Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1304 replies to this topic

#1026 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

To convert to SWiM, you would just change out your LNB with a SWiM-LNB. You would use only one line down to a splitter that would then feed your receivers. You would also need a Power Inserter as well, but that can be hooked up near one of your receivers.

The benefits of SWiM is that you will only have one cable going to your receivers and you could use DECA if you decide to activate MRV. DECA allows ethernet traffic to go over your coax cables. The HR24 has a DECA built-in, but you would need an external DECA for your HR23 and another DECA and PI to bridge the DECA cloud to your home network/Internet (if desired).

One thing to consider is that the only SD receiver that is SWiM compatible is the D12. You can always check with DirecTV to see what they can do to upgrade you for SWiM/DECA. The normal cost is $99 plus $49 for the install, but some CSR's will help you out with that. That would include the LNB swap and the SD receiver swap, if it is not a D12. If you upgrade (or add) a receiver that would be an additional cost, but depending on your account history you might get a good deal.

- Merg

Thanks for that info! So, my sd receiver is an old hughes, so If I do the swap, that would have to go, so I would be best off seeing what Directv could do, as far as that goes.
I might just use the BBC's on the HR24, when I get it, and do the swap down the road a bit, depending on how nice of a CSR I get. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1027 OFFLINE   davelNC

davelNC

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

New install today...3 HR24s and 2H24s. I (think) I have a Swim8 integrated into my slimline dish (only 1 coax coming from dish to house). I also have whole house DVR with the ethernet to cable (is that a DECA box?) hooked up to my router. None of my boxes are hooked to the phone line.

The guy who did it seemed pretty meticulous and careful and he spent all morning here. However, he could not get the two non DVR receivers to see all three DVRs, only two of them. He spent quite a bit of time on the phone with people talking about it, and the conclusion he arrived it was that I need a SWIM 16, not a SWIM8, and he'll have to come back and install a 5 wire LNB on the roof, add more cable down the house to the crawl space and install the SWIM16 down there to make it all work.

I've been reading a lot on this forum, but all the acronyms have made me dizzy. I understand that each DVR requires two "channels" on a SWIM, and a regular receiver requires one...so that's 3 DVR x2 + 2 receivers = 8. he said that deca takes another channel. So, if one of the boxes just didn't work at all, I could understand that, but everything works just fine....just that all the DVR's cant be seen by all the receivers. Is he right (I had to add more coax coming down the house) or is there a different way to configure it?

(update...I do have a hot ethernet port by this box...could I use the ethernet connection for the whole house function?)

Another question...since I don't have phone lines, can I hook the Hr24s directly up to Ethernet to replace the phone lines, so I can do on demand from each of the boxes, and not have to go on the web?

I had Sony DTV boxes 20 years ago, but all were eaten by lightening in 3 years, and it was too expensive to replace so I switched to Time Warner. TWC's price went up and up, and the boxes got worse and worse (they went to switched video here this year....and that makes the boxes really slow). Looking forward to DTV....I'm a geek, but this all seems awfully complicated and mysterious.

Edited by davelNC, 24 September 2010 - 07:39 PM.
add detail

#1028 OFFLINE   Valve1138

Valve1138

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

Hi guys, quick question.

Currently I have your regular type SL5 lnb (non swm) and a 6x8 multiswitch
For boxes I have
One HR21 DVR
Two H23
Two H21
and two D11-500 (not swm capable of course)

If I call for the SWM/MRV upgrade is there a hard and fast rule for the type of upgrade they will do in terms of a SWM LNB or a SWM-8?

I've got limited room in my structured wiring box that came with the condo. A splitter would fit just fine, not so sure about a SWM-8.

Thanks

#1029 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,141 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

Hi guys, quick question.

