Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#1041 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

If I did that then would the Tivo replacement(hopefully another HD DVR) require a second line going into the room for the two tuners? Right now it only has one line going in.

I read this on another website concerning SWM:

All SWiM compatible receiver/DVRs work with one coax.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1042 OFFLINE   TNeill

TNeill

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Thanks veryoldschool. Looks like I'll have to make the call AGAIN.

#1043 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Need help. I changed over to a SWM 3 in my RV some months ago and, believe it or not, my $11 in-line signal meter worked to align the dish until the 21 volts overcame it. I have since tried other cheap meters but none would work.

Purchased an ASL-1 and worked it with a cheap meter twice to get a successful setup. After that it didn't give me a signal off the SWM 3. The power out side of the ASL-1 is working, giving me around 18 volts out but hooking up the meter to the 101 gives me nothing. The meter still works with a standard SL3 LNB. I have to slip in the SL3, get a signal and then slip in the SWM. Works OK but a lot of effort.

My question: Shouldn't the ASL-1 work with any meter or will I have to spring for an Acutrac Pro? I really don't need the 119, so is the Acutrac a waste of money? I wonder if the ASL-1 has gone bad since it worked originally with the cheap meter. Do I need a new ASL-1 or is the Acutrac the only way to go? I don't know any way to test the "101 out" side of the ASL-1.

Thanks.

Edited by jmikestock, 09 October 2010 - 11:29 AM.
Punctuation

#1044 OFFLINE   jdjeff

jdjeff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

After FIVE no shows and repeated promises of calls from a supervisor, the fine folk of Ds local install company showed up to do a move install/whole house dvr install. Results (I came down to visit when my FIL said it wasn't working but the installers left)?

1. HR24 with an HDMI cable running from the box and...wait for it....taped to the back of a tv with no HDMI input. Hence, no signal at the tv. Remote not programmed to control TV (or the AV receiver either...which they ignored).

2. H24 properly installed. Yeah! Remote not set up for TV. Boo.

3. A D-12. Yes, a non MRV capable receiver for a new MRV install. Boo.

4. Nothing connected to the internet. To their credit, they did plug a phone cord into the back of the HR24....but didn't connect it to the wall plate.

The outside wiring was a mess, the F connectors were loose at the cable and loosely screwed in. Worse mess I have ever seen.

I am confident that Ds promise to have installers back within the hour will be completely met. :nono2:

#1045 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

After FIVE no shows and repeated promises of calls from a supervisor, the fine folk of Ds local install company showed up to do a move install/whole house dvr install. Results (I came down to visit when my FIL said it wasn't working but the installers left)?

1. HR24 with an HDMI cable running from the box and...wait for it....taped to the back of a tv with no HDMI input. Hence, no signal at the tv. Remote not programmed to control TV (or the AV receiver either...which they ignored).

2. H24 properly installed. Yeah! Remote not set up for TV. Boo.

3. A D-12. Yes, a non MRV capable receiver for a new MRV install. Boo.

4. Nothing connected to the internet. To their credit, they did plug a phone cord into the back of the HR24....but didn't connect it to the wall plate.

The outside wiring was a mess, the F connectors were loose at the cable and loosely screwed in. Worse mess I have ever seen.

I am confident that Ds promise to have installers back within the hour will be completely met. :nono2:

Sorry, but what does any of this have to do with the title of this thread?
I don't see anything about SWM or a SWMLine dish. :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#1046 OFFLINE   jdjeff

jdjeff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Sorry! I'm not sure how it even ended up in this thread!:confused:

But, uhm, they did install a SWMline dish on the roof after saying they couldn't do an install at all because "of past hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and complaints about flying satellite dishes." Whew! Back on topic. Sort of...

#1047 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

I am in process of converting from WB68 to SWM8 and eventually whole home viewing.

All was working fine today with my HR20-700 on the WB68, so I went up on the roof and removed the WB68 and replaced it with a SWM8. I removed the B-Band converters from the HR20 and wired the SWM to the PI red terminal. I wired the house signal from PI to Input 1 on HR20. Easy enough - but I have no signal!

