Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

The SWM and SWMline were originally tested in the CE program .. now that both are making their way into the mainstream it seems appropriate to have that discussion here in the open forums now .. as a result, all SWM and SWMline general discussion can take place here in this thread ..

As a starter, here are some First Looks that may be of interest:

SWM - Earl Bonovich

SWM enabled Slimline Dish - smiddy
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

Reviewed 1st look doc. It has regular 29 volt SWM PI.

My swm-lnb has a dedicated 24volt PI.

I've reviewed a sonora power inserter document that says the SWM can use 20 to 29 volts and the amperage draw changes.

No biggie but always worry about "cooking" the electronics with the wrong power applied.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#3 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

Reviewed 1st look doc. It has regular 29 volt SWM PI.

My swm-lnb has a dedicated 24volt PI.

I've reviewed a sonora power inserter document that says the SWM can use 20 to 29 volts and the amperage draw changes.

No biggie but always worry about "cooking" the electronics with the wrong power applied.

Doctor j

Yes, early SWM-LNB assemblies came with the same 29-volt PI (PI-8) as the standalone SWM modules. Works fine.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#4 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

good idea doug, as it seems like there are tons of random swm threads floating around
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#5 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

i think this troubleshooting link should be in here
http://www.dbstalk.c...ire multiswitch
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#6 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

Any idea when Solid Signal will have the SWM LNB?

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

After six months since the CE trial, my SWMline has developed all sorts of problems.

First, one my receivers couldn't tune it.
Then lost the 99S video feeds on all other receivers although signals are good (not an aiming issue).

No need to offer suggestions or hypothesis as that's been done in another thread.

It was fun while it lasted.

#8 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

FWIW...I've had to replace the FTM module of a SMW-8 after about six months. The PI was fine.

The new one is on a UPS, so we'll see if that helps its life expectancy.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#9 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

My Setup:

SWMLine to PI to 4-way SWS splitter to HR21, H21, and H21

My issue: One of the H21's searching for singnal every evening. Do menu reset and everything works fine. Has happened the two nights since I installed. Other H21 and HR21 in living room (5 feet away farther from dish) work perfectly.

More info:
Distance from ODU to PI: 10ft
From PI to 4-way: 2.5 feet
From 4-way to H21 in question: 16ft-18ft roughly
From 4-way to HR21 and H21: 21ft-23ft roughly

Question:
Why the having to reset bedroom H21 every evening (so far) then working fine, also working fine when I wake up in the morning 5-6 hours later, just not seem to be working later in the evening. But other HR and H21's working perfectly?
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#10 OFFLINE   northatlanta

northatlanta

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

Hi All (Long time reader, first time poster):

I am just trying to nail down the SWM setup. I have 2 TV's but only need the SWM functionality on 1 TV (living room), since I only have 1 HR20-700.

Currently, I have the 2 lines of coax coming from the dish, then 1 line to each TV:

- Where in the line do I insert the SWM module?
A. Do I insert 1 of the coax lines from the dish to the SWM, then out to the living room HR20, leaving the other coax to go straight from the dish to the H21 upstairs?
B. Do I connect the two lines from the dish directly to the SWM, then one line to each receiver? (I think this is the correct way...)

- I was looking out on SolidSignal to order a SWM, but I notice the 8 channel is cheaper than the 5 channel....what? Should I just go ahead and order the 8?

- Does DirecTV need to install anything or can I rig this myself? Seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks for any help! I have been reading this forum for over a year now and have learned a ton from you guys.

Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

I am just trying to nail down the SWM setup. I have 2 TV's but only need the SWM functionality on 1 TV (living room), since I only have 1 HR20-700.

Currently, I have the 2 lines of coax coming from the dish, then 1 line to each TV:

A. Do I insert 1 of the coax lines from the dish to the SWM, then out to the living room HR20, leaving the other coax to go straight from the dish to the H21 upstairs?
B. Do I connect the two lines from the dish directly to the SWM, then one line to each receiver? (I think this is the correct way...)

- I was looking out on SolidSignal to order a SWM, but I notice the 8 channel is cheaper than the 5 channel....what? Should I just go ahead and order the 8?

- Does DirecTV need to install anything or can I rig this myself? Seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks for any help! I have been reading this forum for over a year now and have learned a ton from you guys.

Thanks.

:welcome_s northatlanta

If you have only one receiver and two lines going to it, there's little if any need for a SWM. But generally, theres four lines coming from the 5LNB dish. You connect all four to the SWM and then run single lines to each sat receiver. That gives you up to 8 tuners (4 DVRs or 3 DVRs + 2 Reg boxes etc)

You mentioned another TV and depending what sat receiver is there, will determine what output of the SWM you use (i.e. Legacy or not).

