Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sixto Report-D12 Status: Pre-Launch

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1235 replies to this topic

#1181 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,971 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I don't really care which sat they come from, just as long as they make their way down to my dish, into my DVRs and onto my screen!

It's frustrating because the DMA an hour north of me (Syracuse, NY) and an hour south of me (Scranton, PA) both have HD LIL, but nothing here in Binghamton, NY. Plus I used to live in Buffalo, NY up until last summer, so we had HD LIL in there, so I know first hand how nice it is.

Out here in the West, you can go more than an hour in any direction and you are still in the same DMA :D

#1182 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

I think I saw today [lunch time] how a b-747 with d-12 took off Moffett Field.
If a crew will post picture in their blog as before I could compare pictures.

Seen latest news about Nimiq 5 at ILS site, I'm thinking I saw that sat did start moving out of CA.

#1183 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

Nothing major here but is related to D12 today:

http://licensing.fcc...ent_key=-174546

For earth stations E090076(SES-MOD-INTR2009-03335) and E070027 (SES-MOD-INTR2009-03334).
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#1184 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Alright, I've read a bit of this thread and I understand none of it. I'm going to ask a simple questions and I apologize in advance if it has been asked a hundred times before. I am a new customer with a 5LNB slimline (hooked up as 3LNB because I only need one receiver). I make that statement not even knowing what it means.

Will anything have to be done to my dish in order for it to pick up this new satellite?

I assume not because that would be an incredible pain to basically realign/modify every dish in the country. So, I know it is a silly question...but I was curious.

#1185 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

As far as we know ... not yet seeing the stack plan ... any receiver that currently gets HD channels from D10, D11, SW1, and SW2 should be able to receive channels from D12 after a receiver firmware update.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#1186 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

Out here in the West, you can go more than an hour in any direction and you are still in the same DMA :D

Hey I drove over 3 hours and I'm still in the same spot. Oh wait, that something else :lol::lol:
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#1187 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

I am a new customer with a 5LNB slimline (hooked up as 3LNB because I only need one receiver). I make that statement not even knowing what it means.

Both the 3-LNB and 5-LNB versions of the Slimline dish receive the newer satellites that carry DirecTV's HD programming. Does not matter which you have in most cases (and it has nothing to do with how many receivers you have).

Will anything have to be done to my dish in order for it to pick up this new satellite?

As Sixto noted, it is very likely that current HD setups will be able to get programming from D12 when it is placed in service. It really would not make sense for DirecTV to put up a (very expensive) satellite that would require new equipment to receive from it, so soon after having done just exactly that with the mpeg4 conversion.

#1188 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

As far as we know ... not yet seeing the stack plan ... any receiver that currently gets HD channels from D10, D11, SW1, and SW2 should be able to receive channels from D12 after a receiver firmware update.

There is no reason at all that D12 would require a change in the stack plan. The stack plan already includes the entire 500mhz blocks of both right and left polarization from Ka Hi at 103. Granted most are getting little to no signal there from spaceway 2 because it's providing a limited number of spots but the space is already reserved so to speak.

I expect a firmware update may be needed to tell the receivers the new pattern for the transponders there since the conus transponders from d12 are a different size than what Spaceway 2 uses. It will also probably change the 103c signal strength page to include all the new tps and pretty much fill up the page.

#1189 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

There is no reason at all that D12 would require a change in the stack plan. The stack plan already includes the entire 500mhz blocks of both right and left polarization from Ka Hi at 103. Granted most are getting little to no signal there from spaceway 2 because it's providing a limited number of spots but the space is already reserved so to speak.

I expect a firmware update may be needed to tell the receivers the new pattern for the transponders there since the conus transponders from d12 are a different size than what Spaceway 2 uses. It will also probably change the 103c signal strength page to include all the new tps and pretty much fill up the page.

Yep, fully agree.

#1190 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

I expect a firmware update may be needed to tell the receivers the new pattern for the transponders there since the conus transponders from d12 are a different size than what Spaceway 2 uses.

We may actually already have the proper firmware, but not know it. :D:lol:

(It could just be inactive at this time)

In any case, there is plenty of time to push out an update prior to D12 activation, if something more is needed.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1191 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

Both the 3-LNB and 5-LNB versions of the Slimline dish receive the newer satellites that carry DirecTV's HD programming. Does not matter which you have in most cases (and it has nothing to do with how many receivers you have).

As Sixto noted, it is very likely that current HD setups will be able to get programming from D12 when it is placed in service. It really would not make sense for DirecTV to put up a (very expensive) satellite that would require new equipment to receive from it, so soon after having done just exactly that with the mpeg4 conversion.

We may actually already have the proper firmware, but not know it. :D:lol:

(It could just be inactive at this time)

In any case, there is plenty of time to push out an update prior to D12 activation, if something more is needed.

Thank you all!

#1192 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

Sixto has a very nice thread going here.

These are the complete spot contours for D12 operating at max power. Reception is probably good out to the white or pink contours ( low 50's dbw) when operating at max power.

But, normally the power will be dialed down to match the market.

Attached Thumbnails

• Directv 12 103W Series A1 Spot Beams.jpg
  • Directv 12 103W Series A2 Spot Beams.jpg
  • Directv 12 103W Series A3 Spot Beams.jpg
  • Directv 12 103W Series A4 Spot Beams.jpg

#1193 ONLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,679 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

These are the complete spot contours for D12 operating at max power. Reception is probably good out to the white or pink contours ( low 50's dbw) when operating at max power.

Those pics are awesome - I don't think I've ever seen the spot beam coverage represented like this!

#1194 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

Very nice! Looks like 48 spots. Thought there were 49. Outstanding work!

#1195 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,059 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

Great stuff. :up:

Don't know where you got the info, but we appreciate it!

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#1196 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

Seen similar maps generated by nelson61 at SG ;).

#1197 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

...these are the complete spot contours for D12 operating at max power. Reception is probably good out to the white or pink contours ( low 50's dbw) when operating at max power....

Spear61,
These are some of the best beam contour maps I have seen. Can you share your source? It would be great to have a standing set of accurate maps maintained here for all the sats!

Thanks!

#1198 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

The last image has the El Paso spotbeam apparently centered on the Big Bend. I highly doubt that. :-) The pattern for Juneau in that same image is also interesting.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#1199 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

WOW! You can really appreciate the intricacies of providing spot-beam coverage to Hawaii!

~Alan<~~~~~~~Who probably won't be receiving HD-LIL off of D12, but may receive it from another satellite after a neighboring market's locals are transferred to D12....

#1200 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

I figured the spot map was created by taking some info from the FCC doc and entering it into a map program, but now not so sure. Haven't yet found any data that matches. :)

spam firewall