Currently I have your regular type SL5 lnb (non swm) and a 6x8 multiswitch
For boxes I have
One HR21 DVR
Two H23
Two H21
and two D11-500 (not swm capable of course)

If I call for the SWM/MRV upgrade is there a hard and fast rule for the type of upgrade they will do in terms of a SWM LNB or a SWM-8?

I've got limited room in my structured wiring box that came with the condo. A splitter would fit just fine, not so sure about a SWM-8.

Thanks

Seems like you'll get the SWMLNB & have the D11s swapped for D12s as part of the Connected Home & Whole home DVR service.
A.K.A VOS

#1030 OFFLINE   Valve1138

Valve1138

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

Seems like you'll get the SWMLNB & have the D11s swapped for D12s as part of the Connected Home & Whole home DVR service.

Sounds good to me. Thanks :)

#1031 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

SWiM-16 install question.

Obviously, I have a SWiM-16 and the typical ports ComboPower-SWiM1 / Power / SWiM2.
Can you connect more than 8 tuners up to SWiM1 (not hard to do as the DVRs only require 1 connection from an 8 way spliter) or do you need to divide the tuners between SWiM1 and SWiM2?

If the tuners are divided between SWiM1 and SWiM2 on the SWiM16, can they still share recordings with each other w/ MRV?

#1032 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

SWM1 or SWM2 only supports or can handle up to 8 Tuners and no more!!!

If you connect more than 8 Tuners you will find that one of the Tuners will be dropped from time to time on a Random Basis and don't ask how I know this!!!

Yes, they can Share Recordings between them as long as there are No More than 8 Tuners Per SWM.

Edited by Richierich, 03 October 2010 - 06:41 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#1033 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,289 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

To answer your other question, MRV will share between receivers on the SWM1 and SWM2 ports of the SWM16.

#1034 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

SWiM-16 install question.

If the tuners are divided between SWiM1 and SWiM2 on the SWiM16, can they still share recordings with each other w/ MRV?

Yes, the SWiM-16 has an internal crossover for the DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#1035 OFFLINE   TNeill

TNeill

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

I'm waaay behind the times in this. I had scheduled a new upgrade install for yesterday. Nobody showed. Local installer said DTV cancelled it 2 hrs prior and no one could give me a reason why. Anyway it irritated me after sitting there for 4 hours waiting so I didn't reschedule it. My setup now is:

2HD DVRs
1HD Rec with only 1 line coming into room
1HDTivo DVR with only 1 line coming into room
1SD Rec
5LNB Slimline Dish

What would I have to purchase to get the units that only have one line going into the room 2 tuner capable each? Obviously I'd need another HD DVR. I also have cable TV and have diplexed them in the past. Can SWM be diplexed, if yes how?

Basically, I'm not sure that I can diplex the cable and SWM into those rooms and then still have 2 tuners work for the DVRs?

I hope that makes sense.

Tricia

#1036 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,141 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

2HD DVRs
1HD Rec with only 1 line coming into room
1HDTivo DVR with only 1 line coming into room
1SD Rec
5LNB Slimline Dish

• 2 HD DVRs? if these are HR2x, then they'll work with SWiM.
  • 1 HD Rec -- if this is an H2x, then it works and only one line is needed.
  • Tivo -- this has to go,
  • 1 SD Rec, this must be at least a D12 to work with SWiM.
  • 5LNB Slimline needs a SWiM LNB, PI for power, and splitter.

If you can stay away from diplexing that would help in the long run since it isn't supported and if you ever move to the connected home networking, it can't work.
A.K.A VOS

#1037 OFFLINE   TNeill

TNeill

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

The HD DVRs are an H24 and H21. The HD rec is a H21. I figured the Tivo would have to go and the SD rec is tooooo old. Sounds like I should suck it up and reschedule. That's alot of equipment to fork out for. Hmmmmm Will still need 2 lines for each DVR on SWM?

Thanks veryoldschool!!!

Edited by TNeill, 06 October 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#1038 OFFLINE   TNeill

TNeill

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Will there need to be further upgrades if I went for home networking? A connect kit?

