Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   bman51

bman51

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

best shot I think is to leave the HR10s hooked up the way they are and use 4 lines off the wb68 to feed a SWM8 to your HR2xs..

My 2 HR10s are not hooked up to HDTVs. Would it make sense to have D* give me 2 SD DVRs? Wasn't sure if the SD DVRs will work with SWM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

The R16 and R22 will work with SWM older ones won't and you really don't know which you will end up with.

#83 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

I chose to keep the HR10s since they said the SD DVRs would not work with only 1 cable run.

The SD DVRs will still work with a single cable. You'll just be forced to watch whatever is being recorded. Unless, you're watching OTA and recording sat, or vice versa.

You can use the 3 legacy ports on the SWM-8 for 2 runs to one H10-250, and one to the other.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#84 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,035 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

The SD DVRs will still work with a single cable. You'll just be forced to watch whatever is being recorded. Unless, you're watching OTA and recording sat, or vice versa.

None of the SD DVRs have OTA capability (other than the R22 with an AM21 if you have HD on your account).

All of the SD DVRs will work with only one coax, using one tuner.

Carl

#85 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

None of the SD DVRs have OTA capability (other than the R22 with an AM21 if you have HD on your account).

All of the SD DVRs will work with only one coax, using one tuner.

Carl

Doh!

I was thinking about his HR10-250s...duh.

But you can watch OTA (via the TV's tuner) while the SD D* box is recording the sat. ;)

Good catch Carl, thanks.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#86 OFFLINE   jdmac29

jdmac29

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

Since I figured out my install problem with the swm and diplexing ota. I am having no problems with either signal. The biggest reason I can think some folks have problems is the splitter/diplexers they use. I use skywalker splitters and diplexers. They are not expensive from a1 components except for shipping but they do work very well. A directv installer also told me the cheap f connectors in most of the wall plates has alot of problems with the hd signals. He swapped mine out for ones that were color coded, the middle area was not white but green, blue, or red. A1 components also sells these 3 ghz f connectors for satellite use that were really cheap also. I think the swm is great technology saved me time, money, and alot of cleanup trying to run 3 or 4 more lines of coax through my house.

#87 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

Since I figured out my install problem with the swm and diplexing ota. I am having no problems with either signal. The biggest reason I can think some folks have problems is the splitter/diplexers they use. I use skywalker splitters and diplexers. They are not expensive from a1 components except for shipping but they do work very well. A directv installer also told me the cheap f connectors in most of the wall plates has alot of problems with the hd signals. He swapped mine out for ones that were color coded, the middle area was not white but green, blue, or red. A1 components also sells these 3 ghz f connectors for satellite use that were really cheap also. I think the swm is great technology saved me time, money, and alot of cleanup trying to run 3 or 4 more lines of coax through my house.

using the right components are very critical when diplexing

#88 OFFLINE   CopyCat

CopyCat

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 324 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

Quick question on a SWM-8 installation with 72.5 dish and slimline dish.

In the diagrams I see on-line I see only one wire from the dual LNB on the 72.5 dish connected to the SWM-8. Shouldn't both wires from the 72.5 dish be connected ?
If it an't broke, don't fix it

Slimline Dish w/SWM-5LNB to 8 way splitter.
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-52XBR2
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR21-200 - Component Emerson LCD SLC195EM8
All networked via CAT5 to a Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch connected to a Cisco Linksys E4200 to DSL.

#89 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

you only need 1 cable for 72.5

#90 OFFLINE   CopyCat

CopyCat

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 324 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

you only need 1 cable for 72.5

Thanks, I was confused by the fact that the 6x8 multiswitch has 2 lines from the 72.5 dish and the instructions I have found say only 1 line is connected.
If it an't broke, don't fix it

Slimline Dish w/SWM-5LNB to 8 way splitter.
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-52XBR2
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR21-200 - Component Emerson LCD SLC195EM8
All networked via CAT5 to a Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch connected to a Cisco Linksys E4200 to DSL.

#91 OFFLINE   janctil

janctil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

I tried to goto a1 components website, a1components.com, but to no avail. Are they still in business?

#92 OFFLINE   peter17319

peter17319

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

I've read the various threads and guides, but I'm still not 100% sure how the installation is going to work for me.

