Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

sidecar or FTA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 05:46 PM

Woohoo, raise and promotion for me and the wife has secured employment. So it's time to do our part to help the economic recovery. Does anyone know of any good deals on a sidecar? The best I've seen is low 100's plus shipping. NPS had a deal where if you subscribed to Showtime for a year, you could get a sidecar for $50, is that still available?

I don't have a vc2 cage and am thinking of getting a sidecar to sub to a premium channel, then feed that channel through the house. Are the analog feeds, for say Showtime, duplicated in digital or would I need to pick an analog descrambler cage too? And can one still sub to just one channel on BUD?

Alternatively, what's up there in FTA for someone not really interested in foreign programming or sports? I love live news feeds and wild feeds.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 12:36 PM

Originally posted by lee635
I don't have a vc2 cage and am thinking of getting a sidecar to sub to a premium channel, then feed that channel through the house. Are the analog feeds, for say Showtime, duplicated in digital or would I need to pick an analog descrambler cage too? And can one still sub to just one channel on BUD?

Yes, ALL the analog premium channels are duplicated in digital.
Yes, you can sub to just one channel.

Check w/NPS to see if they still offer the deal on the sidecar - if a sidecar suites your needs, it's probably the best deal out there.

#3 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 08:43 PM

I wonder how many more FTA we can expect after all of these new satelites go up along with SES Americom and Rainbow R/L DBS starting services?

#4 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 05:57 PM

I read sometime ago that an outfit was going to transition many of the currently free foreign channels over to a subscription service. Apparently, that's how it is in other parts of the world. Anyway, there certainly are many FTA foreign channels that want to be FTA for their own reasons.

I'm thinking sidecar but will have to sweettalk the DW into another gadget... ;)
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 10:44 PM

Perhaps they want to be FTA because they get more viewers that way and make their money from advertisements. I wish there were more english speaking channels that were FTA. I am surprised that there are not anymore than there are now FTA to get their money from advertising, I figure that would be the way to go for some stations. There would be a market for it I think.

spam firewall