Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

My SWM8 is removed from the system. As I've been reporting on here, it's been on the fritz. At least, I'm pretty sure it's the SWM, we'll see. I just lose all Ka reception and have to unplug the thing and start over. Last night when I had problems, I had to unplug it for two minutes to fix it.

I ordered a new one from solidsignal days ago, but honestly, they're doing an awful job of shipping it, or at least updating their ship status (first time that's happened to me).

Since it happens to both of my receivers, I expect a new SMW8 or new pickup will solve this problem in a week or two.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:04 PM

Another user with a SWM and diplexed OTA. Coincidence? Me thinks not.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#63 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:15 PM

Another user with a SWM and diplexed OTA. Coincidence? Me thinks not.

Was that for me? What was this in reference to?

I could live without diplexed OTA. Now we have almost all channels via HD LIL. I would then only really be able to (easily) have OTA in one room, but that'd be enough.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

#64 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:34 PM

Was that for me? What was this in reference to?

I could live without diplexed OTA. Now we have almost all channels via HD LIL. I would then only really be able to (easily) have OTA in one room, but that'd be enough.

Yes & no.

I'm noticing that a lot of the "Having SWM Problems" threads that are popping up like dandelions are here have one thing in common. Diplexed OTA.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#65 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

It can be done ;) but like all OTA stuff it's a lot of voodoo to get it right :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#66 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:14 PM

Well, I sure had a lot of problems diplexing with SWM in the first place. I don't know if you saw the threads, but I found I had to have about 4 feet of coax between the diplex splitter and the HR20-100. Which I found odd.

Anyway, I'm not at this time sure it isn't my LNB going south. So I'm torn between trying to rewire again to go to non-diplexed SWM and sticking with no SWM for now. Especially with the Olympics on.
room 1:

room 2:

#67 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

Okay. I put the SWM8 back in but undiplexed my OTA. It's actually a simpler setup this way. Let's see what happens now.
room 1:

room 2:

#68 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Okay. I put the SWM8 back in but undiplexed my OTA. It's actually a simpler setup this way. Let's see what happens now.

A new SWM or the old SWM? Didn't you say you had ordered a new one.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#69 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

I'm noticing that a lot of the "Having SWM Problems" threads that are popping up like dandelions are here have one thing in common. Diplexed OTA.

Maybe so.

But are the majority of SMWs bought and self installed by those wishing to have diplexed OTA?

Therefore, making the odds greater that anyone with a SWM issue that posts here also uses diplexed OTA.

I don't know. Do you? ;)
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#70 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:34 PM

A new SWM or the old SWM? Didn't you say you had ordered a new one.

Old one. No sign of the new one yet.

It would be ironic if this were the issue, since I ordered better diplexers at the same time as the new SWM8.

Given that I had OTA diplexed working for 3 months without issue, I kind of suspect this isn't the problem. But I'm game to try it, because it means I get my OTA back (using the 2nd cable to each room).
room 1:

room 2:

#71 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:30 AM

Maybe so.

But are the majority of SMWs bought and self installed by those wishing to have diplexed OTA?

Therefore, making the odds greater that anyone with a SWM issue that posts here also uses diplexed OTA.

I don't know. Do you? ;)

I just an observation. I've noticed a fair amount of threads popping up about SWM issues. A majority of them also say they are diplexing. I do think there is a connection, so take that for what it's worth. Search through the forums yourself if you like. It's pretty easy to come to the same observed conclusion.

#72 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

I just an observation. I've noticed a fair amount of threads popping up about SWM issues. A majority of them also say they are diplexing. I do think there is a connection, so take that for what it's worth. Search through the forums yourself if you like. It's pretty easy to come to the same observed conclusion.

...and I wasn't disagreeing with that observation.

My point was "why get an SWM"?

Most likely you have a house that's pre-wired for single runs, and you've stumbled onto this forum. If you can run multiple lines, you'll just run three and not get a SWM.

So, I think that the OTA user percentage is probably higher among SWM owners.

That would lead to more people that have any SWM problem, also using diplexed OTA.

