a way to get the correct guide data for 8.3/8.4/11.3 would be much appreciated if not then a secondary zip for the extra 4 sub-channels would work.

#674 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,367 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:09 AM

Your best bet would be to look at this list and find a market that 1) Has stations using both 19 & 41 and 2) Those stations both have Digital Sub Channels of .3 & .4 and use it as a secondary market. 

But realize no matter what, the Guide data won't be correct.

If you don't need to record from them, your TV may be a better option to receive them.

My Setup

#675 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

Wondering if someone could help me on this. I just recently got two AM21N from a friend. I've been reading on the thread about the issue where if the Tribune ID is higher than a certain number then a digital sub-channel won't appear. My primary market is the Huntington/Charleston, WV DMA (Zip 25570). I'm looking for a way to get the following digital sub-channels on my guide

Station: WCHS

Digital: 41

Virtual: 8

Subchannels needed: 8.3 Grit TV | 8.4 GetTV

Station: WVAH

Digital: 19

Virtual: 11

Subchannels needed: 11.2 ZUUS Country | 11.3 Comet

If there is a way to get the correct guide data for 8.3/8.4/11.3 would be much appreciated if not then a secondary zip for the extra 4 sub-channels would work.

If you don't care about any correct guides for any of the 4 channels. Run, Duluth MN (55802). This would give you 8.3, 8.4, 11.2, and 11.3 with all 4 having incorrect guide info, by running only 1 secondary zip. If you run Toledo OH (43601) and Idaho Falls ID (83401) you can get all 4 channels with 1 guide, the GRIT guide on 11.3. This would require running 2 secondary zips, but you at least get the GRIT guide into your DVR/AM21 albeit on 11.3 instead of 8.3. There is no way I can see to get the COMET or GET guides into your DVR/AM21. There is one other possible way to get some guides into your DVR/AM21. IF, your TV antenna receives stations on different channels not in the database for D* you can run zip codes to get those channels into your system. For instance, I see 27.1 and 27.2 RF 27 and 50.1-50.4 RF50 for your DMA. If you receive those channels with your antenna, it is possible to run some more secondary zip codes to get those channels and maybe matching a guide (COMET or GET) you're looking for to them. I don't know how many (if any) channels you receive that are not in the database for D*, other than the stated channels above.

Edited by coconut13, 11 January 2016 - 10:35 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...