#1039 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,141 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

Will there need to be further upgrades if I went for home networking? A connect kit?

This might be your best option/solution.
The $99 + service call for the Connected Home networking and the Whole Home DVR service [MRV] gets you:
SWiM, a DECA for your H21, the Tivo swapped for an R16, & SD receiver swapped for a D-12, so these two will work with the SWiM.
Add to this the internet connection kit [ICK] for $25 and the connected home [DECA] is bridged to your home network.
You may also be able to work some deal [extra] for the Tivo to be changed for a HD DVR and maybe even the SD receiver for an HD receiver.
If you can then you'll have a true "whole home" DVR(s), where you can watch any recording from any place in your home.
A.K.A VOS

#1040 OFFLINE   TNeill

TNeill

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

If I did that then would the Tivo replacement(hopefully another HD DVR) require a second line going into the room for the two tuners? Right now it only has one line going in.

I read this on another website concerning SWM:

•With a SWM, only ONE LINE is connected into the back of a compatible HD DVR. The satellite 2 input is NOT USED and two tuners are available from that single line. No split at the unit is necessary; this is performed internally

#1041 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,141 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

If I did that then would the Tivo replacement(hopefully another HD DVR) require a second line going into the room for the two tuners? Right now it only has one line going in.

I read this on another website concerning SWM:

All SWiM compatible receiver/DVRs work with one coax.
A.K.A VOS

#1042 OFFLINE   TNeill

TNeill

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Thanks veryoldschool. Looks like I'll have to make the call AGAIN.

#1043 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Need help. I changed over to a SWM 3 in my RV some months ago and, believe it or not, my $11 in-line signal meter worked to align the dish until the 21 volts overcame it. I have since tried other cheap meters but none would work.

Purchased an ASL-1 and worked it with a cheap meter twice to get a successful setup. After that it didn't give me a signal off the SWM 3. The power out side of the ASL-1 is working, giving me around 18 volts out but hooking up the meter to the 101 gives me nothing. The meter still works with a standard SL3 LNB. I have to slip in the SL3, get a signal and then slip in the SWM. Works OK but a lot of effort.

My question: Shouldn't the ASL-1 work with any meter or will I have to spring for an Acutrac Pro? I really don't need the 119, so is the Acutrac a waste of money? I wonder if the ASL-1 has gone bad since it worked originally with the cheap meter. Do I need a new ASL-1 or is the Acutrac the only way to go? I don't know any way to test the "101 out" side of the ASL-1.

Thanks.

Edited by jmikestock, 09 October 2010 - 11:29 AM.
Punctuation

#1044 OFFLINE   jdjeff

jdjeff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

After FIVE no shows and repeated promises of calls from a supervisor, the fine folk of Ds local install company showed up to do a move install/whole house dvr install. Results (I came down to visit when my FIL said it wasn't working but the installers left)?

1. HR24 with an HDMI cable running from the box and...wait for it....taped to the back of a tv with no HDMI input. Hence, no signal at the tv. Remote not programmed to control TV (or the AV receiver either...which they ignored).

2. H24 properly installed. Yeah! Remote not set up for TV. Boo.

3. A D-12. Yes, a non MRV capable receiver for a new MRV install. Boo.

4. Nothing connected to the internet. To their credit, they did plug a phone cord into the back of the HR24....but didn't connect it to the wall plate.

The outside wiring was a mess, the F connectors were loose at the cable and loosely screwed in. Worse mess I have ever seen.

I am confident that Ds promise to have installers back within the hour will be completely met. :nono2:

#1045 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,141 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

After FIVE no shows and repeated promises of calls from a supervisor, the fine folk of Ds local install company showed up to do a move install/whole house dvr install. Results (I came down to visit when my FIL said it wasn't working but the installers left)?