Observation does not necessarily mean causation. We'll see, in this case, if it does.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#73 OFFLINE   tweaked

tweaked

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:06 PM

I'm a little out of the norm with respect to SWM's and their need in existing, one wire environments and am coming at this from a slightly different angle.

I'm currently running multiple lines in (including OTA), feeding two DVR's. If it weren't for the fact that one cable's far more easy to run (and hide) indoors, I wouldn't be looking into an SWM module or LNB. Why mess with what's working? There most certainly would not be anything to gain in terms of RF quality or signal strength; in fact, a very small loss would be guaranteed (in my existing setup).

My thing is this... being I'd like to 'clean' things up by using a one wire solution, SWM would be a sensible and practical alternative, if: The integration of OTA into SWM installations was proven reliable AND officially supported by DirecTV which to date, it is not.

Why would DirecTV provide an OTA port on their SWM-8 module while at the same time, advise that it not be used and offer no support? I do think it rational to conclude or at least suspect that OTA was perhaps an afterthought when it came to designing SWM's. OTA diplexing wasn’t engineered into their SWM-5 module and their existing (unsupported) OTA solution, that of the SWM-8, is a work in progress with its recent introduction into complex, real world settings, creating a need for further testing or even change in design.

Assuming OTA's not a big concern with DTV ( and why should it be), it would seem that any improvements and/or official support will be slow in coming. It's wait and see for me.

#74 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

ota "will work" with swm. but if you are running cable, just run a dual rg6 to that spot and use one for sat and one for ota

#75 OFFLINE   peter17319

peter17319

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

1. Where is the best place to get a SWM-8? Solidsignal?

2. Sorry if this has been discussed already, but what about the power supply? Solidsignal sells the SWM-8 buy itself or combined with a "power supply". Do I need that? Here is my setup:

Dish = 5-LNB Slimline
Living Room = HR21-700
Bedroom #1 = D12-100
Bedroom #2 = D12-100

Let's assume that I never expand any of my current receivers (which I don't plan to). With a setup like that, do I even need one of those SWM power supplies? Or is that power supply always necessary, and they sell the stand-alone SWM simply for replacement purposes?

Sorry if that's a dumb question. :confused:

#76 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,057 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

The power inserter is required in any case, so the separate listing is probably for replacement purposes.

#77 OFFLINE   MIMOTech

MIMOTech

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:32 PM

The WB68 is not a splitter. What splitter you use depends on your equipment and what expansion plans if any that you have. If you have 2 DVR's then SWS-2 would be OK. It would give you two ports and 4 SWM channels. An SWS-4 would give you 3 DVRs and one non-DVR. etc.

#78 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

The Power Supply is always necessary when using an SWM - it won't work without it!

#79 OFFLINE   bman51

bman51

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

I'm trying to determine if SWM will work/help my current setup. I'm not feeling tremendous pain from my current setup; but more tuners is always better.

Currently have:

Slimline 5 LNB to WB68(?)
1. HR20 -- 2 Runs Active
2. HR21 -- 2 Runs Active
3. HR21 -- 1 Run Only
4. HR10-250 -- 1 Run Only (could possibly run a 2nd line if I needed to)
5. HR10-250 -- 1 Run Only

I just added 2 of the HRxx as a free upgrade from D*. They offered to replace 2 other TIVOs; but instead I chose to keep the HR10s since they said the SD DVRs would not work with only 1 cable run.

Thanks all for your help.

#80 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

I'm trying to determine if SWM will work/help my current setup. I'm not feeling tremendous pain from my current setup; but more tuners is always better.

Currently have:

Slimline 5 LNB to WB68(?)
1. HR20 -- 2 Runs Active
2. HR21 -- 2 Runs Active
3. HR21 -- 1 Run Only
4. HR10-250 -- 1 Run Only (could possibly run a 2nd line if I needed to)
5. HR10-250 -- 1 Run Only

I just added 2 of the HRxx as a free upgrade from D*. They offered to replace 2 other TIVOs; but instead I chose to keep the HR10s since they said the SD DVRs would not work with only 1 cable run.

Thanks all for your help.

best shot I think is to leave the HR10s hooked up the way they are and use 4 lines off the wb68 to feed a SWM8 to your HR2xs..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...