Status of the DirecTV-12 (D12) Satellite:
- D12 Launch Info:
- Construction by Boeing expected to be completed by October 8th, 2009
- Launch expected between 10/15/2009-11/14/2009 (per Schedule-S)
- Launch service provider will be International Launch Services (ILS)
- Via a Proton-M/Briz-M rocket
- From Baikonaur (same as D10)
- Target location is 103° W.L. (102.765°)
- D12 CONUS:
- 16 transponders (TP9-TP24) of national bandwidth for MPEG4 HD from 103°
- Each transponder supporting 5 HD channels for a total capacity of 80 national HD channels
- Within the Ka-Hi (19890-20200 MHz) frequency range
- Spaceway-1 (SW1) is currently allocated the entire Ka-Hi (19700-20200) frequency range, therefore it's expected that SW1 and D12 will now share the range, with SW1 using the lower end, and D12 using the higher end
- D12 Local-in-Local (LiL):
- 10 transponders (TP15-TP24) of spot beam bandwidth for MPEG4 HD LiL from 103°
- Supporting 49 spot beams
- Within the Ka-Lo (18600-18800 MHz) frequency range (same as D10)
- The spot beam bandwidth is for in-orbit redundancy or replacement for the spot beam capability of either D10 or D11 (if D12 were moved to 99°)
- D12 RB-2A:
- Named RB-2A for "BSS" payload on D12
- 18 transponders (TP1-TP18) of spot beam bandwidth for "niche services" from 103°
- Supporting 4 spot beams to the "western U.S."
- Within the BSS (17345-17700 MHz) frequency range
- "This payload will allow DirecTV to begin providing commercial service in the 17/24 GHz BSS band before any other satellite operator in the world, making use of these valuable spectrum/orbital resources mere months after receiving its first license in the band".
- 02/28/2008: DirecTV Investor Meeting Presentation:
"Will launch D12 because the growing importance of HD warrants its use to expand national capacity. Launch expected late 2009. Capacity for more than 200 HD national channels"
Pages 17-18: http://investor.dire...InvestorDay.pdf
- 11/07/2008: DirecTV mention of "Proton" for D12 during an informal session. Also, "2009" mentioned.
- 01/07/2009: Chase Carey (DirecTV CEO) mentioned during a Citi Conference that D12 will be launched "middle" of 2009.
- 01/26/2009: "Late September: A Proton to launch the DirecTV 12 communications satellite from Baikonur."
- 01/28/2009: Launch listed on Boeing website:
- 02/26/2009: 2008 DirecTV Annual Report:
"With the launch of our DIRECTV 12 satellite later this year, we will gain another 50% increase in our national HD capacity to over 200 channels while offering local HD channels to more than 92% of households."
"DIRECTV 12 is planned for launch in the second half of 2009. DIRECTV 12 will operate from our 101° WL orbital location after successful completion of in-orbit testing."
Note: We've since found the 101° reference to be incorrect.
- 8/7/2009, 8/11/2009: FCC Filings:
www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/bss/factsheets/702/dtv10-11-12_factsheet.pdfTwo Line Element (TLE) Format:
A NORAD two-line element (TLE) set consists of two 69-character lines of data which describe in detail a spacecraft's trajectory around the earth. Calculated and published by the U.S. government regularly.
Current D12 TLE & Orbital History:
Awaiting Launch in 2009Tracking (Pictorial View):
Contributors to the information above: Sixto, LameLefty
Edited by Sixto, 11 August 2009 - 09:30 PM.