Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM & SWMline general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1301 replies to this topic

#1201 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

so $135+ tax + NC Tax on 100.00 good deal since i am shaving off $12 for box fees on account too. I figured they took good care of me, but I had questions about the install fee, also it appears with new policy only the name of the account holder can complete the deal, so i had to interupt wife at busy work to listen to about 5 minutes of disclosure on contract. What ever happened to spousal approval. I have been dealing with directv, and retention exclusively for about 12 years or so. I make those tech decisions. They said it was a new policy at directv.

Ill be glad to get rid of some HR20s to get new problems with HR34 im sure. ,

I had buy my only hr24 because i was sick and tired of the old boxes, and their built in electric heaters. that was last upgrade, bought HR24 overstock for 180.00 and got 180 credit on bill to guarantee i had at least one modern dvr on my account.

Up until 5 months ago, you couldnt pry HR20 out of my hands because of the OTA tuners. Finally our DMA got HD local in locals though.

Good stuff and thanks for the reply. Looking forward to HR34 an a few less direct boxes in the media room.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1202 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Sounds like i might just want to sell the decas on ebay, to get back some installation charge,

Any speed advantages of ethernet over deca/CCK, or is deca the faster of the two, Im away of the network traffic, but is deca any faster?? Ive had ethernet since day one.

#1203 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

... Any speed advantages of ethernet over deca/CCK, or is deca the faster of the two, Im away of the network traffic, but is deca any faster?? Ive had ethernet since day one.

Though some ethernet advocates might insist otherwise, when either is set up properly and no defective equipment, there is really no perceptible difference between speed of performance between the two.

#1204 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Sounds like i might just want to sell the decas on ebay, to get back some installation charge,

Any speed advantages of ethernet over deca/CCK, or is deca the faster of the two, Im away of the network traffic, but is deca any faster?? Ive had ethernet since day one.

Though some ethernet advocates might insist otherwise, when either is set up properly and no defective equipment, there is really no perceptible difference between speed of performance between the two.

Given that the receivers are the limiting factor, high bandwidth ethernet has no advantage.
MoCa [DECA] protocol is, by design, for video streaming.
A.K.A VOS

#1205 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

correct, 100baseT is still 100baseT not gigabit, so the bottle neck is indeed the hardware in the boxes.

I feel good about the upgrade though. installation was a first though. but things change.

FYI, when i got slimline 5, and two 16x8 switches or whatever they are, didnt have to pay a dime on install. I think i got two free leased HD DVRs too. I cant ever see myself leaving directv in the next 4-5 years, and I think they would just prefer it that way, although I am a little agressive on the retention reps.

#1206 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

If you'd like over the air on the HR34 or even HR24 you can get for $50 a am21 which will add over the air for those receivers. However, I would use your locals over sat to record everything you can, it takes much less space on your DVRs than over the air signals.

#1207 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

i have 2 actually, one for hr24 and one for hr22 or hr23. Thanks.

So the HR34 can record 5 and watch 1 from list. but if watching live tv, just record 4 correct.

Does the OTA tuner add anything into that mix? or still 5 total record streams.

#1208 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,006 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

So the HR34 can record 5 and watch 1 from list. but if watching live tv, just record 4 correct.

Correct

Does the OTA tuner add anything into that mix? or still 5 total record streams.

Still 5 total.

#1209 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

I am running 3 hr21's, 1 hr23, 1 hr24 and a hr20-700. Swm16 with decas at all the appropriate boxes. Slimline 3 dish.

The problem is that the hr20 does a lot of searching for satellite still and the others occasionally. The hr20 also will not stay connected to the network. Any advice?

Just installed Whole home dvr service on 7/30 and although a long time customer it all seems Greek to me now.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#1210 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,934 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

However, I would use your locals over sat to record everything you can, it takes much less space on your DVRs than over the air signals.

That depends somewhat on the composition of your OTA channel. If it is a dual 720p channel or sharing with several other subchannels, the MPEG4 compressed version many not be a whole lot smaller than the MPEG2 compressed version. As the PQ of the original goes down, the bandwidth required to represent the associated artifacts goes up. Obviously this doesn't apply where the provider is getting their signal using more direct means than the multiplexed OTA feed.

