Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I just broke my DirecTV HD receiver - thinking of jumping to Cox...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 10:14 AM

OK, I put my SAT-HD100 on top of my new TV and as I turned around it crashed off onto the tile. Cracked wide open. :mad: Shoot, now what do I do... I've got two choices. I can go back to the store and buy a new DirecTV HD receiver or I can call Cox and sign up for their HD service. If I can get the DirecTV HD receiver cheap enough I'll stay, but Cox is willing to switch me for free and "rent" me a HD Box for only $2 for the first 2 years...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest_boba_*

Guest_boba_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2003 - 01:44 PM

Contact your homeowners insurance and see if your covered for the loss. Probably not but it was an accident.

#3 OFFLINE   AJ2086

AJ2086

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 04:29 PM

Dont go to cable, thats the devil talking. Why not go and buy a new one at like Best Buy or Circuit City then pacakge the broke one up and return it to Best Buy in the new ones box? I do this all the time with other stuff will the numbers on the converter make a problem of this type of scheme?
AJ

XM Customer Since: 12/28/02
D* Customer Since: 2/6/03
Tivo User Since: 11/12/03

#4 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 04:46 PM

The cost of the reciever is probaby much less than the deductable on insurance. They usually are around 1000 or even 1% of the policy amount.

#5 OFFLINE   mjz

mjz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 05:23 PM

Is the box dead? As in will not power up? What kind of specific damage did it sustain--I might be intrested in it to see if I can repair it.

#6 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Topic Starter
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:01 PM

Its totally dead. I'm sure the power supply is working, but the circuit board is cracked. It fell about 8 feet to the tile floor. It cracked the tile it fell on too. :mad:

Sony doesn't make this receiver anymore and I can't even find it online. They have a new version of it, but its really expensive.... I could have gotten one with my new HDTV, but I said no and took $50 off the price of the TV instead. In hindsight, that has a huge mistake....

#7 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Topic Starter
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:04 PM

Originally posted by AJ2086
Why not go and buy a new one at like Best Buy or Circuit City

But then I'm out at least $500... Cox is willing to almost give one to me. That is my problem. I'm going to showcase entertainment (a local high end retailer) to see a demo this weekend so if the quality is as good as DirecTV I might just take them up on it. I'm luck in my part of Scottsdale that the cable quality is so high. I already use Cox for High Speed Internet and Phone so why not just get all 3 from them. :shrug:

#8 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Topic Starter
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:05 PM

Originally posted by mjz
Is the box dead? As in will not power up? What kind of specific damage did it sustain--I might be intrested in it to see if I can repair it.

My wife works with someone at Intel who thinks he can fix it. I doubt it, but I'm going to give him a try. If he doesn't destroy it, I'll send it to you and you can have it....

#9 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:14 PM

Why not go and buy a new one at like Best Buy or Circuit City then pacakge the broke one up and return it to Best Buy in the new ones box? I do this all the time with other stuff will the numbers on the converter make a problem of this type of scheme?

WTF? Because that would be stealing. Geeze. Why should Best Buy or Circuit City pay for his mistake. If you can afford to be buying expensive toys you can afford to buy them not steal them.

#10 OFFLINE   AJ2086

AJ2086

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:58 PM

Its not stealing, it is a form of trading. And they wouldnt be paying for his mistake they wouldnt pay for anything and it wasnt a mistake it was an accident. If it was a mistake it would have meant he decided to delibretly throw the box to the ground. If you read the post it fell off of the TV. And to James why dont you look into E*, they are supposedly coming out with more HD content soon.
AJ

XM Customer Since: 12/28/02
D* Customer Since: 2/6/03
Tivo User Since: 11/12/03

#11 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:22 PM

Its not stealing, it is a form of trading. And they wouldnt be paying for his mistake they wouldnt pay for anything and it wasnt a mistake it was an accident. If it was a mistake it would have meant he decided to delibretly throw the box to the ground. If you read the post it fell off of the TV. And to James why dont you look into E*, they are supposedly coming out with more HD content soon.

I am sorry to tell you AJ that is out and out theft. Buying something to replace a broken item and then returning the broken item for refund is out and out theft. It is not a "trade". If you accidently wreck your car would you expect the car company to trade you a new one?

#12 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Topic Starter
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:47 PM

Its not stealing, it is a form of trading. And they wouldnt be paying for his mistake they wouldnt pay for anything and it wasnt a mistake it was an accident. If it was a mistake it would have meant he decided to delibretly throw the box to the ground. If you read the post it fell off of the TV.

Its my problem, not Best Buys. Why would I expect them to pay for it.

And to James why dont you look into E*, they are supposedly coming out with more HD content soon.

That isn't what this is about. Its about having to pay for a receiver. I won't have to do that with Cox. I'll give up Sunday Ticket, but I can go down to the bar, which is what I ended up doing this year anyway. :shrug:

#13 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:14 PM

James,

The only thing you will really miss by going to cable is your DirecTivos. I guess you go to stand-alone models, but it isn't the same.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#14 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:57 PM

Sorry about your receiver, James. It bits when something you get so much enjoyment out of breaks or dies. I would look around for new D* HD boxes if you can find any at a decent price. If not why not give cable a wirl, if they have what you want at a price that's good for you it would only make sence.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#15 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 10:01 PM

Its not stealing, it is a form of trading. And they wouldnt be paying for his mistake they wouldnt pay for anything and it wasnt a mistake it was an accident.

If you think this is a form of trading remind me never to do business with you. I sure hope you aren't a parent teaching the "art of trading" to your children. You are a disgrace to this forum.

#16 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Topic Starter
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 10:37 PM

Originally posted by karl_f
James,

The only thing you will really miss by going to cable is your DirecTivos. I guess you go to stand-alone models, but it isn't the same.

Yea I know, that the big reason I haven't done it yet... I will say the HMO on my parents Series 2 TiVo is great....

#17 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 10:59 PM

Originally posted by James_F

Yea I know, that the big reason I haven't done it yet... I will say the HMO on my parents Series 2 TiVo is great....

Well i hope what ever you decide on works for you :)

Why stick with cable switch to directv and get all your channels in digital picture and sound call 1800-directv today or visit directv.com

It sounds like the commerical

Why do we press harder on the remote when we know the batteries are dying Lol
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#18 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 11:04 PM

James..I just saw an open box buy on a DTV HD box here in Las Vegas for $399. Search the stores in your area and see if they have any open box deals, or make the 5 hour drive to Vegas and go to RC Willeys.

#19 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Topic Starter
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 01:52 PM

Well the demo for Cox HD was impressive. It looked as good as the DirecTV HD. The nice part is I won't need an antenna anymore to get HD locals if I go with Cox. I'll give up HDNet which is almost a dealbreaker, but if they do fire up ESPN HD, I won't care. I'll have to think about this for awhile, the Cox deal is good for the rest of May so I have some time to find a DirecTV HD receiver...

#20 OFFLINE   adkeith

adkeith

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 02:01 PM

If cox is the same there you are already getting penalized 10 bucks a month for not having cable service anyway, or as they call it a discount on your internet bill.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...