1. HR24 with an HDMI cable running from the box and...wait for it....taped to the back of a tv with no HDMI input. Hence, no signal at the tv. Remote not programmed to control TV (or the AV receiver either...which they ignored).

2. H24 properly installed. Yeah! Remote not set up for TV. Boo.

3. A D-12. Yes, a non MRV capable receiver for a new MRV install. Boo.

4. Nothing connected to the internet. To their credit, they did plug a phone cord into the back of the HR24....but didn't connect it to the wall plate.

The outside wiring was a mess, the F connectors were loose at the cable and loosely screwed in. Worse mess I have ever seen.

I am confident that Ds promise to have installers back within the hour will be completely met. :nono2:

Sorry, but what does any of this have to do with the title of this thread?
I don't see anything about SWM or a SWMLine dish. :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#1046 OFFLINE   jdjeff

jdjeff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Sorry! I'm not sure how it even ended up in this thread!:confused:

But, uhm, they did install a SWMline dish on the roof after saying they couldn't do an install at all because "of past hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and complaints about flying satellite dishes." Whew! Back on topic. Sort of...

#1047 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

I am in process of converting from WB68 to SWM8 and eventually whole home viewing.

All was working fine today with my HR20-700 on the WB68, so I went up on the roof and removed the WB68 and replaced it with a SWM8. I removed the B-Band converters from the HR20 and wired the SWM to the PI red terminal. I wired the house signal from PI to Input 1 on HR20. Easy enough - but I have no signal!

I measure 27V on the coax between the PI and SWM down at ground level at a ground block. I can't check the voltage at the SWM now since it got dark and I can't go on the roof to access the SWM. But the cable was working with the WB68 just fine.

One more bit of information. When I run setup, it comes up and in the switch field it shows :01 SWM but the entry is grayed out and I can't go in and toggle thru choices. I always used to be able to toggle through choices on this menu before.

So it seems the possible trouble could be:

1. the PI. I know it puts out 27V but I can't check the signal path through it.
2. The coax from PI to SWM - checked part way to SWM and it is OK. Maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off I can go back on roof and verify power makes it all the way to SWM.
3. The SWM itself - any way you guys can recommend to test that?

Any and all help appreciated.

Signalless in Ithaca - wife has not complained yet but more baseball is coming up and I really don't want to go up in the rain and reinstall the WB68!!

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
HR44-700 HDMI to VIZIO VW42LF, Native ON
1.5 TB WD15EARS eSATA HDD
DD5.1 Audio via optical to AV Rcvr
DECA, TVersity
H21-100 HDMI to VIZIO VX37L, Native ON

#1048 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,141 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

It would seem the SWiM is working since the switch selection is grey'd out because the SWiM is telling it what it is.
You might try pulling the power on the HR20-700 for a good 10 mins so it does a "cold boot". This may help.
Sounds like you've rebooted this receiver at least once, which is needed to shift over to SWiM mode.
Any other receiver connected?
Might be that this receiver simply doesn't want to shift over to SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#1049 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

It would seem the SWiM is working since the switch selection is grey'd out because the SWiM is telling it what it is.
You might try pulling the power on the HR20-700 for a good 10 mins so it does a "cold boot". This may help.
Sounds like you've rebooted this receiver at least once, which is needed to shift over to SWiM mode.
Any other receiver connected?
Might be that this receiver simply doesn't want to shift over to SWiM.

Thanks VOS.

I am trying the cold boot now - will report back.

Nothing else connected at this time - I am trying to keep it simple!

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

#1050 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thanks VOS.

I am trying the cold boot now - will report back.

Nothing else connected at this time - I am trying to keep it simple!

No joy VOS. I pulled the plug for 15 minutes and everything behaves the same as my original post.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I go back on the roof in the AM just to verify I have voltage at the SWM. If I do, then it seems the SWM is bad unless there is some failure mode in the PI that screws up the signal path.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

Protected By... spam firewall...And...