I attached a few photos of my current installation. The 4 lines are coming down from the satellite, then into that cable-splitter box. From there, 4 coax lines run into the garage and then throughout the house. (there are 4 coax receptacles in the house).

Installing the SWM-8 at the satellite is not going to work for me. So I though I would do it this way:

1. Attach the SWM to the wall underneath the cable-splitter box thingy.
2. Run the 4 lines from the satellite into the SWM.
3. Take the 4 coax cables that supply the house, remove them from those splitters outside, and pull them into the garage.
3. Install the power inserter inside the garage.
4. Run one line of RG-6 from the power inserter (15' minimum?), through the wall, and into the SWM outside (connecting red to red, of course!)
5. Connect coax from the power inserter's IRD output to a 4-way splitter.
6. Connect the splitter to the 4 lines that feed the house.

Does that all sound about right?

BTW, you can see in that closeup picture that one of the 4 lines from the satellite was snipped. That's because at the time it had nowhere to go, since there was only one line of coax into living room, and one of the 3 bedrooms has cable Internet. Dumb question, but I assume I'll need to crimp that and connect it to the SWM to get this all working properly?

Attached Thumbnails

• outsidefullview.jpg
  • boxfullview.jpg
  • boxcloseup1.jpg
  • boxcloseup2.jpg
  • insidefullview.jpg
  • insidecloseup.jpg

#93 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

It looks like one of the cables has a larger diameter than the others. Are they all RG6 or is this an optical illusion?

Use a compression connector on the line (like those on the other cables), not crimp. Also on your added line to the power inserter and if you cut the lines for the splitter.

You could put the SWM near the dish (or use a SWM-line LNB) and only use one of the cables, running it to the power inserter and splitter.

#94 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,983 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

I've read the various threads and guides, but I'm still not 100% sure how the installation is going to work for me.

I attached a few photos of my current installation. The 4 lines are coming down from the satellite, then into that cable-splitter box. From there, 4 coax lines run into the garage and then throughout the house. (there are 4 coax receptacles in the house).

Installing the SWM-8 at the satellite is not going to work for me. So I though I would do it this way:

1. Attach the SWM to the wall underneath the cable-splitter box thingy.
2. Run the 4 lines from the satellite into the SWM.
3. Take the 4 coax cables that supply the house, remove them from those splitters outside, and pull them into the garage.
3. Install the power inserter inside the garage.
4. Run one line of RG-6 from the power inserter (15' minimum?), through the wall, and into the SWM outside (connecting red to red, of course!)
5. Connect coax from the power inserter's IRD output to a 4-way splitter.
6. Connect the splitter to the 4 lines that feed the house.

Does that all sound about right?

BTW, you can see in that closeup picture that one of the 4 lines from the satellite was snipped. That's because at the time it had nowhere to go, since there was only one line of coax into living room, and one of the 3 bedrooms has cable Internet. Dumb question, but I assume I'll need to crimp that and connect it to the SWM to get this all working properly?

In general, you have it right.
But I think I see two siamese cables coming from your satellite dish at the bottom of the picture?
But is there a fifth cable going to the right angle connection on the right side of the photo. One connector has a black ring, not a blue ring as the others do. And then there's a third unterminated connector facing up? Not sure what thats all about.

But once you disconnect the 3 or 4 wires from their existing connectors and connect them to the SWM (assume SWM 8?), you won't have anything grounded. Be sure to get a connection from the SWM ground points (there's two screws slide by side on the SWM) to the ground system you are disconnecting from. What I think you are calling the splitter thingy's are there for grounding since they are passing sat signals through them.

And you definitely need all 4 lines from the sat to the SWM. If one has not connector, it needs to be added.

#95 OFFLINE   peter17319

peter17319

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

I think I see two siamese cables coming from your satellite dish at the bottom of the picture?
But is there a fifth cable going to the right angle connection on the right side of the photo. One connector has a black ring, not a blue ring as the others do. And then there's a third unterminated connector facing up? Not sure what thats all about.

Yes, there are two of those double cables coming from the satellite.

Let me try and explain what everybody's seeing. One of the "siamese" cables is pulled apart and is going into the ground point right there in the middle (what I called the "splitter thingy" :sure: ). For the other siamese cable, one half is near the top of the picture with the yellow tape on it, and the other half is the piece that is snipped and hanging by itself at the bottom. The other thing you're seeing with the black ring is the line for the cable Internet -- it's running into the little splitter with the square yellow label, and is then running out on the cable with the gray sticker.