All that said, get the SWM8. SWM5 wasn't actively marketed by Directv. SWM8 is the product of choice.

#12 OFFLINE   northatlanta

northatlanta

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

Thanks NR4P:

I am trying to enable the dual tuners on the living room HD-DVR. I only have 1 coax to the living room TV (HD DVR) and 1 coax to the upstairs TV (regular HD box). So is the SWM overkill?

I only have 2 coax coming off of the dish....does that limit me?

#13 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:39 AM

Thanks.

1) What is your 2nd receiver.

2) Must have all 4 lines from dish to SWM-8 for anything to work.

SWM can be at dish but will have to have all four lines.

3) SWM-5 are old(and discontinued) therefore the usual price drop of electronics over time not in effect.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#14 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

As doctor j stated, you need four lines from the dish.

#15 OFFLINE   northatlanta

northatlanta

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Living Room Receiver = HR20
2nd receiver upstairs = H21

Ok, so I need to get all four lines from the dish for a SWM to work.

#16 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

My Setup:

SWMLine to PI to 4-way SWS splitter to HR21, H21, and H21

My issue: One of the H21's searching for singnal every evening. Do menu reset and everything works fine. Has happened the two nights since I installed. Other H21 and HR21 in living room (5 feet away farther from dish) work perfectly.

More info:
Distance from ODU to PI: 10ft
From PI to 4-way: 2.5 feet
From 4-way to H21 in question: 16ft-18ft roughly
From 4-way to HR21 and H21: 21ft-23ft roughly

Question:
Why the having to reset bedroom H21 every evening (so far) then working fine, also working fine when I wake up in the morning 5-6 hours later, just not seem to be working later in the evening. But other HR and H21's working perfectly?

On the problem H21, go into the Sat setup screens and look at the signal strengths on each SAT and both tuners. Then compare to the other H21.

Also after all the SAT screens, there is a SWM signal strength screen. Compare the two H21's.

These may give you a clue on a line or splitter problem.

Speaking of splitters, look at the first look report by Smiddy at top of the thread. Its' great (yes I'm biased since I contributed). In it are a list of tested and recommended splitters. Try to use those.

#17 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

On the problem H21, go into the Sat setup screens and look at the signal strengths on each SAT and both tuners. Then compare to the other H21.

Also after all the SAT screens, there is a SWM signal strength screen. Compare the two H21's.

These may give you a clue on a line or splitter problem.

Speaking of splitters, look at the first look report by Smiddy at top of the thread. Its' great (yes I'm biased since I contributed). In it are a list of tested and recommended splitters. Try to use those.

Thanks! I will report back when I get home from work and check it all out.

Sad to see your SWMLine failed. What was the cause excatly? Was it a PI issue? What should I look out for in the future to make sure it doesn't happen to me?
Thanks!
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16

#18 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

Thanks! I will report back when I get home from work and check it all out.

Sad to see your SWMLine failed. What was the cause excatly? Was it a PI issue? What should I look out for in the future to make sure it doesn't happen to me?
Thanks!

My cause is unknown.
Immediately after a software download, the HR20 would no longer communicate with the SWM. Thought it was the HR20.
Within a week, I lost video/audio on any 99 Spot beam MPEG4 signal on all receivers. But the signals were there on the test screens and there wasn't any 771 etc. Put old LNB back and all was well again. Probably a component that didn't stay in spec which would account for slow marginal performance degrades.

It could be the PI or the SWMline but since I cannot get either replaced by Directv, may never know which piece failed. Others have solid performance so mine is not typical.

Over the next week, I have some major work to do in the home to relocate equipment and/or run another RG6 line to support the changes I made a few months back. And does my attic get hot here in Florida. Hoping for a long rainy day.

Let us know how you make out.

#19 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Living Room Receiver = HR20
2nd receiver upstairs = H21

Ok, so I need to get all four lines from the dish for a SWM to work.

dish>4 lines>swm(can be mounted at dish)>1line>PI>splitter>lines to recievers..
or better yet would be the SWMLine LNB (should be availible in a month or 2)..
SWMLine>1 cable>pi>splitter>cable to each reciever..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#20 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

Question:

My follow up:
So I looked at the firmware for the SWM in the info on the 'working' H21 and HR21 and they have 1.0.11 with the SWM library at 1.0.8

Went to the H21 in question and it had zeros on both. I did a menu reset, didn't change anything, did a reset again and forced a software check. It found something to download then reset it self (obviously). Now the Firmware and Library have the same version as the other two. So now hopefully it will not happen. I'll keep you updated.

Update 8-1-08:
So That was short lived. After about 4 hours I went to bed, turned on the TV and sure enough, searching for signal:nono2: Now what to do? The others work great. Why the difficulties with this H21?
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16

spam firewall