I measure 27V on the coax between the PI and SWM down at ground level at a ground block. I can't check the voltage at the SWM now since it got dark and I can't go on the roof to access the SWM. But the cable was working with the WB68 just fine.

One more bit of information. When I run setup, it comes up and in the switch field it shows :01 SWM but the entry is grayed out and I can't go in and toggle thru choices. I always used to be able to toggle through choices on this menu before.

So it seems the possible trouble could be:

1. the PI. I know it puts out 27V but I can't check the signal path through it.
2. The coax from PI to SWM - checked part way to SWM and it is OK. Maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off I can go back on roof and verify power makes it all the way to SWM.
3. The SWM itself - any way you guys can recommend to test that?

Any and all help appreciated.

Signalless in Ithaca - wife has not complained yet but more baseball is coming up and I really don't want to go up in the rain and reinstall the WB68!!

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
HR44-700 HDMI to VIZIO VW42LF, Native ON
1.5 TB WD15EARS eSATA HDD
DD5.1 Audio via optical to AV Rcvr
DECA, TVersity
H21-100 HDMI to VIZIO VX37L, Native ON

#1048 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

It would seem the SWiM is working since the switch selection is grey'd out because the SWiM is telling it what it is.
You might try pulling the power on the HR20-700 for a good 10 mins so it does a "cold boot". This may help.
Sounds like you've rebooted this receiver at least once, which is needed to shift over to SWiM mode.
Any other receiver connected?
Might be that this receiver simply doesn't want to shift over to SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#1049 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

It would seem the SWiM is working since the switch selection is grey'd out because the SWiM is telling it what it is.
You might try pulling the power on the HR20-700 for a good 10 mins so it does a "cold boot". This may help.
Sounds like you've rebooted this receiver at least once, which is needed to shift over to SWiM mode.
Any other receiver connected?
Might be that this receiver simply doesn't want to shift over to SWiM.

Thanks VOS.

I am trying the cold boot now - will report back.

Nothing else connected at this time - I am trying to keep it simple!

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

#1050 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thanks VOS.

I am trying the cold boot now - will report back.

Nothing else connected at this time - I am trying to keep it simple!

No joy VOS. I pulled the plug for 15 minutes and everything behaves the same as my original post.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I go back on the roof in the AM just to verify I have voltage at the SWM. If I do, then it seems the SWM is bad unless there is some failure mode in the PI that screws up the signal path.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

#1051 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

No joy VOS. I pulled the plug for 15 minutes and everything behaves the same as my original post.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I go back on the roof in the AM just to verify I have voltage at the SWM. If I do, then it seems the SWM is bad unless there is some failure mode in the PI that screws up the signal path.

I'd still try another receiver if you have one to try.
Another thing to look at in the morning is if one of the legacy ports off the SWM8 has a signal. This would be the same as the WB68, but not have too many HD channels, since the KA-low doesn't pass through it, but the KA-Hi does. You would still need to power the SWM8 "I think" since it has to power the LNBs.
A.K.A VOS

#1052 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

I'd still try another receiver if you have one to try.
Another thing to look at in the morning is if one of the legacy ports off the SWM8 has a signal. This would be the same as the WB68, but not have too many HD channels, since the KA-low doesn't pass through it, but the KA-Hi does. You would still need to power the SWM8 "I think" since it has to power the LNBs.

Thanks again VOS. I hooked up the H21 and still have same symptoms, so it is back on the roof in the AM to see if I messed up a cable to the SWM. If not it looks like the SWM.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

#1053 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

Thanks again VOS. I hooked up the H21 and still have same symptoms, so it is back on the roof in the AM to see if I messed up a cable to the SWM. If not it looks like the SWM.

Yep, look's like it's back up there, but now you've verified it isn't the receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#1054 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

Yep, look's like it's back up there, but now you've verified it isn't the receiver.

