Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH/DIRECTV Applaud ... Subcommittee Vote On State Video Tax Fairness Act

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

I would gladly pay the british tv licence here in the states if I could receive the bbc in its british form. I am paying Directv $1200 a year for a product that is far inferior. I spent 40 years watching the BBC and nothing here in the states can compare.

Since I have 6 color TV's, that would be $1,200 a year just for BBC. :nono2: If this was a requirement in the US, that $1,200 would be going to PBS. The TV manufactures must hate that law because it has to drag down TV sales in the UK.

WOW I can see the TV Tax Police. :eek2: :rolleyes:
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   d max82

d max82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

The letter referring to Florida on the site is dated 2005. I BELIEVE that it has been fixed since then. It used to be that local municipalities charged their own "fees" for right of way, etc. A couple of years ago these "fees" were eliminated and all "fees" were rolled over into a state tax that is paid by both cable and satellite, with a portion of taxes on both being handed back to the municipalities. Of course, this means that the satellite viewer is now paying a tax to use the right of way throughout communities where they are not using these right of ways.

sorry Richard your incorrect here. From http://dor.myflorida...l#comservicetax

"The tax includes a state rate of 6.8 percent plus a gross receipts tax rate of 2.37 percent, for a combined state communications services tax rate of 9.17 percent. Each local taxing jurisdiction may add its own local tax rate on communications services.

Direct-to-home satellite services are taxed at a total rate of 13.17 percent. Local tax does not apply to these satellite services."

What the bill last year did was allowed the state to autorize cable cos to do business in particular areas, eliminating the franchise agreements between local municipalities and the the cable cos. This was done to increase competition and eliminate "pass through" fees that fund PEG channels. Instead of time consuming and expensive consessions to local government for right-of-way, the new state application is a single page application with a $10,000 filing fee to the state. It had no effect on DBS services unfortunately.

spam firewall