This is somewhat similar to what happens to successively saved JPEG images; each generation is working with a more and more artifacted original that looks less like continuous tone and more like dithering or half-toning. This source material doesn't compress at all well and not too many generations down the line, the files become progressively larger.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1211 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

At my condo, I self-installed an swm 3 (lnb) dish. I have two receivers, one of which is a dvr. No multi-room viewing. My new neighbor has signed on with Directv who used my dish to hook them up. Now, the neighbors say the recordings on my dvr are on their dvr, and the shows they recorded have disappeared. I don't know if they have multi-room viewing or not, but is this even possible?

#1212 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

At my condo, I self-installed an swm 3 (lnb) dish. I have two receivers, one of which is a dvr. No multi-room viewing. My new neighbor has signed on with Directv who used my dish to hook them up. Now, the neighbors say the recordings on my dvr are on their dvr, and the shows they recorded have disappeared. I don't know if they have multi-room viewing or not, but is this even possible?

They must have MRV, to see your recordings.
One of you needs to have a bandstop filter installed where the coax comes into the condo. This will block MRV between units.
Sharing a SWiM may cause problems as if one user adds more receivers, it can cause the other to not be able to use theirs.
A.K.A VOS

#1213 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

One of you needs to have a bandstop filter installed where the coax comes into the condo. This will block MRV between units.
Sharing a SWiM may cause problems as if one user adds more receivers, it can cause the other to not be able to use theirs.

Thanks, very much. I will inquire further from neighbors.

#1214 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Not sure why the neighbor's local recordings would disappear though.

#1215 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Not sure why the neighbor's local recordings would disappear though.

Frankly, was too worried about that because they weren't the ones posting here. Perhaps things change when the SWiM/DECA is setup correctly.
A.K.A VOS

#1216 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Frankly, was too worried about that because they weren't the ones posting here. Perhaps things change when the SWiM/DECA is setup correctly.

After discussion with my neighbor's roommate, I confirmed that they do have MRV, but I'm certain that they could not see my recordings on their dvr because the shows didn't match up at all. All of the mysterious recordings are now "gone" from their dvr and they can record and stream with no problems. All receivers in both units work properly simultaneously. Man, man, man. How do these things develop?

#1217 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

After discussion with my neighbor's roommate, I confirmed that they do have MRV, but I'm certain that they could not see my recordings on their dvr because the shows didn't match up at all. All of the mysterious recordings are now "gone" from their dvr and they can record and stream with no problems. All receivers in both units work properly simultaneously. Man, man, man. How do these things develop?

How many receivers total between the two condos and what receivers? And do you have yours Internet connected? If you don't have a deca on your units, which without mrv you likely don't, you still need a bsf for your side as vos said. It will likely cause issues down the road if you don't add one.

#1218 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

How many receivers total between the two condos and what receivers? And do you have yours Internet connected? If you don't have a deca on your units, which without mrv you likely don't, you still need a bsf for your side as vos said. It will likely cause issues down the road if you don't add one.

Four receivers total between the two condos. I don't know what they have, but I have an HR-20 and an H-24, no deca, no internet. They do have MRV, probably deca. I am going to follow up on the bandstop filter issue, to be sure. Out of curiosity, what are some of the common issues that might be caused without a bsf?

Edited by cbhpi, 07 August 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#1219 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Four receivers total between the two condos. I don't know what they have, but I have an HR-20 and an H-24, no deca. They do have MRV, probably deca. I am going to follow up on the bandstop filter issue, to be sure. Out of curiosity, what are some of the common issues that might be caused without a bsf?

Well besides you or your neighbor both possibly having access to the other's internet connection should either of you install a CCK which needless to say may cause issues.

But I also think you may actually need two DECA BSFs. One installed on the main coax lead in to you or your neighbor's condo to isolate the two networks.

An another on the tuner input of your HR20 to prevent the DECA signal from the H24 from reaching and potentially interfering with the HR20's satellite tuners.

#1220 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

Well besides you or your neighbor both possibly having access to the other's internet connection should either of you install a CCK which needless to say may cause issues.

But I also think you may actually need two DECA BSFs. One installed on the main coax lead in to you or your neighbor's condo to isolate the two networks.

An another on the tuner input of your HR20 to prevent the DECA signal from the H24 from reaching and potentially interfering with the HR20's satellite tuners.

Thanks for your input. I'm following up with the filters.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...