Ok, mission accomplished. This AM I went back up on the roof and removed the cable from the SWM to the Receiver and measured 28V - so the cable is good. I reinstalled the cable on the SWM and voila! signal.

So I most definitely have a flaky connector (DTV installed) up at the SWM. But things are working for now - including Whole Home Viewing.

Thanks for the help last night VOS.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

#1055 OFFLINE   Lije Baley

Lije Baley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

Need help. I changed over to a SWM 3 in my RV some months ago and, believe it or not, my $11 in-line signal meter worked to align the dish until the 21 volts overcame it. I have since tried other cheap meters but none would work.

Purchased an ASL-1 and worked it with a cheap meter twice to get a successful setup. After that it didn't give me a signal off the SWM 3. The power out side of the ASL-1 is working, giving me around 18 volts out but hooking up the meter to the 101 gives me nothing. The meter still works with a standard SL3 LNB. I have to slip in the SL3, get a signal and then slip in the SWM. Works OK but a lot of effort.

My question: Shouldn't the ASL-1 work with any meter or will I have to spring for an Acutrac Pro? I really don't need the 119, so is the Acutrac a waste of money? I wonder if the ASL-1 has gone bad since it worked originally with the cheap meter. Do I need a new ASL-1 or is the Acutrac the only way to go? I don't know any way to test the "101 out" side of the ASL-1.

Thanks.

I don't know if the cheaper meters can be made to work. I also have a SWM-3 setup for my fifth wheel. I use the Acutrac Pro-22 with the ASL-1. Like you, I don't worry about 119. I only connect the meter to the 101 port of the ASL-1. While more expensive than the "simple" meter, the Acutrac is a good tool for a quick and easy set up. They can be found, sometimes, a bit cheaper on Ebay.

#1056 OFFLINE   Bob Heymann

Bob Heymann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

Sorry to be such a novice!!

I have a slimline with four wires coming down to my basement which I have connected to four receivers.

I would like to add at least 3 new receivers so I can have a total of seven (or 8) TVs capable of watching DirecTV.

Is there now a way to split one of the four wires from the dish into 4??

Thanks.

#1057 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

Sorry to be such a novice!!

I have a slimline with four wires coming down to my basement which I have connected to four receivers.

I would like to add at least 3 new receivers so I can have a total of seven (or 8) TVs capable of watching DirecTV.

Is there now a way to split one of the four wires from the dish into 4??

Thanks.

Not the way you're thinking, but you can go the "non SWiM" route and add a Zinwell WB68 switch.
Connect the four coax drops and then have eight outputs for your tuners.

http://www.allstarwh...ails.php?id=154
A.K.A VOS

#1058 OFFLINE   DrA

DrA

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:27 PM

Today I called and scheduled to upgrade, my reason: "I want to record and watch another channel at the same time on all my recievers" (currently I only have 2 of my recievers with double cable).
I did not ask for MRV but he insisted and gave me Whole-Home DVR upgrade:
my email shows:
YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION
1 Whole-Home Upgrade $199.00
1 DIRECTV® HD - Swap $0.00
Equipment Total $199.00
ADDITIONAL
Installation Fee $49.00
Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00
Tax $19.40
Order Total Paid* $267.40

on the phone csr promised:
1. sidecar to new dish upgrade
2.SWM 16
3.free new DVR(refused to give model#)
4.DECA

Questions
1. I this the only way I can get subsidized swm installed? I mainly wanted to record while watching another.
2.Are there any disadvantages for having MRV. (don't fix it if ain't broken comes to mind)
3. Is this a good deal since I am a"loyal" customer since 90's?
4.I have my DVRs connected to the internet, some wired and some wireless. Are they going to mess all that?
I read"Please do not attempt to connect your HD DVR to the Internet yourself." here
If you have Whole-Home DVR service, you'll need to get the DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit — a professional installer will provide all the necessary equipment and connect your DIRECTV® System to your home Internet network. Please do not attempt to connect your HD DVR to the Internet yourself. To get the DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit, click here or call 1-800-531-5000
Please help if I have to cancell some things and keep others.
DrA

