Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH/DIRECTV Applaud ... Subcommittee Vote On State Video Tax Fairness Act

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scuba_tim

scuba_tim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

DISH Network and DIRECTV Applaud House Judiciary Subcommittee Vote On State Video Tax Fairness Act

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. & EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 24, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- "DISH Network and DIRECTV applaud Chairwoman Sanchez and all the members of the House Judiciary's Commercial and Administrative Law subcommittee who this morning overwhelmingly approved H.R. 3679, the State Video Tax Fairness Act.
"Today's vote was a victory for all consumers, satellite and cable alike, who want to choose their video provider based on price, quality and customer service not based on which one has a lower state sales tax. The bill, sponsored by Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-MI) and Rep. Chris Cannon (R-UT), allows states to tax any pay TV service so long as the tax is equal across all providers. DIRECTV and DISH Network look forward to working with a growing list of supporters to enact this bipartisan, common sense bill into law this year."

http://www.marketwat...FA20}&dist=hppr

HR44 - 5 tuners does it for now

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

DISH Network and DIRECTV Applaud House Judiciary Subcommittee Vote On State Video Tax Fairness Act

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. & EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 24, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- "DISH Network and DIRECTV applaud Chairwoman Sanchez and all the members of the House Judiciary's Commercial and Administrative Law subcommittee who this morning overwhelmingly approved H.R. 3679, the State Video Tax Fairness Act.
"Today's vote was a victory for all consumers, satellite and cable alike, who want to choose their video provider based on price, quality and customer service not based on which one has a lower state sales tax. The bill, sponsored by Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-MI) and Rep. Chris Cannon (R-UT), allows states to tax any pay TV service so long as the tax is equal across all providers. DIRECTV and DISH Network look forward to working with a growing list of supporters to enact this bipartisan, common sense bill into law this year."

http://www.marketwat...FA20}&dist=hppr

So...will the Florida state legislature lower the tax on satellite or raise the tax on cable if this is passed. :)

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,035 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

I assume that all areas will increase taxes on all services to the same rate as the highest one currently in the each state... Lets face it, no state is going to lower any taxes... but they are more than happy to raise a rate...

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:23 PM

Dang ... to me this reads that we can expect to start seeing additional taxes on our DIRECTV bills. :(

#5 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

they can't put "right of way" fees on a service that doesn't use ther public right of way......
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,593 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:49 PM

Who owns the air over the city/county/state? Can it be taxed? :)

#7 OFFLINE   scuba_tim

scuba_tim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

I really wasn't aware what was going on till someone here pointed out that Ch 203 had this notice on it. Then there's a link to this website: http://www.stopsatellitetax.com/ for more information.

I'm not sure they'd raise cable tax to match satellite, might cause a bit of an uproar from the tethered people. Living in NC myself, it's nice to see some action.

#8 OFFLINE   scuba_tim

scuba_tim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

Who owns the air over the city/county/state? Can it be taxed? :)

Now you're just opening a big ol can of worms :)

Though something that's becoming a thing where I live now, is air property rights, or the right to sell space above your property (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Air_rights).

I like this part: To whoever owns the land, shall belong the earth to its center and up to the heavens

#9 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

You think a satallite tax is bad, check this out.

http://www.turnoffyo...tional/bbc.html
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,593 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

I really wasn't aware what was going on till someone here pointed out that Ch 203 had this notice on it. Then there's a link to this website: http://www.stopsatellitetax.com/ for more information.

Channel 211 on DISH. Right between the CSPANs. :)

I like this part: To whoever owns the land, shall belong the earth to its center and up to the heavens

The trouble is the satellite isn't straight up, so I have to aim my dish over the neighbor's land and through their airspace. How can I do that without permission? Perhaps the government needs to step in, seize the property over my neighbor's land as eminent domain, and tax me for the use of it. :D

That's how it works for the cable/power poles that run on a utility easement on my property ... even though I don't subscribe to cable (and don't even have a drop from the line to my house ... any more). Someone took a 10ft wide swath of land away from me to allow utility companies to deliver services to my neighbors.

And it's generally OK because my neighbors lost 10ft of their land to provide service to me! :)

There are communities that limit locations of satellite dishes and other construction, even the height and size of signs, controlling just how high the "property" one owns can be used. Sadly it isn't too much of a stretch to consider the sky "right of way" for sunlight, star gazing and satellite delivery. :D

#11 OFFLINE   liverpool

liverpool

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

You think a satallite tax is bad, check this out.

http://www.turnoffyo...tional/bbc.html

I would gladly pay the british tv licence here in the states if I could receive the bbc in its british form. I am paying Directv $1200 a year for a product that is far inferior. I spent 40 years watching the BBC and nothing here in the states can compare.

#12 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

So...will the Florida state legislature lower the tax on satellite or raise the tax on cable if this is passed. :)

I believe that Florida taxes both satellite and cable the same, so this may have no effect at all in Florida.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#13 OFFLINE   scuba_tim

scuba_tim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

I believe that Florida taxes both satellite and cable the same, so this may have no effect at all in Florida.

Not according to http://www.stopsatellitetax.com/. They claiim over 50% higher tax on satellite folks compared to cable.

#14 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

Not according to http://www.stopsatellitetax.com/. They claiim over 50% higher tax on satellite folks compared to cable.

The letter referring to Florida on the site is dated 2005. I BELIEVE that it has been fixed since then. It used to be that local municipalities charged their own "fees" for right of way, etc. A couple of years ago these "fees" were eliminated and all "fees" were rolled over into a state tax that is paid by both cable and satellite, with a portion of taxes on both being handed back to the municipalities. Of course, this means that the satellite viewer is now paying a tax to use the right of way throughout communities where they are not using these right of ways.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#15 OFFLINE   scuba_tim

scuba_tim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

huh... thanks for the update. Guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet. :D

#16 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

This blows. I don't get charged for tax with D* here, but do with comcrap. So guess now we'll start getting charged tax with D* as well. Where did I win?
°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================

#17 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

The bill, ............. allows states to tax any pay TV service so long as the tax is equal across all providers.

How far does the word "state" apply? IOW, can my county that now taxes cable, start taxing satellite as well?

As for the air over your property, there is a provision of some law that gives blanket waivers to airplanes etc. IIRC, so guy in Montana tried to collect rent from airlines for them flying over his property. Court said no.

I would think there would be a similar provision for radio waves or somebody would have tried to collect rent for waves over their property years ago.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#18 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

i just don't get how this is good. cable is taxed to hell, now they will be taxing DBS to hell?
nothing like having way too much sports programming . . .

(see profile for equipment)

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   KevinRS

KevinRS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:14 AM

i just don't get how this is good. cable is taxed to hell, now they will be taxing DBS to hell?

you'd have to look at a cable bill in detail, as much of the "taxes" aren't.

there are franchise fees, surcharges, etc.

#20 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

NO TV = A BETTER LIFE.

Great vandalism for those who are Anti-TV people or Anti-TV christians.

I wonder if Congress is planning on doing the same thing. If you purchase or watch TV without a licence, you can be fined and/or be put in jail.

spam firewall