I want to make sure I understand the deal with grounding. Let's assume that right now everything is properly grounded -- it should be. The little plate connecting to the Internet cable splitter -- that's part of the ground system? It's the thing with a green flat-head screw connecting the green cable to it. And I'm guessing that the copper cable with the green sheath is the ground line? In the full view picture it is running down through that orange sheath into the ground. So if I'm right, then by connecting that copper cable to the "splitter thingy", that grounds the satellite cables?

Can someone give me an idea of the connections I'll need to make to have the whole SWM setup properly grounded? Sorry if this all sounds dumb, but I don't want to take any chances.

Whew, that was a lot of talking! But sorry, I just thought of another question -- what is currently grounding the other two satellite cables? The one with the yellow label, and the other one that is snipped?

And BTW -- the snipped part has a really tiny extra line connected to it, which you can just make out in the closeup picture. What is that exactly, and how will that fit into the equation? I only see that on one of the 4 satellite cables.

Again, sorry for sounding like a noob, but I want to do this right. :)

#96 OFFLINE   jdmac29

jdmac29

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

I tried to goto a1 components website, a1components.com, but to no avail. Are they still in business?

http://www.a1components.com/

Site is up today

#97 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:38 AM

I want to make sure I understand the deal with grounding. Let's assume that right now everything is properly grounded -- it should be. The little plate connecting to the Internet cable splitter -- that's part of the ground system? It's the thing with a green flat-head screw connecting the green cable to it. And I'm guessing that the copper cable with the green sheath is the ground line? In the full view picture it is running down through that orange sheath into the ground. So if I'm right, then by connecting that copper cable to the "splitter thingy", that grounds the satellite cables?

Can someone give me an idea of the connections I'll need to make to have the whole SWM setup properly grounded? Sorry if this all sounds dumb, but I don't want to take any chances.

Whew, that was a lot of talking! But sorry, I just thought of another question -- what is currently grounding the other two satellite cables? The one with the yellow label, and the other one that is snipped?

And BTW -- the snipped part has a really tiny extra line connected to it, which you can just make out in the closeup picture. What is that exactly, and how will that fit into the equation? I only see that on one of the 4 satellite cables.

Again, sorry for sounding like a noob, but I want to do this right. :)

The little wire is a messenger cable, which I believe is mainly to provide mechanical support for cable TV feeds coming down from the overhead wires.

Right now you have two cables going through a ground block which attaches to the plate on your cable internet splitter (since one connector on the splitter is disconnected, I'm not sure it is even needed). It probably should have been a 4-cable ground block, but when you install the SWM, you won't need it anymore. There are ground connections on the SWM which will ground all of the cables. You should connect one of these to the plate for the cable splitter and your grounding wire.

#98 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

Are H20's still "quirky" with SWM8's? I've got a -100 running 407A (thought I read that current firmware took care of things?) and a newly installed SWM8. The SWM1 feed comes up to my bedroom where I put in the PI.

If I plug the H20 or an HR21Pro into the IRD jack of the PI directly, no problems. If I try running the IRD out to an SWS2 and connect BOTH boxes to the SWS2, the Pro is fine, but the H20 does "searching for signal...". :(

If I leave the H20 on SWM1 (along with the PI) and hook the Pro up to SWM2, is there a chance that'll do the trick? (With the SWS2 taken out of the equation completely, obviously)

TIA,

- Chip
"How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness!?!" - Homer Simpson

#99 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

I'm reading the wiring diagrams on swm8.com and it says to NOT connect anything to Sat input 2 on the DVRs. Why is this? I thought the whole point of it was so as to not hafta run additional lines to dual tuner dvrs.

#100 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

I'm reading the wiring diagrams on swm8.com and it says to NOT connect anything to Sat input 2 on the DVRs. Why is this? I thought the whole point of it was so as to not hafta run additional lines to dual tuner dvrs.

It says not to connect anything to port 2 because both sat tuners are fed by the single input to port 1. You will have dual tuner capabliity with only 1 connection via swm. This is how it is designed.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

Protected By... spam firewall...And...