Slimline, SWM-16, MRV
HR20-700 to HDMI LG 47LC7DF
HR20-700 to Component 40XBR800 40" hd tube
HR20-700 to Dell 22"HDMI /DVI computer monitor
HR20-700 to HDMI Sharp Aquos 70"TV
HR24-200 to HDMI Panasonic AE3000 PJ 120" screen
HR22 to HDMI Panasonic AE3000 PJ 86" screen or Samsung TV.
DECA to Netgear 4500 for internet.
D* since 1994

#1059 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

Today I called and scheduled to upgrade, my reason: "I want to record and watch another channel at the same time on all my recievers" (currently I only have 2 of my recievers with double cable).
my email shows:
YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION
Equipment Total $199.00
ADDITIONAL
Installation Fee $49.00
Tax $19.40

2.SWM 16
4.DECA

Questions
1. I this the only way I can get subsidized swm installed? I mainly wanted to record while watching another.
2.Are there any disadvantages for having MRV. (don't fix it if ain't broken comes to mind)
4.I have my DVRs connected to the internet, some wired and some wireless. Are they going to mess all that?
I read"Please do not attempt to connect your HD DVR to the Internet yourself." here
If you have Whole-Home DVR service, you'll need to get the DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit — a professional installer will provide all the necessary equipment and connect your DIRECTV® System to your home Internet network. Please do not attempt to connect your HD DVR to the Internet yourself. To get the DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit, click here or call 1-800-531-5000

Okay, looking at your setup, due to the number of receivers (tuners) you have, you should get a SWiM-16. You will have 4 cables from the dish to the SWiM-16 and then off of the SWiM-16 you'll have splitters to run a single line to each of your receivers. Even with the single line, you will have use of both tuners for all your receivers.

By going the MRV route, all of your receivers will see each other so you'll be able to play back recordings from any DVR on all your other receivers. Also, with the MRV upgrade, you will get a DECA unit for every receiver that is not a H24/HR24.

If you get the Cinema Connection Kit, you will get an extra DECA and a PI that is used to bridge the coax network for all of your receivers to your home network. This would be as easy as using one of the extra non-used cable runs from when you needed two cables to a DVR and using that cable to connect the Broadband DECA. The ethernet cable that was hooked to that DVR would then connect to the Broadband DECA. With this setup, the receivers communicate over the coax, but are connected to your home network via one ethernet cable.

I would check your on-line account and see exactly what is listed on the order there. If it does not say Internet Connection Kit or Cinema Connection Kit, you might very well not get that with your order. You'll need to call back up and cancel and recreate your order or see if the CSR can get it added.

As for the cost, depending on your account history, CSR's can offer discounts on the Whole Home Upgrade. What you are paying is the full cost: $199 upgrade + $49 service visit.

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#1060 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

my email shows:
YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION
Equipment Total $199.00
ADDITIONAL
Installation Fee $49.00
Tax $19.40

2.SWM 16
4.DECA

Questions

OK, first MRV with the DECA networking is great. You/I can watch any recording from any receiver, for $3/month.
If you don't feel the need to share your recordings, "then" simply adding another receiver should have them change the dish, because the AT-9 [sidecar] is obsolete and if it fails, it's going bye bye anyway.
The SWiM-16 you'd need anyway, so even without MRV, that puppy needs to be used.
As for the "BS" about the Cinema Connection kit, this is because it "simply" needs a coax drop too, and god help the customer who can do something so complicated as run a length of coax. :lol:

"I see Merg" has been faster. :lol:

From your sig, I see two H20s. is only one being swapped and the other going away? they don't have network functions and should get swapped as part of MRV, but not SWiM.

From the CSR:
3.free new DVR(refused to give model#) where is this on the order???
I only see one H20 being swapped.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...